Code of Conduct

Default Listening to my fellow basenoters (my recent fragrances sniffing)

Okay so yesterday had a change to get out and do a little sniffing and I wanted to sniff things based on what my fellow basenoters have been telling me and this is what I sniffed an my impressions.

1)Versace Pour Homme-basenoters say it is a different aquatic-ahhahahaha that is funny I guess it has a peppery/spicy note in it that seperates it from the typical Aqua fragances but I don't think it is enough to tell a difference. Still could be a potential buy but I don't know if I can justify the price for an almost typical aquatic.

2)Givency Pi Neo-as I have been looking for a fresh alternative to Hypnose, Le Male, and Pi this one has been mentioned and is on my radar. Okay you guys got this one right it is a fresh vanilla scent. I almost want to call it a Citrus Vanilla Musk. Nice. Very Nice.

3)Givency Pi Fraiche-basically a lighter version of Givency Pi. Nice. Very Nice.

4)Blvgari Aqva Pour Homme-see Versace Pour Homme above.

5)Adidas Victory League-Again the basenoters got this one right. It is an alternative to the Hypnose's of the world's and wearable in the summer add in the $9.99 price tag and you have a winner nice. Very Nice.

6)Joop Jump-basenoters got this one right. Le Male light. Nice very nice.

7)Marc Jacobs-coconut not bad but don't know if I could wear it.

Basically this trip just proved to me what I know all along I just am not a fan of Aquatics.......I love sweet/woody frags and am looking for one for the summer and might have found one in Pi Neo, Pi Fraiche Victory League, and Joop Jump.

Default Re: Listening to my fellow basenoters (my recent fragrances sniffing)

I'm still amazed. When I first posted about buying a $5 bottle of Victory League, I thought both the thread and Victory League would disappear into oblivion here.

But it seems to have become an el cheapo hit of sorts. While okay, I still find it a bit too linear, I wish it would change a bit. But what you spray on is pretty much immutable for the rest of the day, which might be tiresome for some.

I'm somewhat unthrilled with Versace Homme and Bvlgari Aqua too.
    Renato

To me Versace Pour Homme, is VERY different from the typical aquatics, it lacks any sort of sweetness to my nose, and I think it may be the Oudh that adds a very unusual woody note to it. With that being said, I'm not sure I really like it, I know I like it a lot better once it hits the drydown. Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme also smells quite different from the normal designer aquatics, again IMO. I really can't describe the notes that make it different, but to me it smells "deep", I imagine other aquatics as being sort of breezy, the smell of the air at the shorline, while Bulgari Aqua smells like you are in the middle of the ocean, it is spicier than other aquatics, again I'm not sure I like it enought to own it, but I certainly find both of the above scents to be different from what else is out there.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 17th February 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Versace Pour Homme and Bugari Aqua Pour Homme have some substance to them. I almost see Versace Pour Homme as a fresh woody oriental not an aquatic. The color of the juice and the first blast you get when applied may fool many people. You have to wear this one fully, and all day wearings, to get what it is about IMO.

Versace Pour Homme does what most of scents on the Macy's counter do (freshness with a catchy opening), but it does it in a new way; simplified with a touch of sophistication. Masterpiece? No
    Elegant, minimal take on the fresh woody category? You bet.

Bulgari Aqua PH lasts forever and also has a hint of elegance and depth to it, that sets it apart from the other aquatics.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 17th February 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Versace Pour Homme and Bugari Aqua Pour Homme have some substance to them. I almost see Versace Pour Homme as a fresh woody oriental not an aquatic. The color of the juice and the first blast you get when applied may fool many people. You have to wear this one fully, and all day wearings, to get what it is about IMO.

Versace Pour Homme does what most of scents on the Macy's counter do (freshness with a catchy opening), but it does it in a new way; simplified with a touch of sophistication. Masterpiece? No
    Elegant, minimal take on the fresh woody category? You bet.

Bulgari Aqua PH lasts forever and also has a hint of elegance and depth to it, that sets it apart from the other aquatics.
    Thanks for explaining it JWS. The two are two of my faves and are definitely not typical. I always hated when I read this but I think people need to wear both to see how it settles on skin because the initial blasts are deceiving. I don't see anything similar in Versace PH and Bulgari Aqua. Out of that list, the 2 best.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th February 2009 at 06:53 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Interesting how I, who likes numerous aquatics (except for ADG), and the original poster are in two minds about the Versace and Bvlgari ones, and the other two responders think they're great.

It makes me wonder if I'm insensitive to some specific aquatic notes that are grabbing others.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Interesting how I, who likes numerous aquatics (except for ADG), and the original poster are in two minds about the Versace and Bvlgari ones, and the other two responders think they're great.

It makes me wonder if I'm insensitive to some specific aquatic notes that are grabbing others.
    Renato
    Renato, maybe it takes more than one full wearing of Versace pour Homme to come to terms with the subtle nuances. The notes that dominate the heart are not aquatic; more like soft woods and neroli? I'm still deciding on VpH but I found there's more to it than most initially see, and the mrs loves it!

I found that the cedar in VL becomes more and more prominent, so on me it's not as linear as some others I have. Still, the key to this frag is the dynamism of the notes. Who would think that grass and vanilla could work together so well, along with the other notes? It's that "fresh" smell combining with a syrupy, slightly spicy vanilla that I find so unique and pleasing.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th February 2009 at 03:50 AM.