Code of Conduct
    Morning Star

Default Quick trip to the Scent Bar (Feb 8)

I know this is awfully short notice, since they close in less than 2 hours, but I'm being impulsive. I haven't been there for a while, and need a fix. I might grab some food at King's Road Cafe right after they close.

Default Re: Quick trip to the Scent Bar (Feb 8)

Oh, I wished I had seen your message before. I have been working on our taxes...
    Mmm, have to try the King's Road Cafe some time.
    Let us know if you smell something new and fantastic.
    Evenstar

Oh man! I was feeling a quick trip there this afternoon, too. LOL I read this as soon as I got home after deciding not to go.

Morning Star

I just got back after chowing down at the Kings Road Cafe on a vegetarian quesadilla. I've never had bad food there, and it's conveniently located right down the street.

Angela was working The Scent Bar today, since Ashley (the usual Sunday SA) was apparently out sick. I spent the early part of my stay trying out the Six Scents: Series One line. For me, the standout was the first one, called No. 1. Lot of good fruit in this one, although I mistakenly thought that grapefruit was one of the notes, it was actually lime. The cedar and cinnamon in it prevent it from becoming just another glorified fruit salad. I haven't decided yet whether it is full-bottle-worthy, but I definitely like it.

No. 2 smells a little like the sea (one of my favorite accords), but the longevity was so short I just couldn't take it really seriously. The only other of the series which made an impression on me was No. 5. It's very hard to describe. It's very musky, with a bit of frankincense. My first thought upon smelling it was, "Hmmm, this smells ... naughty." Whether this convinces me to buy some eventually remains to be seen.

Other than that, I retried a few fragrances that I had not tried in a while, one of which was Frank No. 2. I still love the plum and cognac in this one. I almost bought a bottle, but am going to think about it a little more. I also almost sprung for a bottle of M. Micallef Gaiac, since I love gaiac wood. But I am going to road test it a bit more to see if it's worth the high price tag ($176 for 100ml).

I ended up walking out with just a few samples, not having bought anything.

Newbie question: If you haven't bought anything at Scent Bar during a visit, will they still give you complementary samples, or does one have to pay for the samples? (I've bought stuff each time -- the few times -- I've been there.)

They are usually willing to make 1 or 2 if you ask.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Good to know, thanks! I was worried I'd commit some kind of faux pas for asking without buying.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Aznavour View Post
    Good to know, thanks! I was worried I'd commit some kind of faux pas for asking without buying.
    This was the first visit during which I have asked for samples without having bought something, but I have seen many people do it before. I think if you were to become an egregious offender of the SAs' goodwill, it might become difficult to score samples. But otherwise I'm sure it's OK.