Code of Conduct

Default Arabian Fragrances

Looking over the fence: This month's topic on Osmoz:

Arabian Fragrances

"Amber, golden hues, enigmas… osMoz throws the doors to a secret
    olfactory world wide open. An opulent voyage to the very roots of
    fragrance in this exceptional issue, ranging from Oman to Qatar via
    Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia."

Last edited by narcus; 11th February 2009 at 03:28 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Arabian Fragrances

Very interesting -- a window into a world that is little known in North America. Thanks for posting this!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks, Narcus, for bringing up a subject that has interested me for a long time.
    It's about time we acquainted ourselves with the Eastern offerings.
    I started with the Madini line and then was given a gift of some Oud from Egypt, and now I am trying to sample the Amouage line of fragrances.
    http://madini.com/products/complete_listing.htm
    So many of these are unavailable anywhere outside of the Middle East or India, except maybe London. And so many of them are expensive enough to be prohibitive.
    A search on oud reveals these previous Basenotes threads:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ht=arabian+oud
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ht=arabian+oud
    Probably a search on attars would yield additional results.
    I know that Tigerflag offers some Indian attars and essential oils:
    http://www.tigerflag.com/attar-list.html
    Last edited by purplebird7; 12th February 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Abdul Samad Al Qurashi and Arabian Oud both have locations in London and both have website which you can order off of. My favorite Ajmal sadly does not offer their Oils online anymore. No worries though Abdul Samad and Arabian Oud are both very high end and put out many fantastic oils.

Smile Re: Arabian Fragrances

Thanks for the link. The bottles alone are just gorgeous..makes you want to try the oils themselves.

I'll post this link to Swiss Arabian perfumes. I was lucky to find one in a remaindered store, of all places. I need to do a review of it.
    The link starts off well but get inactive when you get to the "brands" portion -- at least on my computers. Still, it is an interesting company.
    http://www.swissarabian.com/
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

odysseum - Swiss Arabian used to sell their Arabian style Oils in the US and Canada. They are based in Texas. Last I heard they only sell their "type" fragrances which are cheap copies of originals. Their Arabic style Oils did not sell well enough for them to import them here. Their oils are mid ranged in price and quality but they do have some popular scents like Davina and Mukhallat Maliki which I still sell a good amount of to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by abubakr_al-misky View Post
    odysseum - Swiss Arabian used to sell their Arabian style Oils in the US and Canada. They are based in Texas. Last I heard they only sell their "type" fragrances which are cheap copies of originals. Their Arabic style Oils did not sell well enough for them to import them here. Their oils are mid ranged in price and quality but they do have some popular scents like Davina and Mukhallat Maliki which I still sell a good amount of to this day.
    Thanks for this information! The scent I have is called Hamsa Nouveau. If you had any info on that (eg fragrance notes), I'd appreciate you sending it on to me. Either here or PM would be fine. Cheers,
    odysseusm

No probs. To clarify they are actually based out of U.A.E. but in the states they are in Houston. If I remember right the Hamsa had notes of Amber, Pinapple and Caramel. More then likelly there is a little Oud in as well but I cant remember of the notes. If you ever interested in Arabian style oils I have acsess to many including Swiss Arabian. There are also some high end supplier based in the U.S. that I would love to recomend whom I am not afffiliated with but their products I buy for myself and are of very very good quality.

I was packageing up some Swiss Arabian Incense and I relized I forgot to mention that they have a really excellent Incense called Kashkha Oud Muattar. Its quality is up there with the high end stuff. It is really super nice.

Thanks for all this info, abubakr. I appreciate it! I'm going to try my Hamsa soon, now that I know a bit more about it. Cheers,
    odysseusm

I am a member of a local freecycle community and early this week I picked up a 50 ml bottle of Pure Rose perfume from a perfume house called Amal al-Kuwait, which I've never heard of before and can't find on this forum or on Osmoz. Has anyone else tried any of their perfumes? It came in a huge, lacquered presentation box, and I think it must be expensive.

http://bkhoor.com/ and http://www.amalalkuwait.com/home.asp were the only websites I could find and I couldn't find any reviews.

I've been wearing the perfume most of the week; I like it quite a bit,but I'm a bit afraid I'll use it up too fast and never be able to find any more (unlike Pi and Bandit and Fracas which are among my usuals), and I'd like to try some of their other scents!

It is of course a rose soliflore but I wonder what the other notes are, because it's quite long-lasting and most rose perfumes don't last that long on me...there's a slightly peppery soapy thing going on at the top notes but it dries down wonderful, with a sugary edge that is exactly like a biscuit I make using a shortbread-like dough flavoured with rosewater, vanilla and cinnamon with candied rose petal bits all through it like they were chocolate chips. Which is a bad way of describing it, because it doesn't really smell foody--those biscuits don't either, they make my whole house smell like roses when I bake them.

Anyone here know what I'm talking about?

You can try e-mailing them from their contact page. Their phone number is also listed. I have never heard of them but they seem to be a small somewhat new compnay. Did you buy it or get it free?