Code of Conduct

Default Which fragrances are like favourite movies to you?

Sometimes when I am on my own of an evening, I will look at my fragrance collection and look for a fragrance that I am going to enjoy unfolding over the next few hours.

A great fragrance will be like a great movie, with an attention grabbing opening, the gradual evolving and opening up of the body of the story with a captivating denouement at the end.

Such fragrances to me would be something like Heritage which is an epic, taking hours to drydown to that glorious Guerlinade finale.

Same with Habit Rouge or Hammam Bouquet (which just gets better and better on the skin), both fragrances having wonderfully evocative screenplays.

Others can be things like Escada pour Homme, which has an unexpected vanilla twist to the plot right at the end which you wouldn't have expected.

What are your favourite fragrances for self indulgence on your own?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which fragrances are like favourite movies to you?

The most recent scent to do this for me was Cartier Roadster, which I tested on skin this weekend. Like a great car-chase opening scene, it was just grabbing me from the very beginning. Just when I thought things were settling down, and the mint was gone, a strong heart came in and would not let up for a moment. Hours on the edge of my seat. Then, when I thought things were over, the unexpected drydown slapped me in the face, and just got better and better. By the time it was over, I was raving to my wife and son that I would be buying the DVD on this scent for sure.

I must give Roadster another test drive...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    What are your favourite fragrances for self indulgence on your own?
    Midnight Poison Elixir. I really love the fragrance, patchouli and caramel yumminess. It's loud, brash, and all-singing, just like Connie and Carla, one of my all time favourite movies. There are no twists at all, just good old fashioned show tunes and fun.

Givenchy Gentleman.
    Makes me think about Jack Nicholson
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Armani Eau pour Homme, ADP Colonia and even Bois du Portugal remind me of the nostalgic depictions of the highly formal, self-indulgent, extremely opulent Italian aristocracy depicted in Visconti 's films.

Patou PH, PDN New York, Ungaro I, TDC Rose Poivree, Profumum Fumidus & Olibanum, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Gris clair, Tauers Lonestar memories & L'Air du Desert marocain & Aramis Havana....these are the few that comes to mind instantly, without second thoughts.

Paul Smith Story
    Last edited by cmax; 16th February 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    ....A great fragrance will be like a great movie, with an attention grabbing opening, the gradual evolving and opening up of the body of the story with a captivating denouement at the end....
    Le Labo Patchouli 24. That's what comes to mind.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Creed Vintage Tabarome...like my favorite films, I never cease to enjoy it.

Perfumes are like opulent period costume movies. Lavish, luxe and sensual. They take us out of the ordinary day and transport us into the drawing room of interesting people, or the boudoir of a seductive and intelligent adventuress or man-about-town.

See the opening credits for the 1980s film, "Dangerous Liaisons," with John Malkovich and Glenn Close two minutes in which the camera seduces us with the respective toilettes of the seductive Vicomte de Valmont, and his former mistress, the widowed and scheming Marquise de Mertieul. All satin, velvet, perfume and powdered wigs... Oh, those clothes...!

Makes me want to reach for a bottle of 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Eau Frivole