Code of Conduct

Default I need fragrance recs!

Please help me find a new scent!

I'm looking for a new perfume, but unfortunately, all I have access to are stores like Dillard's, and I find that I'm picky. I don't like very heavy, powdery florals (like YSL Paris) and I don't like very sweet scents either. I'm looking for something not heavy (but without that ozone smell) that I could wear everyday during the winter.

My favorite scent is Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee, but it doesn't last long and it's too light for most months. I also own Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, but it's even more transparent than En Mediterranee. I hated Apres La Mousson--too green, vaguely reminds me of Chanel's Cristalle, which I dislike even more.

I'm looking for something similar to Infusion d'Iris (but perhaps with more longevity), which I love and adore, but one of my closest friends/roommates wears it. I like D&G Light Blue, but it's too common. I love L'Heure Bleure, Caleche, and Shalimar but they're a bit too mature for me.

Scents I dislike: Hypnotic Poison, Angel, anything "Pleasures" from Estee Lauder, Fracas, DKNY Be Delilcious, anything Escada.
    Unfortunately, I haven't smelled much.

I like citrus, bright florals, aldehydes, tea, iris, jasmine (probably my favorite).
    I dislike amber and leather.
    Preferably, no niche scents.

FYI I'm a 20 year old art history major at a very old school, but I may seem more mature. Blair Waldorf is my style muse, and our personalities are somewhat similar. I like to look very put together, but still a little quirky, and am rather girly in the old-fashioned sense--if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, this is post is too long.
    Last edited by peregrine; 19th February 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Default Re: I need fragrance recs!

Welcome, peregrine! :wave:

Since you mention tea, I'll suggest some of my favorites, the Bulgari tea scents: Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge, au Thé Blanc, or au Thé Vert. Rouge is my favorite of the three, and I wear it year-round. When I tested it at Macy's, I disliked it, left the store, went to a movie, and found that I couldn't stop sniffing my arm for the next two hours. I went right back and bought it. I'm pretty sure it won't be as common as Light Blue. Also consider Bulgari Omnia for more of a winter option.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge:
    top notes: Pink Pepper, Seville Orange, Bergamot
    midnotes: Roiboos Red Tea, Yunnan Red Tea, Fig
    basenotes: Walnut, Musk, Balsamic Notes

Omnia: (sounds sweet, but it really isn't)
    top notes: Mandarin orange
    midnotes: Masala tea
    basenotes: White chocolate

Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by tang; 19th February 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added notes

Since you like Prada Infusion d'Iris, I'd recommend Hermes Hiris. I've not seen it at my local Sephora (it's a smallish store), but it easily available online for very reasonable price. To my nose, it shares a lot with Prada, but is less bright and transparent, and more on the dusky/earthy side.

Welcome!

You might try Jo Malone (they sometimes carry them in Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc.). Specifically, I'm thinking White Jasmine & Mint, although possibly Blue Agava and Cacoa. WJ&M lasts for about 6 hours on me, although it's mostly musk with a little jasmine the last 3 hours or so.

Alien by T. Mugler might also be worth a shot. Don't let Angel scare you off (it's not for me, either). It's jasmine-predominant on me. It's possible it could be a bit sweet or ambery for you, but I'm not a big fan of these notes, and I'm just fine with it. And it has prodigious longevity.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Welcome!

You might try Jo Malone (they sometimes carry them in Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc.). Specifically, I'm thinking White Jasmine & Mint, although possibly Blue Agava and Cacoa. WJ&M lasts for about 6 hours on me, although it's mostly musk with a little jasmine the last 3 hours or so.
    Jo Malone is great although these fragrances are on the light side. My favorite is Pomegranate Noir (it's not much of a "noir" but I get some incense in it). It's lovely. Jo Malone can also be found in Nordstrom's or online. This line is nice because you can get the scents in 30 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Welcome, peregrine! :wave:

Since you mention tea, I'll suggest some of my favorites, the Bulgari tea scents: Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge, au Thé Blanc, or au Thé Vert. Rouge is my favorite of the three, and I wear it year-round. When I tested it at Macy's, I disliked it, left the store, went to a movie, and found that I couldn't stop sniffing my arm for the next two hours. I went right back and bought it. I'm pretty sure it won't be as common as Light Blue. Also consider Bulgari Omnia for more of a winter option.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I absolutely ADORE the Bulgaria tea scents, but they last about fifteen minutes on me--I can't justify buying a scent that fades so quickly, although they are gorgeous. The Rouge is my favorite too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Welcome!

Alien by T. Mugler might also be worth a shot. Don't let Angel scare you off (it's not for me, either). It's jasmine-predominant on me. It's possible it could be a bit sweet or ambery for you, but I'm not a big fan of these notes, and I'm just fine with it. And it has prodigious longevity.
    I also love many of the Jo Malones (my mom is a huge fan, and I often borrow) but they also don't last on me after an hour. I have a sample of Blue Agava and Cacoa, but it's a tad too sweet to wear, but I do like sniffing it.

I'll check out Alien, sounds intriguing.

May I suggest two fragrances?

Chanel No.19 in the eau de toilette (iris, jasmine, rose etc.). The edt is lighter and brighter than the eau de parfum but please let it dry down before you decide.

Carthusia Via Camarelle eau de toilette. Light and very fresh this has notes of bergamot, lemon, cyclamen, water lily and jasmine. Happy searching!

I wonder if you might like Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle? I did a search for fragrances with Aldehydes, Jasmine and Cedar, and that's one that came up (there were many others, but I didn't want to list them all). If you want to try this yourself, you can go to www.fragrantica.com, click on "Perfumes" and then select the notes/ingredients you want in the fragrance. It might give you some additional ideas, and it can be fun to play around with.

I agree about the Chanel 19. I'd see if I could find some Aqua Allegoria to sample as well.

I think Jo Malone White Jasmin & Mint is very nice, a perfect scent for a young lady, subtle, inoffensive and pretty. But there's not much "quirkiness" in it.

Since you mentioned you liked light blue, may I suggest Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace? It's very similar, just a tad more floral and a lot less common compared to light blue. Actually you may like the bond no. 9 line, they are young, fresh and good quality stuff. My two personal favorites are Chelsea Flowers and Coney Island, though the latter has melon in it which you might dislike since you hated Apres La Mousson and most Escadas.
    Last edited by luchen; 20th February 2009 at 12:27 AM.

Since you mentioned L'Heure Bleue (but felt it a little too mature), how about Insolence by Guerlain? It's a sassy version with violets and raspberry. I know Dillards carries this, because I ordered refills for my purse spray from them.

Hillaire

We art historians love perfume.

Since you mentioned Caleche, Shalimar, and L'Heure Bleue, but consider them mature, if you would care to venture in the direction of classics, I would like to suggest Rive Gauche and Calandre. I wore these in my student days (they were oldies then, too.) They are classics that are really more accessible to young women. And they are great. Totally put together and quirky.

I think the Jo Malone suggestions are good. If you like citrus, consider the Lime Basil and Mandarin, a lovely herbal-citrus scent. Pomegranate Noir is quite interesting, a bit brooding (in a good way). And Vetyver is an outstanding refreshing take on the vetiver note. And there's lots of others in the line -- and people also layer them in interesting ways.
    A real feel-good scent is Mugler Cologne, a citrus-vetiver scent that is so cheery!
    Good luck on your search.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Queen B,

Try Kelly Caleche, if you haven't already. Original Caleche is something I also find 'too old' (I'm 25) but its younger sister is bright and modern. Some people call this a leather scent, but I've never understood that -- to me it's an unsweet floral, unfussy and chic, though of course your mileage may vary. It's related to the Jardins in general 'character', since you seem to have been attracted to that series.

I'll second the Chanel No. 19 EDT, which I think shares qualities (though not notes) in common with Prada Infusion d'Iris. A bit green, but 'rounded' -- not vegetal like Mousson -- and with a powdery-floral character (galbanum and iris root). I think the modern formulation has dispensed or mostly dispensed with aldehydes, but it still has that 'classic' feel without smelling old. I personally think it's the most modern entry in the Chanel line-up.

Michael Kors Michael is a tuberose/gardenia that you might like if you are keen on jasmine right now. Of course, it isn't jasmine, but for me gardenia can sometimes do the same olfactory trick. Is kind of a powerhouse white floral, but can be dressed down or up. Of course, you might hate tuberose, but it's worth a try.

And, yes, check out the Jo Malone line if you have a Nieman's or a Saks within reach. The brand is esoteric enough to have some of the ~exclusivity~ caché of niche without the weirdness, or price points, of actual niche. I think the Jasmine and Mint cologne in that line might be too green for you, from what you've expressed of your tastes, but the whole line is definitely worth a look. Something for everyone.

Happy hunting.

Since you mention liking tea,jasmine and iris, have you tried Estee Lauder
    White Linen?
    I second the choice of Bulgari Omnia and add a third, Olivier Durbano Jade.
    It begins with a slightly medicinal bitter tea note and has iris in the heart notes.

Hermes Kelly Caleche might be your thing
    though I hope that leather is not too much for you.
    Also perhaps give Bvlgari Omnia Amethiyste and
    Agent Provocateur Maitresse a try.

best of luck
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

The Malle Bigarade might be an appropriate suggestion. This is the ur-citrus in my definition.

Since you like Infusion d'Iris, I suggest you try the men's Infusion d'Homme and also the regular Prada for men (also called Prada Amber here on the boards). Both have related notes, and both are wearable by a woman.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd February 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Neither Classic,Niche, nor High End however I do think you may find some great 'throw on every day' scents at your local Body Shop.

Japanese Musk, Neroli Jasmine, Ananya, Alpine Lily are all scents that smell more complex / expensive then they are and the longevity is usually very good. You may also really enjoy their Cinnamon Spice (likened to a less spicy / easier to wear Chanel Chance) and Cosy Cashmere (likened to a less floral / less powdery Chanel Allure)

You may also like Pierre Balmain Madame Jolie, Carven Ma Griffe, Jean Patou ENJoy, Rochas Lumiere (MODERN formulation)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

lol moondeva im pretty sure the body shop is a british only thing. i could be mistaken.. anyway im going to jump in and reccomend a frag that i beg you try, as it goes in any weather and is gorgeous. honestly my mother (who is a young cool person, so you know!) wears givenchy hot couture. I love this smell so much and now my gf has it, it is her fav, and i smell it all the time and it truly is godly imo. also, dont be put off by the fact i said my mom wears it lol. she really is a cool mom who is down with the kids, yet with a sense of maturity. sounds like this could be the one for you...

My daughter's 20 and loves Burberry Brit (edp) during the winter months. She also recently discovered True Religion, which is lighter and more spring like for the (hopefully) nearing warmer weather!

^ The SA who helped me yesterday said that True Religion has a similar feel to Light Blue, so definitely consider that one!

(Btw, avfcdamian92, The Body Shop has dozens of stores in the U.S. )

Maybe a bit too common,but what about Coco Chanel Mademoiselle?

Tea? try the Lizzy Arden Green Tea series. Spiced is especially nice and good for winter. The whole range is cheap as chips, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

And please try Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker. It's lasting, crisp and modern, but interesting and somehow well thought-out.

I haven't worn Omnia but it gets a lot of love here and sounds cracking. Great suggestion.
    And I love the suggestions of Rive Gauche/Calandre - I wore that when I was your age and it was perfect. Brainy sexy.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal.