Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Gio...where has the smell gone!

Please refrain from the AdG bashing, it is legendary.

Basically, I first bought AdG as a newbie last year when I first started to get into fragrances, and I have to say it was fantastic. I was wearing it during Spring/approaching summer in Spain, and it used to smell amazing once my body started to heat up and sweat a little bit. I could smell myself and it never failed to get compliments from females, which is basically the holy grail of any fragrance for me.

Anyway, upon returning to English summer, it seemed to have lost it's power and brilliance of the Spanish sun. It seemed really flat and never recaptured that stunning smell I experienced before. I attributed this to the fragrance going 'off' as I had stored it poorly and left it out exposed to sunlight etc.

So, I bought it again, and have been recently wearing it to try it out, and still can't recapture the smell, although it certainly isn't warm enough yet. I'm hoping it will come good once summer rolls around.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before? It's driving me nuts.

Default Re: Acqua di Gio...where has the smell gone!

Many fragrances behave like this. Some only really come into their own when it's warm, while others in fact can only be worn in winter.

I had similar experiences like yours with Divine L'homme de Coeur, GdC's 8 88 and very recently with M. Micallef Black Sea to name a few.

That last one I sampled in summer and fell for it immediately, should have bought it there and then, because when I finally did, about a month ago, it was very cold and it stays very close to the skin. But I don't worry about it all that much, for I know it will be awesome again when the temperature starts to rise.
    Last edited by Domingo; 14th February 2009 at 08:18 PM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    Please refrain from the AdG bashing, it is legendary.

Basically, I first bought AdG as a newbie last year when I first started to get into fragrances, and I have to say it was fantastic. I was wearing it during Spring/approaching summer in Spain, and it used to smell amazing once my body started to heat up and sweat a little bit. I could smell myself and it never failed to get compliments from females, which is basically the holy grail of any fragrance for me.

Anyway, upon returning to English summer, it seemed to have lost it's power and brilliance of the Spanish sun. It seemed really flat and never recaptured that stunning smell I experienced before. I attributed this to the fragrance going 'off' as I had stored it poorly and left it out exposed to sunlight etc.

So, I bought it again, and have been recently wearing it to try it out, and still can't recapture the smell, although it certainly isn't warm enough yet. I'm hoping it will come good once summer rolls around.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before? It's driving me nuts.
    First of all, don't apologize for liking AdG, I love it too. Quite a few of the frags that others bash are excellent in my book (AdG, Polo etc.).

I am not very careful how I store my frags either. I don't do anything to protect them from heat. I do keep them out of direct sunlight though. I guess that might be causing degradation.

Honestly
    It could be that your just over the scent
    tastes change over time and age
    maybe its time for you to try some 'heavier' scents ^_^
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Nah I totally know what you mean. SMW performs the same way for me. Just wait it out.

Thanks for the reassurance. I hope that is the case and I haven't bought a bad batch or something (which is doubtful considering how big Armani is). Can anyone recommend any more fragrances which 'explode' when they heat up?

I've experienced that with Acqua di Gio and D&G pour Homme, it seems a little body heat and sweat gets them going big time.

Well I smelled Just Me by Paris and its like Aqua but more refined, muskier, cooler. I absolutely dig it! Get it, its better!@

despite the shame i will feel while doing so, i'll check that one out

Aqua Di Gio is simply bad !!

It is the great tragedy of my wardrobe that the scents I love here in the USA, do not impress me while I am in Mexico.

IMO it goes:
    Blue Label,
    Unbound,
    AdG,
    Perri Ellis Red
    Just Me,

With all of them being 95% the same (except for BL which is more like 65%)
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

For the first time I sort of want to pick up a bottle of AdG. It's almost retro. It's so passe it's almost daring. I must get some before it's reformulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    For the first time I sort of want to pick up a bottle of AdG. It's almost retro. It's so passe it's almost daring. I must get some before it's reformulated.
    Exactly!

The biggest problem I have with ADG is the people that bathe in it.

Kenneth Cole Reaction is what I reach for if I really want that type of scent, but Im really a fan of gourmand/ sweet orientals so its pretty rare when I do.

AromiErotici

ADG is an okay frag. Not groundbreaking, but so what? It's pleasant and that's good enough.

I'm not sure about ADG being an eye opener one usage and then mediocre the next.