Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bought a fake Cool Water from Amazon

I recently purchase a few men's cologne on Amazon, amongst which Cool Water By Davidoff.
    After doing some research I came to the conclusion that the product was fake. What gave it off, firstly there was a misspelling on the name itself, instead of saying " DAVIDOFF", it read "DAVIDOFE". Also on the bottom, instead of saying " EAU DE TOILETTE", it said "EAU DE TOILETTIE".
    I contacted the seller and he told me that maybe it is decode and that it is 100% the same as all the others. And he said that he stood behind his product and that sometimes they are translated, which may be the reason why there were typos on the bottle. (check pic)

I went to a walmart and purchased a sample for five dollars and change, I then compared the two fragrances, and the difference between the two scent was like night and day. After 30 mins, I could not smell the fake. Also when you first spray them, they seem to have the same top notes, however on the dry down, the fake scent does not leave a trail while the cool water sample had a nice light and fresh lingering scent. So the next day I contacted the seller and returned the 4.2 OZ bottle I purchased on Amazon.

I surprised that they are counterfeiting such a cheap fragrance. I have to be really careful when making online fragrance purchases.

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Last edited by technojinn; 19th February 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Default Re: Bought a fake Cool Water: here is the story

Cool Frich Water

Post Thanks / Like

This scent is one of the most copied scents out there. You deserve the refund. There should be no misspelling whatsoever.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it does look like a fake. I happen to have a CW for sale here on BN and have a picture as well --- even the "Cool Water" on the bottle looks different:

Last edited by abc1234; 19th February 2009 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I never noticed the difference in the " Cool Water ". I also called the seller and he swears that it is authentic. I am in the process of returned the other fragrance I bought from the same purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lesson in all of this.

Next time buy from Amazon directly and not the other companies. Be sure it says Ships and sold by Amazon.com. A 4.2 oz. bottle from Amazon directly is $28.32. If that price doesn't show up then click on the other options that says Used & New and find Amazon.com from the options of sellers. I have bought from Amazon directly and not the other companies that sell on there and haven't been disappointed. Amazon themselves sells authentic brand new fragrances but the other companies I don't trust.
    Last edited by Ronin; 19th February 2009 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pesonally, I find this pretty amazing.

Amazon isn't an auction site like Ebay where we know sharks prowl - it's a legit trader and subject to all the laws of the land, and so are all it's associates.

Please consider changing the thread title (using advanced edit) to

"Bought a fake Cool Water: From Amazon!!"

When I first saw the title, I'd assumed it was going to be yet another story about some Ebay thief or slick sidewalk vendor, and almost passed it by.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Uggh, you really should alert Amazon to this. Contrary to ebay they have a reputation to lose.

If fake Green Irish Tweed is Cool Water, what is fake Cool Water? Just water ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

As has been mentioned previously, Amazon do have a reputation to protect, and it is important that a complaint is made to them in the strongest possible terms. Not only should they correct the initial error, but also compensate you for your inconvenience by offering you some form of credit. When I use Ebay, I accept that there are risks involved, but from a reputable retailer, I expect exceptional and consistent service.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW - if the seller tries to stand by his theory that the names are 'translated', hence the different spelling you can tell him why this is not true: The name 'DAVIDOFF' is trademarked as is, regardless of which language or country it's sold in. Therefore if they were to change the name they would lose trademark protection. Of course this is exactly why fake bottles have slightly different names, they would hope to argue that they aren't violating trademark. In reality anything 'confusingly similar' is a trademark violation. Companies that make fake Oakley sunglasses usually drop the 'e' to make the Oakly.

Quote Originally Posted by technojinn View Post
    I went to a walmart and purchased a sample for five dollars and change
    Tell me more about this. I didn't know WalMart sold samples of Cool Water. Do they sell samples of other designer scents?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about WalMart, but I've seen 15ml minis of many designers at CVS and Walgreens..... I assume WalMart does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I don't know about WalMart, but I've seen 15ml minis of many designers at CVS and Walgreens..... I assume WalMart does the same.
    Walmart does sell those minis but they aren't sold for "five bucks and change", more around the $12.99 range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by technojinn View Post
    I surprised that they are counterfeiting such a cheap fragrance. I have to be really careful when making online fragrance purchases.
    Well, Adidas fragrances are the most widely counterfeited. And all of them sell for $10. It takes some effort to counterfeit something, and volume is a much bigger factor than price.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it boggles my mind that people would go through the trouble of counterfeiting that. Well, I hope you used your credit card so you can roll out a chargeback

Enjoying the 2man you sent me Mudassir! Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd file a charge back if I paid with a credit card or paypal. Then I'd alert amazon. You might not win it but it's worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bought a fake Cool Water from Amazon

i will be getting my money no problem. I'll make sure to file a complaint against the seller on Amazon.

I'm glad to hear you're taking action on this. I buy from Amazon.com, but, like mentioned earlier, I only buy from Amazon itself, not the other merchants.....well maybe Scented Monkey or someone I know is reputable.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Post Thanks / Like

You should provide the seller's name so we stay away from him/her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcnair View Post
    I'm glad to hear you're taking action on this. I buy from Amazon.com, but, like mentioned earlier, I only buy from Amazon itself, not the other merchants.....well maybe Scented Monkey or someone I know is reputable.
    I will make sure to buy directly from amazon next time. The name of the seller was Fragrancevilla. They also have a website http://fragrancevilla.com/

Post Thanks / Like

That seller has 0 feedback. And after you leave them negative feedback they'll have -1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Buying from Amazon.com itself doesn't necessarily mean Amazon itself has full control over the inventory. I have bought from Amazon before where the items were shipped by one of their suppliers they had no control over.

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcnair View Post
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

If you buy an inauthentic fragrance (or anything for that matter) on eBay (and you paid with PayPal), you are fully covered by Buyer Protection. Report the transaction to eBay and you will be refunded.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/paypa...rotection.html

If you think a frag is not authentic, use your fingernail to see if you can scrape off the lettering or the paint. The authentic ones don't scrape off easily. The fakes also seem to have at least minor quality control problems, and with some bottles the seams where the bottle is joined are crude.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th February 2009 at 08:25 PM.

A google search with the seller company name + "fake" reveals some interesting results.
    It appears that quite a few people have not been happy with their purchases of various frags.

Post Thanks / Like

this is what the dude sent me:

Thank you for your email and your business,The spray bottle of Cool water for Men is Decoded perfume one you receive,,one which is available some retail store are nondecoded perfume, smell should be 100% same, it is not fake product if you are not satisfied we will take back full refund will be apply to your account, 100% customer satisfication is our guarantee. We do not open the sealed perfume to see how it look or smell,if this the case we apologize in advance.more question please email or call me I am here to help you
    Thank you very very much for your Business and Understanding
    I have to say, they do answer when you call, which orginally surprised me. I made two purchases from the same transaction. I already returned both.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    If you buy an inauthentic fragrance (or anything for that matter) on eBay (and you paid with PayPal), you are fully covered by Buyer Protection. Report the transaction to eBay and you will be refunded.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/paypa...rotection.html
    While this is technically true, its quite the hassle. Often, your bank or your credit card will get involved and then dispute who pays...the bank or PayPal. By the time you get your money back, forget it with all the stress. Try finding a contact number to call PayPal customer service.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    While this is technically true, its quite the hassle. Often, your bank or your credit card will get involved and then dispute who pays...the bank or PayPal. By the time you get your money back, forget it with all the stress. Try finding a contact number to call PayPal customer service.

TNMA
    I paid with a credit card. I talked to seller and he agreed to a full refund. If the seller does not follow through, I will then initiate a dispute of the charges with the credit card company.
    Last edited by technojinn; 20th February 2009 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post

TNMA

I don't know when you last filed a dispute of this type but you do not need to involve your credit card company, your bank or call PayPal on the phone. Filing a dispute as a buyer with PayPal is not difficult. It all takes place on line in PayPal's Resolution Center:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

If anything, many seller's claim the process is to easy for buyers!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Cool Frich Water
    I can't believe nobody commented on this. This is the funniest s*&t I've read all day. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!