Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons

Today I FINALLY got to sample Stephen Jones. I'm usually quick to sample a new Comme des Garcons scent but I have been busy sniffing a lot of other new stuff and this release came at a busy time for me but when a very generous Basenoter gifted me a sample of it, I eagerly tried it today.

Aldehydes and I are not close friends. When I arrived at BN, I remember learning that aldehydes were majorly responsible for the overall accord of No. 5 by Chanel and I knew I hated the way that smelled (like hairspray - it irritated my nose). Many other Chanel fragrances feature strong aldehydes and I steered clear of them for this reason. Later on I found out that a Estee Lauder scent I loved (a feminine) also has aldehydes, White Linen. I was a little confused. 'No it doesn't', was my first thought. That's when I learned that there are many different types of aldehydes used in many different ways.

Stephen Jones is an example of this. The aldehydes are fluorescent bright and come charging out of the scent as soon as it hits skin. It glows.

Have you ever stood right up against the Clinique cosmetic counter at a department store and talked to a white-smocked sales associate - and the entire time you're drenched in white hot fluorescent light? Well SJ smells like that.

The connection to White Linen is strong (which is fine with me, since I love WL in the EdT). But, instead of transitioning to a feminine floral middle note, SJ is mostly violet. Violets, of course, smell very masculine. Barbershop-esque. The combination of the fuzzy aldehydes and the deep, tangy, soapy violet is the best part of the scent and this linear accord hangs around the entire time.

The other silly notes in the press release for SJ (magma, black cumin, synthesized cyber aldehyde) I don't smell. What I do smell is the I've-smelled-this-synthetic-accord-before (maybe in Odeur 53 or Play?) that smells like the interior of a warm copy machine. Seriously. The accord is very light and doesn't overburden the violet but faintly buzzes along in the background.

CdG asked Antoine Maisondieu to create a scent that smells like 'a violet that's been hit by a meteorite'. I think SJ smells like a masculine floral that's been heated (not burned...Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga) but instead the air around the heart of florals is charged with a flickering electricity. It sounds disturbing. It's not. On skin it's strangely calming - kind of like Maisondieu's Hinoki is for CdG.

Today was cool in Miami and the scent wore strangely comfortable. I think this would smell even better in warm weather.

I want a bottle. But, most likely I won't buy one. I mean it's an overall fun smell, but when I think about it I really don't need to own this. I already own a decant of a strange violet scent: Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle (which I reviewed here).

But if you're looking for sheer fun and a men's violet scent that doesn't take itself too seriously, (and don't mind dropping $175 on the 'hat in a hat box ' inspired bottle) then Stephen Jones is for you.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd February 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons

I sampled it a while back, and it left me wondering what has happend to CDG. Not that it is a bad scent. But the later releases aren't comparable to CDG's earlier releases, let alone the exuberant price tags. Even the highly touted Hinoki, while reasonably good, doesn't compare in quality to an earlier release like CDG 2 Man. Give me CDG 2 over Stephen Jones anyday for half the price and double the volume.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Great Review Mike! As always, you paint a vivid picture. The price sounds steep for what it is. On a side note, I feel Hinoki is outstanding! (sorry for the plug)
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love Stephen Jones by CdG. I just can't pull it off. It's like wearing one of his big, couture hats in the real world.
    I find CdG's Luxe line rather disappointing, presenting LOUD as avante-garde is a bit underwhelming. After all, Guerlain's Insolence trounces Stephen Jones in the loud/avante-garde department with little more ambition than a guaranteed shelf space at Sephora.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st February 2009 at 05:38 AM.

A review that certainly increased my curiosity, thanks Mike! Must give this one a try. I'm not a big fan of aldehydes, either, and violet notes can be catastrophic on my skin, but there are always exceptions and this might be one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    On a side note, I feel Hinoki is outstanding! (sorry for the plug)
    So do I.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No. 5 by Chanel and I knew I hated the way that smelled (like hairspray - it irritated my nose).
    Thats it ! Mike you are a genius , for years Ive wondered why I hate No 5 so much and you have just answered it ... hairspray

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I sampled it a while back, and it left me wondering what has happend to CDG. Not that it is a bad scent. But the later releases aren't comparable to CDG's earlier releases, let alone the exuberant price tags. Even the highly touted Hinoki, while reasonably good, doesn't compare in quality to an earlier release like CDG 2 Man. Give me CDG 2 over Stephen Jones anyday for half the price and double the volume.
    I see what you mean Mudassir. Although technically Stephen Jones is a CdG collaboration with Jones (so was Hinoki, with Monocle and the latest H&M).

Although the CdG releases as of late (Energy Series, 8 88) have left me cold also. These are not 'new classics' that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Great Review Mike! As always, you paint a vivid picture. The price sounds steep for what it is. On a side note, I feel Hinoki is outstanding! (sorry for the plug)
    The price is steep. However so is Hinoki IMO. I just think Hinoki was much more necessary to own for me. SJ, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love Stephen Jones by CdG. I just can't pull it off. It's like wearing one of his big, couture hats in the real world.
    I find CdG's Luxe line rather disappointing, presenting LOUD as avante-garde is a bit underwhelming. After all, Guerlain's Insolence trounces Stephen Jones in the loud/avante-garde department with little more ambition than a guaranteed shelf space at Sephora.
    Ruggles you could totally pull off SJ! Seriously, I know what you mean. It aint Vol de Nuit parfum, that's for sure.

I don't think of SJ as intending to be 'loud' like Insolence, as you mentioned. I think it's wonderfully medium-pitched. I compare it much more to Dans Tes Bras: Wearable violet abstract fragrance art.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st February 2009 at 03:04 PM.

How does SJ compare with Hinoki in matter of lasting power/sillage?
    Thank you!

Glad you like it. I thought my sample would have been better spent with you, since I can't do reviews.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    A review that certainly increased my curiosity, thanks Mike! Must give this one a try. I'm not a big fan of aldehydes, either, and violet notes can be catastrophic on my skin, but there are always exceptions and this might be one of them...
    Please try it S and let us know what you think. Aldehydes are tricky, describing them and their olfactory effect can be more difficult than describing florals or woods.

In addition, violet behaves so differently in so many different fragrances. The SJ violet/violet leaf note is very distinct. Very crisp, for lack of a better word. Worlds away from a candied / toilet water violet note.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Thats it ! Mike you are a genius , for years Ive wondered why I hate No 5 so much and you have just answered it ... hairspray
    If you don't like hairspray accords, avoid Insolence EdT by Guerlain and Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle which both feature it (Roucel did both).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    How does SJ compare with Hinoki in matter of lasting power/sillage?
    Thank you!
    I can't answer that. Here's why: I have a full bottle of Hinoki which I can apply adequately. I only sampled a teensy 1 ml of SJ. It's not fair for me to comment on the longevity/sillage of SJ unless I can give it a full application/wearing.

Having said that, I like the longevity/sillage I got from SJ. I'd say it was average. By no means is it strong. Which is a good thing. Strong aldehydes = headache.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Glad you like it. I thought my sample would have been better spent with you, since I can't do reviews.
    Much appreciated friend.

I mostly smell lots of damp tea leaves (as though they've been left in the teapot), and "cold" violets. It doesn't seem like anything burned to me.
    It's interesting, will give it another wear from the sample soon.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    I mostly smell lots of damp tea leaves (as though they've been left in the teapot), and "cold" violets. It doesn't seem like anything burned to me.
    It's interesting, will give it another wear from the sample soon.
    Damp tea leaves - hmm...I don't remember that accord. Interesting.

I didn't say it smelled burned. The synthetic accord I mentioned smells like a warm copier toner cartridge. Warmed metal, plastic, ink...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't say it smelled burned. The synthetic accord I mentioned smells like a warm copier toner cartridge. Warmed metal, plastic, ink...etc.
    My mistake

Sniffing it again now, soapy tingly aldehydes, damp tea leaves, cold violets and I totally get that copier toner note. That's the note I couldn't put a name to!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    ...I totally get that copier toner note. That's the note I couldn't put a name to!
    Ah - glad to hear it.

Having worked for many years in office management, I know first hand the smell of the interior of a warm copy machine. I remember my first part-time job working in a high school administration office we had those god awful GIGANTIC copiers since schools make tons of copies for the teachers (this was before the internet) and the machine was the size of a small car. It filled up the 'copy room' (we called it) and the smell inside that room was the smell above I described.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd February 2009 at 11:10 PM.