Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Hermes: Eau de Pamplemousse Rose and Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Two new 'cologne' style fragrances from Hermes coming out in May.

'...House perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena has conjured Eau de Pamplemousse Rose, a sparkling grapefruit scented juice tinted with rose, and Eau de Gentiane Blanche, which features notes of white musk and gentian...'

Bottles are 100 and 200 ml and are Eau de Toilette formulas.

Exciting!

Thanks to NowSmellThis for the info and pictures.

Blog Entries

Question Re: New Hermes: Eau de Pamplemousse Rose and Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Mike: Oh, man these are colognes. Not good. But, then again this is J.C. Ellena so maybe they have staying power. I wish they would adopt a new better looking bottle.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 17th February 2009 at 02:42 AM.

Default Re: New Hermes: Eau de Pamplemousse Rose and Eau de Gentiane Blanche

The white musk sounds promising. However, I have no idea what gentian smells like. Can anyone comment on that note?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Unhappy Re: New Hermes: Eau de Pamplemousse Rose and Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I wish they would adopt a new better looking bottle.
    I actually like the bottles; vaguely androgynous, simple, solid, and they don't take up much space.

It's the caps that drive me NUTS. My CD'OV lid doesn't click into place but rather lazily rests on top of the spray nozzle, like a fat middle-schooler suffocating a second-grader out of his lunch money at recess.

AND it doesn't stay on.

Blog Entries

Damn the rules.

There is a God.

They might end up smelling like the Jardins continuation...hopefully not.
    At least the Jardins last longer!

Thanks mike,

I have a real fondness for JCE's work and look forward to testing these new colognes. Exciting indeed!

I'm intrigued by everything Hermes does, that's not saying I like everything they do, but it's always fascinating to follow Ellena's work.
    BTW, I love the Hermes bottles, simple, uniform and classic.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th February 2009 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The white musk sounds promising. However, I have no idea what gentian smells like. Can anyone comment on that note?
    Gentian is a little blue spring flower & grows mainly on the Alps, I love how simple & fragile it does smell with a green powdery hint, sweet & bitter somthing like laundry -the mix of fabric softner-bleach-foam- with a fresh midicnal hint, as far as my nose remember.
    well, there was a seosanal fragrance from Aqua Allegoria line '2001' by Guerlain it was called "Gentiana" & CLARINS has a face tonic for oily skin extracted from gentain, so you can sniff those two, to get a hint of Gentain.

I am looking forward to Eau de Gentiane Blanche, I feel it would have a calming & cooling character ... just what I need under the harsh sun here in summer.
    Last edited by tariq; 17th February 2009 at 08:46 AM.

New Hermes! Thanks for passing along the news mike.

HOWEVER... maybe i'm just paranoid but is anyone else frightened with the word "repackaged"?

I'll be grabbing a bottle of the current EdOV soon instead of the Eau Savuage I was planning on.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 17th February 2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: phone post typo fix

Ok thats it. What is up with this woman making new scents every single week?

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    Ok thats it. What is up with this woman making new scents every single week?
    ummmm....u do know that Jean-Claude is a man?!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    ummmm....u do know that Jean-Claude is a man?!
    Yes... Of course I knew that! Um... I was just referring to his ability to make amazing fragrances with such care that it was like a "mother" taking care of her children.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    New Hermes! Thanks for passing along the news mike.

HOWEVER... maybe i'm just paranoid but is anyone else frightened with the word "repackaged"?

I'll be grabbing a bottle of the current EdOV soon instead of the Eau Savuage I was planning on.
    You're welcome - the 'repackaging' scares me too. I will immediately smell it, when it's released. My gut instinct is telling me that Hermes won't screw with this classic.

Aren't gentian roots used to flavor liqueurs? I wonder which part of the plant they're referring to here.

I'm curious about the rose-grapefruit one - I like grapefruit; I like rose. I wonder if I'll like them together though, or whether I'll have the negative reaction I had with frankincense-rose in Incense Rose.

Now the colognes line of Hermes is extended to feminine side.
    Good news from marketologists to ladies
    I rather stay cold to this particular news and will wait for something masculine & dense.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Aren't gentian roots used to flavor liqueurs? I wonder which part of the plant they're referring to here.
    I think gentian is used liberally in Angostura bitters.

I was kind of excited for a minute until I saw the new bottle for Eau D'Orange Verte. Please tell me this is a joke. The current bottle of EDOV is one of my all time favorite bottles. It has such a simple perfection about it. I don't like the new look at all. Even though the changes seem to be subtle, it's not really an improvement. Why do they have to mess with this one?
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 17th February 2009 at 09:34 AM.

Since I've own nearly everything else with the Hermes name on it, I can expect to buy these also.

Can someone post or link to the new EdOV bottle? For all of you who may freak out, don't forget there are many, many bottles available at discounters and on eBay.

Basenotes Institution

Well bbBD the pics I posted above are what the press release showed.

I'm confused - because to me, it looks just like the current bottle. So, if Hermes (or Now Smell This) is saying that the EdOV is 'repackaged' maybe they mean something besides the bottle is changing. Slightly confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'm curious about the rose-grapefruit one - I like grapefruit; I like rose. I wonder if I'll like them together though, or whether I'll have the negative reaction I had with frankincense-rose in Incense Rose.

I think that's more likely to be Pink Grapefruit rather than Rose the flower.

Rose is the french word for pink.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Exciting news! I think by repackaging perhaps they just mean the labeling and not to split hairs but the new bottle (maybe I'm just trying to see this difference) seems like it has slightly sharper edges as the top slopes down, and the cap is definitely different, with a longer, higher reaching neck.

I am really looking forward to JC's new colognes. Vanille Galante may be bottle worthy, but it is very pricey, so hopefully these will be a lot more affordable.

I wonder if there will also be a coffret featuring all three fragrances released at the same time? Now that would be interesting!

I wasn't thrilled with Vanille Galante...but it's always exciting to smell a new Hermes release. Looking forward to the grapefruit...i have no idea what gentiane smells like either.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Mike: Oh, man these are colognes. Not good. But, then again this is J.C. Ellena so maybe they have staying power. I wish they would adopt a new better looking bottle.
    The bottles are supposed to evoke the lanterns on the carriage that is in the Hermes logo.
    Sometimes one finds an antique vial which remembers,
    Whence gushes forth a living soul returned to life

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    ...the new bottle (maybe I'm just trying to see this difference) seems like it has slightly sharper edges as the top slopes down, and the cap is definitely different, with a longer, higher reaching neck.
    I think I see what you mean nthny.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone smelled these yet - I know they're not released til next month but I was wondering if any boutiques in Europe (or US) have testers in the store?

are they boutique exclusive only or will be available in departemnt stores as well???

Another edc with a bit of rose is always welcome. I'm officially eager and optimistic about EdPR. Thanks for the word, Mike.