Code of Conduct

Default Ambergris in carrier oil

Hello !

What is the principal use of Ambergris tincture ?

Is posible diluid Ambergris in carrier oil or tincture is ever make with alcohol ?

Ambergris blend well with civet musk ?

Thanks !

Cl ,
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Default Re: Ambergris in carrier oil

I would like to know as well if anyone could provide information on the best way to prepare an ambergris tincture or infusion.

Many thanks.

I use a double-boiler method:

-First choose your carrier oil. Jojoba oil is good nuetral oil, although it will not incorporate well in alcohol. If you plan to make alcohol-based perfumes try fractioned coconut oil.

-Pour 12 ml carrier oil into a glass jar and place the jar into a saucer of hot tap water to warm it.

-Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil then turn off the flame. Place a heavy ceramic bowl over the pot so the bottom just touches the surface of the water. Crumble 6 grams of ambergris into the bowl. It will gently melt over the next several minutes.

-Take your jar of carrier oil. Dry the bottom of the jar and slowly pour the oil over the ambergris. Use a small whisk to stir in the oil as you pour.

-Scrape the resulting sludge into a glass jar and store in a dark cabinet for two weeks. Jiggle the contents in the jar every few days. After two weeks pour through a coarse mesh sieve to remove most of the bits (broken squid beaks), put the solution back into a jar and store in the cabinet for another two weeks. Now strain through a fine mesh sieve.

-Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I use a double-boiler method:

-First choose your carrier oil. Jojoba oil is good nuetral oil, although it will not incorporate well in alcohol. If you plan to make alcohol-based perfumes try fractioned coconut oil.

-Pour 12 ml carrier oil into a glass jar and place the jar into a saucer of hot tap water to warm it.

-Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil then turn off the flame. Place a heavy ceramic bowl over the pot so the bottom just touches the surface of the water. Crumble 6 grams of ambergris into the bowl. It will gently melt over the next several minutes.

-Take your jar of carrier oil. Dry the bottom of the jar and slowly pour the oil over the ambergris. Use a small whisk to stir in the oil as you pour.

-Scrape the resulting sludge into a glass jar and store in a dark cabinet for two weeks. Jiggle the contents in the jar every few days. After two weeks pour through a coarse mesh sieve to remove most of the bits (broken squid beaks), put the solution back into a jar and store in the cabinet for another two weeks. Now strain through a fine mesh sieve.

-Voila!

Yes, this is a good method. I have a small food dehydrator, I have also experimented with leaving the ambergris in Coconut oil for a few days at 115.F with good results. Definitely need the added heat when working with ambergris.

Manuel and Aghora what color is the ambergris tincture when you have combined it with the carrier oil / alcohol?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    Manuel and Aghora what color is the ambergris tincture when you have combined it with the carrier oil / alcohol?

Thanks.

After a few weeks in Frac. coconut oil, it became a slight off grey, but it was still clear. With the very faint and sweet aroma of ambergris..ahh, the ocean!

I am wondering how strong a scent you would get with this ambergris oil. Every other oil-based fragrance I've tested has very subtle strength compared to an alcohol based fragrance. For instance, with pure Sandalwood oil, there is very little strength if you put it on your skin directly. Now, if you make an alcohol based perfume containing only 3% SW, this has a much stronger fragrance (though admittedly lesser longevity).

Well, you can try a tincture in alcohol, if you want it to be stronger. With oil, it is very light, but discernible and sweet prototypical ambergris.

I guess I'm confused when people describe ambergris as "sweet." It's many things to me, but one it isn't is sweet. I now have 3 "absolutes" (tinctures I reduced down and which then turned to solid waxy plugs in the test tubes) and one bottle of a strong tincture in alcohol. I also infused a little in fractionated coconut oil. Each of these has a different aroma. The palest of the absolutes, which is white, started out with a smell that only reminded me of isopropyl alcohol (not the ethanol in the perfumers' alcohol), but as it has aged, it has acquired an aroma that I can only equate with radiance--as though it captured the light. A medium brown absolute has a gentle smell of castoreum, but more gentle and complex. The third one is a little bit a combination of the two, but is starting to develop an amber note. The tincture, which is only a month old, still smells only of isopropanol but it has turned yellow from amber after sitting in the light. I'm hoping the tincture develops a radiance like the white ambergris. I want to age each for 2 years to see if I can come up with more amber aromas.