Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question What the heck makes it smell like BABY POWDER??

My nose has a lot of learning to do, but I'm having the same problem over and over with drastically different perfumes: I keep smelling baby powder!?!

In the name of all that is fragrant, what is in therethat makes it smell like that? What are the guilty notes? Or combination of notes? A chemical reaction with my skin? I have a real problem with baby powder, and its a deal breaker for me in an otherwise lovable scent. If anyone knows, please tell me so I can be prepared for it, if not avoid it completely.

Also, when people use the adjective "powdery," is this what they're referring to?

Default Re: What the heck makes it smell like BABY POWDER??

i heard iris has a powdery/makeup/lipstick smell to it, and i seem to identify it in iris-prominent scents (like prada IDH)
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 9th February 2009 at 12:25 AM.

Iris, heliotrope often get that connotation.
    I also throw (perhaps incorrectly) amber into that category. Not always, sometimes amber is buttery-rich. But other times it seems to lend a sort of powdery aspect. Problem is, amber is a very basic sort of basenote. Therefore often seen in the drydown.
    Not a fan of that sort of scent, I sympathize with you.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

speaking of baby powder, is it just me or does YSL Elle smell IDENTICAL to Burberry Brit for men?

I thought baby powder note is more vanillic/tonka beans (eg JPG Le Male smells way more powdery than even the barbershop powder my barber uses)? If I recall JPG Le Male doesn't have Iris in it.

Although as noted above, the drydown of Dior Homme can be interpreted as slightly powdery (that Iris thing).

Disclaimer: I'm only a very, very apprentice DIY perfumer myself.

Blog Entries

EM - there was a great thread on this a while back. In particular, check out JaimeB's answer. It really helped me locate powder in a lot of my frags (I LOVE powder), and pin it on the right components. Also loved by me are powdery musks. There are some musks that give a nice powdery feel, and the combination of these with other powder-makers like benzoin, vanilla, and tonka is just heavenly to me. The powdery thing makes the musks smell really clean and almost hunger-inducing.

Go Powder!

In general, i find that a powdery aspect robs a fragrance of some of its "masculinity" and, in my opinion, for it to belong in a fragrance it has to feel like it was designed to have it in the first place. Case in point: Bond's Chez Bond smells like an otherwise masculine fougere with great aromatic woody elements, but is uselessly neutered by some sort of lingering feminine powdery note.

Its like...why is that stuff there in the first place? Save it for the gender benders (Infusion D'homme), i say.

Powdery notes are usually thanks to the interaction and dry-down of aldehydes with other ingredients. At the beginning aldehydes add brightness and sparkle, as the scent progresses they add a softness and rounded 'powdery' quality.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

To me it's the heliotrope and aldehyde components that gives it that J&J accord.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 9th February 2009 at 03:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    EM - there was a great thread on this a while back. In particular, check out JaimeB's answer. It really helped me locate powder in a lot of my frags (I LOVE powder), and pin it on the right components. Also loved by me are powdery musks. There are some musks that give a nice powdery feel, and the combination of these with other powder-makers like benzoin, vanilla, and tonka is just heavenly to me. The powdery thing makes the musks smell really clean and almost hunger-inducing.

Go Powder!
    Thanks for the link RP, JamieB had it down to a science. No offense against your powder preference, its just got too many unappealing associations for me to appreciate it.

Odysseusm, you've got me curious about amber now. Since its fossilized tree sap, I was wondering what it could possibly smell like. I'll have to test with caution.

The notes in my baby powder line-up:
    benzoin, orris root, tonka bean, vanilla, tumeric, heliotrope, iris, amber, aldehydes.

Thanks everyone!

Yes...Infusion d'Homme by Prada.I just don't know, what the creators were thinking of.I mean, what kind of man wants smelling like a baby?!

Opoponax can get very powdery as well, I noticed. Especially in Carthusia Ligea. I happen to love opoponax in all its incarnations, so I love it there, too - but it's definitely crumbly-dry-powdery. Maybe all resins have a slightly powdery aspect to them?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Some of the synthetic musks have a baby powder type smell. Orris root can give that powdery effect in many frags as well.