Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Amber Absolute

I'm surprised only one review in the directory mentions the powderiness. I find it a very powdery fragrance but that's part of it's "cutting edgeness" for me to wear as a man, part of why I find it a daring fragrance.

And I'm surprised at people comparing it to like amber of L'Artisan or saying "oh it's just another amber". I find it quite funky and provocative in feel. But then I have not worn a lot of ambers, but I certainly have smelled a number of them that seem pretty much like the olfactory equivalent of a sugar daddy or toffee.

Nor do I see how you can just compare it to Amber Sultan and find it wanting. It's so different I don't see how one reflects on any evaluation of the other.

I had a party to go to tonight I planned to wear it at but then I was talked out of it by someone who said it was "just another amber" and well the party was well served by my wearing no 88 instead, but I think I would have been just as "sharp" to use the word she chose in Amber Absolute.

I will now go put on the much maligned scent that was dis-invited to the party!

PS I also get notes of blue cheese from it that I haven't seen mentioned.
    Last edited by habitdeparfum; 9th February 2009 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Blue cheese... just what I always wanted from an amber fragrance. Now where is my Serge Lutens Ailes de poulet de Buffalo to layer it with.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I don't get any veined cheese out of it, that's for sure. However, I do love it and don't think it's at all "just another amber." It's the most intense, sharpest amber I have with an incredible warmth and depth in the dry down. I say don't listen to the debbie downer friend of yours, and wear it out with pride!

I thought this fragrance smelled like pure birthday cake frosting, but maybe that's just my noses opinion
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

what does "powdery" smell like?

a female coworker of mine have said these fragrances i wear smell "powdery": Bois du Portugal, Chergui, and a couple of others i can't remember off the top of my head.

each time i was surprised she said they smelled powdery but then again maybe i don't know what powder smells like. i thought powdery was a dry baby powder kinda smell.

am i wrong?
    Last edited by union1411; 9th February 2009 at 04:57 PM.

It's hard to describe "powderiness" but I would call Chergui more soapy that powdery!

I would prescribe nothing less than a BODYSLAM followed by a STRANGLEHOLD for Debbie Downer!!!

I didn't like it when I first tried it, but I do agree, it's no where close to other Amber's. I thought it best suited an older women in her 50's..preferably a chic parisian. Not my cup of tea, but I'm willing to give it another try. There's something really dry and dark about it that I liked when I first tested it.

Basenotes Institution

I thought it was just OK when I first smelled it.

Ruggles and I smelled it again a couple months ago at Neimans, and I loved it. I need to smell this again. I can see why everyone get's excited about it.

Now, mind you, I don't think it will ever replace Ambre Sultan as my favorite amber. But, I finally got the magic in the Amber Absolute that everyone mentions.

Beachroses loves this, hopefully she'll see this thread and chime in also.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    what does "powdery" smell like?
    More info here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=213437

I love it and said so in my review. I don't think it's a maligned fragrance at all. Though, it's not powdery on me (nor did I think of blue cheese) I first smelled it when niche fragrances were sorta new to me. Now I can really see, smell, and feel the differences in the ambers I smell and I find it unique and if I had the money, would own both Ambre Sultan AND Amber Absolute.

I got to try this today and wow....I am not a huge fan of amber....atleast that's what I thought...this is an amazingly sweet & spicy amber fragrance.....I didn't find it powdery on my skin......longevity seems to be good as well...it's been 3 hours and it's definitely there on my wrist.....I think it's fantastic....wonder why it doesn't get any attention on the board....TV & TL just dominate most of the discussions about Private blend.....definitely a must buy......

+1 gupts. except the "must buy", coz it cost 285 AUD here =(
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 6th August 2009 at 08:26 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    +1 gupts. except the "must buy", coz it cost 285 AUD here =(
    mate...I don't pay retail price for any fragrance

Where else cud u buy it for less then ?
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 6th August 2009 at 10:39 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

TF Amber Absolute is amazing. It has its animalic similarities to Ambre Sultan, but the two have distinct characters. I do not get any powderiness. However, perhaps what the OP describes as "blue cheese" is what i interprete as animalic. Whatever it is, its "dirty", and that is what makes Amber Absolute a winner for me.

I live in the tropics and must say that heat brings out the "dragon" in AS. A sensual dragon, though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

It's my SOTD and it is amazing!

I get no powder or blue cheese from it. If you want blue cheese, try Velvet Gardenia.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It is an amazing powerhouse one of the best ambers I have smelt , use it with caution however

I find it has incredible longevity and comfortable/moderate sillage on my skin. Definitely a comfort scent that I enjoy, though it's just a bit too "resinous" or thick for me. Not all that comparable to Ambre Sultan, which is (so far) the best amber fragrance I've tried.

Anyone get the 'aged wood in an attic' smell in this one? It smells dated because of it. Big turn off but I like the dark thing it does.

Absolutely I get this.. it must temper the sweetness a bit, but I totally know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Anyone get the 'aged wood in an attic' smell in this one? It smells dated because of it. Big turn off but I like the dark thing it does.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Absolutely I get this.. it must temper the sweetness a bit, but I totally know what you mean.
    I think it's a great scent, I just don't want to smell like it.

It's sort of an odd combination between sweet amber + that aged/musty attic wood. I've found it difficult to wear, personally, but won't deny it has some serious power to it.

And the color of the juice itself.. one of the darkest colored juices I've ever seen.. I think the darkest in my wardrobe. Not going to try wearing this with a white shirt.

I think it's a great scent, I just don't want to smell like it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    And the color of the juice itself.. one of the darkest colored juices I've ever seen.. I think the darkest in my wardrobe. Not going to try wearing this with a white shirt.
    I bought an ounce in a split a year ago and remember the color, really dark. I wore it only once and knew I didn't want to own it.

It's a weird one for sure. It doesn't necessarily smell dated, just old. If Tuscan Leather is like buying a brand new red Ferrari than Amber Absolute is like buying a Bentley from the 60's.

I like the analogy and think it's fitting, though I'd much rather have the Bentley from the 60's only because the red Ferrari is cliché

The feeling from spraying AA on is a little strange though.. like diluted syrup or some epoxy. I guess those thoughts wouldn't cross my mind if it was contained in the dark glass TF bottles vs. a clear glass atomizer.

I bought an ounce in a split a year ago and remember the color, really dark. I wore it only once and knew I didn't want to own it.

It's a weird one for sure. It doesn't necessarily smell dated, just old. If Tuscan Leather is like buying a brand new red Ferrari than Amber Absolute is like buying a Bentley from the 60's.

I've always thought TF Amber Absolute was one of the better Tom Ford fragrances but it also is pretty much a pure amber fragrance with a slight bit of vanilla. The finest pure amber I've tried is Amber Aurea by Profumum and I would love to have a bottle of that one. For the most part I prefer amber scents only when they have a little more darkness or complication added to blend such as: Goutal Ambre Fetische, Farmacia Annunziata Ambra Nera, or Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan.

I have read that this scent is sweet, on the other side that resembles the ambre Sultan (which is dry). Finally, what is it? More sweet, or more dry?
    I haven't the opportunity to try it, to have a personal view..

I don't know where you live Sailim, but places like the Perfumed Court ship samples worldwide, so you can smell everything yourself.

Dependent

I'm a huge amber fiend, and a huge portion of my collection revolves around the different amber presentations. AA is hands down, one of the smoothest smelling Amber. Everything seems to be in the perfect proportion. Ambre Sultan is an over-weight, while AA is lean, and much easier to wear in my weather.