Code of Conduct

Default Aromatherapy Certification Program

Aromahead.com now offers a full NAHA-approved Aromatherapy Certification Program online. I am almost finished with my case studies. (Lots of practice blending for family and friends.)

Is anyone else an Aromatherapist? How does it influence your work with fragrances and perfumes?

-Maria
    http://mariabird.blogspot.com

Default Re: Aromatherapy Certification Program

Sorry, you can't get a degree or be certified in something by just sitting in your chair reading a computer screen. Just my opinion.

I agree. I wouldn't even mention the course if it was something like that.

I've taken 120 hours in person studying under a clinical aromatherapist. The online class includes over case 20 studies that must be done in person with others for practical learning, and also includes hours on end of blending activities for lots of hands on experience. The only thing missing is someone lecturing in front of you. (The class also includes professional videos.)

Last edited by MariaBird; 8th February 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks for clarifying. I do agree that online material as a study supplement is a great tool that wasn't available in the past and can really enhance learning.

But it seems there are way too many "buy one degree and get 10% off your next one!" type "programs" out there where the only thing you do is read web pages and answer questions, then when you're done you get to print out a PDF and that's your "degree" or "certification."

Oh I totally agree. That's actually really hurt Andrea as she's worked on marketing the course, since there are so many shitty and absolutely unethical online classes out there just geared at getting people some sort of bizarre phony degree.

Aromatherapy is not licensed or regulated in the united states, so with Aromatherapy you really have to look for courses approved by one of the associations who have set up educational standards. NAHA and in a few months, AIA. They're both really stringent about what they require.

With Aromatherapy, someone could read a book or actually do nothing at all and could legally start calling themself an Aromatherapist. It's pretty scary considering the safety concerns that exist! What I liked about Andrea's course is that it's based heavily in chemistry and not hokey new age theory.

Wow I'm rambling. Coffee time!

So, what good are these certificates in aromatherapy? Sure, you'll learn how to combine fragrances and how to use them. But will it get you a better job in the industry? Do enough professionals know about your particular program to recognize it as legitimate?

Aromatherapy is more of a therapeutic practice than "combining fragrances." It has a lot more to do with applying oils directly to the skin, although pleasing aromas are definitely a big part of it.

NAHA and AIA are nationally recognized governing bodies, but like I said, anyone can up and call themselves an aromatherapist. You can't get hired at a reputable spa and you *shouldn't* be selling therapeutic products if you haven't completed at least the minimum standards of those associations--which include anatomy and physiology courses to become certified.

Thanks MariaBird. So what you are saying is that the certification offered through the program in the first post of this thread won't mean anything if you've already completed the first part of the NAHA and AIA, which all therapists need to have in order to work other than have another piece of paper on the wall? I'm getting confused ...

Hey Aromagal. NAHA and AIA don't offer courses, they certify schools and instructors and grant certification through those courses. There are several offered in the United States. Unlike a degree, the focus isn't on the "piece of paper" it's on the genuine education and experience required to safely practice Aromatherapy or create product lines. (Aromatherapy often focuses on blending products for the home and body, not on creating scents/aromas, which is a common misunderstanding.)

The Alliance of International Aromatherapists doesn't have their guidelines finished yet, but it will be something like 400 course hours, which is more than NAHA requires. Most schools, Aromahead included, have course hours that can be applied toward that AIA certification as well.

With any of these, students need to have Anatomy and Physiology hours. Most practitioners already do since a lot of Aromatherapists are already practicing other modalities, such as massage therapy or nursing.

Hope that makes more sense...

I was really just curious if anyone had opinions regarding addressing perfumery from an aromatherapy background and whether or not the schools of thought caused a conflict or complemented each other.