Code of Conduct

Thread: Reefer Madness!

Talking Reefer Madness!

For some reason, I get a strong scent of pot in several fragrances that are well-loved here on Basenotes and elsewhere. Most recently it is Annayake's Miyako. Others include PG Une Crime Exotique (less so now that I'm re-sniffing it after a break) and PdN Vanille Tonka. Perhaps it is my age and the times in which I grew up, but I'm wondering if others get a similar accord from certain fragrances..? And which note or notes do you think are responsible?

Default Re: Reefer Madness!

Yes, I get it from some of the vintage Lanvin fragrances I have been trying. But, I think it is actually sage--it smells smoky, herbal and dry, very similar to when I have smelled burning sage bundles at new age gatherings

Of course, the first time I commented that the sage smelled like pot, the ladies really made fun of me...

Bandit by Piguet has been the focus of many "smells like maryjane" comments. I personally disagree and can only wonder at the low grade product these commenters must be referring to (or reefer-ing to). I think the impact of a leather accord on some noses can be interpreted as a burning/smoky smell - and we all know that Bandit is the queen of leather.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 12th February 2009 at 06:33 PM.

I get a little bit of a pot smell in the drydown of Chanel Sycomore. I find it rather pleasant!

I get a sourish pot-like accord from many green fragrances, including Chanel No. 19 and Jolie Madame. I suspect it's the galbanum but still am not sure. It's pretty strong and not pleasant to my nose.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Institution

I think it's vetiver that's responsible for the times I've smelled it.

I've smelled it in Terre de Hermes (in the drydown) by Hermes and Guerilla 2 by Comme des Garcons (in the top notes).

I thought that too, Mike, and it sure is possible that vetiver is a component. However, what I smell in vintage My Sin, for example, is far more ashy and burned smelling than the smoky vegetal smell I get from vetiver in the drydown stage.

So far, implicated in the weed smell of some of our beloved perfumes:
    Sage, vetiver, galbanum and leather accord.
    I don't think Un Crime Exotique has much of any of those, but it does have TEA, as does PdN Fig Tea. Maybe it's the tea? I will go back and re-sniff. Must do more research!
    Also the opening salvo of Miyako is strongly 'HERB'-y to me. I think it's a resinous culprit, but don't know which one. Incensey fragrances are not an area of familiarity for me, but that will change with time, I hope!

This is such a great thread. I have worn Molinard de Molinard since I was young. When I was a teen my mother would always suspect me of using marijuana, which I did not, and I never knew why. After a while I realized that the only times she made these accusations was when I wore said Molinard scent. I finally had her smell the scent, and she concurred that this was what was making her suspicious. I believe it has Vetiver in the dry-down also.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Heeley Eau de Verveine - marijuana pure and simple

Demeter Cannabis Flower - marijuana unabashedly

It comes in so many different sweet/sour/peppery/fruity/skunky/woody/citrusy varities that it's hard to nail it down to one scent....I do tend to gravitate towards scents with green leafy notes and sweet warm lemongrass/verbena type smells. Sisley's Eau De Campagne smells closest to the aroma of the live fan leaves (which smells like like a skunkier/sweeter tomato leaf). I even once had a lebanese strain that produced the smell similar to the small dry marshmallows in breakfast cereal & myrrh LOL....that Lebanese strain smelled kind of like 3/4 thru L'Occitane's Eax Des Bavx's development. In 1999, I had a bootleg Drakkar named Draggon (I was broke in HS), that all my black homies swore smelled just like some fire. lmao

Also, slightly off/on topic, if anyone knows a reputable source for pure Myrcene (in refined aromachemical form), shoot me a PM.

Thanks.
    Peace.

Strangely, Fresh's Cannabis Santal and Cannabis Rose don't remind me of any strain, and I've smoked hundreds, possibly thousands of different breeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banned_in_BASENOTES View Post
    Heeley Eau de Verveine - marijuana pure and simple

Demeter Cannabis Flower - marijuana unabashedly
    Sometimes the Citral in Vervaine/Verbena reminds me of Trainwreck/similar syrupy-lemony strains, but the Heeley I found too synthetic(and not funky enough) to smell like Weed pure and simple. The Demeter I haven't tried, and I think I will now.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Strangely, Fresh's Cannabis Santal and Cannabis Rose don't remind me of any strain, and I've smoked hundreds, possibly thousands of different breeds.Sometimes the Citral in Vervaine/Verbena reminds me of Trainwreck/similar syrupy-lemony strains, but the Heeley I found too synthetic(and not funky enough) to smell like Weed pure and simple. The Demeter I haven't tried, and I think I will now.
    Well, living near Berkeley I've smelled plenty of Weed () and I agree, Cannabis Santal and Cannabis Rose don't remind me of the stuff at all. I love them both, btw.

I am wearing Guerlain Vol de Nuit, and I get that same sage/vetiver/oakmoss quality that smells like burning herb.