Code of Conduct
    Morning Star

Default Quick trip to the Scent Bar (Feb 8)

I know this is awfully short notice, since they close in less than 2 hours, but I'm being impulsive. I haven't been there for a while, and need a fix. I might grab some food at Kings Road Cafe right after they close.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 9th February 2009 at 07:15 AM.

Default Re: Quick trip to the Scent Bar (Feb 8)

Have fun. Buy some Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913) while you can!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 8th February 2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Have fun. Buy some Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913) while you can!
    This is probably a sign that I should be hitting the Ernie Gallo board soon, but I know exactly where that fragrance is located in the store, among the hundreds of bottles there.

Morning Star

Angela was working The Scent Bar today, since Ashley (the usual Sunday SA) was apparently out sick. I spent the early part of my stay trying out the Six Scents: Series One line. For me, the standout was the first one, called No. 1. Lot of good fruit in this one, although I mistakenly thought that grapefruit was one of the notes, it was actually lime. The cedar and cinnamon in it prevent it from becoming just another glorified fruit salad. I haven't decided yet whether it is full-bottle-worthy, but I definitely like it.

No. 2 smells a little like the sea (one of my favorite accords), but the longevity was so short I just couldn't take it really seriously. The only other of the series which made an impression on me was No. 5. It's very hard to describe. It's very musky, with a bit of frankincense. My first thought upon smelling it was, "Hmmm, this smells ... naughty." Whether this convinces me to buy some eventually remains to be seen.

Other than that, I retried a few fragrances that I had not tried in a while, one of which was Frank No. 2. I still love the plum and cognac in this one. I almost bought a bottle, but am going to think about it a little more. I also almost sprung for a bottle of M. Micallef Gaiac, since I love gaiac wood. But I am going to road test it a bit more to see if it's worth the high price tag ($176 for 100ml).

I ended up walking out with just a few samples, not having bought anything.

It sounds like you had a lot of fun, even if you did not buy anything. Always a good excuse to go back and try some more perfumes. In any event, one should not buy a perfume if one is not sure.
    Evenstar

ohh how i wish there'd be some like scent bar here....they would have to kick me out after a while like they do to drunk people in a bar....

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ohh how i wish there'd be some like scent bar here....they would have to kick me out after a while like they do to drunk people in a bar....
    We're spoiled here in Los Angeles.

i've been wanting to go for a while now, since hearing about it.

whats it like? is it a bunch of girls working? does anyone else come in? i must say, as someone thats generally new to the whole thing, id be a pretty awkwardly shy 20 year old coming in to smell a bunch of stuff (and i typed out a list, too!)

I recently got a sample of Micallef Gaiac.... it's pretty amazing stuff, but sweeter than some people will like (not me, I think it's perfect).

I'm generally not a big fan of LA, but I am jealous of all you who can drive to Scent Bar.

Actually it's good that we don't have something like a Scent Bar around here, because if we had.. i'd had gone bankrupt sooner, rather than later

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    We have been kicked out

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    We have been kicked out

hahaha whats the world come too...earlier it was alchohol abuse...now it's perfume abuse...

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    We have been kicked out
    Asha might be indulging in some hyperbole here. Unless she's describing an incident where I was not present, it might be more accurate to say that the entire store closed down while we were still sniffing things, and we were put out onto the street to continue our conversation. In any case, it's a nice place to have around. I didn't bother to ask Angela this afternoon how hard the recession is hitting business. I'd really hate for the Scent Bar to end up being a casualty of economic war.

Yes, A, that is the incident I was referring to. I think we really were kicked out, but in the nicest way. I remember the time you and I were there (after LeLabo) we closed the store down also, but it seemed like Ashely sort of wanted us to stay 'till closing.

I've been in there once (I live in Vegas) and it was a nice experience. It is quite small but I was the only customer.
    I had an Oriental SA (is she still there?) Very professional.

Certainly would recommend the store to anyone in or visiting the vacinity.
    Paul

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcc View Post
    I had an Oriental SA (is she still there?) Very professional.
    That's Angela. She was the one working yesterday, although normally it is Ashley working on Sundays. They both do a very good job.

I wonder if anyone has been to both Aedes and ScentBar. Perhaps they could compare the two. I know for one Aedes was absolutely astonishing. I mean everything was perfect, the setting, the SAs, the frags. Aedes, is very small, and I get the idea that ScentBar is small as well, perhaps by design. I would love to visit Scenbar if I ever find myself in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcc View Post
    Oriental SA
    When are you from, pre-intergration?

Someday I will make a pilgramage to LA so I can go to the perfume shrine that is the Scent Bar
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Yeah. I too only live 5 minutes away from Scent bar and it is really nice. Very small but they have a lot packed in there. They really do give you free reign to try anything you want and dont ask you to leave. Any sample you want they will make it, no questions as long as you are not abusive. The fact that they get so many exclusive releases really makes it a nice treat have in LA. Three streets away is Le Labo and a few miles away is Saks, Neimens and Barneys who carry a nice array of scents.