Code of Conduct

Default Best masculine florals for men

After wearing a sample of Narcisso Rodriguez for men for a few days now, I've determined that I love it and it's quite bottle worthy, and will be picking it up this weekend along with a few other bottles (Jill Sander Scent 79, Aigner Black, and Bois Vanille by Montale to be precise)

I love the use of violet in it, and how it uses the floral note prominently while not compromising the masculine nature of the scent.

In that vein, what other scents for men have a prominent floral note that are still masculine? I'd like to exclude rose based scents from this discussion if possible because they are mentioned frequently and indepth here and there are many threads about them already. Let's not clutter this one, and focus on other floral notes, such as violet.

The other stipulation to make things interesting is as follows: Nothing that can be considered unisex. I know, I know, we can have a three page discussion on the nature of unisex and how all fragrances are unisex and blah blah blah but lets use our better judgement. Florals with a masculine heart only please, designer, niche, in production or discontinued, have at it!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best masculine florals for men

A few good ones are Givenchy Insense, Amouage Reflection, Amouage Gold and Geo Trumper Ajaccio Violets. However, all these are 10 times more "floral" than Narcisso Rodriguez is.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Anteaus always had a strong rose accord to my nose.

I think Montale's Aoud Damascus is pretty masculine.

Parfumerie Generale Louanges is a wonderful floral. It's unisex though, but I urge you to try and sample it.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    A few good ones are Givenchy Insense, Amouage Reflection, Amouage Gold and Geo Trumper Ajaccio Violets. However, all these are 10 times more "floral" than Narcisso Rodriguez is.

Thats perfect, I'm looking for a stronger floral smell while still being masculine. You see like a lot of guys I simply was not comfortable at all with florals when I was younger, now that I'm settling in and more comfortable with myself I'd like to explore them more.

I have vague memories of wearing Insense when I was younger but it struck me as sweet and cloying, again this may have just been my old viewpoint on it. I

I've never worn an Amouage or Geo F Trumper before, I will have to check them out.

Amit: I will check that out, I'm currently wearing Querelle by PG and loving it, I just need to find a way to boost longevity since it's rather short lived I'm afraid.

Aaron: I love Antaeus, I would have loved it even more had I been able to smell it in the original formulation however I don't get any rose from it. Ripe fruits like plum and a red wine smell that may combine to give a rose accord, but no actual rose.

Wow, it's crazy how body chemistry differs. Querelle was one of the longest lasting PG's I had ever owned. Do sample Louanges, and also check out Psychotrope while you're at it (very unique and very crazy----I love it!).

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Caron pour un Homme, the most classic lavender ever, need I say more?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th February 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 (lovely interpretation of rose)

Chanel Egoiste (Rose)
    Dior Homme (Iris)
    Czech & Speake No.88 (Rose)
    Montale Black Oud (Rose)
    Eau Sauvage (faint Jasmine)

I recently got hooked to Comme des garcons 3....apparently there's lots of synthetic stuff in this but it doesn't bother me...It supposed to smell like some 'artificial flower' and I can tell you that whoever had that image of an imaginery flower smell, he/she has done a great job....this stuff is just awesome.....I'd say you must give it a try too....from the sample that I tried, I thought it started off as being fruity but after complete wearing from the bottle that I bought, I realized it's a floral.

While I agree with this Trumper scent, it' has almost no longevity.
    For me very nice floral is Gaultier Fleur du Male Cologne.

I don't know about best, but Kenzo Power is a very good, very wearable masculine floral.

Post Re: Best masculine florals for men

Jardin du Nil...MPG. Not often talked about, but this fragrance has a strong floral component to it.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

In addition to the good suggestions above let me add a couple:
    Ungaro III -> muguet
    Dior Fahrenheit -> hawthorn
    YSL Jazz -> carnation
    Prada Infusion d'homme -> neroli, iris
    Penhaligon's Quercus -> muguet
    Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana ->magnolia
    Bond No. 9 Fire Island -> tuberose
    Malle Dans tes bras -> violets
    Malle Iris poudre -> iris, violets

Penhaligons Castile!

Musk base with orange flower and rose.

Yum. I might wear it today.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

The original and classic Dunhill for Men. Sharp florals in the opening, turning into a soapy-ish floral woody drydown that is absolutely timeless masculine.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Nino Cerriuti PH the original

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Duo pour homme by Vuarnet. Rich florals.

Take a closer look at Ténéré by Paco Rabanne; one of the first florals for men (lavender, jasmine, iris, lily of the valley) and definately very masculine by todays standards. I urge you to read the reviews here on BN too.

Discontinued, but it shouldn't be impossible to track down a bottle if the motivation is right.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    The original and classic Dunhill for Men. Sharp florals in the opening, turning into a soapy-ish floral woody drydown that is absolutely timeless masculine.
    I'll second Dunhill for Men. Also Equipage, while having other things going on - citrus and leather - has a dirty floral element that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Domenico Caraceni 1913 (lovely interpretation of rose)

I agree.

For male florals though you have to go a long way to beat Hammam Bouquet from Penhaligon's.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I don't know about best, but Kenzo Power is a very good, very wearable masculine floral.
    I second this...

I agree with Kenzo Power, it is nice.

I would also add Cologne de Fleur Du Male. I didn't like the original Fleur Du Male it was like someone flogging you mercilessly with a flower shop. The Cologne though is very light, elegant and wearable.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

With all of the great suggestions offered above I agree with Malle Iris Poudre and Dior Homme the most. Caron 3rd Man has a nice floral heart.

Basenotes Institution

scentseeker - FYI: Narciso Rodriguez for Men has a prominent violet leaf accord. Not violet. They're slightly different smells. Just so you know.

My vote for best men's floral: Richard James Savile Row by Richard James. Runner up: Insense by Givenchy.

Or you could also do what many of us guys do - wear a feminine floral. Some of them are easily worn my men.

Off-Scenter

I'll add my endorsement to Tenere, Iris Poudre, Insense, Magnolia Romana, and especially Jardin du Nil. I'd add Comme des Garcons Carnation, Amouage Gold, plus some great iris scents (though they are properly roots, not flowers): Iris Bleu Gris by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier and Hermes Hiris. For the daring, there are Un Lys, Tubereuse Criminelle, and A La Nuit by Serge Lutens, and Lys Mediterranee from Frederic Malle. Of course I'm probably notorious on these boards by now for wearing Carnal Flower in public, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Or you could also do what many of us guys do - wear a feminine floral. Some of them are easily worn my men.
    Mike: Part of me still feels a little reserved about wearing scents marketed towards women. I do wear a couple of them now, such as Tabac Blonde and Baiser du Dragon, but a feminine floral is too far out of my comfort zone for now. Maybe in a few years as I explore more and get more comfortable I will try a feminine floral, but for now I'll stick with unisex and masculine. However, I will go on a limb here and ask which feminine floral you'd find most wearable by a man, and order a sample from TPC to try out. You only live once right?

Regarding some of the other choices listed:

1: I have tried Tenere before, however it felt very 'dusty' to me, not very vibrant, like a flower dried between the pages of an old book and forgotten in a library. I appreciate it, but it's not my thing

2: I will try Kenzo Power when I go by Sephora this weekend, I've seen it there but never tried it because I'm generally not a fan of Kenzo's masculine line, the exception being Kenzo Pour Homme. I do however, love Kenzo Flowers on a woman, so I am curious to see the take on a male floral.

3: I love, love, LOVE Iris Bleu Gris, and it's one of the few niche scents I would have no problem spending and getting a full bottle of.

4: Prada Infusion Pour Homme is growing on me, I picked up a sample of it and while soapy scents aren't usually my thing, this is amazingly well done and while some here has said it's a touch feminine on my skin it's purely gender neutral and I think I pull it off well. It is bottle worthy to me, however this is a bit of aline ATM, but with spring coming I might have to bump it up. I love going out on one of the first true spring days when the weather is 60-65F, wearing a simple polo and a pair of khakis and looking around at the fresh green grass and the pure blue sky with a perfect fresh scent to accompany me. I have been using Gendarme V for a few years as my fresh scent but I could see Infusion serving as a worthy counterpart.

5: I love Dior Homme on other men, however I can't pull it off personally. The dreaded lipstick note cuts me down every time with it.

6: If I can ever track down a bottle of Dunhill for Men I'm buying it blind, the last two web sites I've ordered it from have had to issue me a refund and an apology saying even though it was listed, they were sold out!

There`s something to add.
    US company Fresh was producing the EDP trio Ombre de Flores - Jasminum, Narcissus and Tuberosa Polianthes. All three are very good examples of masculine flowers. I prefer Narcissus - bitter green scent. While my colleagues are fond of Jasminum on me.

I wonder why nobody suggested Cuir de Russie by Chanel. It shows its ylang+orris heart quite openly, and birchtar is not standing alone. Cuir Etalone by Pierre Cardin has jasmine+rose on balsamic-spicy leather sillage.

Also Knize Ten as leather flowery chypre. Jasmine in it is wonderful - and also in Chypre Coty (paired with rose)! Chypres (and especially chypres fleury) is a nice family to choose from: Boucheron pour Homme (rose+ylang), Bandit Piguet (rose+labdanum), Gomma Etro (Jasmine) etc.

Iris Pallida and Narcisse by L`Artisan Parfumeur are too expensive to get, but I should mention them as very realistic flowers.

As for green violets - try Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene, Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe, Mark Birley for men, Un Air du Java by Decleor and Knize Two by Knize.

And Iquitos by Alain Delon - oriental (ginger+woody) rose scent.
    I better stop for now.
    Last edited by moon_fish; 10th February 2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: mistaken name
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My vote for best men's floral: Richard James Savile Row by Richard James.

That would be my first choice also. Followed by one not mentioned yet ... Antidote by V&R. Fits perfectly into the "floral masculine" category to me. I just wish it had a bit better projection.