Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which Amber is your "Nose Candy" ?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • HdP - Ambre 114

2 10.00%
  • SL - Ambre Sultan

7 35.00%
  • MPG - Ambre Precieux

5 25.00%
  • L'A - Ambre Extreme

0 0%
  • Some Other Amber ?

6 30.00%

Wink HdP Ambre 114 kicks SL Ambre Sultan's ass to the kerb ? ! ? ...

.....Care to debate / discuss / agree / disagree ? ... This may be Sacrilegeous to some of you ? ... But I believe I've found the Amber that "kick's SL Ambre Sultan's ass to the kerb" ! ..... The Glorious HdP Ambre 114 ... "It's THE Perfect Amber ! (to my nose!)
    (Then again, I may just have to keep poor AS in a corner somewhere, desperately sparring for my renewed attention ! )

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

Default Re: HdP Ambre 114 kicks SL Ambre Sultan's ass to the kerb ? ! ? ...

Histoire Ambre 114 is my favorite amber fragrance, though I think it's different enough from Ambre Sultan such that there isn't much overlap. 114 is much smoother, more subtle. AS is very sweet, rich and loud. Very different. 114 is closer to MPG's Ambre Precieux.

I wish I could afford 114, it's seems like an awful lot to pay for an amber, but regardless it's very good stuff.

Wink HdP Ambre 114 Kicks SL Ambre Sultan's Ass to the kerb ? ! ? ...

.....Care to Debate ? Discuss , Agree or Disagree ? ...

This may be Sacrilegeous to some of you ... But I believe I've found the Amber that "kick's SL Ambre Sultan's ass to the kerb" ! ..... The Glorious HdP Ambre 114 ... THE Perfect Amber ! (to my nose).

(Then again, I may just have to keep poor ASultan, with his tail between his legs in some dark corner somewhere. Yet still desperately sparring for my renewed attention ! )

Default Re: HdP Ambre 114 Kicks SL Ambre Sultan's Ass to the kerb ? ! ? ...

yes

Sorry AS fans.

There's no need to target Ambre Sultan specifically. I dont consider Ambre Sultan to be an amber powerhouse, infact its amber note is one of weaker ones around. MPG Ambre Precieux gets my vote.
    -

Aha! Galamb_Borong , so very glad you agree ! ... To me nothing has even come close ! And I love the way it smells "Antique" . Just makes me swoon every time !

There's no need to target Ambre Sultan specifically. I dont consider Ambre Sultan to be an amber powerhouse, infact its amber note is one of weaker ones around. MPG Ambre Precieux gets my vote.
    I'm not "targeting" AS , the reason I mentioned that one specifically, is because that is the one that's being replaced in my wardrobe. Also because when I asked everyone's opinon, some time back, on their favourite Ambers (just before purchasing mine) - AS was by far the one that most got recommended to me.

Ambre 114 does smell like a superior version of Ambre Sultan to my nose. Smoother, drier and all-round more pleasing to my nose.

That being said... my favorite amber is PdE's Ambre Russe. It's Ambre 114's opposite - sweet, luscious, complex, "dirty" and animalic, compared to Ambre 114's herbal amber cleanness.

I've only test AS and AP, love both of them. Though I love the density and thickness in AS, AP seems to be easier to wear and lasts much longer, 12hrs+ with 1 spray on each wrist.

I'm really eager to try the two others. Just order my sample from HdP's website. :P
    Last edited by cusut; 19th February 2009 at 04:55 AM.

ambre fetische by ANNICK GOUTAL is the best amber I've tried.

My amber GOTO was Ambre Sultan, it is now Ambre Precieux.

Quote Originally Posted by whiffter View Post
    ...Then again, I may just have to keep poor ASultan, with his tail between his legs in some dark corner somewhere. Yet still desperately sparring for my renewed attention ! )
    Excuse a simple question: I know all the other perfumes, so can guess those houses, but who is HdP?
    And Ambre Sultan is a she for quite a few peeps.
    Last edited by narcus; 19th February 2009 at 06:43 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Sorry, I prefer not to choose the nose candy.
    I`ll keep SL for the aromatic twist in start, and MPG for the sweetness and round feelings, and AG for caressing feeling.
    I even keep my almost-no-name amber organic scent made in Israel (cheap and cheerful).

I only would not make any efforts to extend my amber family.
    Like, I don`t care about Ambre Extreme (L`A), Ambre 114 Histoire de Parfums and others...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Default Re: HdP Ambre 114 kicks SL Ambre Sultan's ass to the kerb ? ! ? ...

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    114 is closer to MPG's Ambre Precieux.
    I wish I could afford 114, it's seems like an awful lot to pay for an amber, but regardless it's very good stuff.
    Yes it is dreadfully pricey, isn't it. But damn well worth it, I think. It lasts forever on my skin, well into the next day. I have been wanting to sample MPG's APrecieux desperately, but the supplier for MPG fragrances here in UK, has been having trouble obtaining it. So I have, unfortunately, still not had the pleasure. (I believe MPG themselves are having some trouble of their own).
    I have been hoping to find a very generous (UK?) BN'r who will be so kind to gift me a tiny bit, but alas to no avail (as of yet, I still live in hope). I have been told many a time that it is the definitive amber fragrance. But now that you have mentioned they are quite close, it's probably not worthy of me having both. (ASultan I still think is different enough to still have it along A114.)

Whiffter, if I could help you with a sample of Ambre Precieux I would. I hope the reports of MPG troubles don't mean this fragrance is no longer available. I'd have to find myself a bottle.

Without getting into which is better, another couple amber that should be on people's radars are:

Goutal Ambre Fetiche - quite amazing. I had the opportunity to try the parfum, which is out of this world (and also very expensive).

Farmacia SS Anunziata Ambra Nera - also a parfum, very rich and unbelievably long lasting

Micallef Note Ambre - I have a sample of this on the way and can report back

Prada No.3 Cuir Ambre - As the title suggests, there is a leather component here, but the amber component is very good as well. This one is available in the UK at Liberty.

Montale Blue Amber - I personally find this to be way to sweet, but other BNer swear by it.

Hmmm... I like Ambre 114, as it is dry and herbal. There is another from this house that reminds me of it, but I would have to check this one.

I like L'Artisan's Extreme but it is ... a bit intense and sweet. It is something I love smell but I don't think I would want to own it.

I have only tried Ambre Sultan from a wax sample. It did not impress me. I will test the liquid before I come to a final judgment.

To my nose, Ambre Sultan is a sad copy of Opium PH EdP which is the finest amber-based fragrance out there. Never heard of HdP Ambre 114 let alone smelled it before. Where is this available at?
    Last edited by manicboy; 19th February 2009 at 05:53 PM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976