Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Homage by Amouage

The ultra exclusive (ultra expensive) Homage by Amouage is quite a work of art, guys and gals. I've worn it 3 times from a sample (thanks jr4dt and NEOTY26) and every single time I wear it, it reveals a little bit more of itself to me.

One of the most unique parts of Homage is the tart explosion of citrus notes that are incorporated into the top notes. It is an effect you rarely smell in attars and the smell reminds me of Turkish Delight candy (the original rose flavored ones) with lemon juice squeezed over top. Sweet and sour. Dusty (the confectioners sugar) and chewy (sweet rosy gelatin). Just delicious smelling, not too sweet and perfectly diffused onto the skin.

Application of an oil like this can be tricky for most of us guys - I admit, some mornings I grab, spray and go. Homage is an oil, and it needs to be applied by dabbing it on, which can feel awkward. Also over applying is also easy to do with an oil based scent. For this scent, you need a very little amount of this scent to pack a wallop of sillage and longevity. I found myself dabbing it on my wrists, behind my ears (I know, I know...), the inside crooks of my elbows and a tiny bit on my chest.

The rose arrives somewhat quickly after the citrus burns off and as I've said before it smells like a huge garden of roses and flowers have been collected and distilled into this scent. Roses, white flowers (something slightly indolic...jasmine?), lillies, and a ton of other flowers I can't pinpoint. At one point I get a little dusty texture to the floral element that evoked a feeling of flower pollen in the air. Lovely. I think this is the part of the scent, that scares most men testing Homage. You have to be comfortable wearing a strong floral, to like this part of the development.

The rose is said to be a taif rose. Other scents I've encountered with this note are Ta'if Roses by Montale and A.maze by People of the Labyrinths. TR is hard to 'get' the taif rose accord in because it has that HUGE Montale medicinal, aoud accord cutting through it. A.maze was incredibly good, but also gothic, vampire dark, animalic and didn't smell of other florals. I enjoyed A.maze immensely (the parfum is much better than the EdT) but because it is a alcohol based scent it tends to create potent and invasive sillage. It also features saffron and this is tricky on my skin. Homage on the other hand, applied discreetly, is rather rich and complex. I don't feel a trail of floral leaving my body when I step up and walk across the room. However closer to my personal space the rose, frankincense and aoud beam off my skin quite nicely.

It smells fantastic when my body temperature rises, which surprised me. I took a walk alongside the marina next to my office this morning (it's a hot Miami day) and Homage didn't get cloying or too heavy. The sweat and fresh air kicked up the salty frankincense a bit more. A good thing.

Is it worth $350 for 12 milliliters? Hard question to answer. It is not more than 10 times better than A.maze parfum ($215 for 100 ml), but it is more than 10 times more expensive. However, I've never personally advocated owning only scents I think are 'worth it'.

The category of rose scents is a crowded one. Homage deserves a place very close to the top.

Default Re: Homage by Amouage

I've gotten anointed with it at Aedes, my temple of worship, and I felt like a Saudi Prince on a New York City vacation. Away from the role I have to play back in Jeddah, but still keeping true to my roots. Worlds better than anything from Montale.
    Reality check: I don't have my own personal oil well, so I'll have to rely on the kindness of the high priestess of Aedes.

One of the most unique parts of Homage is the tart explosion of citrus notes that are incorporated into the top notes. It is an effect you rarely smell in attars and the smell reminds me of Turkish Delight candy (the original rose flavored ones) with lemon juice squeezed over top. Sweet and sour. Dusty (the confectioners sugar) and chewy (sweet rosy gelatin). Just delicious smelling, not too sweet and perfectly diffused onto the skin.
    I agree 100%. I LOVE this attar. Very well said as, also, is your entire review. Homage is definitely worth having in your collection if you love citrus, roses, and/or frankincense.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Terrific review Mike!
    Just what I was looking for. May I ask you how much oud you perceive in this one?
    Does it get very woody at the base?

Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I've gotten anointed with it at Aedes, my temple of worship, and I felt like a Saudi Prince on a New York City vacation. Away from the role I have to play back in Jeddah, but still keeping true to my roots. Worlds better than anything from Montale.
    Reality check: I don't have my own personal oil well, so I'll have to rely on the kindness of the high priestess of Aedes.
    Well, I wouldn't say it's better than anything from Montale since I haven't smelled any of the ultra exclusive oils that you can buy at the boutiques (similarly priced). But I think I know what you mean. This stuff is just so smooth. Nothing medicinal, sharp or difficult - well...except for the floral element of it which might be difficult for some guys.

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I agree 100%. I LOVE this attar. Very well said as, also, is your entire review. Homage is definitely worth having in your collection if you love citrus, roses, and/or frankincense.
    Thanks analavande. And I do love all three - but in this scent, they really weave magic.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Terrific review Mike!
    Just what I was looking for. May I ask you how much oud you perceive in this one?
    Does it get very woody at the base?
    Thanks evogel.

I think it's got a medium amount of oud in the scent. More importantly, the oud it contains is of a very high quality - this is evident from the first sniff.

The base is much more powdery/floral/resinous and less wood prominent. Again, another reason I think a lot guys tag this as 'feminine'. Anything without a 'butch' woody base note and a lot of guys tend to spaz out. I tend to not like powdery dry downs, but a few scents I can tolerate it because the overall scent is so good (Shalimar, Habit Rouge, etc) and Homage is one of them.

Thanks again Mike.
    It's now on my must try list. Nah, I won't spaz from a good floral no matter what. :-)

is there any similarity between this and any of the Montales...? lets say white oudh..golden oudh.. et al...? (just for reference)

btw, thanks for your glorious review!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    is there any similarity between this and any of the Montales...? lets say white oudh..golden oudh.. et al...? (just for reference)

btw, thanks for your glorious review!

For me, there's very little similarity to Homage versus the Montale line. The treatment of oud in it is totally different and more of a player, rather than a star. It's blended just amazingly well and had incredible evolution on the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    For me, there's very little similarity to Homage versus the Montale line. The treatment of oud in it is totally different and more of a player, rather than a star. It's blended just amazingly well and had incredible evolution on the skin.
    thnx J! sounds very interesting.

Great review... this only makes me want to try it that much more. The marketing says something along the lines of "an entire field of roses is required to make a single bottle" - I wonder

I know it's a very tall order, but if anyone is feeling the need to spare 1/4ml or so of Homage, my wardrobe is open in exchange....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Agree.

It would be great if anyone who has smelled any of the Montale pure parfums (that they sell in the boutique) would comment on comparisons/similarities.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th February 2009 at 10:12 PM.

One thing to keep in mind when considering the price of Homage is that you honestly do need FAR less of the oil to equal the sillage and diffusion you'd get from a few sprays of anything else.

I put on the equivalent of maybe two swipes of a dip stick (quarter swipe to each wrist, top and bottom, one swipe distributed across chest) and the sillage and projection is.. well, i'd say I'm on the verge of having overapplied. 12ml really would last a long, long long time. I've got about 1/4th to 1/3rd of a ml here in a vial, and based on how much I put on today, I'd say this should last for a good 25+ wearings. Honestly.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    12ml really would last a long, long long time. I've got about 1/4th to 1/3rd of a ml here in a vial, and based on how much I put on today, I'd say this should last for a good 25+ wearings. Honestly.
    At this rate, a 12ml bottle should give you 900 wearings!
    Are you sure 0.33ml can last you for 25 wearings or even close?
    I mean this is oily stuff and remember the oil sticks much more to the dipstick.

Everytime a thread on Amouage Homage is resurrected, my desire to buy this re-ignites and then I have such a hard time. I can't buy this at the moment, particularly @ US$350 for a 12ml bottle....

is there only one source for this thing?
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    At this rate, a 12ml bottle should give you 900 wearings!
    Are you sure 0.33ml can last you for 25 wearings or even close?
    I mean this is oily stuff and remember the oil sticks much more to the dipstick.

Everytime a thread on Amouage Homage is resurrected, my desire to buy this re-ignites and then I have such a hard time. I can't buy this at the moment, particularly @ US$350 for a 12ml bottle....
    Have you tried it at all, gupts?

Yes, I really think .33ml can last me 25 wearings. I do generally go with lighter applications though (1-2 sprays for most scents, especially other Amouage scents which always seem to be strong!).

I mean, the amount I applied toay was primarily for my own enjoyment. it's been on almost an hour now and the sillage has definitely settled down. For the first hour it was quite extreme. Now it's more of a personal space scent, perhaps projecting out two feet at best from where I appiled it to open skin. If you really wanted to make a statement you could apply maybe double or at most triple what I did, but even so, that's still 300 or so wearings per bottle. $1.50 per wearing? That's a small price for this kind of luxury!

I do really like it. The first hour was mostly a beautiful ethereal citrus which slowly (lasted a good 35 mins or so) gave way to rose and jasmine, with just hints of the neroli/orange blossom behind it, and now the oud is more prominent, melding with the flowers and contrasting beautifully, almost presenting a pollen like note to the mix.

Very good stuff but I can't say so far that this is in a completely different league than say, Lyric Man. It sure is evolving more, though. (Lyric man is a much better choice if you are looking for straight up rose though, imo).

I'll post more thoughts in the sampling thread later on.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 25th September 2009 at 05:25 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Is there any way to get a sample of this oil?

I just saw Luckyscent is now offering samples again. For $16 you could buy two of their 1/5ml samples and have enough for qutie a few wearings!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks, Sculpture! I'm goin' for it.

Homage is a highly concentrated oil. I now transfer a small micro-drop from the dip-stick to the flat side of a clean table knife which I then spread on a wrist (mostly the wrist hairs). This gives more than enough sillage and I think the different notes are more balanced when the oil is applied very lightly. And even then, it really lasts! The first time I wore it, I over-applied - not a pleasant experience as I recall.

I can see how it would be possible to get around 900 wearing from a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    However, I've never personally advocated owning only scents I think are 'worth it'.
    That is hilarious, honest, insightful, and is exactly how I feel!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

It's really incredible but don't believe the hype that it's a world apart from other Amouage scents in quality. Sniffing it side by side with Lyric, for instance, does not leave one with the impression that either scent is just objectively higher quality than the other. Actually, for the first 10 minutes or so I find Homage to smell just a hint sharp with something (likely the oud) that could be perceived as synthetic.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Have you tried it at all, gupts?

Yes, I really think .33ml can last me 25 wearings. I do generally go with lighter applications though (1-2 sprays for most scents, especially other Amouage scents which always seem to be strong!).

Very good stuff but I can't say so far that this is in a completely different league than say, Lyric Man. It sure is evolving more, though. (Lyric man is a much better choice if you are looking for straight up rose though, imo).
    Yes mate....I did get to try it...well almost....

It was a virtually empty vial with just a miniscule drop left in it that was sent to me by a friendly basenoter. I did really enjoy it but I wasn't too happy with it's longevity.

I like stronger scents and when I spend that kinda money I most definitely want them to last longer and project well too. The theme, rose and aoud is not very original anymore. I have tried Washington Tremlett Black Tie which has an identical theme and is just fantastic. Thus Amouage Homage was not really outstanding.

I think the price per ml of Homage is surely a deterrent. It's not easy to convince oneself that that tiny bottle is going to last just as long as another 100ml bottle of a different perfume that you'd probably spray a few times, each time you wear that fragrance.

Blog Entries

Gupts,
    Don't worry about the number of wearings. Any 12ml attar, no matter how liberally you dab it, will easily give you well over 300 wearings - even after taking into account the amount that you might not be able to dab due to it sticking to the walls of the bottle. That is typically what you're going to get out of a 100ml bottle sprayed thrice each wearing.

You can get an estimate yourself by getting one of the cheapish 3ml attars, and keep on dabbing and counting until you empty it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post

I think the price per ml of Homage is surely a deterrent. It's not easy to convince oneself that that tiny bottle is going to last just as long as another 100ml bottle of a different perfume that you'd probably spray a few times, each time you wear that fragrance.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

It's really incredible but don't believe the hype that it's a world apart from other Amouage scents in quality. Sniffing it side by side with Lyric, for instance, does not leave one with the impression that either scent is just objectively higher quality than the other. Actually, for the first 10 minutes or so I find Homage to smell just a hint sharp with something (likely the oud) that could be perceived as synthetic.
    I have to agree that on occasion Homage can lean towards the sour. I think it's one of the greats, probably my favorite Amouage. But the citrus tops notes and woods can bring to mind Pinesol. For me, it's basically a frankincense accord underlined by the non-sweet taif rose. Frankincense has an inherent lemony quality and I think Amouage could have gone a bit lighter on the added citrus, but as Turin states, this was done to appeal to western sensibilities. In the end I find it a very simple, sumptuous accord, needing only drops of the oil from the small bottle will make the contents last me for years. Love the stuff, but it can sometimes be a brutal experience that veers towards the ugly. Ugly like one of those fascinating Francis Bacon paintings which are actually quite beautiful.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th September 2009 at 01:12 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Homage is a highly concentrated oil. I now transfer a small micro-drop from the dip-stick to the flat side of a clean table knife which I then spread on a wrist (mostly the wrist hairs). This gives more than enough sillage and I think the different notes are more balanced when the oil is applied very lightly. And even then, it really lasts! The first time I wore it, I over-applied - not a pleasant experience as I recall.

I can see how it would be possible to get around 900 wearing from a bottle.
    A few months ago, I was gifted a tiny sample of Homage (since I'd run out of my previous samples) and I accidentally dropped the glass vial on my bedroom travertine floor - smashing it instantly.

I have this distinct memory of racing over, on my hands and knees, to scoop up the juice with my hands (cutting my hands a bit on the broken glass) and applying the juice to my arm so I wouldn't entirely waste the sample. Of course, this meant I over applied the scent to my arm and I swear the scent lasted atleast 24 hours on my arm.

My room smelled like Homage for about 72 hours. Insane longevity.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th September 2009 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Gupts,
    Don't worry about the number of wearings. Any 12ml attar, no matter how liberally you dab it, will easily give you well over 300 wearings - even after taking into account the amount that you might not be able to dab due to it sticking to the walls of the bottle. That is typically what you're going to get out of a 100ml bottle sprayed thrice each wearing.

You can get an estimate yourself by getting one of the cheapish 3ml attars, and keep on dabbing and counting until you empty it :-)
    Thanks for your advice mate...I'd keep it in mind....wearing a cheapish attar 75 times will be a bit difficult but yeah...I get the idea...that this little 12ml bottle is not finishing soon......