Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: La Via del Profumo's samples -- Impressions

I ordered samples after reading Quarry’s previous thread. I like the first batch so much I ordered a bottle and a second round of samples ( Tea of the Isles, Fruiti Paradisi, African Night, Tasnim, Tartar Leather, Bambini, Angelica Water, Samurai, Arabia, ) I'm just getting started with most of the second round (work and a cold have intervened) but here is my summary so far.

Round one
    Tcharas Love it , wear it often, ordered a bottle

Oakmoss love it too and will likely have a bottle soon.

Hindu Kush I like this too. Now I have decants thanks to Quarry and Profumo. Will probably order a bottle when they are gone.

Holy Water. From the notes I should not like this at all. I like sandalwood and incense but I am very wary of rose and orange blossom or anything that smacks of citrus usually makes me run in the opposite direction. But this one is magic. there are days I crave it for it.

Grezzo not me at all will smell again but it didn’t grab me the first time around.

Seawood an interesting take on vetiver with some spice

Round two – first impressions
    Tartar Leather – new love. "Need a bottle NOW!" and will probably get one very soon.

African Night – ½ of tartar leather (with hector which I haven’t smelled alone) nice but more floral than I’d wear most of the time but it might grow on me. I'll definitely give it more of a chance.

Tea of the isles –grapefruit for just a minute or two then mulling spices clove, cinnamon, maybe for a winter spicy scent

Arabia – a wonderful spicy rose scent

more scents and more details to come.

I got home tonight to find my lovely package of samples. I decided to restrain myself to taking a few quick sniffs of a couple of single notes then doing a full-blown testing of Holy Water. So, for the single notes, I chose what I thought would be the easiest and the most difficult. For the latter, yes, I am referring to, none other than, the civet tincture.

Civet. Fecal. Malodorous. Difficult indeed. But it did settle down into an interesting animalic skin scent on me. I only used a tiny drop of it, so I don't know what would happen if I used more. I can't say that I liked it, but I will probably play around with layering it.

Next, I tried a drop of the Bergamot. Love. Deep citrus. Hmmm, as opposed to light citrus, I suppose. Uplifting and soothing at the same time.

Now for Holy Water, which I sprayed fairly generously on my arms. This is such a fascinating scent with a wonderful development. The first notes that I detected were light and woody, which came as a surprise. I thought that I would smell orange blossom on the opening, but I did not. It never asserted its presence obviously, but it softened the other notes as the fragrance developed. And what a development! Soft, uncomplicated incense. Neither dry and austere or sweet and ambery. Great scent!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

I've got my samples!!!!!

I'm wearing Holy Water today.

The name matches the fragrance beautifully, because while it is truly an incense scent, there is a freshness that lasts side-by-side with the darker incense that makes me think of the coolness of water .

Just lovely, and it gets more and more interesting over time. I've had it on for almost 2 hours. I detected this fresh note on first spritz, but in seconds the incense took over, then eventually they reaches a very soothing balance. I would describe the freshness as ALMOST citrus--seems one degree away from citrus, the idea of citrus without the fruity blast, which makes it very smooth.

I agree with mbanderson: "Neither dry and austere or sweet and ambery."

A lovely fragrance.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 18th February 2009 at 02:44 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I received my samples yesterday. Thanks Profumo! Thanks Aiona!
    I am wearing Holy Water today. This is so beautiful. I love the combination of orange blossom and incense. The rose seems to peak in the background.

I also smelled briefly the others. I liked Morning Green very much. I shall give it a full wearing tomorrow. The bergamot essential oil is beautiful. Civet, what can I say, it is stinky. The Karo Karunde is interesting and my guess is that the note is in Rose de Bois, but I may be wrong. African Queen is very strong.

I will come back in the evening with more impressions.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    The Karo Karunde is interesting and my guess is that the note is in Rose de Bois, but I may be wrong. African Queen is very strong.

I will come back in the evening with more impressions.
    Ciao Arwen, I was as impatient as you were that the perfumes reach all of you. Some of these fragrances are very challenging, Civet of course, but also, in this batch of samples, Pink Panther African Queen, about which you politely said that it was very strong. This is my first weird perfume, and I know that it will be a love_hate matter with many.
    Please do not feel afraid to say, "I hate it", or "it smells like ruting cat's pee". This is indeed what I like to understand. I shall certainly not be offended. Your comments about these bespoke fragrances, if they are negative, will be dearer than me than mere silence.
    About Karo Karoundè, in which composition is it a main ingredient?, I shall wait for more of you to give it a try before telling.
    Last edited by Profumo; 18th February 2009 at 05:50 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer
    http://www.profumo.it/Blog/index.php

Wow you guys are doing a great job reviewing the fragrances! I'm still anxiously awaiting mine. I have to console myself daily lol

any day now, any day now...
    Sales thread here

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Sorry, L'aventurier! Your postage was probably the most (aside from moltening's), which makes me wonder if you're farther away from me! In any case, I do hope it arrives soon.

Profumo asked me if my pets had any reactions to these scents. I have 3 cats. And yes, I wondered how they might react to the civet, but I haven't been brave enough to try to see!

Anyway, it's funny that you asked, Profumo, because when I first opened the box, my dogs were whining to come into the room (I had initially closed the door), and as soon as they dashed in, one of them headed over to the box, and he seemed to be enthralled most by Holy Water. I can't smell anything outside of the bottle, but he was very particular that this bottle was the one that most interested him. I don't know if he *liked* it, but he seemed drawn to sniff it.

As I mentioned before, I much prefer Rose des Bois, and alongside my known favorite perfume (Montana Parfum d'Homme [red box], for those that didn't know), I've been wearing one or the other. Both are spicy and make me drool. I don't think I'm a foodie, but I do like foodie scents. And Rose des Bois smells good enough to eat.

I'm still composing a formal review.

Now, about African Queen Pink Panther. . . .

I'm really curious to see what the other members of my sampling group think about this one. I tried it again a few days ago, but accidentally got it all over my hands, which meant I didn't get to sample it very long, because I wash my hands a lot at work. Mind you, I sampled it after I sampled something smelly. . . civet, I think. And although I remember it being a really odd and almost disconcerting scent, its oddity paled after the shock of the civet. I will have to reserve another time when I can sample it without interference.
    Last edited by Aiona; 19th February 2009 at 03:55 AM.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Second night of testing:

I have Karo Karoundè on one hand and African Queen Pink Panther on the other. I suspect that AQPP is the one that features Karo Karoundè, which is an odd note indeed. My first reaction to Karo Karoundè was to pull my hand away in surprise. Aiona described it as sour, but I got a bit of a fecal note. I would also add slightly leathery and almost sickly sweet, like flowers that are "going off".

AQPP has what seemed to be a light floral and maybe a hesperidic note on the open and then it grew sweeter. This was followed by animalic floral and leathery notes. This made me believe that I was smelling Karo Karoundè. I found it to be very complex and strong, but interesting. This is not a fragrance that I would wear for pleasure, but rather to challenge myself.

As an aside, my 16 year old son, who regularly wears Juozas Statkevicius, Silver Factory, MPG Santal Noble, Bleecker Street and a few other niche scents, asked me for something new to try tonight. I spritzed him with Holy Water, and a new love was born. I was glad that I had the opportunity to try it on someone else. It made me appreciate it even more!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo View Post
    Ciao Arwen, I was as impatient as you were that the perfumes reach all of you. Some of these fragrances are very challenging, Civet of course, but also, in this batch of samples, Pink Panther African Queen, about which you politely said that it was very strong. This is my first weird perfume, and I know that it will be a love_hate matter with many.
    Please do not feel afraid to say, "I hate it", or "it smells like ruting cat's pee". This is indeed what I like to understand. I shall certainly not be offended. Your comments about these bespoke fragrances, if they are negative, will be dearer than me than mere silence.
    About Karo Karoundè, in which composition is it a main ingredient?, I shall wait for more of you to give it a try before telling.
    Ciao Profumo!
    I will wear African Queen tomorrow so I can provide better feedback. Last night I smelled.all the vials very quickly, but concentrated on Holy Water, and it is beautiful. I wore Holy Water today because I wanted to check longevity, which is very good, I could smell it all day. Tonight I grabbed two vials, one was civet and it is revolting, the other one was Morning Green and it is delightful. Does it have bergamot and neroli? It makes me feel like walking in a garden in the morning and smelling dew on the grass and flowers.
    Evenstar

Ciao Profumo!
    , one was civet and it is revolting, the other one was Morning Green and it is delightful. Does it have bergamot and neroli? It makes me feel like walking in a garden in the morning and smelling dew on the grass and flowers.
    In order to explore Civet, you should put it on a scent strip and smell it over a few days. Civet deserves your attention in trying to discover it.
    I am sorry to have mistaken the label of Morning Blossom, this is the name of the fragrance.
    It is based on Neroli for 25%, so it is a precious perfume.
    Last edited by Profumo; 19th February 2009 at 07:21 AM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dependent
    Blog Entries

In order to explore Civet, you should put it on a scent strip and smell it over a few days. Civet deserves your attention in trying to discover it.
    A scent strip, eh? I don't have any scent strips. Would a coffee filter do?

Ah. . . no wonder I like it so much. Good neroli is really expensive. Where does this neroli come from?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Yes, coffee filters work fine.

I've been so eager to try Civet: I love perfumes with civet notes.

As I expected, it is very fecal--not animalic in the way it comes out when blended (which I would describe as more skunky than fecal). I have actually tried it right on my skin and will not wash it off until I have to--just to see if it changes.

I will try it on a scent strip and let it develop as you suggested, Profumo.

To cancel it out I then tried the heavenly Bergamot (not on the same hand). So juicy and fresh and naturally sweet. . Mouthwatering.

On to new discoveries!

UPDATE: 40 minutes in, the civet has almost completely lost its fecal odor (or , heaven forbid, I'm just used to it and others would run if they met me???).. It smells warm, soft, almost floral. Is this possible???

The
    Bergamot is still pretty, but quite faded--almost gone.

UPDATED UPDATE About 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours in, the civet is almost pretty --just a trace of the foul odor. The bergamot has vanished.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 19th February 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I've been so eager to try Civet: I love perfumes with civet notes.

As I expected, it is very fecal--not animalic in the way it comes out when blended (which I would describe as more skunky than fecal). I have actually tried it right on my skin and will not wash it off until I have to--just to see if it changes.

I will try it on a scent strip and let it develop as you suggested, Profumo.

To cancel it out I then tried the heavenly Bergamot. So juicy and fresh and naturally sweet. . Mouthwatering.

On to new discoveries!

UPDATE: 40 minutes in, the civet has almost completely lost its fecal odor (or , heaven forbid, I'm just used to it and others would run if they met me???).. It smells warm, soft, almost floral. Is this possible???

The
    Bergamot is still pretty, but quite faded--almost gone.

UPDATED UPDATE About 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours in, the civet is almost pretty --just a trace of the foul odor. The bergamot has vanished.
    How interesting, we had the same thought. I put a drop of civet on my wrist. Had one of my cats smell it, he arched his body, walked backwards and left the room. It was very strong. After a few minutes I tried to cover it with bergamot, but I could still smell it, but about an hour later it faded. I will try it on paper tonight.
    Evenstar

I am sorry to have mistaken the label of Morning Blossom, this is the name of the fragrance.
    Oops, I am sorry to have called Morning Blossom by a different name. It is absolutely delicious.

I am trying African Queen Pink Panther today, I even brought my vial to work so I can re-apply. I smell a very nice green note, along with the very strong Karo Karounde. I am not sure how to describe the green note, it is not your classical mint but it smell almost as if you had squeezed mint with your fingers, a bit medicinal, but not candy mint, or mouth wash mint. The green note turns (or maybe it is a different note) into something that smells like mandarine to me. The Karo Karounde quiets down and turns a bit sweet. It is an interesting note but it takes some time to get used to it.
    Evenstar

Dear Arwen, so far you got the best nose. Most acurate, the Karo Karoundè is indeed in Pink Panther, the minty note is Buchu Betulina (see http://www.profumo.it/blog/?p=12 ), and the essence pleasing to children that I used to water down The original African Queen (Black Panther) is indeed Mandarine.
    The accord for this fragrance is Buchu, ylang Ylang and Karo Karoundé.
    When you got used to it, you may love it.
    Black Panther is in the next batch of samples.
    Last edited by Profumo; 19th February 2009 at 09:10 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dear Arwen, so far you got the best nose. Most acurate, the Karo Karoundè is indeed in Pink Panther, the minty note is Buchu Betulina (see http://www.profumo.it/blog/?p=12 ), and the essence pleasing to children that I used to water down The original African Queen (Black Panther) is indeed Mandarine.
    The accord for this fragrance is Buchu, ylang Ylang and Karo Karoundé.
    When you got used to it, you may love it.
    Black Panther is in the next batch of samples.

Wow!! thank you Profumo, I always think that I am not good at discerning notes, but I have had all day to smell and think while I am working.
    Did I read correctly that Karo Karounde is used for some rituals in Africa? That is interesting. Is it supposed to be one of those notes that put people in the mood for love?
    Evenstar

How interesting, we had the same thought. I put a drop of civet on my wrist. Had one of my cats smell it, he arched his body, walked backwards and left the room. It was very strong. After a few minutes I tried to cover it with bergamot, but I could still smell it, but about an hour later it faded. I will try it on paper tonight.
    Oddly my dogs could not get interested in the civet. They go crazy when they smell ambergris.
    EDIT: I take that back. Today I found my dog chewing a suspiciously not-dog-to-like object. It was the fragile vial of civet tincture. He was trying to chew it open. This one he chose from all the samples that I had inadvertently left in his reach his reach.

I should clarify--I put the Bergamot on the OTHEr hand so I could compare the dry downs separately.
    The civet was a lovely surprise over time. Sort of floral.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st February 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Ah. . . no wonder I like it so much. Good neroli is really expensive. Where does this neroli come from?
    My Neroli is from North Africa.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Today was another day in solely La Via del Profumo's Rose des Bois. I don't usually spray more than 1-2 sprays, but this morning I was impulsive and pretty much sprayed 4-5 sprays all over! Almost immediate regret, as I worried that it would deepen through the day, and make me wish I had only done one spritz. But it was still quite nice!! Staying close to the skin, but leaving a definite trail behind me. Longevity is good. It's about 10 hours later, and I'm still nicely scented.

What does it smell like? Well, I'm still holding to that "spicy" aspect. As it dries down, I can smell more of the sandalwood coming out. But initially, it smells like I opened up all my kitchen cabinets, grabbed all of my favorite spices, poured them all out in a pile on the floor and then rolled in it. Lastly, I squeezed a little lemon juice on me. I have been served!

Definitely droolworthy. At least for me.

The samples arrived today - thank you so much.

I tried a touch of the civet tincture today. INCREDIBLY strong to me, very fecal, musky, bodily and warm. There's something very odd about it, too - a fragrance element I can only describe as wet cardboard.

I have a much clearer impression of what civet smells like now. With that in mind, I think Ava Luxe's Rasa Extreme has to be the most civet-heavy fragrance I know.

As it's a pure note, I'm going to experiment with layering it with other fragrances. Today I'm layering it with my favorite floral, Tubereuse Criminelle. I'm curious to see how two such aggressive scents blend.

As I like civet, the smell comes as less of a shock to me than it likely will to some others, but this powerful and quite rank stuff.

Something others might be interested in - my mother could not smell any of the fecal elements in this smell. She said it smelled mild and sweetly musky, with a slight sharp tinge.

Musk anosmia on her part, perhaps?

Aiona, I am looking at what I received from you, and one of the big bottles is labeled Le Fablier--is this different that what you have? It does smell like rose.

Of all the others, I have them--Holy Water, civet tincture, bergamot EO, karo karoude, African Queen Pink Panther, Blossom Green (aka Morning Blossom).

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Aiona, I am looking at what I received from you, and one of the big bottles is labeled Le Fablier--is this different that what you have? It does smell like rose.
    Wow! You smell the rose? I can't get any rose out of it! Ah well. (Oh, wait, yes I do smell rose. Bah, my nose is whacked.) Yes, that's the Rose des Bois. Profumo/Salaam said he forgot to put the correct label on it. Le Fablier is a company he has made signature fragrances for, I believe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Salaam!)

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    my mother could not smell any of the fecal elements in this smell. She said it smelled mild and sweetly musky, with a slight sharp tinge.

Musk anosmia on her part, perhaps?
    'Must be! How interesting!
    Last edited by Aiona; 20th February 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Wow! You smell the rose? I can't get any rose out of it! Ah well. (Oh, wait, yes I do smell rose. Bah, my nose is whacked.) Yes, that's the Rose des Bois. Profumo/Salaam said he forgot to put the correct label on it. Le Fablier is a company he has made signature fragrances for, I believe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Salaam!)
    "Rose des Bois" is the name, I just forgot to stick the label. A lot of rose burried in woody scents (much Gaiac wood) and home spices /Cinnamon). I am glad at the success that this perfume recieved from you ladies, I had to present 12 versions to the Signora Le Fablier before meting her satisfaction. We were really 2 persons at composing this perfume, her and I. It was a christmas present for their customers.
    When you see the products of Le Fablier you will understand why the woody notes and the home spices with the rose, and why the owner wanted to emanate with this fragrance. http://www.lefablier.com/

Some women do not smell the fecal head notes of Civet and their nose goes straight to the heart of the fragrance. It is not anosmy, it is a special affinity that they have with this scent. It certainly is conditioned by the state of their hormonal condition. It means civet (a pheromone) has a positive effect on their endocrine system.
    Last edited by Profumo; 21st February 2009 at 01:08 PM.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

Dependent
    Blog Entries

It certainly is conditioned by the state of their hormonal condition.
    What if you're in menopause?

What if you're in menopause?
    I have not observed that liking Civet was linked to this specific state. Rather sometimes with the absence of a man in life. The best essence for menopause and it's simptoms is (a good) Cypress.
    AbdesSalaam Attar
    Composer Perfumer

I am one of those women who is not smelling the dirtiness of Karo Karounde, Profumo. But it is sour on me. At once pretty and sour. I can see how it enhances other blends. In time (an hour or so) it is not at all sour. And it certainly does not add sourness to AQPP.

AQPP started out very minty on me, but that lasted just less than a minute, then it balanced out. This is a scent I would love for my husband to wear. It smells very warm and alluring close tot he skin. It is unusual (a very good thing) without being weird. I do not find it too strong at all.

Blossom Green, on first spray, reminds me of a more traditional fresh, clean,spring scent, in the men's cologne genre: a little citrus a little floral. It becomes more floral, much softer in short time. In addition to fabulous neroli. i'm smelling another flower. At first I thought it was a very small dose of lavender, but later, no...I'm not sure what it is.... The texture has developed, too, from sort of sparkly, even fizzy, to more powdery to creamy. Lovely. I can't stop smelling my arm. WAIT--is that rose? My husband loves it on me and suggests I wear it often.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st February 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I have not observed that liking Civet was linked to this specific state. Rather sometimes with the absence of a man in life.
    I now have this insatiable urge to bring my civet to work and dab it on all the women to see who is hooked up and who is not. But it's interesting that you mention this, because on another thread I think I asked other women if they notice a difference in their preferences at different times in their cycles. I believe I do. I may have to try the civet again in another two weeks, and see what I think, then. 'Not looking forward to this. This is purely for the sake of investigation.

WAIT--is that rose?
    You made me smell twice! I still can't tell what I'm smelling, other than the citrus and neroli. Maybe incense. I don't smell rose, but then again, it took Asha mentioning it before I could smell it in Rose des Bois. Sometimes I don't know if I'm just "smelling" something because someone else said they smelled something, or if I'm genuinely smelling it. I'm glad Nostalgie smells mint too, in African Queen Pink Panther. That's so affirming!
    Last edited by Aiona; 21st February 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Well done, Aiona,

Okay, the next bottle has Le Fablier on the bottle. . . but Profumo let me know that he forgot to put the correct label on it, so it's actually Rose des Bois.

But forget that I said that, because. . . I just don't smell any rose in it. Or do I? I guess I do. But not initially. No, I smell cinnamon! Or is it cardamom? Coriander, maybe? It's really hard to type when your nose is glued to your knee.

Salivation. I like it. I'm a sucker for spicy scents.
    I'm just trying Le Fablier today. AIona, my initial impression is like yours: I find the top note to be lots of cinnamon, and a slightly sweet cinnamon at that: it reminds me of the candies called "Red Hots," Over time the cinnamon clams down and I can smell rose, and the entire blend softens. I am not good at detecting notes, but there is something I would describe as creamy and warm in the base. I would like to smell more of that base and less of the lingering cinnamon.

I am told I am strange because I don't like the scent or taste of cinnamon very much, particularly if it is a sweet cinnamon ( I like cinnamon only in savory, spicy dishes)--so I don't think this scent is for me, but I can understand why others would like ti.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 22nd February 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

something I would describe as creamy and warm in the base. I would like to smell more of that base and less of the lingering cinnamon.
    That's what I smell as well! I'm guessing that's the gaiac wood. Milky/creamy is the only way for me to describe it too. I do enjoy that note a lot. No, you're not alone in the cinnamon. My godsister does not like the scents I ply onto her, much of which include food spices! She has begged me not to send her anymore samples! All the more for myself, I guess!

Today, I'm wearing Jicky on one arm, and the civet-lavender combo you recommended on the other, Profumo. Hopefully this will not bring upon me unwanted attention by men or horses. Surprisingly, it becomes kind of leathery smelling. Is it supposed to do that?

EDIT: I take that back. Today I found my dog chewing a suspiciously not-dog-to-like object. It was the fragile vial of civet tincture. He was trying to chew it open. This one he chose from all the samples that I had inadvertently left in his reach his reach.
    Yikes! 'Glad he didn't swallow it. I haven't exposed my animals to the civet yet. I'm a little worried about doing that, actually.
    Last edited by Aiona; 22nd February 2009 at 01:56 PM.