Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What is it about galbanum....

I think that some of the mystique about galbanum is because it takes us deep into the dark places of nature, the damp and shadowy forests. It heightens the senses with its bitter edge but, once we become accustomed to it, the soothing comfort sets in.

Bel Respiro is a tame approach to galbanum. It approaches the darkness but, unlike others, I feel that sweet contradiction works its way into the overall effect. Cristalle unabashedly sweetened the mix, and it was perfect when I was in my college years so many moons ago.

Ditto to everything you said, Merbert. One of galbanum's strongest facets for me is that it represents refreshment without the contemporary cliches of minty/citrusy/aquatic. It's like a window into the ancient definitions of being purified, re-sanctified, re-vivified.

Blog Entries

You all really must go to the E Lauder counter & try Azuree. For a really wild ride, I double-dog dare you to try Aliage. It's weird but wonderful, like something from the Hobbit Cave.

[QUOTE=Jardanel;1438000
    Coincidentally, they are among my most-worn in rainy, cold weather. Especially rain like today's in my part of the world: cold thunderstorms, alternating between drenching downpours and hail and then partly sunny skies with towering cloud masses sailing through. Odd how I seem to physically crave the austere green exclamation point of this note in the turbulence of stormy wet weather.

I don't regularly wear Chanel 19 anymore, but I did go through a few bottles in the past and loved it.

J.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Yes, Yes !!! I too went through a Chanel 19 phase (er, obsession) during a late winter/Spring season. There is something about cool, damp weather that makes this scent come alive for me. And conversely, I can't wear it in warm weather. At all. It absolutely curdles on me then. But ohhh, in cool weather, outdoors, and in the office, this scent sparkles for me.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Hillaire

When I think of that Incredible Galbanum hit, I think of Safari every time!
    Also Shiseido original Zen has a powerful dose ala Silences.

I agree on No.19 in cooler weather--works much better for me in the California winter (which is like spring or fall to most other places)

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I like it.
    Alone, it smells like crushing fresh deciduous leaves in your hand til you see the chlorophyll.
    But it combines well with almost everything, same way a plain green leaf does.
    Anyone who likes Galbanum should try/own something here:

This range is the highest ratio of Galbanum I've smelled yet.
    Yesss!
    One serious Eau De Campagne lover here too!
    Did anyone mention yet that it was created by Ellena? Year 1974 if I remember correctly...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    It smells primeval but imparts the most civilized elegance.
    Beautiful observation about so much that is perfumery.

Hugging you, Jardanel, for starting and feeding this thread. You've done me--and all of us--a favor by focusing on a note that's fallen to the periphery of my consciousness. And as a lover of green scents, that's just dumb of me.

Particularly enjoyed your Miss Dior-courage story and appreciate the dramatic imagery (and sniffagery?) it inspired.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thank you, Quarry! I'm just grateful to have this place, where we can speak our language among friends.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 25th March 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    My favourite green note! I learned to love it in Yohji Yamamoto Yohji.
    I already loved galbanum by the time I discovered Yohji, but Yohji and Must de Cartier were revolutionary uses of galbanum with Oriental base notes, and made me look at it in a whole new way.

I tried Balmain IVOIRE recently and really fell hard for it. What a beautiful composition!

How many of you have tried the foresty-green RAINFOREST by Ayala Moriel? It features galbanum.

I also notice that galbanum is the first listed ingredient in GREY FLANNEL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I already loved galbanum by the time I discovered Yohji, but Yohji and Must de Cartier were revolutionary uses of galbanum with Oriental base notes, and made me look at it in a whole new way.
    I love Must, too, and that "green opening - ambery vanilla drydown" combo is pure dynamite!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I love Must, too, and that "green opening - ambery vanilla drydown" combo is pure dynamite!
    Yes - and I don't wear them often enough! I'm rationing my Yohji, since I wore it recently and one can't get it anymore, but I think I'll wear Must today.