Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Invasion Barbare - MDCI

Holy Moses! I asked for a sample of this with my purchase of Cuir Ottoman from luckyscent.

Bad decision...I have completely fallen in love with this incredibly beautiful fragrance.

This could be Holy Grail territory for me right here. Perfectly balanced, masculine but with a nice oriental feel on the drydown. OMG!

I am simply stunned...It is like having sex with someone you have known for a long time and wanted, but were always hoping you would never actually consumate your passion for fear of how intoxicating it would be...and when it happens, it is better than even you imagined. I had avoided Invasion Barbare until now, but alas, I have tried it, and now I am smitten and want it again and again.

Always a new fragrant discovery when you least expect it.

Have you sampled Invasion Barbare and what were your impressions?
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th February 2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: sp

Default Re: Invasion Barbare - MDCI

sounds great !! but the price...ohh the price...

btw, does it tread in the BdP/Heritage/New York domain....?
    Last edited by jenson; 19th February 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Once again you have inpired me to buy a sample.

P.S. - I have not been disappointed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    sounds great !! but the price...ohh the price...

btw, does it tread in the BdP/Heritage/New York domain....?
    This feels more contemporary than those three. It is odd that even though it is masculine, I could see a woman pulling this off possibly too. If I smell this on another person, I will be like a deer caught in headlights. It just hits my olfactory G spot.

Yes the price is prohibitive. $235 for a 60ml refill bottle.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th February 2009 at 01:08 PM.

I like the name of it, and for that price tag it better be good,,,, if it smell anything like your "sex" analogy, I want to try it.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    This feels more contemporary than those three. It is odd that even though it is masculine, I could see a woman pulling this off possibly too. If I smell this on another person, I will be like a deer caught in headlights. It just hits my olfactory G spot.

Yes the price is prohibitive. $235 for a 60ml refill bottle.

Thnx for the update!!

and sorry, i didnt notice it was available in a refill spray .. just noticed the $610 tag
    Last edited by jenson; 19th February 2009 at 01:21 PM.

A MUST TRY FOR SURE!

It was love at first sniff for me too. I can't even think of another fragrance that would be a close contender. Trying to describe it evades me. Borrowing from Lucky Scent's description: "The composition is built on the contrast of freshness and warmth, on the intriguing balance of citrus fruits, lavender, spices and vanilla and woods." I'd agree that it has a concentrated 'warmth' about it.

Around noon the other day and I had put a dab on my wrist (just for fun) before going to our lunch room. A lady nearby commented (in norwegian), "it smells so good around here" - and I'm sure she was NOT referring to warm lunch that was being served.

I tend to think its more of an "evening out" fragrance than an "office scent" - at least for my work situation.

Basenotes Institution

OMG, it sounds wonderful. The category of an oriental fern fragrance has always intrigued me. I, like you, intentionally avoided sampling the MDCI line for fear of falling in love with them. The notes (and description) sound very Serge Lutens-ish. Am I right?

I've heard the top notes (grapefruit, bergamot, violet leaves, white thyme) come on very strong. Would you agree? The dry down has also been compared to Lyric for Women (cardamom-ginger, wood) which I have not smelled yet. How lavender prominent is it?

Falling in love with a new fragrance is a magical time. Enjoy it!

I have been wearing Invasion Barbare since early 2007 when it was still called SB1, after Stéphanie Bakouche who created it. So yes, it is perfectly wearable for a woman. Together with Enlevement au Serail my favorite scent from MDCI.

Prices are high, I agree, but Parfums MDCI has a great sample program: five of their fragrances in 10 ml bottles at 55 Euros, including shipping to Europe, Canada and the USA.
    Last edited by Riannon; 19th February 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

While it is oriental somewhat, it has no syrupy, amber feel to it Mike. I get cardamom, vanilla, musk prominently in concert with the accord created by the lavender and violets also. It doesn't have a sluggish nature about it, and sits subtle but ever present. I detect a little cedar as well in the drydown.

The combination of all the notes just work right...but I do notice the cardamom and lavender a good bit.
    I am not good at reviews or picking out notes so I apologize that this is the best I can convey what I am experiencing with it. Definitely worth the experience of sampling though because it reeks of quality ingredients IMO.

Oh and yes, the opening is amazing and quite 'sit up and take notice', but it simmers down in short order and uses wonderful manners for the duration.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th February 2009 at 03:02 PM.

Yikes! I just saw the price. $610 WTF? I know its for the presentation bottle but sill. At those prices It makes the refills look cheap at $235. Are the cap/busts made of something special?

The sample program is priced very affordably however. Kinda like drug pushers, they'll try get ya hooked.

I empathize with you JWS. As yummy as some of them sound I'm going to try not to order any samples of this line. Just in case I fall victim to the same fate.
    Last edited by Futami; 19th February 2009 at 03:04 PM.

It is like having sex with someone you have known for a long time and wanted, but were always hoping you would never actually consumate your passion for fear of how intoxicating it would be...and when it happens, it is better than even you imagined.
    I'll take 2 flacons please

Uh Oh! Danger, danger!
    What an amazing thread this is, fantastic descriptions Jock_With_Scents...I'm being seduced into the world of MDCI....falling......falling....down
    Last edited by arlecchino; 19th February 2009 at 03:23 PM.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

i got one of these with my last samples......guess i have to try it now tonight!

I am heading over to Beverly Boulevard immediately--this sounds great, albeit prohibitively expensive!

JWS, this has been in my top 5 (below) since I bought my "refill" bottle about a year ago. Back then, the price was a measly $210 ( ) I use it sparingly because I can't see me spending that much money for a backup bottle. I do have to say though, it's never ... and I mean NEVER ... failed to get at least a couple compliments when I wear it. Partly because it smells fantastic, but mostly because just about every compliment comes with "that smells like nothing else out there". I consider it more of a night time scent but have worn it to work on occasion and it worked fine. Funny part about this fragrance is I like it more and more every time I wear it.

I say just bite the bullet and purchase it ... you won't regret it!

Basenotes Institution

While it is oriental somewhat, it has no syrupy, amber feel to it Mike. I get cardamom, vanilla, musk prominently in concert with the accord created by the lavender and violets also. It doesn't have a sluggish nature about it, and sits subtle but ever present. I detect a little cedar as well in the drydown.

The combination of all the notes just work right...but I do notice the cardamom and lavender a good bit.
    I am not good at reviews or picking out notes so I apologize that this is the best I can convey what I am experiencing with it. Definitely worth the experience of sampling though because it reeks of quality ingredients IMO.

Oh and yes, the opening is amazing and quite 'sit up and take notice', but it simmers down in short order and uses wonderful manners for the duration.
    I think it's refreshing when a perfumer creates an amber-less oriental. Sounds very unique.

Am I the only one that thinks the very expensive bottles look kind of kitschy/tacky? I would prefer just having the plain refill bottle myself.

I bought the sample programme in order to try Amber Topkapi by Pierre Bourdon, but Invasion Barbare unexpectedly stole the limelight.

This truly is an intoxicating sent, enveloping me with it's comforting charm. If I ever get round to having a spare $235 Imay consider purchasing this. However, my 10ml will be used sparingly for now!

I hear there will be four more MCDI releases this year. Does anyone know if any of these will be masculine fragrances?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LeeScot View Post
    I hear there will be four more MCDI releases this year. Does anyone know if any of these will be masculine fragrances?
    One of them, Peche Cardinal, is already out and it looks very feminine.

Riche Oriente isn't out yet. It's described as a 'green spicy floriental'. Sounds feminine to me.

The other two are being done by Patricia di Nicolai and they don't have names yet, although Perfume Posse spoke about one of them (galbanum, pineapple and incense prominent) that sounds feminine. Details on the fourth aren't mentioned, except that di Nicolai is the nose.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2009 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    JWS, this has been in my top 5 (below) since I bought my "refill" bottle about a year ago. Back then, the price was a measly $210 ( ) I use it sparingly because I can't see me spending that much money for a backup bottle. I do have to say though, it's never ... and I mean NEVER ... failed to get at least a couple compliments when I wear it. Partly because it smells fantastic, but mostly because just about every compliment comes with "that smells like nothing else out there". I consider it more of a night time scent but have worn it to work on occasion and it worked fine. Funny part about this fragrance is I like it more and more every time I wear it.

I say just bite the bullet and purchase it ... you won't regret it!
    Enabler!!!

I just returned from the gym, and from under my sweatshirt, Invasion Barbare was still singing a beautiful song. Ugh! I am haunted now. Must resist purchase, put blinders on and never sniff new frags again. Yeah right.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th February 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One of them, Peche Cardinal, is already out and it looks very feminine.

Riche Oriente isn't out yet. It's described as a 'green spicy floriental'. Sounds feminine to me.

The other two are being done by Patricia di Nicolai and they don't have names yet, although Perfume Posse spoke about one of them (galbanum, pineapple and incense prominent) that sounds feminine. Details on the fourth aren't mentioned, except that di Nicolai is the nose.

The one mentioned on Perfume Posse is named "Le Rivage des Syrtes". It definitely sounds pretty feminine, and doesn't sound too appealing from the notes. But we'll see.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I have fallen in love with SB1 - Invasion Barbares MDCI now - some years ago.
    (I even have got signatured perfume from Claude!!!)

For me it is lavender-cardamom fougere, (violet is not that evident and harsh like in say Narciso FM), that settles in spicy musk-oakmoss sillage. So it`s cold-n-spicy fougere.
    It is the only scent from MDCI I could sell my soul for.
    Kurkjian and Bourdon for MDCI leaves me cold, but Stephanie Bakouche made The Gem!

As for new Peche Cardinale, I imagined it like Aguilera`s hit Candyman - great sexy thing! White flowers with electric sparkles and fruit lollypops.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

It is like having sex with someone you have known for a long time and wanted, but were always hoping you would never actually consumate your passion for fear of how intoxicating it would be...and when it happens, it is better than even you imagined.
    Mmmm...

Is the 10ml x5 sampler set worth it?

Enabler!!!

I just returned from the gym, and from under my sweatshirt, Invasion Barbare was still singing a beautiful song. Ugh! I am haunted now. Must resist purchase, put blinders on and never sniff new frags again. Yeah right.

OOH OOH ... that's another thing! It has marathon longevity along the lines of Sables and Tobacco Vanille.

Oops .... Sorry

This is a really interesting and hard-to-describe scent. When I first smelled it, I described it as 'creamy lime-spice candy from outer space'.

Smells great, but a little too much like hard candy ('boiled sweets' for the Britophones among us) for me to wear...to say nothing of the outrageous price tag.

A non-vetiver-based holy grail for J_w_S? Say it ain't so?!

I have a sample that I have not yet tried, but will tonight, thanks to J_w_S's enthusiasm (often spot-on).

I wrote to MDCI and here's the reply back that I think some may want to know about:

Hello Patrapoom,

Thank you for your interest in our fragrances!

Three of the four new ones we are introducing are ready: "Péché Cardinal", PN#1 ( now "Le Rivage des Syrtes") and Riche Orient (now "Vêpres Siciliennes").
    It is easy to modify the content of our sample set should you want to try any assortment of five different scents among those currently available, that is:

For men, "Ambre Topkapi" and "Invasion Barbare",
    For women, " Promesse de l'Aube", "Rose de Siwa", " Enlèvement au Sérail", "Péché Cardinal", "Le Rivage des Syrtes" and "Vêpres Siciliennes".

PN#2, now "Un Coeur en Mai", will be ready in about a month.

I hope that this answers your questions, if not please feel welcome to contact us again.

Yours truly,

Claude Marchal

I've ordered a sample set and got such a message

As far as samples are concerned, please note that at this moment, for those who want, we offer to swap one of both of our two men's fragrances (" Ambre Topkapi" and "Invasion Barbare") with the new women's ones that we are introducing: " Péché Cardinal", or/and
    "Le Rivage des Syrtes", and/or " Vêpres Siciliennes"
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Smelled Invasion Barbare today. I am surprised that nobody said about its resemblance to Dior's Fahrenheit.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I see a kinship to Le Male maybe, but it is infinitely more refined and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Smelled Invasion Barbare today. I am surprised that nobody said about its resemblance to Dior's Fahrenheit.
    I tested this a couple of days ago and thought something similar. It's definitely not as original as I was expecting. It was okay but certainly wasn't me - nor is it worth the hefty price tag, IMHO.

Only an hour into my first sampling of this scent but wow. Just wow.

This is the kind of scent that proves that a scent doesn't need to be crazy unique to be good.

It's like a cross between Le Male and Dzing! with a hint of Fahrenheit, with a bit of grapefruit thrown in, and very very high quality. The only scent I've smelled in the last year that hit me like this was Amouage Opus II. Oddly, I hadn't smelled anything so amazing all year, and then was wowed by both of these within a few days of each other.

Falling in love with a new fragrance is a magical time. Enjoy it!
    It sure is, Mike! Falling in love with two new fragrances is even more sublime.. I'm almost worried that with all this love and excitement I'm going to spontaneously combust or something.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Odd, I just made a weird olfactory connection. It's not so much a hint of Fahrenheit that I smell in here, but a hint of Salvador Dali PH. I think it's the way the leather is working against the hints of sulfur from the grapefruit, and perhaps they share a commonality in the leather note as well.

*sniffs again* Yup, definitely a hint of Dali PH. Just a hint, mind you, but it's there.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Invasion Barbare...

I was wondering if anybody knows where I would be able to sample this? I'm assuming I could buy a decant online(not sure where would be the best for that either), but I don't know if I want to spend the money on the sample since the last few I've bought have been a little pricey for what I got....I have no idea how it smells, but I've heard a couple people say it's amazing....

Default Re: Invasion Barbare...

Two places you can get samples of Invasion Barbare: The Perfumed Court, Lucky Scent.

You could also contact MDCI directly for their sample set - I have tried it from LS but frankly the sample vials are just too small for me to get a real idea of what this one is like so I'm considering ordering from MDCI.

The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I could send you a sample if you like. PM me.

Sheglows.

i got a 1.5ml spray sample from the perfumed court, it was reasonable.

in my limited experience, ib is a very nice fougére/oriental. if you would like to sample something similarly nice (though a tad more powdery), at a third of the price, try 1725 by histoire de parfums.

Default Invasion Barbare...

Get the MDCI sample set - comes in 5 or 7 samples and Claude (very nice guy!) will apply the cost to a full bottle should you buy any of them. They're huge and will last probably 8-10 wearings. I will certainly get a bottle of IB from him once I'm out.

I don't have the URL currently where I am but google mdci or maybe another bnoter will link you to it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I wish the real fragrance was as cheap as the samples
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

this one is epic
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

I'm wearing invasion barbare today...smells awesome!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Funny, i was just reading LT's review of this last night in The Guide. He was uncharacteristically grandiose about it, calling it like “one of the three absolute best fragrances of this type on the face of the earth” or something.
    So, I was trying to remember who it was on this forum who was raving about it. I had this weird memory of this thread and someone equating the fragrance with having sex. And now here it is bumped today. Weird. I have been avoiding it due to the prohibitive price, but now I really need to order a sample.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Great scent but wish it were available in a larger size.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Great scent but wish it were available in a larger size.
    You just love huge flacons don't you?

This thread made me smile. MDCI Invasion Barbare is indeed excellent though oddly enough, I'd rather fondly describe it as 'lavender detergent'. It is still special enough for me to wear it on special occasions. Bakouche's composition doesn't lend itself to comparisons so if Turin suggested it could be the best of its type/class, it's probably because there is nothing else quite like it. I don't get the Fahrenheit association either.

Sur la Plage

It is one of the best fragrances that one can buy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    it's probably because there is nothing else quite like it.
    It's A LOT like Versace Black Jeans with dash of cardamon. Not a bad thing... I agree with the detergent association, although I thought of it as a "Barber Shop" scent...

Invasion Barbare has been one of my favorite fragrances for the past few years. Smooth, luxurious and yet so comfortable and clean. I only have great things to say about it. It's a shame the price is so high - I suppose that's why it doesn't get too much attention on these boards.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I wore this today when I met my mom. She went "is that perfume or bug spray I'm smelling?". Needless to say, I floated back to earth. I actually like the scent of bug sprays...

Thumbs down Re: Invasion Barbare - MDCI

I've really tried to like this one, but I find it rather dull and uninspired, I like L'homme Sage, Bang, or Sycomore to be in the same Masculine family, but, better, and much cheaper. the bottles with the tops are hideous.

This fragrance is top of my "must try" right now, but sampling is proving a nightmare.

With the exception of the Perfumed Court and Lucky Scent, does anybody know where you can buy/sample Invasion Barbare in the UK?

As alyways, your thoughts are appreciated.

Harrods have IB in the roja dove department.

It's killer. When my bottle runs dry, I won't hesitate to replace it.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

IB is an excellent fragrance with high quality ingredients. When I first sampled it, I was amazed! After I purchased my bottle, I realized it was too simple for my taste...lacking depth. However, It's a great fragrance for any serious collector.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

IB is one of the jewels in my fragrance crown, it is stunning the power it has on people

Good juice but not worth the outrageous price!

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I'll take 2 flacons please
    LMFAO!
    Great 1st post to the OP.

This one is on my test-list, but I am afraid I will like it. If I have the same experience as the OP my wife will probably shoot me.

Hm, I think I heard some year back or so in another thread that the sample sets are gone, is that true?
    And if they are still around, could one get a free mix of the scents, say, 3x IB, 2 x AT?
    I know it's not what they are intended for but I just plain and simply cant afford IB otherwise...
    Smellin good