Code of Conduct

Default Sécrétions Magnifiques

Holy smoke.... I was reading all your reviews and it was interesting.
    Is there any other fragrance with so many negative votes? (in proportion).
    I have to admit some of your comments are amusing, brilliant and creative.
    I need to try this one!

Total votes : 34
    Negative: 22
    Neutral : 4
    Possitive: 8

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127053/reviews.html
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Sécrétions Magnifiques

That fragrance is nearly unwearable to a lot of people. But the company that makes it really makes a lot of edgy fragrances - though that one I find to be the one that takes the greatest chances.

For me, I get nauseous when I tried it - but there are a LOT of threads on this one so you can read them and decide if you'd like to get a sample and find out how it wears.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Reminds me of a party where someone threw her barf over me. Though that might have been less bad than Secretions Magnefique.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 19th February 2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

My sample will be here TODAY! It completes my ELDO sample collection. While some ELDO's are edgy, many are just simple, high-quality fragrances. Turin's description of the house 'taking traditional accords and twisting them 90 degrees' is very apt. I just bought by first bottle - Noel Au Balcon, and I hope to pick up a few more. For high-quality niche, their prices are pretty good! ($65/50ml for most)

Basenotes Plus

SM is vile but Jasmin et Cigarette and Delicious Closet Queen are divine!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

There was an article on Basenotes titled "Sniffing the good, the bad and the glandular with the fragrance critic of the New York Times" (see: http://www.basenotes.net/articles/20...dler-burr.html) with following quote:

A quick whiff is all that’s needed for the next scent. A bathroom in coach on a crowded trans-Atlantic flight to Frankfurt comes to mind. The name is Secretions Magnifique – magnificent secretions. It is the smell of body fluids. Mucus, semen and blood to be precise. It is not meant to be worn or really even purchased. It is a cultural statement by art house Etat Libre d’Orange.

It smells like a sex crime.

this fragrance is the most disgusting fragrance i've ever smelled. i can't be within a 2 mile radius of it for fear of throwing up all over myself (which would probably smell better than the fragrance)

what's next? someone wiping their butt and bottling it?
    Last edited by union1411; 19th February 2009 at 07:59 PM.

some of these reviews are straight up vulgar.

theres no way it can ACTUALLY smell like bodily fluids. Nasty, yes. Semen? Get real
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 19th February 2009 at 08:16 PM.

For those that say it can't smell like what the people in the reviews are claiming, you guys should pony up for a sample. For me, however, I will gladly stay far far away.

Again, my sample's on it's way. I've never been more curious to try a fragrance.

Many ELDO's received strongly worded reviews. I only found one of them - Putain de Palaces - to be unpleasant. For example, people were saying Vraie Blond smelled like 'champagne vomit'. It's just an aldehydic peach/floral. That's it. Nothing gross. Not a big deal. If you smelled it blind without knowing what it was or reading any reviews you'd think of it as entirely tame. What seems to happen is one person makes a vulgar analogy, it frames everyone else's reference point, and then they continue the analogy by spinning it to suit their own sense of humor. Same thing happened with MKK reviews, which but for a few fleeting strong topnotes is a fairly tame fragrance.

As a general matter it would be nice to avoid yet another thread of vulgarities, but I don't see that happening.

Can't wait for my sample to see what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

Can't wait for my sample
    i will pray for you

keep a bucket handy nearby

When people smell like that (SM) they wash!

When you do finally try it, make sure you try it on paper in the first instance.

If you want to test it on your skin, make sure you have some scouring bathroom cleaner available. The soap in men's rooms is inadequate to get it off.
    Renato

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    theres no way it can ACTUALLY smell like bodily fluids. Nasty, yes. Semen? Get real
    No, it doesn't.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: mine smells better.

I like most of ELDO's fragrances - some are off the wall, and they are at the heart they are solid constructions, but the accords are a bit off or unusual.

I like Elegy for the Traitor and Jasmine and Cigarettes (sorry about the translations, but I remember the English words for the French). Not crazy about Incense and Bubblegum, but it is interesting. But all of them are interesting, and can be wearable, but you have to be fairly confident.

Except SM. My reaction to SM was nausea. And scrubbing. They really do use a note in there that turns my stomach, and once scrubbed the base note left on the skin is the thing that gets to me so it's really that bad. Luca Turin called it a "bilge note" and named the chemical used - which is noted for the smell of sewage-like things, so this isn't a case of suggestion. It really is there. And like many scents there will be people more and less sensitive to it. Not wanting to go out and mix real secretions and compare it to the scent, I won't vouch for "accuracy" but I will vouch for "Yuck."

So ... really ... get a sample, and post your comments.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

SM is said (by the promos) to have all these sexy, bodily conotations. To me it smells like a bowl where you've whipped eggs and washed with hot water and no soap. What's sexy in that?
    In fact I have found a household cleaning product that possibly has a taken a cue from SM. It is one of those things you stick in the toilet bowl and it perfumes the water as you flush. It's a fancy one, by Allesi design group and looks like a geometrical surfer on a surf board, quite funky and fun. Well this toilet perfuming "thing" oozes with an ozonic note very close to SM.
    Put the badly washed egg and the ozonic note together. That's SM. Sexy?

Sample did not arrive yesterday. Hopefully today.

Can't wait

Can't wait
    yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    yes you can
    or you should....
    don't plan anything social for a good 3 hours after applying....
    Seriously, the rest of the line is very interesting, and even if SM is just a statement, not a scent, it is welcome

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    SM is vile but Jasmin et Cigarette and Delicious Closet Queen are divine!
    Jasmin et Cigarette is nice, but I detect heaps of jasmin but no cigarettes. Do you detect any cigarettes in it?
    Renato

To my nose Jasmine et Cigarette has a very distinctive tobacco note that melds with the jamine. It's similar to the 'sweet' note that melds with the incense in Encens et Bubblegum. Both are on my ELDO wish list, which is unfortunately about 8 bottles long.

Off-Scenter

To inject some sense of proportion into this exchange, I'd like to note that while Secretions Magnifiques smells lousy, it doesn't necessarily smell lousy in an exciting, provocative sort of way. (Etat Libre d'Orange can only wish.) It smells lousy in a dull, industrial chemical, windshield wiper fluid sort of way. At once repellent and boring. A landmark achievement in the art of perfumery!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 20th February 2009 at 09:36 PM.

SM doesn't smell like semen, but it certainly suggests the smell of semen. Clearly, this was the intention of its creators. (the cartoony ejaculating penis marketing artwork makes this embarrassingly obvious)

...but semen smells better then SM.

To me, SM smells like protein--like raw egg whites. It's really hard to wash off, too.

Why anyone would want to smell like this is beyond me.

I appreciate the suggestion (sorry I don't remember who to credit for this, and I'm paraphrasing besides) that it wasn't really meant to be worn, but was really more of a bold socio-marketing statement/joke.

Also Tania Sanchez: "it calls the bluff of every boring floral that claimed to smell of sex".

That pretty much nails it.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to smell it, but I don't want it anywhere near me ever again. Having said that, I'd glad someone's out there doing iconoclastic stuff like this.

I rate it 5 stars for being interesting and ballsy...and zero stars for the actual scent aesthetic.
    Last edited by andylama; 20th February 2009 at 08:35 PM.

OK FOLKS... my sample arrived. Part of me was hoping that this was all a lot of fluff and it wasn't that bad, as I've found with my ELDO reviews as well as MKK.

WELL.... it is FOUL. Foul-foul. SUPER-foul.... profoundly unpleasant. I hope this was released as a joke or as some sort of artistic statement because if not, someone should be fired. I'd love to see ELDO's balance sheet on this one "well, we sold three bottles worldwide this year - one to TPC, one to someone who has every other ELDO fragrance, and the other to a pervert who liked the ejaculating penis graphic." I have a question - where do all the unsold bottles go and what do they do with them?

I don't know what it smells like - I don't think it's semen - because this is much more foul, but to play "what's the first smell that comes to mind" came, the answer is "bile". It actually triggers my gag reflex.

However, you'll all be pleased to know that I have found a use for Secretions Magnifique - take a vial and go to someone you don't like, perhaps a boss or annoying co-worker, and spill the vial onto some sort of fabric i.e. their chair or perhaps their cubicle wall. I see endless uses for SM in gag scenarios. I would find anyone who willingly uses this as an SOTD as deeply troubled.

Off-Scenter

Welcome to the club bbBD! Perhaps we should commission an "I Survived Secretions Magnifiques" T-shirt.

SM is the only fragrance i have absolutely no desire whatsoever to sample....ever! I almost get nauseous just imagining what it smells like.

OK FOLKS... my sample arrived. Part of me was hoping that this was all a lot of fluff and it wasn't that bad, as I've found with my ELDO reviews as well as MKK.

WELL.... it is FOUL. Foul-foul. SUPER-foul.... profoundly unpleasant. I hope this was released as a joke or as some sort of artistic statement because if not, someone should be fired. I'd love to see ELDO's balance sheet on this one "well, we sold three bottles worldwide this year - one to TPC, one to someone who has every other ELDO fragrance, and the other to a pervert who liked the ejaculating penis graphic." I have a question - where do all the unsold bottles go and what do they do with them?

I don't know what it smells like - I don't think it's semen - because this is much more foul, but to play "what's the first smell that comes to mind" came, the answer is "bile". It actually triggers my gag reflex.

However, you'll all be pleased to know that I have found a use for Secretions Magnifique - take a vial and go to someone you don't like, perhaps a boss or annoying co-worker, and spill the vial onto some sort of fabric i.e. their chair or perhaps their cubicle wall. I see endless uses for SM in gag scenarios. I would find anyone who willingly uses this as an SOTD as deeply troubled.
    I think that's a very restrained and lenient description you've given - bile isn't anywhere near as bad as this stuff is.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st February 2009 at 05:20 AM.

It's probably due to the concentration of the juice. I remember a few months ago I visited elder relatives. Their dog had the runs, and it got all over his rear end. They tried to wipe it off with wet paper towels but the room smelled like really rotten fish, along with the fecal smell. The smell was awful, of course, but I'll bet SM is worse because of the concentration of the offending molecules.

I'm glad you made it out Okay Good on you for trying this fragrance. I think the idea of using this against someone is hilarious and oh so tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I think that's a very restrained and lenient description you've given - bile isn't anywhere near as bad as this stuff is.
    LOL probably true, it is more foul than bile. I played with the idea of keeping it on my hand to see if the drydown got better, but I couldn't handle waiting, especially not on day when a TPC package arrived and other samples are waiting to be tried. As people reported SM was tough to get off - lots of hot water and soap, and I only applied a tiny dab.

Oh come on everyone, it's a modern, aquatic version of Joy - they just added a chum bucket accord to the rotting lilies.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st February 2009 at 02:06 PM.

LOL probably true, it is more foul than bile. I played with the idea of keeping it on my hand to see if the drydown got better, but I couldn't handle waiting, especially not on day when a TPC package arrived and other samples are waiting to be tried. As people reported SM was tough to get off - lots of hot water and soap, and I only applied a tiny dab.
    I was in the middle of the city when I put a big spray on my arm. I sprayed Kenneth Cole Black from another store all over it to try tone it down. I tried washing it off with soap in the men's room when I got back to my office. But it wouldn't come off. I then had to wait another six hours with this rubbish on my arm till I got home and used some Solvol (soap for getting car grease off) which finally did the trick.

Now that you've smelled it, how do you feel about Perfume The Guide, giving SM a whole 5 stars, while giving scents like Laguna PH a Trashoid Oriental 1 star rating?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st February 2009 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    SM is the only fragrance i have absolutely no desire whatsoever to sample....ever! I almost get nauseous just imagining what it smells like.
    You really should try it - it's very hard to be too critical of any other scent after experiencing SM.

After I smelled it, all other scents seemed to smell so much nicer for some reason.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st February 2009 at 05:56 AM.

Renato: I got the impression that in The Guide, LT in particular wrote up a lot of reviews where emotion seemed to take precedence over all else. With SM especially, I can see how someone like him might think to himself "wow, now this is truly wild, unique stuff !" Otherwise, a straightforward review would mention which bodily secretions (or combinations of them) this juice smelled like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Renato: I got the impression that in The Guide, LT in particular wrote up a lot of reviews where emotion seemed to take precedence over all else. With SM especially, I can see how someone like him might think to himself "wow, now this is truly wild, unique stuff !" Otherwise, a straightforward review would mention which bodily secretions (or combinations of them) this juice smelled like.
    Yes, but his emotion doesn't come anywhere close to matching the emotion of most people who smell it. His baseline for what is good and bad is plainly different to mine and that of numerous others, and nothing illustrates it moreso than SM.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You really should try it - it's very hard to be too critical of any other scent after experiencing SM.

After I smelled it, all other scents seemed to smell so much nicer for some reason.
    Renato

I think i'll take your your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Oh come on everyone, it's a modern, aquatic version of Joy - they just added a chum bucket accord to the rotting lilies.
    Exactly. SM reminds me of cleaning catfish near a dirty river with white flowers growing nearby. Fortunately, I smell more white flowers than the other odd, disturbing accords. I have worn it a couple of times but I'm not sure I want to again. Mainly because there so many other scents in the Etat Libre d'Orange library I'd rather wear: Nombrile Immense, Rossy de Palma, Rien, Je suis un homme, Vraie Blonde, etc.
    Last edited by Sloan; 21st February 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: sp

Basenotes Institution

...I have a question - where do all the unsold bottles go and what do they do with them?..
    Funny - I thought the same thing when I smelled it. One would have to handle a large amount of this juice very carefully. You know...like raw sewage is handled very carefully.

Glad you got to 'experience' it bbBD.

Now that you've smelled it, how do you feel about Perfume The Guide, giving SM a whole 5 stars, while giving scents like Laguna PH a Trashoid Oriental 1 star rating?
    Renato
    What do I think? I think it is what it is - I certainly don't agree with many of Turin's reviews either positive or negative, but I still there there's a lot of educational value in them, and they've sparked many ideas for what I should sample. I could list a dozen fragrances I'd have never tried but for the Guide, and quite a few I own right now, like Diorella, Cristalle, and Hypnotic Poison.

Some of my favorites (like SDV or Chypre Fatale) are 2 stars, and some I hate, like SM, are 5 stars. I try not to get too bogged down in the stars and just read for the wealth of information.

LOL at mikeperez... it is like raw sewage... where do all the bottles go? I was fleshing out the idea of how to prank people I don't like with SM. It may be worth buying a bottle just to shatter on the carpet of someone you really don't like, or even worse spray SM where you know someone's hands are going to be, their desk, doorknobs, car door handle, etc.... you get my drift. It's better than 'liquid ass' or a stinkbomb for that purpose.

I have yet to smell this and I am still not in a rush one day I will

i remember when i smelled this. it was at Henri Bendel. i asked the SA beforehand what it smells like because i was basically scared to try it based on reivews (plus it has a penis drawing on the bottle).

the SA said, "some people say it has a slightly metallic scent."

he's a very, very bad man.
    Last edited by union1411; 22nd February 2009 at 12:16 AM.

Something about this stuff scares me. It's like inviting a Good size Demon into your house......you don't wan't it around.....I was actually somewhat spooked by this stuff.

Talking Re: Sécrétions Magnifiques

Again, my sample's on it's way. I've never been more curious to try a fragrance.

Many ELDO's received strongly worded reviews. I only found one of them - Putain de Palaces - to be unpleasant. For example, people were saying Vraie Blond smelled like 'champagne vomit'. It's just an aldehydic peach/floral. That's it. Nothing gross. Not a big deal. If you smelled it blind without knowing what it was or reading any reviews you'd think of it as entirely tame. What seems to happen is one person makes a vulgar analogy, it frames everyone else's reference point, and then they continue the analogy by spinning it to suit their own sense of humor. Same thing happened with MKK reviews, which but for a few fleeting strong topnotes is a fairly tame fragrance.

As a general matter it would be nice to avoid yet another thread of vulgarities, but I don't see that happening.

Can't wait for my sample to see what all the fuss is about.
    Well, to you Vraie Blond may smell like a simple aldehydic peach/floral, but I got a stinky synthetic and nauseating plastic note! Not a big deal, true, But definitely gross. To me. I guess that's the point. We all smell things differently. Frankly, I'm not too enthusiastic to sniff out SM if it smells anything like the bilge that LT refers to. But I will support you and anyone else 100% in your quest to sniff out the good, the bad, and the downright putrid. Hey, I'm perfectly content to play in my sandbox of overly sweet gourmands that would probably make a lot of folks cringe to sniff!

Well that's true lizzie, things do smell differently to us all... perhaps I'm just immune to the ELDO 'thing' that many people find so unpleasant, but with the exception of SM I don't find any of them gross at all, not even the 'usual suspects' that are criticized often - Vraie Blonde, Vierges et Torros, Rien, and Charogne. I didn't like Putain de Palaces, that was gross. I'm going to dig out my Vraie Blonde to see if I can tell what you're describing.

Here is another negative review. After half an hour I realized why Luca Turin described it as 'nautical floral' as it reminds me of (healthy) vaginal secretions. No wonder I needed a shower to get it off. I won't be wearing it again.

AromiErotici

Stale sweat and dried blood. This is what SM smells like to me and gives me a gag reflex.

I don't consider it a perfume or an achievement. I do however consider it vile.

I enjoy the almost universal harmony of loathing this receives. It's the closest thing perfumistas to one of those childhood dares to do something scary or gross e.g. I dare you to smell Secretions Magnifiques!

The most interesting thing to me is that everyone smells something different. To my nose, it has a weird accord like pepto-bismol, wet dog, and scent of cooled saliva magnified a hundred times. I'm actually getting kind of queasy remembering how hard it was to get this off my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    what's next? someone wiping their butt and bottling it?
    Of course:

http://www.prankplace.com/product.as...ss&p=6907&c=41

They even have a nice commercial.

I just can't understand where all these comments about it being vile is coming from. It is beautiful! It smells somewhat cheap and musky shampoo like, but I enjoy it! A very nice friend here on Basenotes sent me this together with some other samples, and this is the first fragrance I for ONCE feel is a little bit exciting. I think I'm going for a bottle. I get NOTHING vile about it and the comments here feel very premature.

I get an amazing metallic/zesty scent experience and after that a very clean and flowery musk. It truely shines on a distance, up close to the skin is not the same thing.
    Last edited by shifts; 12th June 2010 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Stale sweat and dried blood. This is what SM smells like to me and gives me a gag reflex.

I don't consider it a perfume or an achievement. I do however consider it vile.
    I think that ELdO is more avant garde than anything else. I do enjoy their Jasmin et Cigarette and Delicious Closet Queen. (I have also tried Putain des Palaces, but have yet to try SM.)

The director of Etat Libre d'Orange, Etienne Swardt said Secretions Magnifiques IS based on human bodily secretions, or "les quatre Ss," the four "Ss": "sueur, sperme, sang, et saliva," or "sweat, sperm, blood and saliva."

I think the makers of art and cutting-edge cuisine also try to push the envelope.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th June 2010 at 04:57 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The director of Etat Libre d'Orange, Etienne Swardt said Secretions Magnifique IS based on human bodily secretions, or "les quatre Ss," the four "Ss": "sueur, sperme, sang, et saliva," or "sweat, sperm, blood and saliva."
    This might be true, but if they tried to replicate those smells, they surely failed miserably.

The only scent that makes me physically ill.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    This might be true, but if they tried to replicate those smells, they surely failed miserably.
    They didn't miss by much.

AromiErotici

Who would ACTUALLY WEAR THIS at a social gathering?

Sur la Plage

While I did not find it to be the most pleasant smell I have ever encountered, in no way did it induce any feelings of sickness/nausea/etc.

I thought I was a big drama queen. But after reading some of the comments here, I think there are many other contenders to the crown.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    While I did not find it to be the most pleasant smell I have ever encountered, in no way did it induce any feelings of sickness/nausea/etc.

I thought I was a big drama queen. But after reading some of the comments here, I think there are many other contenders to the crown.
    Joe......I usually don't gag when wearing a scent, but on me, this radiates off my skin as sweat and blood. That is all I get from it....and I'm grateful there isn't more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Who would ACTUALLY WEAR THIS at a social gathering?
    It's an excellent scent for social lepers.
    Cheers,
    Renato

AromiErotici

It's an excellent scent for social lepers.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Aha ! I assume it would also be very effective to wear if you were trying to get someone to break up with you. It really would save you all the drama....

The cleverest thing about SM is that it's got thousands of people discussing it. Superb publicity for ELDO! I don't know if I'm allowed to post links (someone please tell me if I'm not), but a while ago, I published a little entry on my site about this 'brave' scent... http://makingscent.blogspot.com/2010...ecretions.html
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.