Code of Conduct

Default Creed Bois de Portugal

yes!
    Ive wanted to know what are some close smellers to this
    I REALLY want to get this but its expensive so I want SOME sort of idea what it smells like
    (I cant get a sample atm)
    let me know

BTW I do love safari, antaeus what not
    so im think i would love this as well?!

Default Re: Creed Bois de Portugal

Guerlain Heritage

Im assuming the portugal is the superior one to heritage?
    do you recommend buying heritage or creed
    and is the creed worth the price over the guerlain heritage

How do you want BdP so bad if you do not even know what it smells like? BdP is a little different so you seriously should go to TPC and get a decant.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 11th February 2009 at 02:55 AM.

dude, just think about that Frank Sinatra wears BdP as a hint how it should be! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    dude, just think about that Frank Sinatra wears BdP as a hint how it should be! ;-)
    LOL. With that said, I must admit, as an owner of a bottle, it is my go to fragrance if I am going out and having fun at night.

BdP is awesome! It's like you have a F430 in your garage but only take it out during sunny weekends onto a winding country road. Special is the key word I think.

Look at the notes and read the reviews in the BN directory for BdP. Then, if you understand what you are looking for, you should be able to find something much cheaper. Some possibilities are: Azzaro, Carven Homme, and Dunhill Desire (other than frags already mentioned). It depends upon which notes/accords you want, especially after the top notes fade. Another idea is Michael for Men, which you can sometimes find cheap on ebay. It's strong with fruit, tobacco, and patchouli. If you want lavender, though, this would not be the choice. You need to tell us.

Smells like a violin.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I had a bottle. I sold that bottle. I regret selling that bottle. I now want a bottle.

I'll drink to that!

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy BdP blind....

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Whatever you do, DO NOT buy BdP blind....
    Buy it blind. You won't be disappointed.

That's my experience.
    Last edited by abc1234; 11th February 2009 at 04:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Buy it blind. You won't be disappointed.

That's my experience.
    Telling someone to spend that much money with no idea what to expect is bad advice every time.

I'm with KMF, look around for samples, there are places where you can get enough to form an opinion for a couple of bucks, and Creed still (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) offers an assortment of samples via mail for a reasonable price.

That said, I like the stuff, but I've yet to find something similar enough to recommend as a replacement. And it's quite a frequent topic.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

MY .02

It's one of the best fragrances made

Don't buy it blind

It's somewhat similar to Heritage (which I wore today), but better

Buy a sample from The Perfumed Court!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I truley think I will love BdP so I dont think I will need to sample it
    I just feel like I was born to be BdPer (all jokes aside)

I tried this several times and recently bought this, having been tempted by a price I couldn't refuse. Note, this scent is different when sampled from a vial compared to a full blown spray. It is extremely powerful and very rich, deep, and complex. Definitely not a daytime scent in my opinion. I don't know if I like or not but I suspect I'll have a love it/hate it relationship with it. I will say this, the "old man" note that was prevalent with the vial trials is not as detectable when sprayed; I'm not sure why that is. Given the price, I would recommend a TPC sample before buying a bottle.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Heh. From notes and comparisons, I thought the same. Ended up with a sample -- Didn't really care for it.

Do agree with the Heritage similarity, though. (And, oddly enough, I LIKE Heritage.)

abc1234 : I like your comment (Ferrari and BdP)

Me? I love it. I bought it blind , did not understand it, hate it, put it back in its box and kept it there for a month. I reached back to it and BANG!! it went through my brain like a bullet. I, now, adore it, I think is my most special fragrance , the one that I reach for the special serious occasions. Nothing really smells like it, pure class, luxurious olfactory pleasure, the smell of greatness and success.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sample it first. It is easy enough to find. I see them as cheap at $2.99 on ebay for carded samples.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    How do you want BdP so bad if you do not even know what it smells like? BdP is a little different so you seriously should go to TPC and get a decant.
    My thoughts exactly.

just think about that Frank Sinatra wears BdP as a hint how it should be
    Franks dead! He quit wearing fragrances ages ago. Beside, wearing a fragrance just because a celebrity wore it or wears it is probably the worst reason to wear a scent.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

People "truly think" all sorts of crap that turns out to be wrong. Save your money, go to a retailer (you are in LA, how hard can it be to find Creed frags?), spray on a sample and then decide.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Great scent, but definitely sample first; I'm not sure how you can possibly claim you "can't get a sample": there are planty of places to score a sample of this stuff in the U.S. (not to mention name, cough cough)...

That said, Guerlain's Heritage is often compared to BdP. I agree that they are similar, but Heritage lacks the complexity of BdP IMO.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

if you love safari then i think you have the appetite to buy this blind. it wont be way of the mark. (however, you have no reason to buy it blind...but no matter wht everyone tells here, im sure you would buy it blind anyways )

it's a classy oriental. definitely not something you will reach out to wear over jeans and t-shirt. very formal kinds. comparisons with Heritage & PDn New york are true. but, it's not a replica of any of those. each of those scents has it;s own characteristics..it's up to you to find out which one suits your taste.... try ordering samples of all the three! now, wouldnt that be interesting !!

BdP is not that special; it's good, to be sure, but not enough to make me want to buy it blind. Get a sample, wear it, if you like it enough to spend that much money on it, buy it. You have to live with yourself.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    Smells like a violin.
    For some reason, I'm inclined to say that this is one of the best reviews of Bois du Portugal that I've ever read!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Arrow Re: Creed Bois de Portugal

Im assuming the portugal is the superior one to heritage?
    No. What is "superior" is subjective. If price equaled quality, what would that say about your mom?

Héritage is somewhat similar to BdP, but I like it better. KL Homme too.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

I didn't like BdP at first, but then the more I exposed myself to it, the better it smelled to me. Buy it blind, if you don't like it at first, keep it for awhile and it might grow on you, if not, there are many BNers who will buy/trade from you.

BdP is awesome! It's like you have a F430 in your garage but only take it out during sunny weekends onto a winding country road. Special is the key word I think.

BdP is like having a MGB in your garage that you've been trying to restore for the past 20 years but it still has Lucas electronics and smells old.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    go to a retailer (you are in LA, how hard can it be to find Creed frags?), spray on a sample and then decide.
    Bingo!

I live in LA and know for a fact that every Nieman Marcus has a tester sitting on their counter just waiting to be enjoyed.

In retrospect, if I bought BdP blind I would have been overjoyed. But I can also think of MANY fragrances that sure sounded good on paper, the reviews sounded good, they had notes that I like, that if I bought blind I would have been very disappointed. A couple of Lutens come to mind.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Neiman Marcus carries Creed, and they will give you a sample. Here are their locations in California, hope one is close to you;

Beverly Hills
    310-550-5900
    877-634-6263
    9700 Wilshire Boulevard
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Topanga
    818-316-7000
    6550 Topanga Canyon Blvd.
    Canoga Park, CA 91303

Newport Beach
    949-759-1900
    800-395-1036
    601 Newport Center Drive
    Newport Beach, CA 92660
    San Francisco
    415-362-3900
    877-634-6264
    150 Stockton Street
    San Francisco, CA 94108

San Diego
    619-692-9100
    800-200-0522
    Fashion Valley Center
    San Diego, CA 92108

Palo Alto
    650-329-3300
    877-877-3907
    400 Stanford Shop Center
    Palo Alto, CA 94304

I think blind buys are not the sagest way to do things. Try before you buy, and if money is an issue, purchase a smaller decant from TPC, or split a bottle with someone on this site.
    Good luck
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I tried this several times and recently bought this, having been tempted by a price I couldn't refuse. Note, this scent is different when sampled from a vial compared to a full blown spray. It is extremely powerful and very rich, deep, and complex. Definitely not a daytime scent in my opinion.

TNMA
    Had the same experience! This frag really does smell different when sampled from a vial. I'm not sure whether or not I prefer the scent dabbed or sprayed. It is one of the longer lasting Creeds in my experience.

I revisited my BdP sample last night, and all at once it struck me that I remember owning a Pierre Cardin (Pour Monsieur I think) cologne as a young teenager that smelled just like it.

With BdP, I found what Vibert did: "My gripe concerning Bois du Portugal is with the drydown. As the scent develops, a surprisingly soft, powdery note emerges above the ashtray, building a very soapy accord that dominates the base. I hate smelling like soap. It makes me feel uptight and stodgy. Once the soap asserts itself Bois du Portugal transforms from assertively potent to stuffy and, I dare say, elderly in a matter of a few minutes.

What I'm left with is an extended drydown so fusty and so morbidly nostalgic that I feel as if I've walked into a nursing home. What a letdown."

And for a frag that has this effect, I liked Quorum better, actually.