Code of Conduct

Default Total Starter - SMELL BOMBS - UNCONVENTIONAL Aims...

Hello All,

I was wondering if you might help me.
    I am working on a number of projects to do with claiming public space and am going to produce some fragrance bombs.

My aim is to take a particularly boring grey and un welcoming street (or set of streets in London and fragrance bomb the whole thing, with a changing flow of scent, something akin to sensational graffiti

I would like to develop a range of smells but i need the following criteria for it to work.

I need ingredients that are relatively inexpensve and STINK!!! I mean humm hard.

The best case scenario is that i can drop a little pouch or object behind a piece of street furniture out of sight and that it will 'smell out' the surrounding 10 meters downwind. I then drop a different bomb every ten meters to create an invisible smell garden as one walks down the whole street.

they should last for as long as possible.

I would love advice on the following:

1. Where can i find out what smells induce which moods?
    2. What types of smells are particularly nice but very strong.
    3. Where can i find the ingredients?
    4. Can I fabricate / distill / strengthen / mix / collect them myself

I live near hampstead heath in london where lots of useful plants grow im sure.

thanks so much
    i look forward to your replies
    Last edited by vahakn; 9th February 2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: needed a change

Default Re: Total Starter - SMELL BOMBS - UNCONVENTIONAL Aims...

You're kidding, right? I'm going to have to keep my eye on you
    Last edited by silverbullet; 9th February 2009 at 10:25 PM.

no i am quite quite serious.

please, if you have any info that may help me, please do write me a serious reply.

I am here to learn as much as I can olfactorally

Vahakn, this is a really cool project. You're nuts and you should find excellent company here.
    My only thought is something like incense or candles would last longer, I would think, than something sprayed or sent off in one go like a "bomb". You might propose the idea of huge candles on the Home Fragrance and DIY sections of this website and see what people come up with.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 10th February 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Going off the candle idea, there are flameless candles that work (I think) by a small light bulb that heats up scented oil in a pan above the lightbulb. I think they're plug-in, but it should be fairly easy to rig one up using a battery - basically all you would need is a small light bulb (perhaps from Radio Shack if you have those on your side of the pond) some wire, and a battery. You could easily use a soda can to house it (and to help contain the heat) and make a pan for the oil out of aluminum foil. Plus, maybe the can would be unobtrusive enough so as not to be noticed.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?