Code of Conduct

Arrow Dior Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur?

After much time in the forums i have narrowed down my choices to Dior Eau Sauvage (original version) and Chanel Pour Monsieur (original version). I have tried both (sprayed on my skin)..and i can say i love both..But i only can choose one due to lack of funds.

How similar are these two frags? both are strong citruses. Would getting both be a waste of money?

In terms of longevity...which would be the longer lasting frag?

Apologies for the numerous questions...i'm a newbie and with not much experience when it comes to frags. My previous frag was AdG and Polo Blue for 4 years.

Thank you in advance to fellow basenoters who give a reply.

Default Re: Dior Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur?

I can only give a half answer. For me, Dior's Eau Sauvage is one of the greatest scents. It is a classic, it has amazing depth for a citrus EDC style perfume. I have worn it for many years with great enjoyment.
    I can't comment on the Chanel, have never tried it. But I can't imagine it could surpass ES.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Though they're both classic citrus perfumes, these two are actually quite different from each other. I was asking the same question (of myself) about a year ago. I ended up buying Chanel PM. I'm very glad I did, since I was in Europe at the time where it's widely available; I had no idea how much harder it is to get in the U.S.

When I got back to America, I picked up a bottle of Eau Sauvage. I'm really glad that I did.

I now own, wear and love them both. Both are part of my warm-weather rotation. Neither is particularly long lasting, though both linger as beautiful skin scents.

Chanel PM is a classic (some would say the classic) masculine chypre. Timeless and elegant. It was my SOTD yesterday, in fact. I will often wear this to more formal occasions.

Eau Sauvage is a vaguely animalic variation on a classic cologne. My guess is that at the time of its release this was intended as a more informal scent. Time has made it a little less daring and a bit more conservative. ES took me longer to "get" than Chanel PM. It's deceptively complicated. Like the other Routnitska creations I've smelled, it takes a number of wearings to really perceive all the many things going on in it.

So the bottom line: if you like both, get both. If you need to get one first and have access to Chanel PM, I might grab it simply because, outside of Europe, it can be a bit hard to get. Otherwise, you might decide on the basis of whether you prefer slightly more formal (C PM) or slightly less formal (ES) frags. Hard to go wrong either way!

In my country Malaysia, Chanel PM is everywhere.haven't seen the concentree version before. ES is also widely available. Malaysian weather is hot n humid, perfect for either one.

Is CPM and ES definately short lasting frags or does it differ from skin to skin?

Thanks PhinClio and odysseusm for the comments..really helped me a lot.

I think that getting either one of them would be a waste of money - they're short lasting scents where I live, so I can't imagine them lasting longer where you live. You would really have to be taken by their admittedly exquisite odors in order to buy them.

To my mind, there are plenty of other long lasting citrus scents around to choose from (e.g. ADP Colonia Assoluta, Art Of Shaving Lemon, Aqua di Portofino, D&G Maculine and heaps of citrus-woody ones) so why bother with short lasting classics?
    Renato

Whatever you do, don't listen to Renato, besides the fact that he's not responding to your question, you'd be depriving yourself of experiencing two of the great classics of perfumery. Your question wasn't "what is a long-lasting citrus? The question is "which should I pick?" Renato is known for his reading comprehension problems, so it's not his fault.

Many years ago when these fragrances were created, longevity wasn't what it was today. It always makes me laugh when the SOLE complaint of a fragrance is longevity, as though one is prohibited from re-applying the fragrance. The fragrances mentioned by Renato are average at best - and the Art of Shaving one is really quite poor, IMO. The ADP is ok, but it's certainly doesn't hold a candle to either the Chanel or DIor.... even if it may last longer.

Pour Monsieur is THE classic men's chypre. It's stately and elegant. The citrus plays less of a role overall then citrus does in Eau Sauvage. The transition from citrus to the oakmoss base is impressive and very smooth.

Eau Sauvage is one of the great cologne-style citruses, but the addition of herbal notes and hedione set it apart. The ES base is woodier then PMs.

Just because they both have citrus doesn't mean they're in the same category/genre.

Because the Pour Monsieur (original) is getting harder to find in the US, and the Dior isn't, I'd say go with the Chanel first. Owning one does not preclude owning the other, especially if you want to have both as references for the classics.

I like both of these fragrances but do not own either one of them because the longevity of each is very poor on my skin. Dior's Diorella is definitely longer-lasting than Eau Sauvage. Luca Turin considers it a perfected Eau Sauvage and an excellent masculine, even though it is marketed to women. Diorella is the one I prefer and wear myself.

smeller

In short:

Pour Monsieur = very rich citrus/neroli topnotes, with powerful oakmoss drydown

Eau Sauvage = more linear, with lime on the top and beautiful jasmine (hedione) in the development

As BBBd said, you shouldn't get impressed on the "poor longevity" comments. I have no problems on this field with any of these. For myself, I don't need a "longer lasting citrus", although there are some "longer lastings" that are much less classy.

I admire your effort to narrow down your choice, and your options are certainly great.

I would say: get Chanel if you want something more formal and exclusive, or get Dior if you want a more versatile, all-purpose, more modern, but still a top notch and timeless frag.

Since you mentioned AdG and Polo Blue, I believe Eau Sauvage would fit your needs better than CPM. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    In short:

Pour Monsieur = very rich citrus/neroli topnotes, with powerful oakmoss drydown

Eau Sauvage = more linear, with lime on the top and beautiful jasmine (hedione) in the development

As BBBd said, you shouldn't get impressed on the "poor longevity" comments. I have no problems on this field with any of these. For myself, I don't need a "longer lasting citrus", although there are some "longer lastings" that are much less classy.

I admire your effort to narrow down your choice, and your options are certainly great.

I would say: get Chanel if you want something more formal and exclusive, or get Dior if you want a more versatile, all-purpose, more modern, but still a top notch and timeless frag.

Since you mentioned AdG and Polo Blue, I believe Eau Sauvage would fit your needs better than CPM. Good luck.
    All things mentioned are right, specially Smeller's remarks on their character - ChpM being more formal than CD's ES. bbBD is also right when saying than longevity was not an issue at the time they were both designed, Gents back in the 1950 / 1960's were not suppose to smell.

Now, since I burn scents (Kouros being the only bomb noticed by thos around me), I spray them on my clothes. This will make them last longer.

i love both dearly

if forced to make a choice, it'd be Dior Eau Sauvage. it's sparkling quality, amazing progressions and woody base...make it up for 3 perfumes in one. bonus: it's lasts longer than Chanel PM on me (however, 10-15 shots of PM and it'll linger with me whole day)

I'd endorse either as a classic and agree that the longevity is not that much of an issue, although Renato did offer some nice alternatives.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is a bit more user friendly, less animalic...

Both are exquisite choices, but for a smoother (slightly powdery) finish, PM is the one. Eau Sauvage is a bit more 'bracing' so to speak. Such a difficult decision, both are sublimely executed, and such classics.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Unlike others, Eau Savage has the longetivity of dishwater on me. While it smells wonderful going on and I appreciate the artistry behind it, I'd vote for PM by a mile, although, as an earlier poster said, this is a more "formal" fragrance than Eau Savage which may be better as a day to day scent.

If you have to get one, get Chanel PM.

But if I were you, i'd ditch both and then get ES Extrême and then Chanel PM Concentrée.

Blog Entries

Between the two, Chanel PM without hesitation. I remember posting on here months back that Eau Savage reminded me of a big old bowl of Froot Loops.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Chanel PM.

I have Chanel PM Concentree but told it is pretty much the same as the original. It is fantastic! I sold my blind buy Eau Savage because I couldn't accept its sharp lemony and rotten orange kinda of hints.

Man
    i was about to get PM but changed my mind
    I think I changed my mind again to getting it
    lol
    dang BNers

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Man
    lol
    dang BNers
    LOL. dude everybody has different taste. From what I gather, you might prefer ES over PM

But it is just can't go wrong with PM, it is so classic and well rounded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Man
    lol
    dang BNers
    I have a sample of Eau Sauvage you're welcome to have, just shoot me a PM and I'll pop it in the mail. Can't help you on Chanel PM though you can find it in quite a few department stores.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

I've never smelled the original Chanel Pour Monsieur, but I've smelled the Concentrée many times and I like Eau Sauvage better.

If you like both but can't afford two whole bottles, you could save money and buy smaller amounts of each. Check out http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/ or http://flacon.ambaric.net/ for ideas.
    Last edited by d4; 11th February 2009 at 03:04 AM.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

I've never smelled Chanel PM Concentree, but most reviews of it (both positive and negative) say it's totally different from Chanel PM. PM is a chypre. Isn't PM Concentree an oriental?

Brief search in eBay revealed two versions Chanel PM ( not Concentree ). Do anybody know what's the difference?

Green colored: 3.3 oz

Yellowish colored: 3.4 oz

A follow up question would be, how different is between original Chanel PM vs. the Concentree ?
    Last edited by abc1234; 11th February 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Hasupk, judging from your wardrobe, I would suggest buying both...LOL

Blog Entries

I've never seen that green version before, only the typical gold-colored juice.

Strawberrynet's overpriced anyway.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

abc1234: I believe the difference in color between those two bottles is a photographic illusion. Chanel PM (1955) is a very slightly yellowish green (more green than yellow). The concentree is more yellow than green.

My 2 cents worth: I like both PM (original) and Eau Sauvage. In fact, I'm wearing both today (well, mostly PM, but I put a spritz of ES on one arm for comparison). After 6 hours, I can still detect PM if I sniff close to the skin; the ES walked out the door after just a few hours. However, I agree with others who've said that you should accept these fragrances as exemplars of their type and not whine about them not having the longevity of an EdP oriental. Sure, the PM Concentree lasts longer, but it smells different too - it's nice, to be sure, but it's not as fresh and uplifting as the original, IMO. In any event, the relative merits of PM and PMC have been debated ad nauseum for as long as I've been a Basenoter.

If (or more likely, when) I whittle my collection down to 10 fragrances that I'll wear until they plug me in the ground, Chanel PM and Eau Sauvage will both be on the list.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 11th February 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

They're both good so there'd be no mistake if you got the "wrong" one. But of the two I'd take Eau Sauvage myself.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I can't really speak on the Chanel, but as for the Eau Sauvage...it pretty much sucks. I don't get the hype with this fragrance. It does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    abc1234: I believe the difference in color between those two bottles is a photographic illusion. Chanel PM (1955) is a very slightly yellowish green (more green than yellow). The concentree is more yellow than green.
    If (or more likely, when) I whittle my collection down to 10 fragrances that I'll wear until they plug me in the ground, Chanel PM and Eau Sauvage will both be on the list.
    Thanks Snafoo! I have a sample of PMC and like it a lot. It indeed smells very much like Tiffany for Men. Which triggers my interest in PM the original version. I've ordered a sample of PM last night from TPC, so we will see.

Thank you guys and gals for the comments and feedback. Today i bought Chanel PM. It was not cheap but i really feel it was worth it. I really enjoy this frag. Initially the top notes were a little "old" to my nose but about 30 mins later PM's real character came through and it was just awesome. 4 sprays (three to neck and one to wrist) lasted about 7-8 hours.Surprisingly it lasted longer than Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme..lol. I wish there were more modern frags like this rather than the usual crap being churned out.

Btw...does anyone get a slight sweetness in the drydown during the last few hours?

Arrow Re: Dior Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur?

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    I have a sample of PMC and like it a lot. It indeed smells very much like Tiffany for Men.
    Yes. I'm not sure I could tell them apart, but I haven't tried them side-by-side.

Which triggers my interest in PM the original version. I've ordered a sample of PM last night from TPC, so we will see.
    I'm curious if you'll think the original is similar. By most reports it's not, but I haven't smelled it myself.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Pour Monsieur if you favor spice, but Eau Sauvage if you favor citrus.

Both are elegant, crisp, masculine and very French fragrances.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm curious if you'll think the original is similar. By most reports it's not, but I haven't smelled it myself.
    hehe..... just got my sample PM edt from TPC. Have it on my wrist next to PM Concentree. To my nose, they are very similar. PMC named correctly that it is a condensed version of PM. PMC lasts way longer and has much more silage. The dry down is almost identical.

Great! I can have peace with my PMC then.

I love them both and I would chose them both without hesitation.

Newbie here...

Was just to post a thread posing this exact question, thought I'd search first just in case it had been asked before, and to my surprise it has!

I'm reasonably new to the world of fragrance, but have developed a liking for warm, spicy, evening type fragrances. I'm looking for something more suitable for casual day time wear though. Problem is I find most citrus based scents terribly dull and uninteresting. ES and PM are exceptions for me - both being delightfully fresh and interesting at the same time.

Can't for the life of me decide between them though... am looking for something just for day to day university wear. I see both have longevity problems, this isn't a massive issue however I guess if one lasts a fair bit longer then that would be a positive for it.
    My 'tested' list gives an idea to other sort of smells I am fond of.

With that, any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

hehe..... just got my sample PM edt from TPC. Have it on my wrist next to PM Concentree. To my nose, they are very similar. PMC named correctly that it is a condensed version of PM. PMC lasts way longer and has much more silage. The dry down is almost identical.

Great! I can have peace with my PMC then.
    Thanks for this test and post.

I can end this quest.

Post Re: Dior Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur?

Both deserve a mention in the great catagory.I lean a bit toward Eau Sauvage, and I do so because it lasts forever on me, has a sparkling opening, and has a more pronounced drydown. Can't go wrong with either, but I would choose Dior's Eau Sauvage.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

RDFCHarry,
    Welcome to Basenotes and hearty kudos to you for successfully searching the forum before posting your own. And on your first post no less!

In answer to your question, I would say that PM is marginally better for casual day wear than ES due to the slight animalic note in the latter, but it's really a toss up. Both are quite appropriate for business and formal occasions, but that doesn't stop me from wearing either to work, where casual dress is the norm.

Bottom line: I don't see how you can go wrong with either choice.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th November 2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I started this thread and I'm happy to report that I eventually bought both ES and CPM, although not at the same time. At first both smelled similar but after months of constant usage, I really see the differences between both. For a more casual event I would go with ES as the bright citrus opening is one of the best I know of and the drydown although I find it hard to detect sometimes is quite good too. CPM is more of a formal/office scent for me. I found CPM to have better longevity compared to ES.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Sur la Plage

Chanel pour Monsieur - by a long, long mile......
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th November 2009 at 01:25 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I definitely respect both fragrances for their historical significance. however, perhaps due my skin chemistry, both fragrances have abysmal longevity and sillage.

Wearability is the issue for me with both Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur. Personally, I would not purchase either. As I write this, I am experiencing what I truly expect to be a modern gentleman's classic, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Just my 2 scents.

Best,

TJ

Get them both! You will not regret it! Eau Sauvage and Chanel pour Monsieur are possibly the two best men's scents of the 20th Century. Even LT gives them both five stars.

I own and love them both. But I tend to enjoy Eau Sauvage more, even though it doesn't last as long. But both are surely worth owning.

i own both...I like Chane'ls PM better...it's a bit smoother in the drydown. It is however one of the lesser Chanels imho.

Most Chanels are terrific quality frags with great longlivety and sillage...PM falls short on both. Grow some balls and get somthing really "sauvage" like Chanels Antaeus, Egoiste or Puig's Quorum.

both are magnific !! you can choose one of two and not to regret because
    both are incomparables and magnifics and can wear in any moment.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

I own both, both are equally good. Eau Sauvage is fresher but CPM last longer on me.

Just get any one, you will end up getting the other anyway.

BINGO

Proud owner of Eau Sauvage, but sadly, haven't tried CPM yet. I haven't seen it anywhere around town, besides the Concentree version which I don't care for.

Eau Sauvage will always be in my collection and most likely in my top 5. It smells expensive, and I love every phase of the fragrance. I may have a tip for those who're having longevity issues.

I have gotten more scent life out of ES when you place the bottle in fridge over night. I swear by it.

Second, when you spray it on, first apply to your bare chest and then once you put your shirt on, open the top and spray down towards the chest so a slight amount hits the shirt. I'm not one to influence spraying anything on clothes, but this really helps with this particular scent.

I easily get 10 hrs out of Eau Sauvage and others smell it on me within a 5-10 ft radius.

What I love the most about ES is that out of all my collection, its more of skin scent rather than a cover up. I tend to like fragrances that are more of a additive to my skins natural aroma, rather than a replacement.

Over time ES dries down to a sweaty lemony vetiver on my skin, that I can't get enough of.

I'd say get both if you've test driven the two and feel equally in love with each.

Basenotes Plus

I love both of them, but I ended up buying Eau Sauvage first because it seemed to be less formal.
    I love cologne.

I can never imagine NOT having both

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

I'm now very tempted to go for both!
    Think I may get Eau Sauvage now, then a few months down the line, when funds allow it, add Pour Monsieur.

Wore an Eau Sauvage sample all day yesterday and was very confused by the longevity.
    After only an hour or so, I could no longer smell it on my skin when I put my wrist to my nose.
    Despite this; for about 10 hours after, I was getting gorgeous whiffs of lemon regularly. It was almost as if it were the sillage from a fragrance of someone walking past me, but it was definitely coming from me!

Over all it was a fantastic experience, but I wish it I could have smelt it close to my skin for longer.

Sweating or getting wet (rain) seems to resurrect Eau Sauvage. Alas after that, not a whiff is left.

I have both and would take Eau Sauvage in a second. PM is rather powdery for me and is too similar to so many other fragrances. (Many much cheaper) Eau Sauvage does not last as long but is wonderful. Very citrusy and some green mixed in. I am seeking out a good deal on what will be my third bottle. Good luck.