Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Patou 1000..your opinion?

Mr. Turin seems to think that 1000 is an option for men. I haven't smelled it yet.
    I wonder what those of you have tried it think in this regard. Please give me your opinions.

Default Re: Patou 1000..your opinion?

I like it very much, and I agree with Mr. Turin that this is very unisex.

It smells very classy.

I would love to send you some, but my bottle is so old and when I was younger I did not know how to take care of my perfumes, that the top notes are "bruised".

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Patou 1000..your opinion?

arwen_elf: Thank you for the thought. I looked in the fragrance directory where one reviewer compared it to Mitsouko in quality. That piques my interest.

Blog Entries

It is definitely unisex. However, you would do better locating a bottle from before the Proctor Gamble days. They are still pretty easily available.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

1000 is not what I would call a lighthearted fragrance. It has a gravitas to it, something sombre in the sense of being shadowed. I think a man could wear it - not easily perhaps, but on the right person it would be drop-dead sexy, esp. in the extrait. I'd try it first on a cold rainy night to bring out the violet, iris and moss notes.

oooh, that sounds nice. You people are bad for my bank account. Gotta revisit this one now.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Blog Entries

Guess I will have to put this on my list of future aquisitions.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    ...you would do better locating a bottle from before the Proctor Gamble days. They are still pretty easily available.
    That's what I was thinking. I've smelled pre-PG Joy and new Joy and they're different. Joy EdP is fantastic - but I can't imagine many men wearing it, it's SO floral and animalic. I loved it though.

1000 sounds 'easier' to love.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th January 2009 at 10:14 PM.

I have the 1000 shower gel; it comes in that beautiful Chinese green bottle with the cinnabar cap. It is rather androgynous, the fragrance, that is, and also matronly. Turin also recommends the reformulated Arpege as a masculine - I tried it and thought it was again, matronly.
    I think Turin often gets an idea, like re-formulated women's classics as good masculines, and then over zealously, rubber stamps his concept on lousy reformulations without giving it enough thought. Why wear the miserable new version of Cabochard when, the still intact versions of Azuree and Aramis are still available?
    Sanchez has her ego more in check, so she rarely pulls those Eureka! moments that Turin is so prone to.
    FYI, he also accuses way too many fragrances of being re-makes of Yohji Homme. But that, my fellow Basenoter, is another thread.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th January 2009 at 01:38 AM.

I can imagine a man wearing 1000, but not Arpege.

Blog Entries

I like the EDP. It's a smooth aldehyde, all about osmanthus. Nicely green chypre. I don't know about the EDT. I also have the parfum. It's really lush, but probably not required to enjoy. Very under-appreciated. I was surprised when I found it, at how good it is, that I'd never heard of it. Joy is just roses. Ehh!! Been there. I agree with Ruggles on Turin's taste. All is made clear in his rant on Beyond Paradise IMO. He must be going Anosmic. Or he has stock in E. Lauder.

1000 is The Holy Grail of Jean Patou for me.
    I prefer vintage perfume of 1000 to every other Patous and even to Patou pour homme. (Masculines in Patou range are the poor relatives to Grand-feminines)
    It`s green rose chypre, with dry herbal opening, rose-osmanthus-orris heart and dark mossy sillage. Sombre indeed.
    It is similar with Mitsouko in their sweet creamy heart and mossy sillage.
    Not the same - mind you - but similar expression.

About faults: on my skin it shows some sour notes.
    Modern version is not sombre, it smells like hangover in 5mln villa, next day after champagne party. Partly fresh, partly pale and iris-like. Anyway, the shadow is gone in modern thing.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I contacted an old acquaintance who wears 1000 and considers it one of her signatures. I posed to her the question of a man wearing it. I could hear her eyebrows go up over the phone. There was a pause, and then she stated in agreement with me that the extrait (in moderation) would be devastatingly attractive on the right man. I have a picture in my mind of a Edwardian gent in a velvet-collared chesterfield-type coat, heading out into a clear cold evening on his way to a soiree. He's wearing an fragrance redolent of Parma violet. I can imagine this man or his 21st century counterpart scenting himself with 1000.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 7th January 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Sur la Plage

I tried this recently at Neimans based on the Turin recommendation. Let's just say it is nothing I ever want to test/wear again.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Great thread....1000 is kind of fascinating me!

Can anyone share any insight on the packaging?...How does one tell the difference between the old pre-Procter and Gamble and the new?

Also any opinions on the EDT, either old or new?
    I wanna say something. Im gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you dont, send it right back."

The new EDT and EDP come in boxes marked made in the UK. I found this out from SeattleLight. Today, when I called Neimann Marcus, I found out that their only made-in-Paris item is the parfum, but it might be older stock. I wrote Jean Patou to find out if the parfum will still be made in Paris, but, somehow, I'm not getting my hopes up for a reply.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 25th February 2009 at 02:08 AM.

Off-Scenter

I have no problem whatsoever wearing 1000. (See my review in the Directory.) If you're comfortable with Givenchy III or Mitsouko you'll probably be comfortable in this.

Good news. I found the box for my EDP. It was made in UK. And it still is good. Mind you, I never had any earlier version, but I still think it's gorgeous. Perhaps I will buy the parfum from Paris and the EDP from UK and compare.

I just did a side-by-side comparison of the pure parfum, which is still made in France, to the EDP, and they are both as pretty as eachother. I have never liked the EDT as much because the top notes are dry and harsh, and it takes longer for the osmanthus to come out.
    I have a jones for this stuff, so I will probably always own either of the higher concentrations, plus SeattleLight is going to send me a solid perfume. (Thank-you, thank-you. Merci.)
    Last edited by purplebird7; 27th February 2009 at 12:50 PM.