Code of Conduct

Default Frags with great initial buzz that quickly fizzled?

For those of you who have been keeping track of these things, I'm wondering which frags had this progression; a lot of praise here on BN at least (for a short while), then they faded away quickly. From what I've seen this may have happened with Stardust, though it's before my time here. Also, I see this may be the case for Dior Homme and Balmain's Ambre Gris, but because I am not much of a "crowd follower," I'm wondering what the BN veterans think. No need to mention the popular frags; I'm interested in the ones that got a lot of buzz here (and then it faded away fairly quickly), but not in the "mainstream." Thanks.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th February 2009 at 03:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Frags with great initial buzz that quickly fizzled?

Stardust came to mind immediately. I don't know about Dior Homme, it has many dyed-in-the-wool followers now.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I think Geir was all the rage a few years ago.

And I bought all of them blind...

Stardust for men, Geir, Dior homme & Balmain Ambre gris right after they were put on a pedestal here on basenotes.

I only love Dior homme though but since I paid US$130 to buy Stardust I am cultivating my love for the pricey blind buy

Balmain Ambre gris is a latest buy, still undergoing testing.

Coming back to your thread, I think Montales were really talked about at one time (particularly during their crazy sales) & now they don't get spoken about a lot.

I had the chance to experience, back in the 90's, a true frenzy regarding Acqua di Gio and Cool Water. Now, I don't have any offensive remarks against these scents or their wearers, nor do I try to rate them neither positively nor negatively, yet I could not help noticing that the hype is not as intense anymore, as it was during the middle and the end of the past decade.

Idole de Lubin

It's hard not to notice a significant backlash here against Creed.

Michael for men by Michael Kors came to my mind - I have never experienced such a fragrance as Michael that comes on so rich and deep with patchouli, tobacco, and suede but after three hours will disappear without a trace.

I had the same problem with MfM, but when I had a chance to grab a bottle cheaply I did. What I realize now is that as a "newbie" I had a lot of problems with topnote olfactory fatigue, so I started to blow on the area to avoid the intensity of the topnotes. That said, I still notice that for a while MfM seems to be gone, but now it comes back. I'm really glad I decided to revisit it.

Mr Dalliard

Dior Higher Energy. It disappears about 1 hour after I spray it on and then there is no trace but it bizzarely comes back if I take a shower.

I wonder if the perfumer of these kinds of frags had in mind a guy who sweats a lot when creating them. I hardly sweat at all, so I seem to hold on to the mid notes better than a lot of other people. I also notice that if the area is wet down (as I do when I wipe the area for applying a different frag), sometimes there is some of this kind of "reactivation."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th February 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Idole and Geir come to mind, also l'Anarchiste... Rive Gauche PM... there have bene a few others but can't remember them now

L'Anarchiste (might need a few more testings)
    Yohji Homme
    Gucci Rush for Men

hmmm...

Dior Higher Energy
    Baldessarirni del Mar
    Idole de Lubin (who talks about it anymore?)
    Opus 1870 (some good reviews back then, then it sorta died)
    Tumulte pour Homme (one of the best cedar scents back then, all of a sudden disappeared )
    Ferré for Him by Giancarlo Ferré
    Kiton Black (positive reactions, not a lot of buzz anymore)

cheers

I could be wrong, but I think this thread took on a different meaning than the original poster intended. What I read was, which fragrances received a lot of hype/praise, only to disappear soon after--nothing to do with a fragrance's longevity.

I think a history of a lot of fragrances are cyclical. I know way back when, Piper Nigrum got a lot of heaping praise from Paul G and myself. Then it died down the less we posted.

I do agree Idol was one of the more hyped fragrances prior to coming out, something which I attribute more to certain outlets "pre"-selling it, and it just never lived up to my expectations and I sold it away within a few months.

Salvador Dali's Laguna is one that had quite a following, and it may still rank as being under-appreciated, but I don't see too many threads inquiring or dedicated to it any more.

I thought about writing a post looking back at the fall of 2002, when both Cuiron and M7 came out. These two fragrances were the topic of many discussions. I bought Cuiron immediately, falling in love with it. M7, not so much so; I had numerous samples of it and just couldn't get into it. Reading the most recent review in the directory got me thinking that I've definitely seen, or sniffed, my taste, er smell, in fragrances change over the year, and have a bottle on the way. These two fragrances, now over 6 years later, stand as true originals (as well as the test of time)--there have been too many similar fragrances launched over that particular time frame, but these two remain, for me, as fairly unique.

Stardust has had a cyclical life as well. I recall Ali discussing how much he liked it way back on the Yahoo! boards. It became the topic of numerous discussions, and seems to have recently been resurrected about a year or so ago when it became almost impossible to find and prices were outrageous. Now, it appears it's fairly easy to acquire at a modest price. So, in a sense, it seems the popularity of discussion on the boards is somewhat dependent on whether very few have tried it, or, as it became more readily accessible, more people purchasing it.

There's always going to be the flavor of the week, especially now when it appears the number of fragrances to be released has skyrocketed. I know there a number of other scents that were high on the buzz factor, only to limp away silently into the night... But the one scent I saw die a death faster than others (without the buzz), was probably Calvin Klein's Crave. That was DOA.

I got a sample of Stardust nearly a year ago, and I've tried it 4 times, separated by at least a month. I still can't understand why it was so popular, but it may be that there's a note that's too strong (and that I don't generally like). I've never seen a note pyramid for it, so I can't say for sure. I guess I've been at least a little responsible for Adidas Victory League buzz, though I don't think it was ever as buzzy as some of the others (and it's less than $10 for a 100 ml bottle).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th February 2009 at 03:28 AM.

Bigsly,

Here you go. Had to go to the old Yahoo! groups to find the secret recipe for Stardust:

Top Notes: Mexican lime, Mediterranean lemon, Siberia fire needle,
    and shaved nutmeg

Middle Notes: jasmine, sandalwood, Indonesian patchouli

Base Notes: bourbon vanilla, creamy amber, and impressions of leather

Thanks. I'll guess that it is the sandalwood that I didn't like. Too much of it and I actually experience a choking sensation. The notes sound great, though, and if it was balanced more to my liking, I might've grabbed a bottle when the price came down.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th February 2009 at 05:08 AM.

Anything Tauer is all the rage when released, but the only one prominent one is L'air. Tauer is great! Awesome! Artistic! Love his blog! Two weeks later? Nada. Domenico Caraceni was the same, especially with the "its no longer available" tag.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Re: Frags with great initial buzz that quickly fizzled?

When I joined L'Artisan Parfumeur was huge favourite here. When I ordered my first niché samples, alot of them from this house; I found them to be nice and easy to like, but in the end far from high standards of LV, MPG or C&S, which where the other houses I sampled back then. Passage d'Enfer and Voleur de Roses were so popular back then. After maybe one year Tea for Two and Dzing! became favourites here; Mechant Loup to a lesser extent.

Of individual scents, Piper Nigrum used to be the biggest hit from LV, like Thebark mentioned. Tam Dao and Philosykos were hyped alot too.

I feel like Montale is one of these. Great buzz recently, and now that buzz has almost disappeared. Montale still has loyal followers, but there seems to be less now than 8 months ago.

I also feel like M7 is one, but not in the same sense. It debuted to great fanfare in the mainstream, but soon faded away and is not even sold at the department stores I visit regularly. This stuff rocks, but the mainstream ignored it. Basenotes is still on the bandwagon and is probably the only thing really keeping M7 alive. I WISH I had not traded my bottle (for Armani *barf* Code).
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Stardust for Men was (and may still be available quite reasonably at around $10-$12 each depending on bottle size if I remember correctly) from a group holding the remaining rather large stock of it. The problem was (is) not many know about it and I don't know how inexpensively the current owners of the remaining stock, which includes other Stardust products, will sell only a box or two at a time or even if they will, as I didn't ask.

I bought a small horde of both the 50ml and the 100ml spray bottles directly from them, kept what I wanted to put away and gift out and basically sold the rest to Basenotes for what I had in them, plus shipping/boxing and an add-on fee which was in part to recover my own shipping costs when I bought them. At the time I had already bought one 100 ml bottle for $99 + $8.95 online and a couple in the mid $40 range locally at of all places a flea market.

I think it is a great frag. The deeply lime-citrus-salt opening is intriguing and in my experience unmatched by any fragrance I have sampled. But without a real constant and reasonably priced supply on the market along with an advertising program I doubt if Stardust for Men will ever make 'a comeback'--if it was ever 'there' to start with.
    Last edited by kbe; 20th February 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon