Code of Conduct

Default Orris by Tauer Perfumes ?

Hello all,
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what happened to Orris by Tauer Perfumes? I heard it was available on Andy's blog for a shortwhile? Can anyone confirm or tell where to buy these?

Default Re: Orris by Tauer Perfumes ?

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    Hello all,
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what happened to Orris by Tauer Perfumes? I heard it was available on Andy's blog for a shortwhile? Can anyone confirm or tell where to buy these?
    If I am not wrong there were just a selected few buyers who got access to the 'test production' bottles of Orris. I think it's not available anymore, anywhere. However if you get lucky there could be one coming up on the sales board, someday (though chances are bleak). There was one though that came up a few weeks back & it stayed there for like 30min. before a keen member grabbed it.

Basenotes Institution

gupts is correct. More information about the Orris story here:

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...uer-orris.html
    http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...s-by-andy.html
    http://perfumeposse.com/2006/09/11/andy-tauer-orris/

I now own a bottle of this juice and it's wonderful. When I got my bottle and sprayed it on I felt slightly teary eyed...I love it.

Tried it for the first time today. There's something berry in the topnotes that I like mixed with the incense and other notes, mainly rose, if there's any in there. I find it to be a combination of other Tauer scents including L'air and Incense Rose/Extreme, though if I had to pick one, Incense Rose is a good substitute, stronger and thicker.

Can't say much for it, since I only have a tiny bit from a vial, but it's quite nice stuff.

I happened to be fortunate enough to receive a bottle of Orris, and it is without a doubt the best Iris, or (Orris root) fragrance ever created, Not long ago I e-mailed Andy, and asked him if he would ever consider this fragrance ever being offered again Even in a limited production run, and he was kind enough to take time to respond to my e- mail. and said that he preferred to look forward rather than look back. A very nice man to take the time to do so, at least I thought he was. If you run across a bottle on the sales board I would suggest you purchase it, as I don't see it coming back. Such a shame!!! A creation that not too many perfumer's can equal!IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

It is beautiful, complex stuff and a bit challenging in the manner of Mr. Tauer. Name a note and you can find an Orris lover who will swear it's in there. If you never get to smell it, though, you can take comfort from the fact that (or to my nose it seems a fact) that it is familiar in character to a couple other very wonderful Tauer frags. It is less bright and fruity than Incense Rose but it shares the raw incense note and the eucalyptus-like aromatic aspect. Also like Incense Rose, it's initially difficult to find the iris note if your benchmarks are things like Dior Homme. The drydown is the beauty part for me. Very deep, earthy iris and lingering spicy resins.

Sounds like Tauer killed one of his best creations.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Tried it for the first time today. There's something berry in the topnotes that I like mixed with the incense and other notes, mainly rose, if there's any in there. I find it to be a combination of other Tauer scents including L'air and Incense Rose/Extreme, though if I had to pick one, Incense Rose is a good substitute, stronger and thicker.

Can't say much for it, since I only have a tiny bit from a vial, but it's quite nice stuff.
    I agree with you nsamadi - the first time I smelled Incense Rose I thought the same thing: Ahh..! The Orris accord!! But then when I finally got the full bottle of Orris, I realized just how very different this is.

I can't stress enough, how incredibly deep, complex and well...difficult Orris is. It's as if you've fallen down a mineshaft, a very dark mineshaft and it keeps getting darker and darker the farther you fall. For me personally, it takes me down inner roads, inside myself, that I never knew existed. The treatment of the iris is so unique and honestly, I've never smelled anyone do what Tauer did to it. It's as if he used a magic wand.

Ever so often, when I wear it, it reminds me of gasoline for a tiny bit - that wonderful whiff of harsh petrochemicals and some sort of compressed gas. I love that part. Of course, that must sound ridiculous but it's part of Orris' charm.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th February 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree with you nsamadi - the first time I smelled Incense Rose I thought the same thing: Ahh..! The Orris accord!! But then when I finally got the full bottle of Orris, I realized just how very different this is.

I can't stress enough, how incredibly deep, complex and well...difficult Orris is. It's as if you've fallen down a mineshaft, a very dark mineshaft and it keeps getting darker and darker the farther you fall. For me personally, it takes me down inner roads, inside myself, that I never knew existed. The treatment of the iris is so unique and honestly, I've never smelled anyone do what Tauer did to it. It's as if he used a magic wand.

Ever so often, when I wear it, it reminds me of gasoline for a tiny bit - that wonderful whiff of harsh petrochemicals and some sort of compressed gas. I love that part. Of course, that must sound ridiculous but it's part of Orris' charm.
    That sounds truly enchanting.

So, if you get together with a bunch of Basenoters, take a perfumer hostage and get him to make a discontinued scent - does that count as a group purchase? Just speaking theoretically, of course...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    That sounds truly enchanting.

So, if you get together with a bunch of Basenoters, take a perfumer hostage and get him to make a discontinued scent - does that count as a group purchase? Just speaking theoretically, of course...
    LOL

Well, I had a long talk with the owners of Scent Bar about this a couple years ago. They are good friends w/ Andy - he comes over to LA almost every year and spends time with them, in the store, etc. They said Andy made it clear that it wasn't that he didn't want to make the scent, as much as it is too expensive to make it. I think what happened is once Andy blended it he quickly realized that it was going to be too expensive to actually produce - so that's why (allegedly) he discontinued it.

I think, as has been mentioned above, that he has used the 'bones' of Orris, in his other fragrances - to good effect. Still...as someone who owns and loves Orris - there is no substitute.

Let me be clear about something also: Orris is not the most wearable scent, that's for sure. I think it falls in the vein of Onda or Djedi...it's a masterpiece and sometimes this can be a bit harsh and angular. Not something you spray on to go grocery shopping, if you know what I mean. But come every New Years Eve, I reach for my bottle of Orris and that is the scent that always takes me on the journey from one year to the next. It's that kind of scent.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th February 2010 at 04:06 AM.