Code of Conduct

Default Who does not like TdH and why?

I bought a bottle of TdH when it was released. I wore it a few times and I liked it with moderation.
    I am a fan of dried and earthy fragrances but to my nose , or in my skin I do not get that feeling. There is something in there that does not click, a rotten orange mixed with ginger?
    I get a very synthetic bitter feeling, like some sort of plastic covered with grapefruit Gatorade. If you take a brick, you grind it to dust and through it in a bucket full of orange peels maybe you will get something like Terre.

It has a brilliant name : Terre, that is earth, and the bottle is very elegant, so is the whole marketing plot but... I will call it instead : "orange gone bad".

Then I joined Basenotes.net and I discovered that Terre was a favorite, a winner getting lots of love and not many bad comments.It is also first choice for new members looking for something different and good from designers.

Back to my original question; Is there other people that does not like Terre?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Who does not like TdH and why?

Agreed. I think it`s ok, but nothing more. When i start using this one i thougt it was fantastic, but after a while i could only notice the smell of grapefruit and pepper..
    It`s ok to have it in my collection, but i think i will not buy it again. Like you said, the bottle is very stylish!

I don't have a desire to smell like a mud.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

TDH smells great, but the Iso E Super (?) in it is a headache inducer.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I disliked it immediately on testing. It has a plasticky sparse quality which has become Elena's signature and which I don't like at all. Smells contrived and synthetic to me, lacking depth. I like only a few of his creations, declaration, cologne bigarade (not concentree).
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I've had the dirt note come out too strong. I've had it end up smelling just like Dawn original formula dish soap. I've had it smell as if I had a bottle of aspirin under my nose all day long. And on top of that, 2 out of 3 times it will give me a headache.

I've tried and tried (just gave it another chance yesterday) and I just don't get the hype around this fragrance. At all.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Nice start during the first week with my bottle. But that one piercing note ( pamplemousse synthétique?) kept drilling itself into my head. I also found it mineralic cold, not earthy and warm. 'Good bye, beautiful bottle, and no regrets!'
    Last edited by narcus; 20th February 2009 at 09:55 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't have a reason to like it. It doesn't do much on me, and I don't get anything earthy from it at all, just a long lasting acidic feeling citrus note.

It smells so much like the sawdust of freshly sawn timber to me. And quite synthetic too. Don't care much for it, but I can see its appeal with the masses.

I don't wear it often but sometimes really enjoy it when I do. What at first seemed synthetic and slightly rotten has revealed itself, I think, to be a big dose of cedar that wraps around the orange in an usuall way. But if you wear Anat Fritz, for instance, on one wrist and TdH on the other, TdH snaps into focus as a more natural frag than you might first think. There's always the question of how and when to wear something. I like TdH best on cool days and applied lightly. The odd whiff is delightful; a steady pipeline of Terre d'Hermes can be headache-inducing. But this is how I feel about some of my favorite people, too: big personalities need space and they simply will be themselves. It ain't a cozy frag but well done, I think.
    And then he noticed that he hadn't answered the question. Um, I sometimes hate this stuff, and then again not.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 20th February 2009 at 11:37 AM.

My feelings on this one have been all over the map. The first time I tested it, I loathed it. Couldn't wait to wash it off. Unfortunately, I was on the road and over an hour from my destination. So I was stuck with it.

Then I got a sample as part of an eBay lot. I gave it another try. It seemed to work; the citrus notes came out better or I perceived them better. Went through the sample and was converted. Even bought a bottle.

Post bottle, results are mixed. My conclusion, for me only, is it is something I can only enjoy on the hottest of days. Somehow it smells better then.

I probably won't touch mine again till June or July. It will be interesting if it clicks this year.

It doesnt smell of anything much to me , its so unremarkable and yet so many people love it .. I dont get it at all

I have come to appreciate Terre d'Hermès more now than i did back when it was released but not on my skin, as it smells like laundry detergent, sadly.

Terre d'Hermès is simply too synthetic for me. It also lacks any warmth, depth and character. Sure, it is (or was?) a unique scent but that doesn't change the fact that I never liked it from day one.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I find it terribly hard to believe that so many people think Terre d'Hermès and Red Vetyver smell almost identical - that's complete poppy-cock (in the same way MKK, allegedly, smells like someone's private parts when it's simply a bloody sweet smelling musk)! Before anyone else draws comparisons with Red Vetyver again, I'd advise them to get a sample of Vetiver Tonka beforehand - Red Vetyver is far closer to this than it will ever be to Terre d'Hermès.

Terre d'Hermès is completely over-rated - do you really think an experienced Basenoter would be dumb enough to buy something else that smells exactly like it?

Sheezz!

I absolutely loved it at first. Now I have found other fragrances that hold my attention better. I love the mineral accord in TdH, but it seems a bit too simple to me now. I still like it a lot, but I don't love it.

i liked it the first few times a lot but with time i've noticed that

a) there's something synthetic about it

b) induces headaches

c) there's better fragrances out there that do vetiver

but for cost/longevity/sillage/strong vetiver ratio, i think TdH is actually a pretty good deal

I really would love to enjoy TdH, but it gives me a headache. In fact, most Hermes scents do. That's not to say that it is a lovely fragrance house, though.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

On my skin, in the heat, it becomes overwhelmingly cloying.

I do enjoy it on cold days layered with Vetiver Oriental underneath.

I think it is one of the highest quality designer scents released in recent memory. When wearing it, I can smell the superior quality of it versus anything by Armani etc... That said, my wife absolutely hates this stuff and lets me know it every time I wear it. She feels it is too spicy. (She's crazy by the way...hahahaha)
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Reminds me of grandmothers Chanel No. 5 and the ISO E is overly apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    I don't have a reason to like it. It doesn't do much on me, and I don't get anything earthy from it at all, just a long lasting acidic feeling citrus note.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    My feelings on this one have been all over the map. The first time I tested it, I loathed it. Couldn't wait to wash it off.

Post bottle, results are mixed. My conclusion, for me only, is it is something I can only enjoy on the hottest of days. Somehow it smells better then.
    These are pretty much how I feel about it.

I think one of the problems I have with TdH is that it's soo linear on my skin. I spray it, I get a dry peppery bitter orange and heavy cedar. Middle notes - dry peppery bitter orange heavy cedar. 4 hours later bitter orange heavy cedar. It's definitely growing on me the more I wear it, but it never really evolves much for me.

I much prefer Vetiver Tonka to TdH these days.

TdH worked well for me during the first half of 2008 and I got many compliments when I wore it then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    On my skin, in the heat, it becomes overwhelmingly cloying.
    My feelings exactly. TdH suffocates me in the heat.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

TdH suffocates me in all weather.

My issues with TdH have already been expressed by others, so I'll just abbreviate:
    • Too synthetic.
    • The rotten orange smell is off-putting to me.
    • Life's too short to spend on perfume that your nose does't care for.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I once wore it too much in succession, and now truly do not like it at all. Before then, it was nice for a rotation. Yet, there is certainly something that bothers me - a note that irritates and distracts from the rest.

Thumbs down Re: Who does not like TdH and why?

Me don`t like this fragance (why:terrosa,polvorienta,caliente y pesada......) and you know........Hermes:zapatero a tus zapatos well in this case a tus pañuelos.
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 23rd February 2009 at 06:02 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

I like it in my rotation. I wore it alot when I went on vacation in the Philippines, I need a break from it. Still like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Terre d'Hermès is simply too synthetic for me. It also lacks any warmth, depth and character. Sure, it is (or was?) a unique scent but that doesn't change the fact that I never liked it from day one.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I find it terribly hard to believe that so many people think Terre d'Hermès and Red Vetyver smell almost identical - that's complete poppy-cock (in the same way MKK, allegedly, smells like someone's private parts when it's simply a bloody sweet smelling musk)! Before anyone else draws comparisons with Red Vetyver again, I'd advise them to get a sample of Vetiver Tonka beforehand - Red Vetyver is far closer to this than it will ever be to Terre d'Hermès.

Terre d'Hermès is completely over-rated - do you really think an experienced Basenoter would be dumb enough to buy something else that smells exactly like it?

Sheezz!
    To me, Red Vetyver is TdH with the harsh prickling notes removed which basically makes it a wearable TdH. Still not nearly good enough to get even a decant of, though.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I really wanted to like it as I am generally a fan of Hermes' fragrances. It strikes me as an inhospitable scent--not the warm, nurturing earth, but the hostile, dangerous earth--flinty, sharp and acrid. Conceptually it is wonderful, just not something that I like to wear. Give me Bel Ami or Orange Verte over this anyday.