Code of Conduct

Default Mitsouko / Shalimar

Last week I was looking for a new fragrance for my GF. We have dated only for a month now so I wanted her to have something I like.

Anyhow I went to Guerlain and I tried several. First thing it came to mind was "Why there is no one at the Guerlain counter and Armani or Boss is crowded".
    The answer is no flashy promotional adds or ellaborated counters. Most of the bottles looked updated and very few could appeal to the younger crowd. The SA was not even well trained on the products she was selling.

She went right away to show me the new Guerlain pour homme , I said no thank you then she pulled Vetiver and L Instant. I told her I have them both but I was looking for a woman fragrance. I sort of by passed her and reached for a bottle of Mitsouko and then Shalimar. She was totally on my nerves and trying to talking me out of those two, I felt like she DID NOT WANT ME to buy those two. I sprayed both in paper test and she moved aside to re arrange some bottles. They also had 4 or 5 Allegorias that I tried.

Shalimar and Mitsouko are very nice indeed and I can totally understand why they are such classics. I still have the two paper test and I can get some smell, really special, it makes me want to wear some myself.

I am not really into unisex or feminine fragrances but I would like to have one of those two. In your opinion which one is easier to pull off by a man. I think Shalimar but I am not sure. I would like to wear it at home or over the weekend and little by little understand more what a feminine fragrance does in a man. Once I feel confortable I will wear it more often. This will be my first woman fragrance. Thank you
    Last edited by Basteri; 15th February 2009 at 08:11 AM.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Mitsouko / Shalimar

Shalimar is more feminine and very very sexual in it's way.
    Mitsouko has this japanees distant in it....... if u understand what i am trying to say

Shalimar.... vanilla, civet, some citruses..... thuis is a a lady sittin gon bed waiting for fum

while misouko has the same sensuality.... but she is still wearing the KIMONO that keeps all
    the element together.

i have bothe........ Mitsouko more for the days out side...... SHALIMAR days inside

You might like L'huere blue EDT aswell and Jicky.
    Last edited by moreda; 15th February 2009 at 08:51 AM.

Hi Mr Aoud :-)
    So you will go for Mitsouko?

They both have a soft femininity, so if you can't have both, I think you need to decide if you prefer amber or florals.

I have grown a love for Shalimar! sweet, vanillic, slightly smokey , so very, very sensual and in my oppinion a little easier to like than Mitsouko. I have not have the chance to spend enough time with Mitsouko but found it more edgy, harsh. Thanks for the mentioning, i think il do a side to side of the two today

I love Mitsouko, it is very special and unusual scent when I compare it to contemporary thousands of fruity floral crap offered as women´s fragrances.

On the contrary, Shalimar is nauseating to me. I dislike citrus-vanilla combo.

Just my personal addition.

In my opinion there's no question: Shalimar is the easier frag for a man to wear. In fact, I don't consider it a woman's frag. On the other hand, I think Mitsouko is the better fragrance of the two.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I am more inclined to amber than floral. I like vanilla also, smoky is fine .yumy... I think shalimar is the one. I have to stray it on me or get a little sample.
    The bottle is also very nice.
    Thank you all

I think u shoul buy all of them!
    Shalimar, Jicky, mitsouko , Mouchoire du monsiuer and L'huere Blue.

I belive that MR.Guerlain can explain the differences better than me

Mouchoire du monsiuer is somehow a perfume inbetween Jicky and Shalimar...... try to sample that one.
    Last edited by moreda; 15th February 2009 at 09:57 AM.

They did not have it, I will check tomorrow again , thank you all.

MOUCHOIRE DE MONSIURE is not available at any store.
    only few store sell it along with the niche collection.

u can find it online. it should be about €95 for 100ml beebottle.
    it was limited for quite long time . it was specially made for an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    They did not have it, I will check tomorrow again , thank you all.

Pitty it comes without cap!
    and amazing that u only have guerlain in wardrobe

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Mitsouko / Shalimar

Both Mitsouko and Shalimar are classic scents and wearable by any man. If you want an opinion between the two then I would get the Mitsouko but, I am going to suggest that you get both. If you have learned anything here on Base Notes is should be " if you like it wear it." If Shalimar edt or edp seem a little too strong get Shalimar Light.

I have to go back to the store and check them again and make up my mind

Fernando Friend ,

try mitsouko edt and edp, shalimar all of them..... personally i think shalimar ligth gets too sweet and loses it darkness.

Jicky is great..... Mouchoire is the masculine Jicky ( i know i should have said this- but now u can imagine how it smells)
    L'hure blue edt.... edp is too mutch for u maybe. Mahora and vol de nuit are woth trying to.

Shalimar, IMO, is the easier one to wear. I have both and find Mitsouko's peachy moss a bit too demanding for everyday use, whereas Shalimar is like having a second, sweeter skin.

Off-Scenter

I wear 'em both without a second thought. Shalimar is perhaps a little bit more consistent with traditional masculine perfumery, which encompasses many oriental scents - themselves all distant descendants of the Guerlain.

Basenotes Institution

Sample ALL of them, wear which ever one you like.

Don't expect the Guerlain SA's or your girlfriend or people here on Basenotes to agree with you. That's OK. Wear the one you love anyway.

Life is too short to wear only fragrances other people will approve of.

Last week I was looking for a new fragrance for my GF. We have dated only for a month now so I wanted her to have something I like.

Anyhow I went to Guerlain and I tried several. First thing it came to mind was "Why there is no one at the Guerlain counter and Armani or Boss is crowded".
    The answer is no flashy promotional adds or ellaborated counters. Most of the bottles looked updated and very few could appeal to the younger crowd. The SA was not even well trained on the products she was selling.

She went right away to show me the new Guerlain pour homme , I said no thank you then she pulled Vetiver and L Instant. I told her I have them both but I was looking for a woman fragrance. I sort of by passed her and reached for a bottle of Mitsouko and then Shalimar. She was totally on my nerves and trying to talking me out of those two, I felt like she DID NOT WANT ME to buy those two. I sprayed both in paper test and she moved aside to re arrange some bottles. They also had 4 or 5 Allegorias that I tried.

Shalimar and Mitsouko are very nice indeed and I can totally understand why they are such classics. I still have the two paper test and I can get some smell, really special, it makes me want to wear some myself.

I am not really into unisex or feminine fragrances but I would like to have one of those two. In your opinion which one is easier to pull off by a man. I think Shalimar but I am not sure. I would like to wear it at home or over the weekend and little by little understand more what a feminine fragrance does in a man. Once I feel confortable I will wear it more often. This will be my first woman fragrance. Thank you
    I am more inclined to amber than floral. I like vanilla also, smoky is fine .yumy... I think shalimar is the one. I have to stray it on me or get a little sample.
    The bottle is also very nice.
    Thank you all
    I have to go back to the store and check them again and make up my mind
    Umm, probably just a silly side comment, but what happened to the GF's bottle?

BTW, my favorite feminine/unisex Guerlains are Jicky and L'Heure Bleue.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 15th February 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is classified as a feminine fragrance and I find it easily wearable. Shalimar sounds like something I need to try also.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

My Mother inherited a bottle of Shalimar perfume, both my wife and me tried it and found it a classic that anyone can wear, men and women. I even tried it on a 22 year old nephew, at first he thought it was a men's scent, until I told him it belonged to his great grandmother. From this experience I would buy myself a bottle of it if it could be found here in local stores.

I like Mitsouko and own both the EDT and EDP versions. I don't like Shalimar though, because of the somewhat dirty civet note in it. I do like Shalimar Light however, and find it somewhat intoxicating.

I'd definitely say Shalimar (the EdC is the only one I've tried), however, I like Shalimar Light the best.

I have worn the Jicky and Mitsouko ostensibly bought for my wife. They both worked very well on me.
    I actually use them more than "my" Mouchoir.

I haven't tried "her" L'heure Bleue yet, maybe tomorrow as it's a holiday (no work).

I love Jicky (I own the EdT and have tried--and want to get the EdP) and just got L'Heure Bleue PdT (which I also think is terrific and wearable). Mitsouko is a wonderful fragrance, but it was both my grandmother's and mother's signature scent, so I would feel very weird wearing it. Believe it or not, I've never smelled Shalimar.

I like Shalimar extrait for its heavy animalics--civet, castoreum, musk. It is quite a leather-oriental in extrait concentration. I also have the EDP which is a bit less leathery and more vanillic.

Mitsouko, I must be in the right mood for it. I own the EDP which is very peachy and spicy. The EDT is fresher and the vetiver is a bit more prominent, but longevity is poor.

Jicky is amazing--I have the EDP, but I very much enjoy the EDT also. I think the EDT is better for day wear. I also prefer Jicky to MdM.

Vol de Nuit might be a good choice--bitter green and slightly leathery chypre. I have only tested it a couple times, but I am entranced.