Code of Conduct

Default what do you guys do about vacations? holidays?

i am kinda new on here. i have been lurking around here and there for about 6 months. i am sure there has probably been a topic about this but i have never seen it.

what do you guys do if you are going on vacation for a week? make 10 decants of your favs? buy some samples?or risk taking like 5 bottles with ya......that could leak or get lost.

I am planning a vacation soon and when i thought about what ones to take i went into a panic! I am not sure if the panic was too many to bring what to bring how much to bring, but the thought is kinda overwhelming!
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 14th February 2009 at 02:33 AM.

Arrow Re: what do you guys do about vacations? holidays?

It's not an issue for me because I don't mind being without fragrances for a stretch, but evidently it's a concern for some folks because I've seen at least one thread about taking fragrances on airplanes.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what do you guys do about vacations? holidays?

Decant a few small samples from your collection, or take some samples from your sample stash.

I don't have to worry about it. I can't afford to go away on vacation for a week. I'd decant a bit of my favorite into an atomizer and take it with me.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm about to go on vacation for a couple of weeks. But I'm going to Paris, so I don't think it's going to be a problem.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Well, I'm about to go on vacation for a couple of weeks. But I'm going to Paris, so I don't think it's going to be a problem.
    Please look up Jean Kerleo while you're there and tell him Aromi needs a gallon and a half of Patou pour Homme for a party I got coming up.

I'm on a plane every week for work. I like to take two or three new decants with me and make the trips into something new. There's nothing better than being in a new city, hotel, etc., and trying out a new accord.
    I also pack a comfort thing, just in case I get stressed.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th February 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I go to The Perfumed Court and buy the little bullet-shaped 'purse atomizers' (5ml). Decant a few ml of a few different scents, label the atomizers, and I'm all set. No problem in luggage and the metal outer shell protects the glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just put some munufactuers samples in my suitcase and go, simple as that
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Decant a few small samples from your collection, or take some samples from your sample stash.
    I do the same. Empty mint tins (like the ones for Altoids) are perfect for stashing them in your suitcase!

I take at least five bottles in my suitcase and then know that I will probably buy something at the airport. It's part of my routine.

Mind you, now I'm single, and being self-employed I never think about going on holiday. I need a permanent girlfriend who likes a lot of sex and is into fragrances. Women tend to like going on holiday. But I digress...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Samples and minis. I never bring full, large bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: what do you guys do about vacations? holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    [snipped]
    I need a permanent girlfriend who likes a lot of sex
    [snipped]
    Wait...what's that got to do with anything?!

I had been wondering the same thing as the OP, actually, so I am glad to see this thread.

Vacations...Holidays...I usually take one bottle of something and a few decants with the express aim and purpose of hunting down some new juices.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

they sell perfume in the airport???? i dont think americans can buy duty free can they? last time i was in canada the people i stayed with were like " you didnt buy smokes at the duty free" i had no idea about duty free stores....so on my way back to the US i tried to get like 10 cartons of smokes and booze. they told me i couldnt bring it into the US only into canada.

Samples, minis, mid sized decants or I'll take a smaller retail bottle packed carefully.

last time i went to vegas like 4 years ago before i was a cologne freak.....i think i was on my 3rd bottle of aqua di gio. and it leaked everywhere in my bag......i cant even consider going somewhere for a week with one smell.....my buddy had vera wang for men..it just came out...it was nice but didnt last long. i think i need to buy some 5ml spray bottles and a funnel.....you guys spray the bottles into the little decants?

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Wait...what's that got to do with anything?!

I had been wondering the same thing as the OP, actually, so I am glad to see this thread.

LOL! - I guess it has more to do with the fact that without a girlfriend I never think about going on holiday...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Take some samples usually. Or decants/minis.

Decants. Lots of them. All labeled and ready to go. I take three, four, maybe ten... depending on my mood while packing.

I am off to Hawaii next month for rest and relaxation. For fragrance, I am taking the following five:

Beyond Paradise
    Comme Des Garcons Man 2
    Kouros Fraiche
    Oliban (Kieko Mecheri)
    Tam Dao

Oh, and a jar of Noxema. I love me some Noxema dried down on sun and salt water drenched skin... mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Decants. Lots of them. All labeled and ready to go. I take three, four, maybe ten... depending on my mood while packing.

I am off to Hawaii next month for rest and relaxation. For fragrance, I am taking the following five:

Beyond Paradise
    Comme Des Garcons Man 2
    Kouros Fraiche
    Oliban (Kieko Mecheri)
    Tam Dao

Oh, and a jar of Noxema. I love me some Noxema dried down on sun and salt water drenched skin... mmmmm
    I want to go! Yes Noxema is awesome isn't it?

the 20ml travel spray that Montale send with your order come in handy. also spray samples of various others.

Post Thanks / Like

I never take frags with me when I go on vacation. But I always buy some new ones when I get there.

noggs

Post Thanks / Like

decants, samples and buy new bottles where you are. I only bring a bottle if it´s small and not a hassle to lug around. On my way to China I had bought 3 FB in Paris
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what's already been said - decants are a staple for me on vacation.

One thing I do every time I travel: I try something brand new that I've never tried before (sample or bottle). That way, the trip is always tied by olfactory association to the scent.

If I'm afraid of a bottle leak I put the bottle in a Ziploc bag.