Code of Conduct

Default Do You LIKE Oud?

I'm not 100% convinced that I do. It has a vaguely medicinal quality to it that, I imagine, can be off-putting to some people. I definitely don't appreciate its aromatic qualities to say, leather, florals, spices, vetiver, incense, vanilla, amber, and other traditional notes. I do like it's deep, resinous and long-lasting qualities, though

I've tried various oils from different houses and a few of Montale's products. I'm wearing Montale's Attar from a new decant as my SOTE, and trying to determine if I like it enough to purchase a full bottle led to this question. Probably not, if I have to question it.

Most of the threads on this subject center around which HOUSE makes a better oud. My question is different: assuming that you've procured a high-quality product, do you LIKE it?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 10th February 2009 at 01:28 AM.

Default Re: Do You LIKE Oud?

I'm still learning about (and struggling with) this note. It is odd, off-putting, medicinal, quirky. And yet it is languid, piercingly pure, mood-altering. It is totally unlike anything else... and that is a good quality, I think.
    I can't say I love it, yet. But I am coming to appreciate it. I would only wear it once in a while. But it intrigues me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I sure do. It takes some interaction to really get it, but once you do, it's a comforting, familiar scent that makes you smile when you smell it. It has massive development and such a good ride it is.

Basenotes Institution

Once I smelled pure aoud oil, something inside of me 'clicked' and I love it now.

Of course, there are badly done aoud scents (I despise some of the Montale's and I have always hated M7), but the aoud note as a category (and as a note) I love.

I like it. But it is clear that not all ouds smell alike. And my perception of quality oud in western fragrance may not well align to tastes in Asia/Middle Eastern countries.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 10th February 2009 at 01:52 AM.

I love it. Thanks to Montale.

I like oud when it's paired with something, but in general, I don't have enough experience of it to say whether I like it pure. I've never smelled pure oud oil.

It's not a holy grail note, the way, say, clove, tuberose and myrrh are for me, but if well used I can quite enjoy it.

After much consideration I can honestly say... no, I don't like it. I can't live with it, it's a scrubber for me.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Yes, I do love it.
    Mostly in pure oil, for the pleasure of myself. Me, I and Myself.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Yes, I do love oud a lot, especially Arabian oud.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Yes, love it. But not in perfume - which is mostly synthetic oud anyway - I prefer the pure oil.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

well, firstly...i think ur mistakin Attar for a oudh based scent.... if u really wanna know wht Oudh smells like (within montale line) thn Black oudh and oudh lime along with royal oudh are good starting points.

Attar has no oudh in it...Attar is a combo of rose, sansalwood and honey (tradionally). the medicinal note in the opening is the blast of sandalwood oil.

in scents like, oudh damascus, white oudh, oudh shiny etal, th oudh content is toned down quite a bit since not many take to oudh all tht easily. and its done by using oudh is a very effective and smart way..

Oudh is pretty strong in nature snd has a unique quality to it, it's holographic depth in in terms of its woody aroma. with careful application you will find some love for this note. even if you dont, it's not very hard to understans why.
    Last edited by jenson; 10th February 2009 at 09:53 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I havent smelt oud oil before, nor any Montales. My first exposure to oud was via YSL's M7, which i tried to like but just couldn't. Then i recently got Aoud (Homme) by M Micallef, and it is one of the most surreal scents i have experienced. If M Micallef's Aoud is a good representation of oud (any comments? no thread-crash intended), then yes, i like oud.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Most of the threads on this subject center around which HOUSE makes a better oud. My question is different: assuming that you've procured a high-quality product, do you LIKE it?
    I would try the pure oud oils first, especially the sweet/soft/fruity Indonesian ones to understand what the real thing smells like. There's an amazing variety of notes, types and overall vibes between different types of oud and it's worth trying some good representative of each genre, or least a few of the high-quality Indonesian, Indian and Cambodian ones. You may be surprised to find out that many of them smell absolutely nothing like the "oud" in M7 or Montales. And their depth, power and complexity is something to be appreciated.

i am odd....i hate aoud i hate rose but i like aoud and rose together alot. the other montales like aoud lime are vile. but black aoud and white aoud with the aoud rose combo is incredible

whn it comes to rose, i only liked it in Oudh Damascus. lovely stuff.

i love it!

Blog Entries

no. it smells like my aged red-toothed aunt in india. BLEURGH!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    no. It smells like my aged red-toothed aunt in india. Bleurgh!
    lmao :d

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    lmao :d
    lol. you know it's true jenson! you know EXACTLY what i'm talkin bout!