Code of Conduct

Default Can someone help me out please??? Scents that you or others can't smell.

Yesterday (Valentine's Day) I wore one of my all time favourites, Hammam Bouquet. My current squeeze was staying with me for the weekend for a weekend's er, activity. What was interesting is that she didn't think I was wearing a fragrance at all. In fact she couldn't smell Hammam Bouquet either on my face or my reference spray on the back of my left hand.

Firstly, what is the word when someone is smell-blind for a fragrance as I have forgotten it and it's driving me mad!

Secondly - which scents have you encountered which either you can't smell at all or others can't.

I also have a rose based home fragrance from L'Occitane which she also struggled to smell, so it's clear that her olfactory lobes have a problem with rose based scents. It's the first time I have encountered this and found it fascinating.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Can someone help me out please??? Scents that you or others can't smell.

On me - practically nothing seems to last more than 30 minutes ! I am fed up with shelling out megabucks and then having to check out with people whether they can smell my new frag ! The only thing that seems to work for me is: green polo, hermes t'erre and cheap Gillette type ones ! I'm sure it wasn't like this in the 70's/80's .... I appreciate things need to be more subtle, but for me, nothing is lasting ! By the way, that Penhaligans Hammam was one of my more expensive disapointments in terms of staying power !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can someone help me out please??? Scents that you or others can't smell.

Some scents that are quite vapid to me and hardly ever or NEVER EVER smelled by the others (in case you might want to avoid them one day and buy something stronger and longer-lasting), in no particular order, irrespective if mass- market, designer or niche: Eau de Cedre Bleu by Yves Rocher, 4711, Horizon by Guy Laroche, even ADP Colonia and Royal Water by Creed

expunkboy - that really surprises me about Hammam Bouquet, it lasts a good 8 to 10 hours on me, unfolding all the while.

I've just remembered the word I was looking for , it's "anosmia", the inability to smell or having a lack of olfactory sense in a given area.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes anosmia is the word. I can't smell the lighter musks at all. Like the kinds in AdG and those type of scents, and even in scents which are mostly supposed to be composed of light musks like Bvlgari Pour Homme. I literally can't smell that fragrance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Yes anosmia is the word. I can't smell the lighter musks at all. Like the kinds in AdG and those type of scents, and even in scents which are mostly supposed to be composed of light musks like Bvlgari Pour Homme. I literally can't smell that fragrance at all.

It really was quite extraordinary. I could smell the Hammam Bouquet very strongly on my the back of my hand. It had dried down to its best at the four hour stage and was rich and full with that delicious powdery rose. It still smelled strong. My son could smell it clearly and described the smell accurately. She couldn't smell it at all and partly thought I was playing a joke on her. I have never encountered anything like it before.

Post Thanks / Like

She's missing out. The fragrance of rose is DIVINE. Can she smell real roses? Ah now I am wearing Black Aoud to bed because of this.
    Last edited by genvy5; 16th February 2009 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am beginning to believe that we all have strengths and weaknesses in our sense of smell. I think very few of us sense a fragrance exactly like anyone else (and this is discounting anosmia to certain scents).

Bijan Nude. i guess it has that name for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by expunkboy View Post
    On me - practically nothing seems to last more than 30 minutes ! I am fed up with shelling out megabucks and then having to check out with people whether they can smell my new frag ! The only thing that seems to work for me is: green polo, hermes t'erre and cheap Gillette type ones ! I'm sure it wasn't like this in the 70's/80's .... I appreciate things need to be more subtle, but for me, nothing is lasting ! By the way, that Penhaligans Hammam was one of my more expensive disapointments in terms of staying power !

get black aoud......the world will smell you!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't smell Emporio Armani if I've smelled any other other scent a little while before it.
    Renato

I couldn't smell Mugler Cologne when I went to smell it the other week but in all fairness that could have been down to the fact that while I was trying to smell that 2 SA's were going around spraying everyone with Angel

For some reason I can only catch whiffs of Santal Noble. Whenever I spray it, my DW complains that my scent is rather strong and that I should go easy on the trigger. However, I can barely smell it myself.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Guerlain Vetiver - gone in an hour for me.
    Idole - Lubin
    Costes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver - gone in an hour for me
    Isn't that amazing, GV lasts forever with me. I can smell it on my clothes days later!
    Bulgari PH is the elusive one for me. When I first bought it I literally couldn't smell it. But I've somehow 'learnt' to smell it, or those dormant scent receptors have 'woken up', and now I can appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot smell Bulgari Black....Even if I spray it and immediately shove it at my nose, it's non-existent. I literally have gone through an entire 2ml sample and still have no clue what it smells like! My nose simply doesn't pick up on ANYTHING-- neither good nor bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

I seem to be hyposmic (but not totally anosmic) to Iso E Super. I have a sample of the Escentric frag that's supposed to be more-or-less pure Iso E Super, and to me it smells no stronger than a raindrop on a piece of lumber. Very pale.