Code of Conduct

Question To scrub or not to scrub?

I'm curious- how long will you wait for a fragrance to open up, if you don't care for the opening notes, before you give up and scrub it off?
    And in the same vein, how long will you tolerate an off-putting opening if you know you will like the base and middle?
    And do you have a criteria for deciding?

I tried Mitsouko again for about the 6th or 7th time and I have decided I don't really like it until I am about two hours in. At that point I can finally smell the peach and the clove softens and it becomes (and stays) lovely on me. However, if it was not such an interesting scent and so intricately designed, I probably wouldn't put up with the opening at all. It kind of feels like trying out a speciality food a bunch of times hoping that my palate will mature.

In general, I will give a fragrance an hour to develop; then if I still dislike it, I will scrub. I also have one or two samples of fragrances where I am not overly fond of the opening but I know if I just wait ten minutes I will like it. I probably won't buy full bottles of those, but they are interesting enough to keep and wear again.

So what do you do?

Default Re: To scrub or not to scrub?

I used to give it time to develop unless it is unbearable. Sometimes it is pretty interesting how the top notes can completely change in both good and bad meaning.

I am very patient and merciful. I give it time to develop. If it seems it just is not for me, then, I try layering it with something, I deem, is compatible. AND, I give it several opportunities over days, weeks, or even months. I want to be absolutely sure that I will make a wise choice in purchasing or swapping it out for something else. My current patient is 'the new' L'Air du Temps.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

I only wash off if it makes me feel unwell. Otherwise, bring it on. I would never have fallen head over heels in love with a number of scents without letting them settle the hell down first.

I am fairly patient in this regard (and no other).
    On occasion, I would have done well to get rid of it immediately (Angel).

Avalavande....I hate to say it, but --well, just report back!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Top notes are very important to me, so if I absolutely hate the top notes I'll usually
    scrub the fragrance off
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 9th February 2009 at 10:32 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I am fairly patient in this regard (and no other).
    On occasion, I would have done well to get rid of it immediately (Angel).

Avalavande....I hate to say it, but --well, just report back!
    I know Nostalgie! There has got to be something that will resuscitate this (once grand, I'm sure) madame. Even this evening as I head out to assist with the Youth at my church, I have laid her over a spritzing of Healing Gardens White Tea/Rain water and the madame is ENVYING Cabotine and White Linen. What will I do with her?
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Usually I'll give something all day if I don't have to be with other people, so I don't have to worry about fumigating them with stink. (Sometimes my skin just makes things smell disgusting - I've checked this with my husband.)

But I can think of 3 perfumes that gave me such an immediate revulsion that I had to run to scrub them off within minutes of them hitting my skin: Angel, Cabochard and First by Van Cleef & Arpels.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I too try to tough things out if I am on my own, just in case there is a miraculous drydown. The last time I struggled with this policy was when testing Soir de Paris, but I managed to stay the course. Eeeeugh!

A perfume has to be utterly gross before I will rush to the sink - top contenders have been S100%Love, Aftelier's Pink Lotus and her Moroccan one, Amarige, Nuit Noire and Narcisse Noire.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/