Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cuckoo for Cocoa

I have a confession to make - I love cocoa in a scent. I'm not really fond eating chocolate, and I detest it in a fragrance but every frag I've tried with cocoa notes in it, I like. My favorite of the bunch has to be Dior Homme. It's very subtle, slightly powdery and simply divine. L'Instant PH is my second favorite. The cocoa here is more present but it mixes quite well with the vanilla & citrus. And my third favorite is, don't laugh, CK IN2U Him. Yes, the cocoa here creates a cannoli gourmand effect that saves this from being ordinary.

Can anybody add any other cocoa scents that maybe I've missed?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Cuckoo for Cocoa

Have you tried Tobacco Vanille? If not, see if you can get a hold of a sample of it. On my skin, it dries down into this wonderful warm and creamy vanilla/cocoa blend with a hint of cinnamon. That is when the tobacco note begins to fade and those notes become more prominent.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale. I think you'll love it!

Smile Re: Cuckoo for Cocoa

I'm not sure I know the difference between a cocoa note, and a chocolate one...does anyone care to enlighten me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    I'm not sure I know the difference between a cocoa note, and a chocolate one...does anyone care to enlighten me?
    I think it depends on the intent of the person who is talking about it; cocoa could mean hot chocolate, in which case it would be the same thing, IMO, or it could mean unsweetened chocolate, in which case it would be drier and less gourmand, again, IMO.

In the latter case, I would recommend Borneo 1834; dry cocoa with an unsweetened, medicinal patchouli.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Montale's Chocolate Greedy reminds me of the smell of brownies or chocolate cake from Dunkin Hines or Betty Crocker. It's pure chocolate, or more specifically, chocolate or cocoa powder, to me.
    Last edited by nthny; 12th February 2009 at 05:30 AM.

If you truly mean cocoa as in cocoa and not chocolate, then I'd suggest trying M. Micallef's Avant Garde. Its cocoa powder mixed in with suede.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

You probably already know, but if cocoa is what you like in Dior Homme, you MUST get the intense version asap.

And I agree, the difference between a chocolate note and cocoa note should be whether or not it comes with a sweetness in the same accord.

Post Thanks / Like

The above are good suggestions.... a few more:

Rochas Man
    Bond No.9 New Haarlem
    CSP Vanille Mokha

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Raw cocoa is not particularly sweet, not until the make chocolate out of it and add a ton of sugar...

Cocoa is in fact rather bold and bitter. That's why I like it in a scent.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature