Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bottles you want but can't justify purchasing

It's not just a 'wishlist' I'm getting at. Rather, it's those fragrances that you know you'll only wear once in a while, thus even if you can afford them you balk when it comes time to hit the button.

For example:

Profumum Dulcis et Fundo: I love this fragrance (apricot/vanilla/amber), but it's so bright and so strong - 2 sprays = 24 hours - that I know I'll rarely wear it. I can't then drop for a FB. Same thing with Profumum Volo AZ 686

Hermes Concentre d'Orange Vert - not at all pricey, but I already have the EdC strength, and I already have many other citrus fragrances. I'd love to have this on my shelf, but I just don't see the need....

Lubin Le Vetiver/Givenchy Vetyver/SMN Vetiver - I know there are those who want every vetiver available, and I totally understand because I'm the same way with leather fragrances. However, for me - I have Guerlain Vetiver and now Floris Vetiver, as well of decants of Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycomore, and Querelle. I don't feel like I can justify more vetiver purchasing.

Etro Heliotrope - I love heliotrope and I love gourmands, and this fragrance is both. Beautiful, but this one fits into the category of "I like to smell it but will I ever wear it?" I bought SMN Eliotropio, which is quite different. While it's nice I never find myself wearing it.

How bout y'all?

Default Re: Bottles you want but can't justify purchasing

I've been holding off on Amouage Arcus and Cirrus for quite a while now. I think the scents themselves are great, but I know some find them generic-smelling, as they are aquatic/ozonics. The fact that they are discontinued is the last nail in the coffin. I don't need to get addicted to any more unobtainable things! I'd also like a bottle of Reflection, but damn, that stuff is pretty expensive for a 50ml.

Creeds Acier Aluminium and Chevrefeuille Original are both very beautiful creations, and I may very well end up owning them down the line. But they are pretty exotic scents. I doubt they'd get worn very often. Then again, I keep my bottles of BdP, Royal Delight, Daim Blond, T42, and Chergui - and they don't get a whole lot of play either. Too specialized for my seemingly unfabulous lifestyle. I'll probably commit to a bottle of Virgin Island Water if I know I've got a tropical vacation coming.

A bottle of Fou d'Absinthe would be nice, to compliment my T42, but I need to test it a bit more extensively and compare it to some other absinthe scents before I go jumping on this scent because it's cool.

If I start going up to my lake property on a regular basis, I'll most likely invest in a bottle of Patchouli 24, but for now, my Cypres Musc pays the bills when it comes to outdoor action.

Montale Steam Aoud. Is this just another novelty exotic that I'm tricking myself into liking, because it reminds me of going to an old museum and looking at the gigantic steam engines? The eucalyptus steam room at my gym? Would I wear this? Why? Sure is a neat smell for someone to have concocted, though!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Blog Entries

Montale Red Aoud. Its the only Montale from the Aoud series that I find interesting. But too "foody" for me to want to wear it too often.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

At this point, there are two main offenders for me. They would be Castile which I think smells amazing, but I just don't know if I would wear it enough to justify the purchase. The other one being a whopper, which is Straight to Heaven. I would freaking love to own STH, but when I had the opportunity I talked myself off the cliff's edge. The price was the real deal breaker here. Hopefully when the travel sizes come out, I can make the purchase then.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 18th February 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Encre Noire EDP
    Profumum Victrix

Well, my post sure as hell backfired!

I'm getting a few not-so-unwelcome solicitations via PM

I wonder if they could just deposit my financial aid check into my paypal account...
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Here recently, Green Irish Tweed. I want it, I like it, but I just don't know if I would wear it that often. Acqua di Parma Colonia is another one, but longevity has me skeptical. Haven't been able to pull the trigger on a full bottle.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

SL Chergui and Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire. Both because of the price, and the former also because I already got two great gourmandy winter scents last december...

all the scents by...

Boss, Calvin Klien, Davidoff, Jill Sander, Kenzo, Dior, Versace + many more...

Well, bbBd, I hope you're freakin' happy - Silverbullet and I are splitting a bottle of Acier Aluminium!

BDP Creed.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have a mini of Geir and think that is the most I feel I can justify.

Creed Baie de Geneivre (sp?) comes to to mind also. Only in a 1 oz bottle or less.

Several Montales come to mind, but I am sorting that out. No final conclusions there.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Something along the M.Micallef line.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Well, bbBd, I hope you're freakin' happy - Silverbullet and I are splitting a bottle of Acier Aluminium!
    I guess you're not interested in trading for my 95% full 2.5 oz bottle of AA then

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

LOL congrats scentronic and silverbullet.... BN threads bringing bottle purchases together! Simon - don't you hate when that happens. I once had a bottle of CdG2 for sale, and I must have watched 5 people buy bottles before someone bought mine.

Blog Entries

CB I Hate Perfume's Cradle of Light. I can't even bring myself to shell out for a sample.

Oh, never mind. I can read, really...
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 18th February 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Another popped into my mind. Sables. I could see myself wearing this maybe twice a year at most.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Any fragrance i want but can't justify getting a full bottle, I DECANT!!!

usually 5, 8, and 15 ml decants are more affordable alternatives.

I with I discovered decanting before I bought my full bottle of Diam Blond, absolutely LOVE the scent, but I don't find myself wearing it too often.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Bois de Copaiba by Parfumerie Generale

Carnation by Mona di Orio

Burberry's for Men by Burberry (the long discontinued 1981 original)

Patou pour Homme by Jean Patou (discontinued)

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez (also discontinued)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th February 2009 at 07:48 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Guerlain's Derby.

[I don't think it's even a question that anyone is buying decants, if possible, of bottles they can't buy. I've got a few hundred myself, though decants aren't always available.]

I forgot others: Prada No.7 Violet, Lolita Lempica & Body Kouros, and Floris Cefiro (how many citruses do I need?)

Profumum Patchouly. A favorite of mine but I already own a few outstanding patchouli-centric scents.

Blog Entries

1 liter Bee Bottle of Guerlain Mitsouko EDP.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I just don't know how often I would wear it and whether it's worth the large price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Simon - don't you hate when that happens. I once had a bottle of CdG2 for sale, and I must have watched 5 people buy bottles before someone bought mine.
    I've been trying to find an appreciative owner for my bottle of Acier Aluminum for months.

Seems I keep missing by minutes

AA is definitely one that I would have mentioned as being a fragrance I can't justify purchasing, if I already didn't buy it blind a year ago. While I really appreciate it, I just can't wear it.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Simon - Sending PM. We haven't purchased anything yet!

For myself, at this moment, it is Mugler Cologne . I have a few samples and sniffing them is wonderful. Just a puts me in a pleasant and happy mood. To me, the opposite of Hermes Rocabar, which puts me in a sad mood ( but I do like the scent overall). I also like the look of the bottle and add the fact that you can buy refills and choose whether you want to spray or splash. Now that is old school and cool.

My only issue is that Mugler Cologne is short lived and fleeting. I can still smell its subtleness a couple of hours later, but I do not think that is good enough ( as a SotD). I do not think I would wear this because I like to enjoy getting wiffs and sniffing my arm during the day. And I don't want to over apply to get that effect as to bother other people around me ( and being labelled "the cologne guy").

Who knows though, I can always get this after I graduate and am more comfortable. For now, I will ponder it. Hey, my plans on what bottles I can possibly justify change every 2 weeks.

Indult Isvaraya. It's the only Indult I don't have, and I'd love to complete the collection, but I just can's see wearing it more than once or twice a year. Still..having a complete collection is so satisfying!
    By Killian Liaisons Dangereuses...so expensive, and again, not something I'd wear often enough to justify, but what a glorious presentation. I lust for this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    [I don't think it's even a question that anyone is buying decants, if possible, of bottles they can't buy. I've got a few hundred myself, though decants aren't always available.]
    ?)
    I guess I misunderstand then. For me, when I want a scent, even though I know I won't use it too often, and I can't justify buying a full bottle, I buy a decant of the frag. instead (when available).

I guess the subject is when there's no decant available, even though you love the scent, you can't bring yourself to buy a bottle?

Musc Rav

Black Orchid
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!