Code of Conduct

Default Dark Rose is back! And some others from Czech & Speake.

http://www.czechandspeake.com/aromatics.asp

My most treasured fragrance is back in production!
    Last edited by pelle; 21st February 2009 at 04:43 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Default Re: Dark Rose is back! And some other from Czech & Speake.

I just fear it will have been as decidedly reformulated as No. 88 and also Frankincense & Myrrh. As usually not for the better...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dark Rose is back! And some others from Czech & Speake.

I thought Mimosa is still in production? Or perhaps it wasn't really that sought after as I still do see it around.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Ahaah! I ordered my freebie samples with C&S last night!

I hope very very very much indeed that the juice is as amazing as reviews would have me believe!
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Default Re: Dark Rose is back! And some other from Czech & Speake.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I just fear it will have been as decidedly reformulated as No. 88 and also Frankincense & Myrrh. As usually not for the better...
    I have the original version of all three. I will let you know when I get a chance to sample the new reformulations.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    http://www.czechandspeake.com/aromatics.asp

My most treasured fragrance is back in production!

Great news indeed pelle. Dark Rose is one of my all time favorites.
    C&S Rose is superb. Thanks for the good news. The packaging for Rose has changed, for the better. The packaging for Dark Rose seems to have remained the same as it has, if I recall correctly, for Mimosa.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 21st February 2009 at 05:49 PM.

I've just ordered samples too... can't wait.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Banned

That's some weird timing. Received a sample of this, and e-mailed them around a month ago asking if they have any old stock of Dark Rose they could sell me. Can't wait, will have to order a bottle.

I guess since no 88 is one of my favorite fragrance ever i should like the "old-new" ones as well, never tried them.

Btw it s really really not expensive on their website, if you consider that the £ is now equal to the Euro.

It is hence way way cheaper to order it from them than anywhere else on the internet...
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Great news indeed pelle. Dark Rose is one of my all time favorites.
    C&S Rose is superb. Thanks for the good news. The packaging for Rose has changed, for the better. The packaging for Dark Rose seems to have remained the same as it has, if I recall correctly, for Mimosa.

scentemental

I haven´t tried Rose. Is it as male/unisex as No 88 and Dark Rose in feel? Is it similar to any other rose prominent fragrances?
    Last edited by pelle; 21st February 2009 at 06:22 PM.

My swap thread

This is such good news.

Dark Rose has depth and complexity and yet it is so comfortable and easy to wear with a soft, delectable, gentlemanly sillage. I will almost certainly obtain a bottle of Dark Rose, and I am looking forward to wearing it often.

Thank goodness for Czech and Speake.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    I haven´t tried Rose. Is it as male/unisex as No 88 and Dark Rose in feel? Is it similar to any other rose prominent fragrances?

Pelle, I won't comment on whether it's masculine or unisex. I choose not to understand fragrances in those terms. I have always thought of the fragrance of roses as an elemental scent rather than a gendered one, but I will say that it is a dewy green, fresh very natural--despite it's being somewhat abstract--rose accord (closer to rosa damascena rather than rosa centifolia) with a persistent patchouli theme, that is delicately interwoven with the main rose theme. Surprisingly, given the rose patchouli combination, C&S Rose never turns powdery or dry and manages to sustain that dewy green freshness throughout. I think the geranium adds a sharpness and brightness to the greenness and keeps the rosiness of the main floral theme fresh and buoyant
    . I detect slight touches of a clove like spiciness, perhaps it's the isoeugenol found in both roses and ylang ylang. There is no strong heady jasmine like floralcy one expects from ylang ylang extra here, nor the cresylic, medicinal note found in the higher (extra) grade of ylang ylang oil, so I suspect that the ylang ylang used here is fractionated (i.e., the part of the oil drawn off after the first initial richer distillation), and so the ylang ylang tends to augment the floralcy in a understated manner rather than define it in a characteristic way. It's surprisingly long lasting, perhaps due to the the unobtrusive sandalwood back note and the adroit way the patchouli acts both as a element of the main fragrance theme and as a fixative to carry that theme all the way through the drydown. If you sniff carefully and deliberatively enough, you will get echoes of C&S No. 88.

Like all C&S fragrances, C&S Rose is superbly crafted with superior naturals and synthetics, and like all C&S fragrances, it puts your dime-a-dozen-facile-perfunctory-new-flavor-of-the-month-I-must-be-special-because-I-cost-an-obscene-amount of-money niche releases to absolute same.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 21st February 2009 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Pelle, I won't comment on whether it's masculine or unisex. I choose not to understand fragrances in those terms. I have always thought of the fragrance of roses as an elemental scent rather than a gendered one, but I will say that it is a dewy green, fresh very natural--despite it's being somewhat abstract--rose accord (closer to rosa damascena rather than rosa centifolia) with a persistent patchouli theme, that is delicately interwoven with the main rose theme. Surprisingly, given the rose patchouli combination, C&S Rose never turns powdery or dry and manages to sustain that dewy green freshness throughout. I think the geranium adds a sharpness and brightness to the greenness and keeps the rosiness of the main floral theme fresh and buoyant
    . I detect slight touches of a clove like spiciness, perhaps it's the isoeugenol found in both roses and ylang ylang. There is no strong heady jasmine like floralcy one expects from ylang ylang extra, nor the cresylic, medicinal note found in the higher (extra) grade of ylang ylang oil, so I suspect that the ylang ylang used here is fractionated (i.e., the part of the oil drawn off after the first initial richer distillation), and so it tends to augment the floralcy in a subtle manner rather than define it in a characteristic way. It's surprisingly long lasting, perhaps due to the the unobtrusive sandalwood back note, and the really clever way the patchouli acts both as a element of the main fragrance theme and as a fixative to carry that theme all the way through the drydown. Like all C&S fragrances, it's superbly crafted with superior naturals and synthetics, and like all C&S fragrances, it puts your dime-a-dozen-facile-new-flavor-of-the-month-I-must-be-special-because-I-cost-an-obscene-amount of-money niche releases to absolute same.

scentemental
    Well... thanks! Seems it is worth checking out.

I think you are right seeing roses and as a category, forgetting gender classifications. Maybe this is extra adequate in the rose theme, I came to think of my rose hunt that I wrote about in another thread (http://community.basenotes.net/showt...24#post1315924). Some fragrances I like and some not, but it is not the "gender classification" that sets them apart. They does not smell too feminine or masculine - other qualities and aspects decide how I like them, and posts like your´s above really helps to develop the ability to recognize and talk about components and nuances.

Quick reading your post (and not being not as trained and familiar with ingredients and so on...) Sa Majaste la Rose and L'Ombre dans L'Eau comes to mind as maybe being similar to Rose.

Again, thanks for your thorough analysis.

Sorry for my off-topicness in my own thread!
    Last edited by pelle; 21st February 2009 at 08:05 PM.

My swap thread

N0. 88 reformulation still leaves a very good scent to my mind but the F&M is really weakened - it has lost much of its fat balsamic richness.

I never smelled the old dark rose but the new one smells a lot like the montale rose/oud thing.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 21st February 2009 at 08:33 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    N0. 88 reformulation still leaves a very good scent to my mind but the F&M is really weakened - it has lost much of its fat balsamic richness.
    I just got a bottle of F&M and I am assuming that its the new formulation. Decent stuff, but the incense note seems to be extremely weak and the base lacks the supposed depth people have been talking about. I recall Scentemental saying that F&M is one of the best incense based frags on the market but at this point I am not feeling it; perhaps its the old formulation that I should be chasing ?
    -

And what about Mimosa ?

If lon gevity is decent it seems amazing. Any thoughts ?
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I just got a bottle of F&M and I am assuming that its the new formulation. Decent stuff, but the incense note seems to be extremely weak and the base lacks the supposed depth people have been talking about. I recall Scentemental saying that F&M is one of the best incense based frags on the market but at this point I am not feeling it; perhaps its the old formulation that I should be chasing ?
    The incense in the newer one smells like good quality frankincense oil to me, the kind of oil you may get for aromatherapy, not very viscous. It is not a thick resinous incense note which permeates the whole fragrance (like an amouage) but still quite pure and ethereal. The depth (and width??) of the fragrance is definitely reduced . I still like it a lot and wish I hadn't smelled the older one in a way.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 21st February 2009 at 10:43 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Good news about the Dark Rose. This is one of those scents I've always heard scentemental and many others (whose opinions I respect) talk about glowingly.

Very exciting.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st February 2009 at 10:56 PM.

The packaging for Dark Rose has changed slightly. The original can be found here: http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/.sha..._dark_rose.jpg

I'm betting the scent has changed somewhat, too.

Thanks for sharing pelle. This is some of the best news I've heard in months. I could use a silver lining. I love Dark Rose . It's my favorite rose/oud combination. For what it's worth, scentemental's description of Rose is perfect. You should try it. It showcases a fresh rose accord far better than most.

Interesting, very interesting. I look forward to trying the Dark Rose. Perhaps the Rose or Mimosa is something for my girlfriend.
    Regards,
    Jani

"It is easy to find something to die for. What do you have to live for?"
    The First One.

I'm looking forward to trying ALL of them, though Dark Rose in particular interests me, given my love of No 88.

what's the catch for receiving the free samples and how long before you receive them.i put in for them , but i have a feeling i want get them.

I just got my Dark Rose and Rose samples last week after signing up on their website. I love both but think that I am going to use Dark Rose for evenings. Other than having to register with them there were no catches to getting samples

I am new on the site, but saw this discussion and wanted to add to it.

My husband gave me Penhaligan`s Rose perfume before and while I love the simple rose scent, Dark Rose seems more complex and grown up. The Czech and Speake Rose is more similar to Penhaligan`s, but once again, the additional components make it more spohisticated?

Does anyone know if they do Rose bath oil???? I would love one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Japanese Lily View Post
    I just got my Dark Rose and Rose samples last week after signing up on their website. I love both but think that I am going to use Dark Rose for evenings. Other than having to register with them there were no catches to getting samples

I am new on the site, but saw this discussion and wanted to add to it.

My husband gave me Penhaligan`s Rose perfume before and while I love the simple rose scent, Dark Rose seems more complex and grown up. The Czech and Speake Rose is more similar to Penhaligan`s, but once again, the additional components make it more spohisticated?

Does anyone know if they do Rose bath oil???? I would love one!!!
    I can only find the shower gel...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEL-DOCCIA-CZECH...Cura_del_Corpo

Oh, and welcome to basenotes! Glad you got the samples and that you like them.
    Last edited by pelle; 23rd February 2009 at 08:38 AM.

My swap thread

I got my samples last week and am slowly working my way through them. The packaging is beautiful by the way and they sent me samples of the whole range.

I was surprised by the floralness of No.88 and liked it a lot. Dark Rose was the one I tried last night and I thought it was beautiful - a very rich and juicy deep red rose. I've been impressed by the quality and am looking forward to trying the others in the range, especially F&M.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I got my samples last week and am slowly working my way through them. The packaging is beautiful by the way and they sent me samples of the whole range.
    I just ordered my sample yesterday. I wonder how long it took your sample to arrive, Wordbird?

I do have some hope for Dark Rose, while I tried No.88 and was somehow disappointed. How do you guys compare Dark Rose to No.88??

I did order the samples aswell. I haven't tried them before, but I will sure give them a try!
    unico grande amore.

thanks J Lilly, BTW what size was the samples and are they sprays or vials.

I too got my samples today, all 9 of them! Am slowly making my way through them.

No 88 is an interesting scent, but somewhat sharp and I think too strong for me. There is quite a lot of rose in it.

C&S are generous in their sample package. It took about 3 weeks (I think) from when I registered until I received them, and I was sent the entire line. They are the little vials (not spray) with a nice card on each.
    I'm enjoying the Dark Rose today. The oud is very bright and medicinal... actually the scent as a whole doesn't really seem "dark" to me at all. Gradually the oud steps back and a truly lovely, fresh rose scent emerges. That is just about perfect for a rose scent: very true and yet not heavy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

these samples are free right? haha
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    these samples are free right? haha
    Yes, you can get the entire line for free.

I adore Dark Rose and happened upon a bottle for swap a year or so ago. I haven't sniffed any of the others. Does anyone know if they will ship samples to the U.S.? Thanks.

Edited to add: Just ordered my samples! Thank you for posting this link, pelle!
    Last edited by Makeup Maniac; 23rd February 2009 at 05:26 PM.

I think they'll likely ship to the US - they ship to Canada for certain. I just ordered some samples yesterday.

I signed up on the C&Z website, but it does not work.

I registered 2-3 days ago and my login is still not working, meaning i can not order my new bottle of No 88. Any idea ?

I received the mail asking to confirm my email adress, i ve done it worked, saying i have confirmed, displaying my name etc. But then I still can not login.

I ve also done the "thing" for the samples on the same day, that worked fine since you do not have to be logged in to get these.

Had any of you the same issue with the registration ?
    Help please ?
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 23rd February 2009 at 07:36 PM.

I had the same problem today trying to order Dark Rose.

After a couple emails I was told they are having a problem with the site and are trying to contact each member who reported an issue.

Oleg (a rep there?) finally helped me get my purchase through.

I am hoping it is worth the wait.

BTW Thank you for the welcome note and for the info on shower gel Pelle.

Perhaps the flurry of activity from keen Basenoters has overloaded the system.
    Persist, and you will be rewarded!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas