Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DETECTIVES NEEDED: Help Me, Please!

Hi All,

I need your help.

Since 1971, I have been searching for a fragrance that the sister of my boyfriend wore in high school. Don't be disturbed by the "high school" reference, please. While I admit that I was sniffing it as a teenager through my teen-agery novice nose, it was beautiful and I can not get it out of mind no matter how hard I try... after all of this time. Sheesh!

I AM BEGGING!!!! I need your collective wisdom and noses to help me.

I can tell you this... after all of this time, 38 years so far, the closest I have come is, of all things, Bobbi Brown "Almost Bare". Estee Lauder "Pleasures Exotic" is a close second. Jo Malone "Nectarine Blossom and Honey Cologne" is NOT it, but has a piece of its character. L'Artisan "Ananas Fizz" also has a piece of what I am looking for. GRRRRR! I cannot belive I cannot figure this one out. It was so very lovely I can't even think about the fact that it may no longer be available. Given these fragrance references, I think it may not have been a real complicated fragrance... but it was the beginning of my fragrance love, so it may have actually been more complicated than I can recall.

This fragrance was produced pre 1971 and, at that time, was not available in the US. It was available only in France. Her family came from serious money so I am guessing it wasn't anything cheap. Probably from a Big Name House, but that's only a guess. It was a floral, for sure. It may have had some fruit attached. It had incredible sillage but was never heavy or heady. No one ever disliked it. Pure, floral, clean, greener than sweet... but still a little sweet. The family lived in Hawaii although were not Hawai'n. I believe that her Grandmother, who lived most of her life in Hawaii, found this fragrance for her grand daughter as a memory scent of the Island. They were both "old souls" so I am pretty sure this was not a fly-by-night fragrance. She gave her grand daughter a new bottle of it every year and her grand daughter loved it!.

I was taught (ugh) to never ask the name of a fragrance someone was wearing. I was told it was rude. None the less, one day I was rude and asked, but only once, what the fragrance was. I swear she said "Jeevawnshee". After being rude, I didn't have the guts to ask, "What did you say?" Eventually, I understood that she may have said, "Givenchy". But she also could have said "Fidji"! (BTW, it is not "Fidji" or any Givenchy that I have smelled so far.)

Just so you know, I would like to think I smell most florals very well but when I put Creed Spring Flowers to my nose I smell nothing. I don't mean I don't smell just a little of this and that... I smell NOTHING. I am clearly lacking a "sense" or two.

So.... anyone have a clue???

Thank you. :-)))
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Default Re: DETECTIVES NEEDED: Help Me, Please!

Maybe it is Diorella--it was around in the 70's and has citrus, overripe melon and jasmine.

Gosh, I'm thinking perhaps a Givenchy that you may not have smelled that is now discontinued: Le De. It was, I believe, more widely distributed in Europe, and fits the soft floral with green notes that you mention. It has a beautiful sillage. While it has been re-released recently, the new version is NOTHING like the original. You can possibly get a sample from The Perfumed Court, making sure it is the vintage version.

Asha, thank you! I thought I had checked it out already but maybe not. I'll give Diorella a try.

Lushsoup... thank you too! I thought it might be "Le De" too and I am so sure I already ordered a sample from PC a while ago... but I am going to check my myriad samples.... because maybe I thought I did, but didn't. I'll make sure it is vintage. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Maybe Givenchy III? Both G III and Almost Bare are lily of the valley/white floral scents, and G III was released in 1970. I can see a grandmother wanting to something new and contemporary from a classic house for her granddaughter. G III is described as a chypre, and the new re-formulation is supposed to be soapier than the original. When you say "green," could it be a chypre-like green-ness? Also, keep in mind that when you smelled your boyfriend's sister, the fragrance had probably been on her skin for a while, so when sampling I'd try to be patient and let the scent develop before deciding if that's it. Good luck!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I agree that Le De is a strong possibility. I wore it in high school, and it was given to me by my grandmother, who had excellent taste in fragrance.

Infini by Caron could also fit the bill -- it used to be rather exclusive and it has a lovely green note, but I concur with the Le De and Givenchy III guesses as well.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I did have a vintage sample of Le De and while lovely, it is not it. I may hunt around for the Caron Infini but by the reviews I am reading I don't think that is it either but I will definitely give it a try. Now the Givenchy III I will have to try. I am not sure why I haven't tried that. I actually used to wear Eau de Ginenchy back in the '80s because I thought it was close, but it really wasn't.

I may have mis-written when used the word green. It is most definitely not a chypre. I am a big fan a chypres but what I am looking for is not that. I was going to say white floral but whites always have that cool factor going on. What I am looking for is not cool... but it's not really warm either. I am so sorry I cannot come up with a better description. After 38 years the memory of it is finally beginning to fade and I am so sad.

Thanks again for your suggestions. And the Perfumed Court thanks you too! Hee Hee!

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Maybe Givenchy III? Both G III and Almost Bare are lily of the valley/white floral scents, and G III was released in 1970. I can see a grandmother wanting to something new and contemporary from a classic house for her granddaughter. G III is described as a chypre, and the new re-formulation is supposed to be soapier than the original. When you say "green," could it be a chypre-like green-ness? Also, keep in mind that when you smelled your boyfriend's sister, the fragrance had probably been on her skin for a while, so when sampling I'd try to be patient and let the scent develop before deciding if that's it. Good luck!
    An_oud_girl, I think you and I are on the same page with this one. This is what instantly sprung to mind when reading Beebee's description (and before I read your response)

Givenchy: L'interdit or Le De. You've ruled out the le de (although I think the original smelled probably much better than what we have today), so I'm going to guess the old L'interdit.

I hate to say this, but even if you found it, it might not smell the same to your 50-something nose as it did to your teenaged nose. Our senses of smell change over time, and it can be impossible to capture the intensity of smell something provided our much younger selves.

With that in mind, I'd guess that the fragrance probably was Le De. I imagine L'Interdit was probably available in the US in the 70's, but Le De may not have been.

Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions. Perfume Addict, I certainly understand that it may not smell the same to my older nose. Bummer. But, Le De is really not even near what I am looking for. I am not even convinced what I am looking for is Givenchy.

I did realize that I like a peach accord. When I entered that into the Directory here I couldn't believe it. It read like the dictionary of fragrances I have tried while looking for this old holy grail of mine.

So, I will keep looking. 38+ years and counting. I may have to hire a detective to find the sister of my old boyfriend! Thanks again everyone!!

I am going to toss a really wild idea on the table and run with it: Guerlain Chamade.

Reason: Very often people who are not into fragrances mix up the brands and say something "similar" which has some commonality with what they have, not out of deliberate desire to mislead but due to genuine confusion or even poor eyesight. I would never have thought this would be even possible if it hadn't happened to me personally. I was inquiring (someone I know) on what perfume they were wearing and the answer was Laroche when in fact the fragrance was Lancome (I had a chance to see it in the bathroom and there were no Laroches in the house either, smell test confimed later on). It was a gift....If I had searched the Laroche counter with hopes of finding it it would have been nigh impossible. Yet, she was genuinely thinking it was a Laroche! ~poor eyesight and no great knowledge of who produces what. I later found out by chance she knew the name all right but not the brand.
    So if this was a gift and a repeated one at that, she had no great need to go search for it and see what it really is. Givenchy and Guerlain have the same Gs and French accent to throw out the average person. That's my reasoning at least....

Smell-wise, Chamade is a quite green floral with a hint of fruit in the form of blackcurrant, it is widely complimented by everyone who smells it and has a sillage that is very characteristic. As it was launched in the final years of the 1960s, it's a good contender and it comes from a classic house.
    Last edited by helg; 16th February 2009 at 02:15 PM.

Hi Helg. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I just ordered a sample from The PC and I cannot wait to see if this is it. I'll be sure to report back my findings! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Beebee; 17th February 2009 at 06:05 AM.

Well, wow. I think Chamade is the closest I have ever gotten to my search for this frag. THANK YOU, Helg, for the recommendation! My sample arrived from TPC yesterday and I was so excited! I have been wearing it for 24 hours straight. It is spicier than I remember and has a somberness that I don't recall. That may be my "older nose" but I still think that it might not be quite it.

Any recommendations for scents close to Chamade made pre-1969 from France are still welcome.

To be sure, I just ordered the EDT and EDP from TPC. Reviews accross the internet suggest that the Parfum (which I am sampling now) is a bit heavier (tapping into an "oily" hyacinth rather than a "springy" hyacinth) than the others... and that may be the difference. Who knows....

This hunt is so much fun! Thank you all again for your help!!
    Last edited by Beebee; 21st February 2009 at 03:31 AM.

Did you try the Infini yet, Beebee? Infini has gone through many reformulations of course, but I still think it might be worth a shot. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Did you try the Infini yet, Beebee? Infini has gone through many reformulations of course, but I still think it might be worth a shot. . . .
    OMG!!! I thought missed your post somehow but I think I was actually just swayed by other's reviews. I need to stop being swayed. Thank you for poking me!

I can report that I have just now ordered a sample of Caron Infini from TPC. Hmmmm... and you know, when you say "Infini" and "Givenchy" quickly, they sound very similiar... especially as teenager when you don't know what you are looking OR listening for. Thank you!!! My report and update will follow as soon as samples are recieved.

Thankyouthankyou Leesee! :-)))
    Last edited by Beebee; 21st February 2009 at 05:44 AM.

Hillaire

The YSL fragrance, "Y" is pronounced (ee-grecch). Anyway, it fits the bill, too. Esp. since the Chamade is close for you, the opening greens are similar.

Also, Ma Griffe...(mah greef)
    ???

It's certainly interesting to see I was not that far off! Now we have something to go upon. Something very similar to Chamade and contemporary probably.

Paco Rabanne Calandre might be a possibility.

Oh goody! Thank you for more recs. I have ordered samples of Calandre and L'Interdit. I have tried Ma Griffe but not "Y". I'll have to hunt around for that.

Thanks everyone. I'll report back as samples arrive!

Beebee, I truly hope you find the scent your boyfriend's sister wore, whatever it may be.

Awww Leesee... Me too.

Even if I am disappointed in "its" new formulation, or "its" discontinued-ness... I have been seeking it for just about 40 years and I am ready for this hunt to end. I have been looking for this scent off and on for so many years and just when I think I am close, I get farther away.

In no particular order:

The CONS:
    - Dang, I own way more bottles of juice than I should.
    - Not to mention the cost!!!!
    - Absolutely NO ONE has a nose like me
    - I will never find "it"

The PROS:
    - Dang! I own so many bottles of juice that I love!!!
    - The Hunt
    - The amazing people I have met along the way

And there you have it.

But... I am not ready to give up just yet...

No. No. Not ready just yet.

:-}

After 41 years.... I FOUND IT!!!!!!!

Drum roll please... Galimard Brindille.

I have to credit someone on Basenotes because I had been looking at Bridille for a while but figured with all the tight rules about shipping liquids that I would never get my hands on it. Then someone wrote that they had just received their sample pack from Galimard. I immediately went on line and ordered a sample packet and a small cream parfum of Brindille. I was not convinced it would be the one but I was happy to get a step closer and be able to eliminate one more idea.

My package from France arrived yesterday. Imagine my surprise...

Thank you all for your responses. I tried each and every one of the suggestions when I could find it and had such fun. What a journey this was... 41 years. Dang.

Beebee, I happened to stop at this thread, and it reads like a bit of a story of course... you definitely deserve a
    drumroll! to find this perfume after all these years. What a treat for you- and great detective work too!

I love this story. Thank you. I shall spend the day with a smile on my face. I hunted for Houbigant Ambergris for 20+ years before I found it, so I know..... when it's right, it's right. Well done.

Very happy for you! What a cool story and journey to your prize.

I love a good mystery, especially one with a happy ending, Congrats!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Yay! I'm so glad you tracked it down. That is a great feeling.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This is the stuff of great Detective novels! Love it!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

l love a story with a happy ending! Well done Beebee for your persistence, & thanks for letting us know of your wonderful find!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Woohoo! Thank you so much for sharing this experience Beebee!

What a fantastic story. Do you like it as much now as you did then?

Foustie:"What a fantastic story. Do you like it as much now as you did then?"

YES! I recall being a little sad when Perfume_Addict pointed out the real possibility that my "50-something" nose wouldn't smell this fragrance the same as I remembered. Or, I thought, what if ends up smelling like, bubble gum or something?!! Egad! But, it smells as lovely as I recall. I have been wearing it 24/7...

Congratulations to Mumsy, too, for finally finding Houbigant Amber Gris after 20 years!

We are a tenacious bunch, aren't we?!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Wow. Here's an occasion when the word "amazing" gets trotted out with legitimacy. What a happy ending and new beginning all at the same time.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Squeal of DELIGHT for your happy ending, Beebee! What a nose, what tenacity!
    ENJOY and thanks for updating the thread.
    I say you need to post more often, too.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

That's great! How did you figure out it was Brindille? Just search of the particular notes and sniffing a thousand of possible candidates?

Editing after checking it in the Directory: what type of jasmine does it use? How does it compare with other better known jasmine fragrances? What does it dry down to, on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    That's great! How did you figure out it was Brindille? Just search of the particular notes and sniffing a thousand of possible candidates?

Editing after checking it in the Directory: what type of jasmine does it use? How does it compare with other better known jasmine fragrances? What does it dry down to, on you?
    I literally must have tried 100's of fragrances. Thank God for TPC... Not an endorsement, just the truth. As I tried more and more I realized it had to have jasmine. I was even willing to live with a good jasmine fragrance, even grew it for awhile!. But I really couldn't find a great jasmine perfume and I knew there had to be more to what I was looking for. After someone here suggested Diorissimo and I tried it, it was about as close as I could get... but it still wasn't it. I even tried Vintage Diroissmo. That's where I started to learn about lilies and that lily of the valley is different than lily... and narrowed my search down even more.

In the directory, which kind of mirrored my search, I tried, "jasmine" first... way TOO many results. Then I tried "jasmine, lily"... over 150 options. Then, probably years later I tried "jasmine, lily of the valley" (once I realized there were different "lilies"!). That cut it down to around 80, which read like a list of my wardrobe, in many ways! LOL! I am not sure what made me add "hyacinth"?? Maybe it was that I saw it as a note in Brindille and wondered if that was the elusive one I couldn't quite nail down. That knocked it down to 7 choices. Wow, I thought... Brindille keeps showing up... I have to try it. That's when I decided that there was no way I was going to get it... and the rest is now history.

You know, it's not a fragrance of great depth. It opens a little sharp and then immediately calms into this jasmine, lily of the valley and the hyacinth. The combination to me is what I think of as the perfect floral. I am sure that is very subjective but I judge all florals against this one I had smelled so many years ago and never did I find one that had this lasting freshness about it. Never heady, not really creamy, just that gorgeous smell you get sometimes, walking along and getting a whiff of something wonderful and you wonder what it is.

Now, I am reporting only on the Parfum Creme. The juice is on its way so I may have a second report after that but for now I can say... I am utterly content. This little fragrance took me on a very long road and I met the most delightful people along the way. I can say this with all honesty, I would never have found my Brindille without Basenotes. Both its incredible directory and community of fragrance lovers combined to solve my mystery... LOL... I'm getting a little teary. Really, thank you all!

Like knit said, please post more! You are writing from your heart and it very well shows: honestly and with passion. Thumbs up and hats off to you.

Thanks Twolf. You know, I almost gave up... or maybe I should say, gave in. I actually tracked the sister down. (Gotta love the internet!) I had an email typed up and ready to send to her. But I couldn't get over the fact that the only reason that I was really contacting her was to ask her about the fragrance she wore in high school!!! It seemed so petty. The Fragrance Gods must have agreed with me and took pity! Bless them!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing the step-by-step scenes from the unriddling of your riddle. All of us have benefited by the encyclopedia of knowledge amassed by Basenoters. Your tale demonstrates the most sparkling example of resolution, and you've recounted the story eloquently. Thanks, too, for putting the name Galimard before us. You've inspired this smeller to embark on new direction of exploration.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thanks Quarry! The samples I received from Galimard are pretty nice samples. Ample samples! I have been so stuck on the Brindille I ordered from them (not included in the sample pack) I haven't been able to give the others their due. All in good time I am sure. I will happily report my findings.

Love this thread- amazing how a scent can grab us, to the extent that we spend years tracking it down! And there is nothing like the rush of emotion when you find it. I unpacked my wedding dress today- I can't get it cleaned because it still smells of the perfume I wore that day

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
    I unpacked my wedding dress today- I can't get it cleaned because it still smells of the perfume I wore that day
    Awww... this is just the lovliest thing ever. I am beaming for you.

Thanks Beebee- I'm normally not a 'mushy' person which shows the power of scent! Congrats on finding your fragrance at last

BeeBee, reading this thread made my day, thank you, and I'm so happy for you.

Memory smells are such important touch stones. My dad smoked a pipe and he died when I was little. Every now and then I get a whiff of it by someone passing by. I don't remember him much anymore, but when I get that smell its 1975 all over again and its like I get a hello from my dad.

What a journey beebee. Delighted for you! Thank you for sharing :-)

The whole area of 'memory scents' is interesting. The first perfume I really loved and still love (cacharel loulou blue, the loulou flanker long discontinued) is nothing special to others, and if I smelled it for the first time now I probably would not like it!

Blog Entries

Wow! Amazing! What a thread...*off to investigate Brindille*

Last edited by Fleurine; 8th September 2011 at 12:46 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Blog Entries

I'm so happy for you beebee! I remembered this thread from years back and was hoping for a happy ending when I saw it had been revived. How wonderful!!! I love the picture of the bottle Fleurine has posted. Enjoy!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Firehorse said: My dad smoked a pipe and he died when I was little. Every now and then I get a whiff of it by someone passing by. I don't remember him much anymore, but when I get that smell its 1975 all over again and its like I get a hello from my dad.

Oh my. It is like a "Hello", isn't it? Like he's saying "Hi." to you in a way he knows you will respond. My Mom sends me feathers, especially when I clean my house. Nice clean house and then I start finding white feathers, everywhere... I get such a kick out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Wow! Amazing! What a thread...*off to investigate Brindille*

Seriously... I am drooling... thank you!

Is Galinard one of those French 'ard' houses like Molinard etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
    Is Galinard one of those French 'ard' houses like Molinard etc?
    I don't know. I just did a quick search of Molinard, Galimard and Fragronard and they are all Houses named for people. So the "ard" may be used like, for example, "field" is here in the States, i.e. Richfield, Whitefield, Chesterfield etc...

That, of course, is JUST a guess!

Another little factoid is: I just ran "Brindille" through Google Translate and it means "twig"!
    Last edited by Beebee; 10th September 2011 at 02:52 AM.

You did so well helping Beebee I am hoping you can help me - I'm sure it's discontinued but at least I want to know what it was and if anyone remembers the scent. I accidently discovered a woman's sport fragrance, I'm almost sure was by Fila in the late 70's or 80's. It was a glass bottle inside of the red plastic exterior. I had to go to Bal Harbour shops (FL) to buy it at the Fila store. I vaguely remember such a wonderful scent. I have not purchased many fragrances because it's too overwhelming to select something new. I have purchased others since Fila but I remember being so disappointed when the sales person told me it was discontinued. I remember calling Fila to order it also. Anything familiar?

Hi Lenalcs and welcome! I wish I had some answers for you but I can't find anything about the fragrance you're looking for. To reach the most people here I would start a new thread. Also, if you can be more descriptive regarding what you liked about the scent it may help other members remember something about it. Good luck with your search!

This is an incredible basenotes story! One of the most amazing characteristics of this community is that special combination of knowledge, willingness to help, and the ability to rise to a challenge.

Beebee, your detective work and tenacity on this issue are beyond description. If I ran basenotes, this thread would be placed on a "greatest reads" list!

Congratulations on your find! I'm so happy for you!

Thanks Seattlelight. You're a swee' pea! I am pretty sure this mystery wouldn't have been solved or been near as much fun, both in the search and most definitely in the discovery, without all of you along on the ride with me! I am truly grateful.

This is such a cool story! Congrats on finding your happy ending to it.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Look who knocked on my door today!!! I immediately took her out to the deck, for a drink of course... and a little small talk. I am pleased to report that we got along quite well. She was everything I remembered... and then some.

Don't you just love her dress?!!!

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations on a happy re-union with "la belle" Brindille!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home