Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Last year, January 2008, you bought __ and a year later..??

I thought it would be a good idea to use the old 'Today I Bought' threads that we've accumulated here on the Male Fragrance Discussion board. So I came up with the idea to start this thread - you know, a revisit of your fragrance purchases 1 year ago.

Here's how it works: Just click over to the Today I Bought (January 2008) thread and look to see if you posted in the January 2008 'Today I Bought' thread. If you did, reply on this thread and post what happened with that purchase: Did you love it? Hate it? Keep it? Sell it or swap it? Fall out of love for it? Fall in love with it? Grow indecisive about it? Throw it up against a brick wall? You get the drift.

Remember to click on all of the pages of the thread. Some of these threads can be quite lengthy.

I will start:

- Tuscany Per Uomo Forte by Aramis - I bought samples. Loved them. Although I can't say I thought the scent was that much different than the regular Tuscany to warrant seeking out this discontinued scent. It brought back a lot of memories for me, since I was a teen when Tuscany came out and I felt like a punk teenager again when I wore it. Which is silly, cause it's a very grown up masculine scent.
    - Parfum des Merveilles by Hermes. LOVE this stuff, I still have it and wear it ever-so-often. I find I enjoy wearing it in cooler weather - although PdM wears just fine in warm weather too. My little teensy 15 ml bottle is about 1/2 empty and I don't wanna run out of it. I cherish this.

Yours?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th February 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Default Re: Last year, January 2008, you bought __ and a year later..??

Well, I was already a Basenotes member in January 2008, but I was still shy about posting. I lurked for the longest time. Gentlemen and Ladies of Basenotes are very intimidating with all their knowledge of notes and sophisticated niche fragrances. But I remember that one of my first purchases of the year was Annick Goutal's Encense Flamboyant. This year it was Bond No. 9 New Haarlem (I think).
    Evenstar

In 2008 I bought some of the fragrances I've always dreamed of (although only a small part of all my "Holy Grails", even if this expression starts to sound slightly dated) and they include: Vetiver by Guerlain, Antaeus, Knize Ten, Gucci Envy and Eau Sauvage- what else can I say, aside from the fact that in ways extremely different from each other, all these five masterpieces moved me at maximum intensity.

I know I bought stuff last January, but sadly didn't post in that thread. Doh!

I bought Palisander which, after I wore it a couple of times, realized I got an arse note in the drydown that I could not shake. Sold it.

Also bought Vintage Tabarome. I immediately fell for it, but after several months, I realized it was too serious and austere for this young lad. This one is no monkey business, staid, and gentleman's club style. I eventually sold it away, but I must say it is a powerhouse masculine if there ever was one.

Most importantly - how is Ruggles' new vacuum cleaner working???

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    most importantly - how is ruggles' new vacuum cleaner working???
    lol

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...Tuscany Per Uomo Forte by Aramis - I bought samples. Loved them. Although I can't say I thought the scent was that much different than the regular Tuscany to warrant seeking out this discontinued scent. It brought back a lot of memories for me, since I was a teen when Tuscany came out and I felt like a punk teenager again when I wore it. Which is silly, cause it's a very grown up masculine scent...
    Funny you should say that. Tuscany/Tuscany Forte were two of my teenage staples. Clearly we were precocious youths...

Off-Scenter

Last January:

R de Capucci, Dunhill (1934). Both are pretty cheap, and I figured I'd better get them while they could still be got!

Now:

Swapped both of them away! They were good 1980s powerhouse types, but I have better examples of this type in my wardrobe and they seemed redundant.

Le Labo Vanille
    * I loved it - and used up my large decant from TPC that I got at a discount, but could never justify paying that much for it..., and I don't believe I ever saw a group split on it, because I would have probably participated.

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather
    *Loved it too... While I can't wear it very often (it lingers for more than a day even after a shower!), it's really my favorite Leather fragrance, and the type of fragrance I yearn for!
    Last edited by Schachman; 17th February 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Oh, this'll be interesting! Like arwen_elf, though, I was still lurking around then. I first started reporting my buys in late autumn, I think. So if you keep this thread up monthly for the coming year, I'll get to participate too.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I bought Hermes Equipage and Bvlgari Aqua Marine a year ago.

They're both gone and they were forgettable...pfffttt!

AromiErotici

Last year I believe I bought a HUGE bottle of Acqua de Selva. I used to wear this and Pino Sylvestre back in the early 1980's.

This year. the list is numerous for January, but Antaeus Sport was a great addition.

Le Labo Patchouli 24 (50ml Split): Loves it and still own it. It's in my top 5.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (30ml Split): Love it and I went further and purchased a 50ml bottle.

Profumum Patchouly: I purchased it blind because a brand new bottle goes for $240 and I got it used for $100 in the marketplace. Dirty nasty hippy patchouli scent. I ended up selling it to another basenoter quickly after for the same price.

Profumum Samples (7 in total from Luckyscent) - Acqua di Sale, Fumidus, Ambra Aurea, Fiori d'Ambra, Olibanum, Santalum, and Thundra: I was smitten by Thundra the most and still consider buying a bottle, and eventually went onto buying Fumidus after a years testing. The rest were either ho-hum or crap IMO.

Creed Original Vetiver: Loves it. I brought my bottle with me on my recent down-under trip and wore it for most of the time.

I bought Cravache in cold weather. Might not have been January, but it has been about a year. Still love it. It is my highest ranking classic citrusy man frag. I still enjoy the subtle blend of lemon and herbals that make is just a little more complex than most.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.