Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default La Via del Profumo's samples -- Impressions

List of samples:

Aiona's package: (this thread)
    Single notes: karo karounde, bergamot essential oil, civet tincture
    Scents of the Soul: Morning Blossom, Holy Water, Rose des Bois, African Queen Pink Panther

Asha's package: (for these samples, see this thread)
    Single notes: castoreum
    Scents of the Soul: Bazaar, African Night, Mona Lisa, Persona, African Queen Black Panther

On Monday, I got a package in the mail. I had been awake for over 24 hours, and had gotten about 1.5 hours of sleep. And yet, I got called back to work that evening. So although I very much wanted to open this package, it had to wait until I got back home.

You see, in parts of North America, it is influenza virus season, RSV season, and rotavirus season. And, my particular part of the world has also a streptococcal pharyngitis "epidemic" as well. So, forgive me if I seem a little crabby or out of sorts. Everyone seems to want a piece of me lately, and I can be very patient, but today, I pretty much blew up at work, and I'm pretty sure I'm on yet another someone's *bleep*-list at the moment.

So, now that things seemed to have calmed down a little bit. . . .

. . . I am ready to sample these scents that Profumo has so generously sent.

moltening started a Social Group called Addicted to Sampling a while back. I joined, and somehow I became part of a group of people who were going to receive a scary amount of samples from Profumo, who is a natural perfumer.

So that is where these samples came from.

Why he chose to give them to us in particular, I don't know. I am horrible with notes (as anyone who reads my reviews can probably attest). And although Asha is part of the group, I have yet to ship them to her! I plan to do that tomorrow (along with sending the samples to the 6 others! Seriously, this is a ****load of samples, people!).

Anyway, although someone asked me to wait until the others receive their samples, Profumo asked me my impressions. I know how he feels. Nothing is more excruciating to an artist than to have one's work. . . IGNORED. Positive, negative. Anything but the cold shoulder! I promise, I did not want to put off sampling! And so, tonight, since I have time (finally), I am eager to get down to it.

This morning, I actually did sample one already. Blossom Green

I have to admit, I smelled it already the night I opened the package. It's hard not to. As I opened the little box that the samples are in, a cloud of citrusy air came at me. Very lovely! But it wasn't until this morning that I was able to get a good sampling.

GREEN. It is green. It's citrusy. And like Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box), it makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. I seriously like it. Yes, it reminds me of the smell of China Airlines' bathrooms. So sue me. But I love the colognes that they put in there for passengers to use. Mix that with the smell of whatever that limp white flower is that they hang on the coat hook, and . . . I don't care if you laugh. . . yes, it transports me to a China Airlines bathroom. My favorite part of a China Airlines flight. Cuz seriously, Russian aerospace engineering needs help. After it dries a little bit (about 3 minutes into it) I get a deeper incense-y smell. And maybe some orris root?

Unfortunately, as with many natural perfumes or so I'm told, longevity is not as good as with partially or totally synthetic perfumes. Before I had even left the house, it was fading. So I brought the vial with me to work. I gotta say, that's the first time I've been to work with a glass perfume vial in my pocket. So all those jokes about Basenotes-members-looking-like-junkies-when-glass-vials-spill-out-of-their-pockets came to mind. Ah well.

But this allowed me to dab a bit more on during the day. It's the citrus part I enjoy the most.

Last edited by Aiona; 28th February 2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: added pictures, clarifying names
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Profumo's samples -- Impressions

Well done, Aiona, Pioneer Reviewer.
    I await my samples and will join in the discussion forthwith.

May I announce to Basenotes that Aiona and Quarry will be leading a discussion of these products for your infomation and entertainment?
    Quarry, will you continue on this thread or on your previous Profumo thread?

First of all, I'd like to thank Abdes Salam Attar/Dominique Dubrana and La Via del Profumo of Italy for sharing these 100% natural perfumes and inviting Basenotes members to review these generous samples of fragrances.

I'd like to post this link to the website:
    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/home_english.htm

Profumo embraces a holistic philosophy, emphasizing both enjoyment and healthful effects. I believe that our packages will include a sampling of some the following products:
    Perfumes (Scents of the Soul)
    Single notes (both plant and animal origin)
    Aromatherapy products (for health)
    Bespoke perfumes (which you can compose by youself)
    Attars (which are essential oils distilled into sandalwood)

Stay tuned, dear Basenotes readers. Much more to come.......
    Last edited by purplebird7; 12th February 2009 at 01:06 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: La Via del Profumo's samples -- Impressions

Okay, another review. . . sort of. . .

You know how babies have to try something up to 10 times before they stop spitting it out all over you and actually taste it? Well, I have a similar problem with challenging scents.

Profumo/Salaam let us know that he'd be putting some "challenging" scents in this set. Just by sniffing the outside of the vials, I could tell already which ones he was referring to.

So, like a baby trying peas for the first time, I decided to go for the one that kind of worried me. Karo Karoundè

Sour! I can't explain how sour it is at first! Then, past the sour smell, I can smell grass and bamboo mats. This smell makes me think of Thailand. I don't know why. Near Yala, there is a temple on the way to another town called Yaha. It is called Wat Tham. The formal name, I'm told, is something different. But if you say that name to the locals, they might not know what temple you're talking about.

The last time I went there with my grandma was in 1996.

Below the temple, which is on a big hill, is a grotto. And if one follows the path around the grotto, there is a cave. The cave used to be very . . . un-touristy. Little boys would swim in the grotto nearby, and if you gave them a few baht, they'd pull some candles from their pockets and lead you down into the cave, and show you all the wonderful formations that they had found. Nowadays, they have some electric lights set up in the front of the cave. And I'm sure it's a lot safer.

But back then, it was still a dark damp place. The smell of sweaty little elementary school boys ahead of you. And exploring that cave, you and anyone else you brought with you would be sweaty too. Sour stank of clothes that have been handwashed and line-dried in tropical heat (meaning they were never fully dry). And after exploring the cave, we'd walk back up to the entrance to the temple and sit down to drink some fresh coconut milk before heading up to the top of the hill. Fresh coconut milk doesn't taste anything like that shredded sugary powdery stuff they sell in bags in the grocery store. It's kind of sour too.

The picture above is a picture of my grandmother. She was sitting just outside of another meeting place, below the temple. Before going to the temple, my aunt would prepare some food. We would bring straw mats to sit on, and this is where we would sit to listen to the monks, and offer them the food that we brought.

So in the sweltering heat, in the never-quite-dry-clothes I was wearing, with a straw mat digging into my legs, making them look like corrugated cardboard, this is what I smell like. . . when I wear Karo Karoundè.

Profumo, may I ask, does this oil come from a flower? And if so, is it a carnivorous flower?
    Last edited by Aiona; 12th February 2009 at 04:22 AM. Reason: clarifying names
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Karo Karounde a flower? Duchaufour used it in Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

It's a love-or-hate note. I personally hate it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th February 2009 at 04:28 AM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm kinda on a roll tonight. Here's another. . . .

Holy Water

This smells like it has some components of Blossom Green in it. The parts that I like, anyway. Not sure what that is. Citrus, perhaps? Neroli, maybe? Using a modified Chaya-bosom-sniffing technique, I sprayed some on what meager bosom I have, and did the flapping-front-of-hoodie thing.

It definitely has incense in it. I like that too.
    Last edited by Aiona; 12th February 2009 at 05:39 AM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Isn't Karo Karounde a flower? Duchaufour used it in Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

It's a love-or-hate note. I personally hate it.
    Yeah, I just realized that, when I did a Google search for Karo Karounde. It is stinky, ain't it?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm running out of skin.

Okay, the next bottle has Le Fablier on the bottle. . . but Profumo let me know that he forgot to put the correct label on it, so it's actually Rose des Bois.

But forget that I said that, because. . . I just don't smell any rose in it. Or do I? I guess I do. But not initially. No, I smell cinnamon! Or is it cardamom? Coriander, maybe? It's really hard to type when your nose is glued to your knee.

Salivation. I like it. I'm a sucker for spicy scents.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

African Queen Pink Panther

When I first pulled the vials out of the box, I thought I smelled mint. But on skin. . . I don't smell mint. I smell parsley. Mashed parsley. And kind of another smell, like . . . freshly caught catfish. I am horrible at notes! I gotta say though this has gotta be the weirdest scent I have ever smelled. I initially thought this was not going to be challenging at all. There's something compelling in it, though. It wavers between being benign parsley and bowling-alley shoe fungus-y! I have no other way to describe it.

I am out of skin for the night. I'm going back to drooling over my left knee.

(For those that asked, yes. . . I did end up spraying my usual in my hair. Just couldn't help myself.)
    Last edited by Aiona; 12th February 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Aiona, I am enchanted at your words about African Queen Pink Panther, because this is how I defined this perfume myself, my first weird fragrance. I believe it is a love or hate perfume. I love it, although I do not wear it.
    But wait for the next batch of sample to the group, I have included the original African Queen, Black Panther. This is the really weird one.
    Pink Panther is a softened version of it, I watered it a lot with a lovely essence that children love. I let you try to recognize which one it is.
    AbdesSalaam Attar

Post Thanks / Like

Aiona, I loved reading your impressions, especially the story about being in Thailand. Looking forward to reading more, and sharing mine as well. I love Fablier (Quarry sent me a sample).

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Aiona, I loved reading your impressions, especially the story about being in Thailand. Looking forward to reading more, and sharing mine as well. I love Fablier (Quarry sent me a sample).
    Hi, lilybelle, thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing everyone else's impressions as well. There's a chick flick called "Beyond Sunrise" which I really really liked. In it, someone says that if there is a God, it's in the act of people communicating. In that space "between you and me." I find that it's really hard for me to truly enjoy something without sharing it, partly for the communion that occurs when someone knows what you're talking about.

Unlike Blossom Green, which Profumo says has been renamed to Morning Green, the longevity of Rose des Bois is greater. And I'm still drooling over that left knee. I think I know what my Scent of the Day is going to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Aiona, that was a fabulous scent-story about the cave, the boys, and the straw mats. It puts the images in where the words fail.

Profumo will you provide at list of notes for the fragrances? At least the dominant notes? Without guidelines, I feel as if my nose will be tested for accuracy instead of the perfumes tested for likeablility.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 12th February 2009 at 01:15 PM.

Aiona, I had to rename this perfume, because the name was contested by someone, a story of perfumers that I cannot tell in public.
    The name is "Morning Blossom", as I wrote to you before. It shares Neroli (Orange blossom) with "Holy Water" as a main ingredient, a note that you seem to like very much. Neroli is a soothing fragrance, that is very effective against anxiety, hiper emotivity and attacs of panic.
    It symbolises virginity and spiritual purity. It is a heavenly scent, that tells of sky and fragrant winds but also of water (orange flower water).
    AbdesSalaam Attar

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Hi, lilybelle, thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing everyone else's impressions as well. There's a chick flick called "Beyond Sunrise" which I really really liked. In it, someone says that if there is a God, it's in the act of people communicating. In that space "between you and me." I find that it's really hard for me to truly enjoy something without sharing it, partly for the communion that occurs when someone knows what you're talking about.

Unlike Blossom Green, which Profumo says has been renamed to Morning Green, the longevity of Rose des Bois is greater. And I'm still drooling over that left knee. I think I know what my Scent of the Day is going to be.

Dear Purplerbird,
    you can trust your nose, do not be afraid, so far I have seen that the noses of my fellow basenoters is working very well and that they have a good olfactory culture.
    I am always sending to the groups single notes like Karo Karoundé or Bergamot, in order to strenghten your knowledge and understanding of perfumes, this is part of the fun; there is Karo Karoundé as a main ingredient in one of the perfumes that I have send to you in this batch. Will you recognize it?
    You will also smell what is the best quality of bergamot from this parcel, the december production. This citrus grows exclusively in a tiny area of Calabria in Italy and nowhere else in the world. I am in the best position to get it directly from a producer friend.

However, the main notes for samples of the scents of the soul that you receive are at the page: http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_mignon.asp If you do not find the fragrance at that page it means that it is not yet in production but a bespoke fragrance that I considered worthy of your examination.

AbdesSalaam Attar

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Aiona, that was a fabulous scent-story about the cave, the boys, and the straw mats. It puts the images in where the words fail.

Profumo will you provide at list of notes for the fragrances? At least the dominant notes? Without guidelines, I feel as if my nose will be tested for accuracy instead of the perfumes tested for likeablility.
    Last edited by Profumo; 12th February 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wanting to sample the Profumo fragrances for a long time - I generally sample fragrances 1-2 houses at a time - and I've finally gotten around to ordering a some samples from TPC. I love the reviews Aiona and look forward to reading more from you and other BNers in the future.... I also think it's really a unique experience to get direct feedback from the perfumer when sampling. I just began working with a niche house testing variants of a fragrance they are planning to release, and I'm very much enjoying the back-and-forth communication with the perfumer. It adds a lot to one's understanding of the fragrance (and the process by which fragrances are created).

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rose des Bois has lasted all day. Longevity is *much* better than Morning Blossom. Creamy spicy. I like it! Droolworthy. But I am one who likes foody-scents. I'm not sure what makes it smell so creamy. If it were a beverage, it would be something I'd like to drink hot. With some little schoolboys alongside.

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo View Post
    there is Karo Karoundé as a main ingredient in one of the perfumes that I have send to you in this batch. Will you recognize it?
    Is there karo karoundé in Holy Water?
    Last edited by Aiona; 13th February 2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: more on Rose des Bois

[B][color=#C85A17]

Is there karo karoundé in Holy Water?
    dear Aiona, the notes of Holy water are all written online at the page I previously indicated to you: http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_mignon.asp
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer
    http://www.profumo.it/Blog/index.php

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

dear Aiona, the notes of Holy water are all written online at the page I previously indicated to you: http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_mignon.asp
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Sandalwood, incense, rose, and orange blossom? Surely there's more. Or is it that essential oils are more complex than synthetics?

Certainly, that karo karounde is awfully complex. (no pun intended. I think.) Profumo, you also sent us some civet tincture and bergamot oil. I am going to try to set aside some time tonight to sniff those two. I can smell the vapors of the bergamot, even outside of the vial, and it's very peppery. Very unlike the bergamot oils I've found in the shopping mall essential oil shops we have in my area of the United States. (My bergamot from the mall simply smells like citrus oil, nothing more. No peppery notes. None of the darkness from this oil.) Where does this particular bergamot oil come from?
    Last edited by Aiona; 13th February 2009 at 12:07 PM.

Aiona, you got the point really, there are only 4 ingredients in Holy water, and essential oils are constituted of hundreds of different aromatic molecules.
    This fragrance is one of the simplests from the scents of the soul, but Tamburo has only 2 ingredients, Chilum only three. Some of my perfumes are very complex, like hindu Kush, Grezzo or Tabac, but there is an olfactory effect that can be attained with sobriety, Luca Turin calls it "simplexity". When you have a clear idea, it is enough just to go straight to the point in building a perfume, going to the essential, without thinking much of the accepted perfumery stereotypes, of pyramids, of head notes ecc...
    In that case though, the quality of your ingredients is of first importance, the perfume will only be as good as are the ingredients.

Bergamot is produced only in a tiny area of the Italian region of Calabria, by the seaside, and nowhere else in the world. What you smell is the real bergamot. anything less "bergamot", less peppery and less so typical of this smell has been doctored, or is not bergamot.

The one I have send you is pure essential oil. It is the one I prefer, with the most pepery note, it is extracted in December while the fruits are still green. This is why the essential oil is dark green. It contains more linalol than the January essence, done with the yellowing fruits ,which contains more limonene.
    Smell it well, welcome to Italy!
    Abdessalaam attar

Sandalwood, incense, rose, and orange blossom? Surely there's more. Or is it that essential oils are more complex than synthetics?

Certainly, that karo karounde is awfully complex. (no pun intended. I think.) Profumo, you also sent us some civet tincture and bergamot oil. I am going to try to set aside some time tonight to sniff those two. I can smell the vapors of the bergamot, even outside of the vial, and it's very peppery. Very unlike the bergamot oils I've found in the shopping mall essential oil shops we have in my area of the United States. (My bergamot from the mall simply smells like citrus oil, nothing more. No peppery notes. None of the darkness from this oil.) Where does this particular bergamot oil come from?
    Last edited by Profumo; 13th February 2009 at 06:39 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello, all. Purplebird7, I'll stick to this thread for our group discussion and will repeat some of what I've posted elsewhere about Profumo fragrances. Aiona, thank you for getting the ball rolling. You're a magnificent hostess and post-ess (makes more sense than call you a poster). Grazie mille, Salaam, for sharing the beauty of your artistry. Kisses, Whisperingleaves, for goodies received yesterday (the yellow tissue paper lights up the whole room!).

Before saying anything further, I should offer this disclaimer about a characteristic of which veteran BNers are aware: I am very hard to please. For whatever reasons, I'm attracted to a narrow selection of fragrances. My "tried" list is frighteningly long, and my 4- and 5-star-rated fragrances collection is brutally short. Just so the reader knows.

For quick review here are the fragrances I've already sampled. Reviews for some can be found in the BN directory: Holy Water ★★★, Chocolate Amber ★★, Cologne de l'Empereur ★★, Feromone Donna ★★★, Night Blossom ★★★★, Grezzo d'Eleganza ★★, Gringo ★★★, Hay ★★★, Hindu Kush ★★★★1/2, Oak Moss Scents of the Soul ★★★★, Seawood ★★★, Tabac ★★★, Tcharas ★★★.

AT THIS MOMENT ... I'm comparing the Scents of Soul Oak Moss (which is different from the single-note oak moss) against Samurai. Knowing I adore Oak Moss, Salaam thought I might find Samurai even more alluring, but I still prefer Oak Moss for its mild, green simplicity. It's a little difficult to review because I've applied OM sparingly, and it doesn't have a lot of lasting power, so just as I go to cipher its qualities, it begins to slip away. For an impression of the environment it conjures: I find myself standing in the sunshine amidst a field where alfalfa has been harvested. There is the sweetness of dry stems lying on sun-dried ground; it's still summer and living goes on, meaning no suggestion of autumn is yet on the wind. Samurai possesses greater presence, but that's due to its warmer, spicier elements and a generally greater "perfuminess" than the more naturalistic aura of Oak Moss. Poor ol' Quarry has no affinity for heated notes and little excitement for overt perfuminess except in a few odd cases. Even so, with Samurai I am again reminded how elegantly composed all Profumo inventions are. True quality and intelligence.

Gotta go do stuff, which I regret because I haven't even read entirely through this thread yet, and I have more I could say. Avanti ...
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Before saying anything further, I should offer this disclaimer about a characteristic of which veteran BNers are aware: I am very hard to please. For whatever reasons, I'm attracted to a narrow selection of fragrances. My "tried" list is frighteningly long, and my 4- and 5-star-rated fragrances collection is brutally short. Just so the reader knows.
    That's a good disclaimer, Quarry. I don't know if I'm a picky sniffer. Perhaps I haven't sniffed enough to be picky, yet. I still keep some samples of things I thought were rather odd, but not foul.

Right now there are a number of samples eating holes in my sample containers. I wanted very much to sample Hindu Kush side by side with something like Spiritus #2, but instead I will probably have some time to sample Profumo's bergamot essential oil in comparison with the stuff I purchased from the mall. I'm really disenchanted with essential oil suppliers in my area. I cannot tell where this stuff comes from. I don't know if it's adulterated. I don't know if it's synthetic, even. A good essential oil supplier is a gem.

Edit: I really like this Bergamot oil. It's very sharp and sweet and peppery. It's a lot like calamansi, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Also, tonight, I finally worked up the courage to test the civet tincture. Words fail me at how awful this smells! Sharp poo-ey smell. I can't believe it's used in perfumery. It surely takes a true artist to make this into anything that someone would wanna smell like!

(I forgot to mention I mailed the packages off today!)
    Last edited by Aiona; 14th February 2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: packages in the mail

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

AbdesSalaam Attar
    Ah, so if it's not Holy Water, then it must be African Queen Pink Panther! I am re-sampling the karo karounde, and next to the civet, I am loving it!!!!!!! And so I had to try African Queen Pink Panther again, and I can't smell the karo karounde. I still smell parsley. What is it that "sweetens" it? I can't say that it's sweet, but then I haven't smelled the original yet. Sweetness now seems relative to me. After the civet, karo karounde smells like candy!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pink Panther is a softened version of it, I watered it a lot with a lovely essence that children love. I let you try to recognize which one it is.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Vanilla?

Aiona, I did not say sweetened, but "softened" and "watered". You will soon smell Black Panther because it is already on its way to Asha with the second lot of samples.
    I would like to wait until next week before answering to your demand, in which of the scents is Karo Karoundé a main ingredient, until the others have received the perfumes and can try to find out.
    This flower concrete is very loaded with pheromone-like molecules, human pheromones I mean. It is the only "dirty floral" I know. But not all will smell the "dirtyness" in it. Particularly women.
    The flower is said to be used in Congo for rituals of sexual magic . It does not surprise me.

Your reaction to civet is normal, I had the same 20 years ago when I smelled it first. Then I looked at the price and I thought that there must be more to it if it was so expensive.

AbdesSalaam Attar
    Last edited by Profumo; 14th February 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is the only "dirty floral" I know. But not all will smell the "dirtiness" in it. Particularly women.
    I wonder why that is. I definitely smell sweat. Sweat and hay. But not the kind of sweat and hay like in Lolita. It's toil and labor sweat.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, goody. I can't wait to get my samples!

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I pre-sampled Arabie on a knuckle the other night and am wearing it all day today.

Can't imagine any male or female of voting age disliking Arabie. The opening offers soft, dry spices which swirl around for a time until they find their direction in the dry down, which reminds me very much of the sweet, hazy base I smell in Tocade.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I wore Essence of Jerusalem. I perceived it as the most expensive soap ever created. I can't get the picture of a bar of expensive white soap out of my head. At first I feared it might be too soapy--a sensation in the back of the throat as though tasting it--but it stopped just short of that. Highly recommended, if this category appeals to you. I've never smelled anything quite like it.

Today I'm wearing Tartar Leather. TL opens with a sweet, smokey leather. While not usually a fan of smoke, I like it here. I wish the personality of the top notes lingered longer because they are excellent and can compete with the best of leather fragrances out there. There is a family resemblance to Hindu Kush in the dry down.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'm loving these descriptions, Aiona and Quarry. Can't wait!

Quarry, If the essense of jerusalem is from the batch of samples I sent then it is not one of Profumo's. It is one I ordered after one of the frankincense threads. it kind of sneaked into the pile with a few other unrelated samples (we can sort it out via pm)

I'll try to start on more detailed reviews soon.

I ordered samples after reading Quarry’s previous thread. I like the first batch so much I ordered a bottle and a second round of samples ( Tea of the Isles, Fruiti Paradisi, African Night, Tasnim, Tartar Leather, Bambini, Angelica Water, Samurai, Arabia, ) I'm just getting started with most of the second round (work and a cold have intervened) but here is my summary so far.

Round one
    Tcharas Love it , wear it often, ordered a bottle

Oakmoss love it too and will likely have a bottle soon.

Hindu Kush I like this too. Now I have decants thanks to Quarry and Profumo. Will probably order a bottle when they are gone.

Holy Water. From the notes I should not like this at all. I like sandalwood and incense but I am very wary of rose and orange blossom or anything that smacks of citrus usually makes me run in the opposite direction. But this one is magic. there are days I crave it for it.

Grezzo not me at all will smell again but it didn’t grab me the first time around.

Seawood an interesting take on vetiver with some spice

Round two – first impressions
    Tartar Leather – new love. "Need a bottle NOW!" and will probably get one very soon.

African Night – ½ of tartar leather (with hector which I haven’t smelled alone) nice but more floral than I’d wear most of the time but it might grow on me. I'll definitely give it more of a chance.

Tea of the isles –grapefruit for just a minute or two then mulling spices clove, cinnamon, maybe for a winter spicy scent

Arabia – a wonderful spicy rose scent

more scents and more details to come.

I got home tonight to find my lovely package of samples. I decided to restrain myself to taking a few quick sniffs of a couple of single notes then doing a full-blown testing of Holy Water. So, for the single notes, I chose what I thought would be the easiest and the most difficult. For the latter, yes, I am referring to, none other than, the civet tincture.

Civet. Fecal. Malodorous. Difficult indeed. But it did settle down into an interesting animalic skin scent on me. I only used a tiny drop of it, so I don't know what would happen if I used more. I can't say that I liked it, but I will probably play around with layering it.

Next, I tried a drop of the Bergamot. Love. Deep citrus. Hmmm, as opposed to light citrus, I suppose. Uplifting and soothing at the same time.

Now for Holy Water, which I sprayed fairly generously on my arms. This is such a fascinating scent with a wonderful development. The first notes that I detected were light and woody, which came as a surprise. I thought that I would smell orange blossom on the opening, but I did not. It never asserted its presence obviously, but it softened the other notes as the fragrance developed. And what a development! Soft, uncomplicated incense. Neither dry and austere or sweet and ambery. Great scent!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

I've got my samples!!!!!

I'm wearing Holy Water today.

The name matches the fragrance beautifully, because while it is truly an incense scent, there is a freshness that lasts side-by-side with the darker incense that makes me think of the coolness of water .

Just lovely, and it gets more and more interesting over time. I've had it on for almost 2 hours. I detected this fresh note on first spritz, but in seconds the incense took over, then eventually they reaches a very soothing balance. I would describe the freshness as ALMOST citrus--seems one degree away from citrus, the idea of citrus without the fruity blast, which makes it very smooth.

I agree with mbanderson: "Neither dry and austere or sweet and ambery."

A lovely fragrance.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 18th February 2009 at 02:44 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

I received my samples yesterday. Thanks Profumo! Thanks Aiona!
    I am wearing Holy Water today. This is so beautiful. I love the combination of orange blossom and incense. The rose seems to peak in the background.

I also smelled briefly the others. I liked Morning Green very much. I shall give it a full wearing tomorrow. The bergamot essential oil is beautiful. Civet, what can I say, it is stinky. The Karo Karunde is interesting and my guess is that the note is in Rose de Bois, but I may be wrong. African Queen is very strong.

I will come back in the evening with more impressions.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    The Karo Karunde is interesting and my guess is that the note is in Rose de Bois, but I may be wrong. African Queen is very strong.

I will come back in the evening with more impressions.
    Ciao Arwen, I was as impatient as you were that the perfumes reach all of you. Some of these fragrances are very challenging, Civet of course, but also, in this batch of samples, Pink Panther African Queen, about which you politely said that it was very strong. This is my first weird perfume, and I know that it will be a love_hate matter with many.
    Please do not feel afraid to say, "I hate it", or "it smells like ruting cat's pee". This is indeed what I like to understand. I shall certainly not be offended. Your comments about these bespoke fragrances, if they are negative, will be dearer than me than mere silence.
    About Karo Karoundè, in which composition is it a main ingredient?, I shall wait for more of you to give it a try before telling.
    Last edited by Profumo; 18th February 2009 at 05:50 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you guys are doing a great job reviewing the fragrances! I'm still anxiously awaiting mine. I have to console myself daily lol

any day now, any day now...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, L'aventurier! Your postage was probably the most (aside from moltening's), which makes me wonder if you're farther away from me! In any case, I do hope it arrives soon.

Profumo asked me if my pets had any reactions to these scents. I have 3 cats. And yes, I wondered how they might react to the civet, but I haven't been brave enough to try to see!

Anyway, it's funny that you asked, Profumo, because when I first opened the box, my dogs were whining to come into the room (I had initially closed the door), and as soon as they dashed in, one of them headed over to the box, and he seemed to be enthralled most by Holy Water. I can't smell anything outside of the bottle, but he was very particular that this bottle was the one that most interested him. I don't know if he *liked* it, but he seemed drawn to sniff it.

As I mentioned before, I much prefer Rose des Bois, and alongside my known favorite perfume (Montana Parfum d'Homme [red box], for those that didn't know), I've been wearing one or the other. Both are spicy and make me drool. I don't think I'm a foodie, but I do like foodie scents. And Rose des Bois smells good enough to eat.

I'm still composing a formal review.

Now, about African Queen Pink Panther. . . .

I'm really curious to see what the other members of my sampling group think about this one. I tried it again a few days ago, but accidentally got it all over my hands, which meant I didn't get to sample it very long, because I wash my hands a lot at work. Mind you, I sampled it after I sampled something smelly. . . civet, I think. And although I remember it being a really odd and almost disconcerting scent, its oddity paled after the shock of the civet. I will have to reserve another time when I can sample it without interference.
    Last edited by Aiona; 19th February 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Second night of testing:

I have Karo Karoundè on one hand and African Queen Pink Panther on the other. I suspect that AQPP is the one that features Karo Karoundè, which is an odd note indeed. My first reaction to Karo Karoundè was to pull my hand away in surprise. Aiona described it as sour, but I got a bit of a fecal note. I would also add slightly leathery and almost sickly sweet, like flowers that are "going off".

AQPP has what seemed to be a light floral and maybe a hesperidic note on the open and then it grew sweeter. This was followed by animalic floral and leathery notes. This made me believe that I was smelling Karo Karoundè. I found it to be very complex and strong, but interesting. This is not a fragrance that I would wear for pleasure, but rather to challenge myself.

As an aside, my 16 year old son, who regularly wears Juozas Statkevicius, Silver Factory, MPG Santal Noble, Bleecker Street and a few other niche scents, asked me for something new to try tonight. I spritzed him with Holy Water, and a new love was born. I was glad that I had the opportunity to try it on someone else. It made me appreciate it even more!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Ciao Arwen, I was as impatient as you were that the perfumes reach all of you. Some of these fragrances are very challenging, Civet of course, but also, in this batch of samples, Pink Panther African Queen, about which you politely said that it was very strong. This is my first weird perfume, and I know that it will be a love_hate matter with many.
    Please do not feel afraid to say, "I hate it", or "it smells like ruting cat's pee". This is indeed what I like to understand. I shall certainly not be offended. Your comments about these bespoke fragrances, if they are negative, will be dearer than me than mere silence.
    About Karo Karoundè, in which composition is it a main ingredient?, I shall wait for more of you to give it a try before telling.
    Ciao Profumo!
    I will wear African Queen tomorrow so I can provide better feedback. Last night I smelled.all the vials very quickly, but concentrated on Holy Water, and it is beautiful. I wore Holy Water today because I wanted to check longevity, which is very good, I could smell it all day. Tonight I grabbed two vials, one was civet and it is revolting, the other one was Morning Green and it is delightful. Does it have bergamot and neroli? It makes me feel like walking in a garden in the morning and smelling dew on the grass and flowers.
    Evenstar

Ciao Profumo!
    , one was civet and it is revolting, the other one was Morning Green and it is delightful. Does it have bergamot and neroli? It makes me feel like walking in a garden in the morning and smelling dew on the grass and flowers.
    In order to explore Civet, you should put it on a scent strip and smell it over a few days. Civet deserves your attention in trying to discover it.
    I am sorry to have mistaken the label of Morning Blossom, this is the name of the fragrance.
    It is based on Neroli for 25%, so it is a precious perfume.
    Last edited by Profumo; 19th February 2009 at 07:21 AM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In order to explore Civet, you should put it on a scent strip and smell it over a few days. Civet deserves your attention in trying to discover it.
    A scent strip, eh? I don't have any scent strips. Would a coffee filter do?

Ah. . . no wonder I like it so much. Good neroli is really expensive. Where does this neroli come from?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, coffee filters work fine.

I've been so eager to try Civet: I love perfumes with civet notes.

As I expected, it is very fecal--not animalic in the way it comes out when blended (which I would describe as more skunky than fecal). I have actually tried it right on my skin and will not wash it off until I have to--just to see if it changes.

I will try it on a scent strip and let it develop as you suggested, Profumo.

To cancel it out I then tried the heavenly Bergamot (not on the same hand). So juicy and fresh and naturally sweet. . Mouthwatering.

On to new discoveries!

UPDATE: 40 minutes in, the civet has almost completely lost its fecal odor (or , heaven forbid, I'm just used to it and others would run if they met me???).. It smells warm, soft, almost floral. Is this possible???

The
    Bergamot is still pretty, but quite faded--almost gone.

UPDATED UPDATE About 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours in, the civet is almost pretty --just a trace of the foul odor. The bergamot has vanished.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 19th February 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I've been so eager to try Civet: I love perfumes with civet notes.

As I expected, it is very fecal--not animalic in the way it comes out when blended (which I would describe as more skunky than fecal). I have actually tried it right on my skin and will not wash it off until I have to--just to see if it changes.

I will try it on a scent strip and let it develop as you suggested, Profumo.

To cancel it out I then tried the heavenly Bergamot. So juicy and fresh and naturally sweet. . Mouthwatering.

On to new discoveries!

UPDATE: 40 minutes in, the civet has almost completely lost its fecal odor (or , heaven forbid, I'm just used to it and others would run if they met me???).. It smells warm, soft, almost floral. Is this possible???

The
    Bergamot is still pretty, but quite faded--almost gone.

UPDATED UPDATE About 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours in, the civet is almost pretty --just a trace of the foul odor. The bergamot has vanished.
    How interesting, we had the same thought. I put a drop of civet on my wrist. Had one of my cats smell it, he arched his body, walked backwards and left the room. It was very strong. After a few minutes I tried to cover it with bergamot, but I could still smell it, but about an hour later it faded. I will try it on paper tonight.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to have mistaken the label of Morning Blossom, this is the name of the fragrance.
    Oops, I am sorry to have called Morning Blossom by a different name. It is absolutely delicious.

I am trying African Queen Pink Panther today, I even brought my vial to work so I can re-apply. I smell a very nice green note, along with the very strong Karo Karounde. I am not sure how to describe the green note, it is not your classical mint but it smell almost as if you had squeezed mint with your fingers, a bit medicinal, but not candy mint, or mouth wash mint. The green note turns (or maybe it is a different note) into something that smells like mandarine to me. The Karo Karounde quiets down and turns a bit sweet. It is an interesting note but it takes some time to get used to it.
    Evenstar

Dear Arwen, so far you got the best nose. Most acurate, the Karo Karoundè is indeed in Pink Panther, the minty note is Buchu Betulina (see http://www.profumo.it/blog/?p=12 ), and the essence pleasing to children that I used to water down The original African Queen (Black Panther) is indeed Mandarine.
    The accord for this fragrance is Buchu, ylang Ylang and Karo Karoundé.
    When you got used to it, you may love it.
    Black Panther is in the next batch of samples.
    Last edited by Profumo; 19th February 2009 at 09:10 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Arwen, so far you got the best nose. Most acurate, the Karo Karoundè is indeed in Pink Panther, the minty note is Buchu Betulina (see http://www.profumo.it/blog/?p=12 ), and the essence pleasing to children that I used to water down The original African Queen (Black Panther) is indeed Mandarine.
    The accord for this fragrance is Buchu, ylang Ylang and Karo Karoundé.
    When you got used to it, you may love it.
    Black Panther is in the next batch of samples.

Wow!! thank you Profumo, I always think that I am not good at discerning notes, but I have had all day to smell and think while I am working.
    Did I read correctly that Karo Karounde is used for some rituals in Africa? That is interesting. Is it supposed to be one of those notes that put people in the mood for love?
    Evenstar

How interesting, we had the same thought. I put a drop of civet on my wrist. Had one of my cats smell it, he arched his body, walked backwards and left the room. It was very strong. After a few minutes I tried to cover it with bergamot, but I could still smell it, but about an hour later it faded. I will try it on paper tonight.
    Oddly my dogs could not get interested in the civet. They go crazy when they smell ambergris.
    EDIT: I take that back. Today I found my dog chewing a suspiciously not-dog-to-like object. It was the fragile vial of civet tincture. He was trying to chew it open. This one he chose from all the samples that I had inadvertently left in his reach his reach.

I should clarify--I put the Bergamot on the OTHEr hand so I could compare the dry downs separately.
    The civet was a lovely surprise over time. Sort of floral.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st February 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Ah. . . no wonder I like it so much. Good neroli is really expensive. Where does this neroli come from?
    My Neroli is from North Africa.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today was another day in solely La Via del Profumo's Rose des Bois. I don't usually spray more than 1-2 sprays, but this morning I was impulsive and pretty much sprayed 4-5 sprays all over! Almost immediate regret, as I worried that it would deepen through the day, and make me wish I had only done one spritz. But it was still quite nice!! Staying close to the skin, but leaving a definite trail behind me. Longevity is good. It's about 10 hours later, and I'm still nicely scented.

What does it smell like? Well, I'm still holding to that "spicy" aspect. As it dries down, I can smell more of the sandalwood coming out. But initially, it smells like I opened up all my kitchen cabinets, grabbed all of my favorite spices, poured them all out in a pile on the floor and then rolled in it. Lastly, I squeezed a little lemon juice on me. I have been served!

Definitely droolworthy. At least for me.

Post Thanks / Like

The samples arrived today - thank you so much.

I tried a touch of the civet tincture today. INCREDIBLY strong to me, very fecal, musky, bodily and warm. There's something very odd about it, too - a fragrance element I can only describe as wet cardboard.

I have a much clearer impression of what civet smells like now. With that in mind, I think Ava Luxe's Rasa Extreme has to be the most civet-heavy fragrance I know.

As it's a pure note, I'm going to experiment with layering it with other fragrances. Today I'm layering it with my favorite floral, Tubereuse Criminelle. I'm curious to see how two such aggressive scents blend.

As I like civet, the smell comes as less of a shock to me than it likely will to some others, but this powerful and quite rank stuff.

Something others might be interested in - my mother could not smell any of the fecal elements in this smell. She said it smelled mild and sweetly musky, with a slight sharp tinge.

Musk anosmia on her part, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Aiona, I am looking at what I received from you, and one of the big bottles is labeled Le Fablier--is this different that what you have? It does smell like rose.

Of all the others, I have them--Holy Water, civet tincture, bergamot EO, karo karoude, African Queen Pink Panther, Blossom Green (aka Morning Blossom).

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Aiona, I am looking at what I received from you, and one of the big bottles is labeled Le Fablier--is this different that what you have? It does smell like rose.
    Wow! You smell the rose? I can't get any rose out of it! Ah well. (Oh, wait, yes I do smell rose. Bah, my nose is whacked.) Yes, that's the Rose des Bois. Profumo/Salaam said he forgot to put the correct label on it. Le Fablier is a company he has made signature fragrances for, I believe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Salaam!)

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    my mother could not smell any of the fecal elements in this smell. She said it smelled mild and sweetly musky, with a slight sharp tinge.

Musk anosmia on her part, perhaps?
    'Must be! How interesting!
    Last edited by Aiona; 20th February 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Wow! You smell the rose? I can't get any rose out of it! Ah well. (Oh, wait, yes I do smell rose. Bah, my nose is whacked.) Yes, that's the Rose des Bois. Profumo/Salaam said he forgot to put the correct label on it. Le Fablier is a company he has made signature fragrances for, I believe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Salaam!)
    "Rose des Bois" is the name, I just forgot to stick the label. A lot of rose burried in woody scents (much Gaiac wood) and home spices /Cinnamon). I am glad at the success that this perfume recieved from you ladies, I had to present 12 versions to the Signora Le Fablier before meting her satisfaction. We were really 2 persons at composing this perfume, her and I. It was a christmas present for their customers.
    When you see the products of Le Fablier you will understand why the woody notes and the home spices with the rose, and why the owner wanted to emanate with this fragrance. http://www.lefablier.com/

Some women do not smell the fecal head notes of Civet and their nose goes straight to the heart of the fragrance. It is not anosmy, it is a special affinity that they have with this scent. It certainly is conditioned by the state of their hormonal condition. It means civet (a pheromone) has a positive effect on their endocrine system.
    Last edited by Profumo; 21st February 2009 at 01:08 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It certainly is conditioned by the state of their hormonal condition.
    What if you're in menopause?

What if you're in menopause?
    I have not observed that liking Civet was linked to this specific state. Rather sometimes with the absence of a man in life. The best essence for menopause and it's simptoms is (a good) Cypress.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

I am one of those women who is not smelling the dirtiness of Karo Karounde, Profumo. But it is sour on me. At once pretty and sour. I can see how it enhances other blends. In time (an hour or so) it is not at all sour. And it certainly does not add sourness to AQPP.

AQPP started out very minty on me, but that lasted just less than a minute, then it balanced out. This is a scent I would love for my husband to wear. It smells very warm and alluring close tot he skin. It is unusual (a very good thing) without being weird. I do not find it too strong at all.

Blossom Green, on first spray, reminds me of a more traditional fresh, clean,spring scent, in the men's cologne genre: a little citrus a little floral. It becomes more floral, much softer in short time. In addition to fabulous neroli. i'm smelling another flower. At first I thought it was a very small dose of lavender, but later, no...I'm not sure what it is.... The texture has developed, too, from sort of sparkly, even fizzy, to more powdery to creamy. Lovely. I can't stop smelling my arm. WAIT--is that rose? My husband loves it on me and suggests I wear it often.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st February 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not observed that liking Civet was linked to this specific state. Rather sometimes with the absence of a man in life.
    I now have this insatiable urge to bring my civet to work and dab it on all the women to see who is hooked up and who is not. But it's interesting that you mention this, because on another thread I think I asked other women if they notice a difference in their preferences at different times in their cycles. I believe I do. I may have to try the civet again in another two weeks, and see what I think, then. 'Not looking forward to this. This is purely for the sake of investigation.

WAIT--is that rose?
    You made me smell twice! I still can't tell what I'm smelling, other than the citrus and neroli. Maybe incense. I don't smell rose, but then again, it took Asha mentioning it before I could smell it in Rose des Bois. Sometimes I don't know if I'm just "smelling" something because someone else said they smelled something, or if I'm genuinely smelling it. I'm glad Nostalgie smells mint too, in African Queen Pink Panther. That's so affirming!
    Last edited by Aiona; 21st February 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Well done, Aiona,

Okay, the next bottle has Le Fablier on the bottle. . . but Profumo let me know that he forgot to put the correct label on it, so it's actually Rose des Bois.

But forget that I said that, because. . . I just don't smell any rose in it. Or do I? I guess I do. But not initially. No, I smell cinnamon! Or is it cardamom? Coriander, maybe? It's really hard to type when your nose is glued to your knee.

Salivation. I like it. I'm a sucker for spicy scents.
    I'm just trying Le Fablier today. AIona, my initial impression is like yours: I find the top note to be lots of cinnamon, and a slightly sweet cinnamon at that: it reminds me of the candies called "Red Hots," Over time the cinnamon clams down and I can smell rose, and the entire blend softens. I am not good at detecting notes, but there is something I would describe as creamy and warm in the base. I would like to smell more of that base and less of the lingering cinnamon.

I am told I am strange because I don't like the scent or taste of cinnamon very much, particularly if it is a sweet cinnamon ( I like cinnamon only in savory, spicy dishes)--so I don't think this scent is for me, but I can understand why others would like ti.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 22nd February 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

something I would describe as creamy and warm in the base. I would like to smell more of that base and less of the lingering cinnamon.
    That's what I smell as well! I'm guessing that's the gaiac wood. Milky/creamy is the only way for me to describe it too. I do enjoy that note a lot. No, you're not alone in the cinnamon. My godsister does not like the scents I ply onto her, much of which include food spices! She has begged me not to send her anymore samples! All the more for myself, I guess!

Today, I'm wearing Jicky on one arm, and the civet-lavender combo you recommended on the other, Profumo. Hopefully this will not bring upon me unwanted attention by men or horses. Surprisingly, it becomes kind of leathery smelling. Is it supposed to do that?

EDIT: I take that back. Today I found my dog chewing a suspiciously not-dog-to-like object. It was the fragile vial of civet tincture. He was trying to chew it open. This one he chose from all the samples that I had inadvertently left in his reach his reach.
    Yikes! 'Glad he didn't swallow it. I haven't exposed my animals to the civet yet. I'm a little worried about doing that, actually.
    Last edited by Aiona; 22nd February 2009 at 01:56 PM.