Code of Conduct

Default A "summery" fragrance for someone who loves "wintery" fragrances

Sorry to post two threads at once, but I had such different topics running through my mind that I didn't feel they belonged in the same post.

I've been wondering about whether I should look for a more summery perfume. I'm a huge fan of dark, spicy-sweet wintery scents. I own Bulgari Black, VS Secret 88, Burberry for Women, Ellen Tracy, and Burberry Brit (though I don't like to wear it any more). Of those, I suppose the Burberry and the Ellen Tracy could go in a more summery direction... but I want something new and different!

I was thinking of what summery scents I like in general, not just for perfume, and two things came to mind:

I love the scent of lilacs in the spring. It's just intoxicating to me. I actually own a little solid perfume by Crazylibellule & the Poppies called Lilas Spiritual, and it smells just like the real thing. But I was wondering if there is a perfume that incorporates the scent of lilacs into something more sophisticated, sexier, maybe a bit darker, not so innocently sweet. I looked up lilac as a note and nothing really jumped out at me. Any suggestions?

The second thing that came to mind was coconut. I love coconuts, the smell, the taste, the velvety texture of the cream... However, I would not want to smell like coconut cream pie OR like sunscreen. I guess my question here is the same as above: is there a perfume that incorporates coconut into something more sophisticated, complex, sexier, darker? Again, I looked up coconut as a note and I was intrigued by Onyx by Sage Machado. Any opinions on that one? Any other suggestions?

Finally, any suggestions for a more summery perfume for me that doesn't necessarily include lilac or coconut, but you think would work based on my tastes? Bear in mind that I don't like your typical "light and fresh," "clean" or aquatic scents.

Thanks so much!
    R

Default Re: A "summery" fragrance for someone who loves "wintery" fragrances

Hello "R",

It sounds to me like Estée Lauder's Bronze Goddess eau fraiche skinscent (if you can still source it) may be right up your alley. It is actually versatile enough to be worn in summer and winter, and contains some warm toasted coconut accords. It is glamourous and elegant, in a very Tom Ford-esque manner; but is also down-to-earth enough to spritz on before shopping or the beach.

You could try Frederic Malle's En Passant, a very nice spring/summer fragrance with lilac as its dominant note. OK, it's not the most romantic, or sexy fragrance you can come across, but I think the lilac in it is really well done.

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for though, so apologies if it isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by rem_dreams View Post
    The second thing that came to mind was coconut. I love coconuts, the smell, the taste, the velvety texture of the cream... However, I would not want to smell like coconut cream pie OR like sunscreen. I guess my question here is the same as above: is there a perfume that incorporates coconut into something more sophisticated, complex, sexier, darker? Again, I looked up coconut as a note and I was intrigued by Onyx by Sage Machado. Any opinions on that one? Any other suggestions?
    R, please give Paco XS Extreme girl a try. its almond based, but the whole accord give it a very unique coconutty feel with that sun tan accord. it doesnt smell gourmandish...but man i just love it. the very same perfumer composes scents for Comme des Garcons et al. very unique..

for coconut, Premier Figuier by L'Artisan
    for bold and spicy, L'Air du Desert Marocain

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    for coconut, Premier Figuier by L'Artisan
    i was thinking the same thing. You could also try the "Extreme" version. I get a definite coconut note in it.

you can get 5 samples (I believe) from L'Artisan web site for $7, incl. shipping

I'm a winter-scent type of person, so I hear where you're coming from here.

I second En Passant. It's not dark but it's cool, limpid, green, and mysterious, like a lilac-filled garden on a misty morning. If you like lilac, it's a must-try.

Carnal Flower combines coconut and tuberose in a luscious way I love, off-set by cooling green notes that make it great in summer.

LesNez's recent release Manoumalia is floriental I think would be good for summer. It's a rich floral with a sandalwood base with a slight, slight aquatic hint in it cooling it down.

For a summer lily frag I suggest you to try L'Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer: it's an ethereal incense base empowered by a white lily note making it sweeter and airy.
    For coconut many good suggestions have been already mentioned too. Just let me add Nicolai Cococabana, another coconut+tuberose good one.

I would try Comme des Garcons Hinoki. It is very woody (cedar and cypress) yet remains fresh enough to preform well in the heat.

I know I am completely ignoring your lilac and coconut requirements, but you might try the Diptyque line. They are mostly green and fresh, but have a rich sophisticated quality that keeps them from being in any way juvenile. They are very "French." Another thought might be Un Jardin en Mediterranee which is definitely summery, but surprisingly full-bodied and warm.
    I apologise in advance if I have sent you down a bunch of dead ends. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I know I am completely ignoring your lilac and coconut requirements, but you might try the Diptyque line. They are mostly green and fresh, but have a rich sophisticated quality that keeps them from being in any way juvenile. They are very "French." Another thought might be Un Jardin en Mediterranee which is definitely summery, but surprisingly full-bodied and warm. ...
    I'll second the Diptyque line suggestion. There are some excellent, distinctive ones here.
    Hermes' Jardin series is worth investigating. I really like Un Jardin sur le Nil. A summery-fresh scent with light, haunting woods.
    For something really green and different, try Sisley's Eau de Campagne. Spring/summer in a bottle.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas