Code of Conduct

Default Best at your local shopping mall store

When I go to the local shopping mall the American version of Sephora is there selling scents (as well as all that makeup). I stop there to smell around and see if there's anything this forum has reminded me to check out.

We all in some sense know this genre of store, which is geared to selling the recent and the never-failing names of designer scents. Chanel, Guerlain, and Doir can be found here, but only the very commercially sucessful or currently advertised scents. D&G, RL, Gucci, Tommy, Armani, Bahama, and a YSL maybe are also for sale. Plug in your usual roster of advertised scents and you get the idea, and you've got a store you stroll into near you with the same, usual fare.

I was thinking of making the thread title "Best at your local Sephora" but as an example of my experience, that's only an American market thing (Sephora elsewhere is better for the fragrance afficionado). And also you in your country and city probably have shops with different names but the same type of products for sale. Even here in the US what's at Sephora is really the roughly same selection at Macy's, Bloomingdales, and Lord & Taylor. Other stores too.

All that definition and qualification aside, what I want to ask is when you go to these stores, what strikes you as the best that they're selling.

When I go to the shopping mall the best at my Sephora, according to me, is Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Dior Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vetiver and the Guerlain Aqua Allegorias. YSL Kouros is there sometimes, so that for me would count as one of the best if someone were to ask me what they should smell in a trip to the shopping mall, and classic Polo green bottle is usually there sandwiched between other things that aren't all that.

So I'd say:
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste,
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Aqua Allegorias
    YSL Kouros
    Polo green bottle.

Sometimes the Cartier scents that are there impress me, and sometimes they've had M7, but generally the above is what I think of as what's superior in this market.

How about at your local store?
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Best at your local shopping mall store

Still a little confused by what type store you mean.

There is not a Sephora in Savannah. We do have an Ulta which is similar but smaller. The fact that they have Kenzos when nothing else in the area does makes those the best there.

We have B-grade dept stores of Macy*s, Belk, and Dillard's. They carry only the most likely to sell frags which around here are the trendy and newer ones. Belk does carry Boucherons and Thierry Mugler though.

Then there are the true discount spots TJMaxx/ Marshall's with their usual hit or miss deliveries that can produce an amazing find from time to time, usually in the form of a Guerlain or YSL. Perfumania has the widest selection and that makes them "the best" for an actual frag outing. They have a couple of Annick Goutals, Cartiers, and the like on a regular basis, so they aren't completely without a higher-end/quality presence.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

My wife loves looking through Sephora's makeup, so it gives me plenty of time to sample cologne. And if the store isn't too busy, the nice ladies there are happy to make a few samples for me. Favorites there for me are:
    Terre d'Hermes
    Bulgari Black
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Aramis
    Tuscany
    Lacoste Essential
    There are more, and they seem to get new ones pretty quick too which is nice.

Argogos, actually, I think you've got my store exactly right: Ulta is a good example, and so are the fragrance counters at Macy's, Belk, and Dillards.

But I really mean whatever store where anyone here goes to stroll the latest pretty commercial releases, say. Or whatever is also in the shopping mall you visit to pick up to pick up new tennis shoes. Or where ever it looks like the mass-market designer advertised market is reaching out its tentacle for you to smell. What's best there in your opinion?

That's what I mean. In a way I mean to be the person you meet at a dinner party who's taken by your fascination and stories of scents. As that person I want to try it out myself. As we're shaking hands for departure, I tell you I'm going to Sephora (insert local mass-market designer advertised tentacle store here) which you mentioned in your fragrance stories over dinner. I'm going to go next Saturday, I say, and what should I try to smell there?
    Thanks,
    --Chris

Thank goodness we have more than Sephora in my area, they are low on list of fragrance options shops. I prefer Barney's Nordstrom (Natick location), Neiman Marcus, Blue Mercury, "Main and Beauty" and some of the smaller shops; i.e. Colonial Drug. In these locations I can find Malle, Goutal, L'Artisan, SL, Guerlain, Givenchy Classics, Creed, and at Colonial true HTF treasures. Also, Barneys sells my favorite Cire Trudon Candles.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

The only stores around me that sell fragrances are Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid. They carry a very limited supply of designer fragrances and the prices are horrible. Honestly, the last time I checked, they had a few things I was interested in, but I dismissed everything because of the horrible pricing.

There is also a Bath and Body Works, but I don't really count that.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

Well, in that case, I'd have to say that Perfumania, as sad as it may sound, has the best selection by far around here. It's in a mall, so in a way, you could think of the mall as a giant department store and Perfumania as its fragrance counter.

Oddly enough, the other spots (Macy*s, Belk, and Dillard's)are pretty lame and sparse, distinguished primarily by one or two frags. Macy*s claim is Fahreheit 32, Belk's distinction is A*MEN seasonals (Perfumania carries regular A*MEN), and Dillard's has the full line of Boucherons (Perfumania has many but not all options). Ulta has the Kenzos- and there you have it. I guess I more or less restated my first response.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Well, in that case, I'd have to say that Perfumania, as sad as it may sound, has the best selection by far around here. It's in a mall, so in a way, you could think of the mall as a giant department store and Perfumania as its fragrance counter.

Oddly enough, the other spots (Macy*s, Belk, and Dillard's)are pretty lame and sparse, distinguished primarily by one or two frags. Macy*s claim is Fahreheit 32, Belk's distinction is A*MEN seasonals (Perfumania carries regular A*MEN), and Dillard's has the full line of Boucherons (Perfumania has many but not all options). Ulta has the Kenzos- and there you have it. I guess I more or less restated my first response.
    Well that's certainly cool. I wanted to ask members what they thought was best at their local shopping mall store.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Thank goodness we have more than Sephora in my area, they are low on list of fragrance options shops. I prefer Barney's Nordstrom (Natick location), Neiman Marcus, Blue Mercury, "Main and Beauty" and some of the smaller shops; i.e. Colonial Drug. In these locations I can find Malle, Goutal, L'Artisan, SL, Guerlain, Givenchy Classics, Creed, and at Colonial true HTF treasures. Also, Barneys sells my favorite Cire Trudon Candles.
    Thanks Brielle87.
    Last edited by DustB; 19th February 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Some of my faves at my local Sephora:

Kenzo Power
    Terre D'Hermes
    Burberry London
    Cartier Roadster

The stand alone counters in the mall have most of the older designer fare from houses such as YSL, Versace, Armani, D&G, JPG, Gucci, Creed, etc...

The best in 7Eleven is Axe.

The best in Siam Paragon is Serge Lutens.

The best in Central World is Creed.

The best in Emporium is ??? Well I haven't been there for nearly 2 years so I can't be sure, but it's probably Guerlain.

How boring is this? Thank God there are loads of online fragrance shops.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Sephora's?

i'd still say Dirty English....and D&G the One.

all time - Burberry london.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

i have one fav joint in mumbai which stocks lotta scents (smuggled)... their stock is quite unpredictable though...they have the armani prive, Bond no.9, Creed, Chanel, Lalique, Dior + lotta desginer stuff to choose from, including cartier, JPG, ed hardy, Jean Patou, Aramis, cachrel, narciso rodriguez, adolfo dominiguez etc...

Malls over here still stock Shiseido, YSL, Issey, Mugler, Boss, Ck, St Dupont, Van cleef & arpels, Jill sander, Kenzo, Dior, et al...
    Last edited by jenson; 19th February 2009 at 06:56 PM.

I don't have anywhere truly local that sells a great range of scents, Providing you exclude local department stores, the most common places in the UK that sell scents are Superdrug, Boots and Fragrance Shop. These all stock the usual suspects, Calvin Klein, Boss, Aramis, Polo, Sean Jean, Paco Rabannes, YSLs and if you're lucky a couple of Guerlains.

For anything more unusual you have go to House of Fraser, Selfridges, John Lewis, Harrods etc. But in London there are a few more esoteric stockists if you know where to look.

For that reason I mainly shop online these days.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 19th February 2009 at 07:26 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

The perfume-store in Oslo with the best range of products, is Esthetique at Steen & Strm department store. IMO, the best fragrances i can find here are L`Instant de Guerlain Extreme, Guerlain Vetiver, and Geir by Geir Ness..

Basenotes Institution

If I was at the malls in Miami and someone asked me what they should buy, I'd point them to:

New:

Roadster by Cartier
    Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren
    Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Old:

Aramis by Aramis
    Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes
    CK One by Calvin Klein

To name a few.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2009 at 09:52 PM.

I have recently seen Givenchy Gentleman being stocked in a number of Superdrug stores, which I consider to be a decent buy. Burberry Brit and London are staples in most High Street shops, and I would regard them as being the few I would consider worthy of purchase

Here's my opinion, based on the stores here. Since the nearest Sephora is over an hour away (however, a local store has been rumored for eons), we have to make do with these stores for our toilet-watering holes. Still, we can find some darn good scents locally. Here's my top three picks from each store:

Macy's:
    John Varvatos Vintage, Burberry London, or Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Von Maur: Bvlgari Black, Viktor & Rolf Antidote, or Mugler Cologne
    Ulta: Azzaro PH, Hugh Parsons Blue, or YSL Kouros
    Perfumania: Guerlain Vetiver, Gucci Envy, or Terre d'Hermes
    Last edited by MFfan310; 19th February 2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

My local David Jones in Melbourne Australia sells Chanel, YSL, Dior, Guerlain, & all the major designer brands. We're spoilt for choice really. Having said that I agree with your "best of" DustB with one 1 change ; I'd swap Platinum for PourMonsieur/Antaues and maybe push Vetiver for L'Instant.

Finding the niche frags in Melbourne, now that's a challenge! I only know of 2 stores within proximity i.e. < 10km radius from home...

I like Perfumania for their wide range of selection, including some "forgotten" frags that are not found in drug stores, Macy's, or Saks. However, I hate that you have to ask the SA to spray everything for you. In that regard, Sephora, despite their limited selection, is my favorite store to frequent (though I never buy anything there, just sniff ).

The most interesting frags I've seen at Sephora have been:

-M;Men: only had a tester & not the actual frag, but nice to know they once sold this unique scent
    -Terre D'Hermes
    -Tom Ford Black Orchid: though in the women's aisle, great stuff
    -Bulgari Black: not quite my type, but nice to see them carrying this unique scent
    -Zirh Ikon: one of the low key frags that didn't seem to make it to any other non-discount store

However, Saks has a much more interesting selection. I've only skimmed through 1/3 of the counter; they have tons of Guerlains including Habit Rouge and L'Instant. Not to mention the ultra rare A*Men Pure Coffee. And the Armani Prives

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

Sometimes the Cartier scents that are there impress me, and sometimes they've had M7, but generally the above is what I think of as what's superior in this market.

How about at your local store?
    --Chris
    I'm surprised the M7 is still on the shelf anywhere, I thought they pulled it off a couple of months ago
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

here in england i usually shop at boots because i have a boots card. which to those who dont know is a card which basically gives me money back. so for every pound that i spend i get 4 points. a point is worth a penny so say i spent 30 pound i would get 1.20 on my card. for someone with an aftershave obsession like me, i would need to buy around about 20 aftershaves, this is of course including other stuff i buy from boots so i would say every 4 months i get a free aftershave. at boots, the main one which is always selling and being advertised is chanel allure sport. at the chanel counter its the main one and women always ask you to smell that one, ahead of the other classic chanels. i dont know why but thats the way it is lol. also recently sean john i am king has been there alot and seems to be selling quite well. btw boots is all designer, as i am a designer type of guy...

Considering that many of the mall stores near me have some truly amazing selections, I'll only mention those I've seen at the local Sephora and Bloomingdales:

Fresh Cannabis Santal
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Michael Kors Michael for Men
    Burberry Touch for Men
    Boucheron Japur Homme

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    So I'd say:
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste,
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Aqua Allegorias

Sometimes the Cartier scents that are there impress me
    Likewise taste.
    For me, the best @ sephora:

1. Hermes D'Orange Verte Line (concentre fav)
    2. Guerlain Vetiver Line (sport fav)
    3. Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    4. Eau De Cartier Concentree
    5. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Line (Mandarine-Basilic fav)
    6. Hermes Jardin/Mousson Line (Un Jardin Sur Le Nil fav)
    7. Terre D'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    The best in 7Eleven is Axe.

The best in Siam Paragon is Serge Lutens.

The best in Central World is Creed.

The best in Emporium is ??? Well I haven't been there for nearly 2 years so I can't be sure, but it's probably Guerlain.

How boring is this? Thank God there are loads of online fragrance shops.
    Agree, except the 7-Eleven part. I'd rather buy a tub of yoghurt and sniff it.

Emporium also stocks Lutens by the way.

For Siam Paragon, I'd also add in exclusifs like Chanel's Coromandel and Hermes' Vetiver Tonka.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Agree, except the 7-Eleven part. I'd rather buy a tub of yoghurt and sniff it.

Emporium also stocks Lutens by the way.

For Siam Paragon, I'd also add in exclusifs like Chanel's Coromandel and Hermes' Vetiver Tonka.
    If I want a bottle from Serge Lutens, which shopping mall should I go to? I have been to Siam Paragon's and the SA was nice, but he was actually a JPG SA. At the time the Shishedo SA wasn't at the counter.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Blog Entries

My recs for a new male fragrance fan at Sephora:

Bulgari Black
    Guerlain Homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    Terre d'Hermes
    Concentre d'Orange Verte
    Tokyo by Kenzo
    Kenzo Power
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme
    Cartier Roadster

But I would send them across the way to Saks, too, for Bonds, Creeds, Armani Prive, etc.

I would not send them to the women's aisle right away. The idea of unisex takes a while to sink in. I might even warn them about Kenzo Power, just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    :bounce:
    I know, Karisuma, poor RP still can't figure out which one of them is better.