Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Givenchy Gentleman

wow.
    Love it I just got a 50 ml bottle and I find it awesome, intoxicating and full of charisma. I can believe I missed this one before.
    I get tobacco, musk and .. some vetiver all executed impeccably , I feel like going and buying myself a 100 ml bottle.
    If you like masculine fragrances with an edge this is the one.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Thumbs up Re: Givenchy Gentleman

I agree. I love it. I'm on my second bottle

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman

Basteri, I regard GG as an outstanding treaty on patchouli. Realized it after buying a vial of at an artisan's shop.

It has been reformulated, but nonetheless, the new version is awesome.

Congrats, stellar fragrance. Beware, though, GG is the king of sillage and you will quickly become "cologne guy" if you don't bridal your application. Seriously, the sillage is good from a 100 yards out. To me this is a CEO power scent.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Fernando, did u buy new or vintage???

the vintage is more civet and les sweet.
    the nw is more foucused on rose and patchoulie.

I love it! It is one of my all-time favorite scents. Very classy and sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    I love it! It is one of my all-time favorite scents. Very classy and sexy.
    My thoughts exactly! One of the best ever IMHO.

I keep trying to like this and fail. It's not one to attract women with.

Of a similar ilk but with a far nicer drydown is Jasper Conran Mister.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

it was a swap and it must be the new formulation but a winner. I keep smelling myself and I will reapply after my night shower.
    This made it among my top... 10.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I have had very different experiences with my GG (both old and new). I always get women standing very close or outright commenting on my frag when I wear GG. It is a monster of patchouli and civet, the cinnamon in the opening is rather excellent to my nose.

It is a perennial favorite, I have 2 bottles and will probably acquire more....

Women are very attracted towards it with me. It should fit your personality. If you come across weak or insecure or don't have any badass look at all, things like these won't work

I did not care for how this fragrance smelled on me, but a female friend did, and found it sexier than nearly every other scent I had worn around her.

Always glad to see this wonderful stuff get space around here. Love both formulations that I've tried.

I also get some ... earthy/ dirt note and a shy gourmand twist, I would not say chocolate nor cocoa , maybe is a "thick" vanilla.
    This one is a big two thumbs up.

(Mr Turin gives two stars only, before opening the Guide I was almost sure he will give it 4, 5 stars... go figure)
    Last edited by Basteri; 9th February 2009 at 09:30 PM.

It is a great fragrance all around.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    Women are very attracted towards it with me. It should fit your personality. If you come across weak or insecure or don't have any badass look at all, things like these won't work
    I can assure you I definitely don't come across as weak or insecure and women often describe me as having a very naughty air about me - this fragrance just doesn't work on me. I revisited it last week to see if my nose liked it any more but it didn't. You see I felt the same about Conran Mister, but that has grown on me. A recent girlfriend was intoxicated by that, she loved it, and would love the taste of it on my face, it made her go weak at the knees. It made her feel funny in the lady area too, all good in my opinion... Funny that the reviews in the Directory absolutely slate it. I find the opposite, I really like it now, but didn't at first.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Givenchy Gentlemen is truly an awesome fragrance. It resides in my TOP 5 firmly. The tobacco note is great without any dirty or dated smell. Along with other notes it just works wonder for me. Like one of the reviewers said, "... it smells like a million dollar! ..." . Oh Yeah!

I've never wore it to work yet. But I try to spray some on weekend whenever possible. :-)

I loved it from the first sniff, so I'll join in this chorus of praise!

That s why Basenotes is so amazing . I swaped it to you because i hate this frag that i had bought blind . I hate civet so of course i simply can t enjoy G. Gentleman.

Looks like our swap was great

I m glad you like it that much, enjoy !
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Thank you for reminding me of this scent!
    I just checked my bottle and I'm running out so now i'll have to run tomorrow to get a new one! (of course!)

cheers!

smeller

Used to be a favorite of mine, but right now (I weared recently the vintage) it's just too bitter from beginning to end. Yes, there are wonderful notes if you are willing to search them, but the overall feeling was just bitterness.

I have both vintage and reformulated. Next time I will revisit the reformulated. If I can remember well, I will not regret the experience.

Givenchy Gentelman is pure class.....When I smell that fragance I think in something good, well made, exclusive, 5 stars. For trully gentelmans.

I m seriously thinking I must to buy one bottle soon.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    Givenchy Gentelman is pure class.....When I smell that fragance I think in something good, well made, exclusive, 5 stars. For trully gentelmans.

I m seriously thinking I must to buy one bottle soon.
    Aha! now I remember. The "million dollar" comment was from YOU!
    Last edited by abc1234; 10th February 2009 at 03:23 AM.

I like the drydown, but it does lack dynamism and can become slightly irritating at times after an hour or so. If anyone is interested, I have new mini bottles of it (.10 ounce) that I can sell for $7, shipping within the USA and with tracking number (and including the paypal fee too), total.

update
    Givenchy gentleman just made it into my top 5

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    Too bad many people would believe a post like this... It has nothing to do about weak or insecure, but you're right, one shouldn't wear any certain parfum unless they are willing to do so...

No need for any badass look... just good taste... and a willingness to learn!

The message is clear. Badass look is not needed indeed, that's why i said or. Badass look won't help you. Weakness or insecureness will ruin it, making it incongruent. Go for AdG or some other metrosexual scent if you're metrosexual or an emo-boy

I love this fragrance. At first the civet and patchouli was tough to get used to, but I've learned to love it.

Im trying to get this as we speak
    hope I like as much if not more than you

This is the second fragrance I ever owned and I remember it being magical as a 17 year-old at a high school dance. Given to me as a gift, and what a gift it was...charming.
    Last edited by laroche; 29th April 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    Aha! now I remember. The "million dollar" comment was from YOU!
    Lol! Yea, I use that expression sometimes for to explain something like Givenchy Gentelman....but the best exlample for that sentence is Van Cleef and Arpels. Far.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    Lol! Yea, I use that expression sometimes for to explain something like Givenchy Gentelman....but the best exlample for that sentence is Van Cleef and Arpels. Far.
    dude, I'll have to admit that I followed your reviews very closely and they are all spot on. VCA and Tsar are also happily in my possession.

But I don't see much new reviews from you. Please keep it coming.....

AromiErotici

Butt kickin patchouli, vetiver and civet.
    Overapplication of this is detrimental for sure, but a great scent in moderation. I haven't tried the newer version, so maybe it's more subdued.

How does the old versus new compare to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    dude, I'll have to admit that I followed your reviews very closely and they are all spot on. VCA and Tsar are also happily in my possession.

But I don't see much new reviews from you. Please keep it coming.....

Thanks a lot buddy, my ego is very up now! I will do it! Thanks a lot!

William Saroyan.

I'm considering to buy a bottle in near future, after all, it's one of the safest, most discreet, inoffensive and tasteful options if someone wants to wear a classic, ultra-masculine, elegant scent (TRULY opposed to the androgynous, postmodern, rather generic male scents made nowadays) still available, which hasn't been, FORTUNATELY, discontinued by the fragrance house's greed for easy and more youth- oriented profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    wow.
    Love it I just got a 50 ml bottle and I find it awesome, intoxicating and full of charisma. I can believe I missed this one before.
    I get tobacco, musk and .. some vetiver all executed impeccably , I feel like going and buying myself a 100 ml bottle.
    If you like masculine fragrances with an edge this is the one.
    Waht? No patchouli? You don't smell the patchouli?

It has taken well over a year but I believe I'm finally beginning to understand this monster fragrance. I've never owned the old version. I had a bottle of the new version but just could not get on with it. That got dumped then I bought another bottle in December 2008 in order to give it another try. I think the problem is that, up close and shortly after applying it really is so pungent and strong but every now and then I catch a waft of it and I like it. I don't love it but who knows, may be this time next year.
    Bijan, you are one of the greats!

AromiErotici

I recently received a sample swap of a reformulated version of GG. I do not know how many reformulations there are of Gentlemen, but the sample I wore in no ways resembles the original that I am familiar with.

I also did not care for it in the least. The vintage is strong, but I enjoy it in small amounts. The newer version I'm referring to was just sub par and ordinary. I wanted very much to like it, but at least I know now that only the original will suffice for me.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 14th September 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I recently received a sample swap of a reformulated version of GG. I do not know how many reformulations there are of Gentlemen, but the sample I wore in no ways resembles the original that I am familiar with.

I also did not care for it in the least. The vintage is strong, but I enjoy it in small amounts. The newer version I'm referring to was just sub par and ordinary. I wanted very much to like it, but at least I know now that only the original will suffice for me.

Ive never had to chance to try the vintage, just curious in what way is the current sub par and ordinary? do u mean watered down? thanks!
    Last edited by MFJ; 23rd May 2009 at 02:47 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Ive never had to chance to try the vintage, just curious in what way is the current sub par and ordinary? do u mean watered down? thanks!
    I guess having worn the original ruined the experience of the reformulations. Maybe had I not ever smelled the OG, the new version (s) would be okay, but even then, I would not like it enough to own it.

The quality of ingredients and their strength were far superior to my nose in the vintage. Yes, it is a STRONG creation to say the least......and it simply gives the impression ( to me) that the new version(s) implemented cost cutting incentives.

The new version simply doesn't stack up IMO.

I haven't worn GG in over ten years. I remember it being very sweet and leathery, with a superb oakmoss and a somewhat animalic base. It reminded me of Ho Hang on steroids. However, I got sick of it after wearing it for about 3 months, because of its potency, which I found overbearing over time.

I agree that this one needs to be applied sparingly.

I second that request: what's the difference b/w old and new?

I have to confess that I only smelled the original quickly at a store, didn't spend any time with it, and didn't like it. I may have written it off too quickly, without giving it a chance.I can't even remember what it smelled like, but that I didn't really like it.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from the people who like both versions, and what it is they like about the reformulation.

This is some good stuff...

Hillaire

I recently got a big bottle of the vintage juice, and I can tell you it almost bears no resemblance to the new stuff. It is much more spicy and sharp and[B] pungent. It is fantastic! [/B]

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 14th September 2010 at 09:13 AM.

Hillaire

if pungnet is one of the main contributing factors from the vintae, i reckon id stick to the current formular
    I meant pungent as a compliment. Pungent versus flat, I guess. i don't think, honestly any man who can smell could possibly prefer the current formula.
    I should also remark on a dark honey effect in the drydown and a bright camphorous note in the opening that lend the old stuff so much intrigue!

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    Fernando, did u buy new or vintage???

the vintage is more civet and les sweet.
    the nw is more foucused on rose and patchoulie.
    Sounds like one should have BOTH formulations!

I haven't any experience with GG...yet, but will chime in soon enough.

Thanks, Chat Diabolique!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Wow, I just got a vintage de-cant and it truly is a mythical fragrance. Patchouli lovers need to give it a try. The new version is better than no version, but why didn't Givenchy include it in their re-issued line-up? Pity.

AromiErotici

Hillaire described the new formula being "flat" as compared the the OG. That is an absolute accurate way to put it. It is FLAT compared to the depth of the vintage.

Whenever I wear the vintage version of Givenchy Gentleman, I always feel it's the best scent every made. For me it's a benchmark scent in terms of art, skill, and technique. Most modern niche and designer fragrances look decidedly one dimensional and simplistic compare to the depth, amplitude, and complexity of Givenchy Gentleman's construction and its evolution through time.

I saw the writing on the wall with regard to its reformulation/attenuation, and I bought enough vintage backup stock to last two lifetimes. I can't imagine being without it in this lifetime, and in case there's another lifetime, well, then, I'll be prepared.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 25th May 2009 at 05:46 AM.

I very much prefer the new version to the old version.

I'm a BIG fan of patchouly, almost all my top 5 scents are patchouli heavy and this one definately ranks either first or second, depending on my love for mazolari lui of that day
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

I can`t stand it.. IMO, it`s very out-dated, and smells like that cheap after shave stuff you can buy at the supermarked.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

Of a similar ilk but with a far nicer drydown is Jasper Conran Mister.
    Ok earlier me, we need to have a word.

By the way, are you hungry? Because you might enjoy this slice of humble pie. Since you've just rebought it because you now wonder what it was you disliked about it.

See my thread elsewhere...

Damn I hate having to teach myself a lesson...

Does anyone know when the reformulation occurred? I had a bottle about 12 years ago, and loved it. I just couldn't ever find a good time to wear it (I was in my early 20's), so I parted with it. I've been thinking about getting another bottle, but can't find any locally to sample.

I've tried this a few times on paper. The patchouli for me is somehow a very 1960s flower power patchouli and I mean that in a good way. Then its wrapped in with some tobacco which creates a leathery accord. Its somehow both very formal and quite earthy and carefree. Its as if a trust-fund hippie chick met a Bond Street suit in late 60s London. And for that I love it.

For my tastes though I find it just a tad too strong. I love wearing a few sprays of Kouros but even one spray of GG is phenomenal! Its very cheap in the UK though so I imagine I'll pick it up in the future.

Overall though, its what a good fragrance should be - interesting, memorable, distinctive, and just plain smells great.

It took me 2-3 wearings to appreciate GG. It's class & elegance in a bottle (vintage juice).
    Suited for special occasions.

Having not tried Givenchy Vetiver, which one is easier to wear ? Givenchy vs Vetiver that is

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    .....(Mr Turin gives two stars only, before opening the Guide I was almost sure he will give it 4, 5 stars... go figure)

He gave the reformulated version two stars. As he said, "...Once great, now a sad little woody leather".

Whether or not you like the smell, the vintage formulation is one of the few real paragons of blending in masculine perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcr View Post
    I've tried this a few times on paper. The patchouli for me is somehow a very 1960s flower power patchouli and I mean that in a good way. Then its wrapped in with some tobacco which creates a leathery accord. Its somehow both very formal and quite earthy and carefree. Its as if a trust-fund hippie chick met a Bond Street suit in late 60s London. And for that I love it.
    Perfect description!!
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc