Code of Conduct

Question Blind buy- Patchouli

As some guys have noticed,Iīm a patchouli freak and I was wondering what patchouli fragrances would you recommend for blind buying ?!
    Last edited by Zoso777; 20th February 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: Blind buy- Patchouli

None Blind. You have to sample or don't blame us if they don't work out.

But...
    Etro Patchouly
    Patchouli Leaves - Montale (amber and vanilla too)
    Body Shop Patchouli Oil (cheap but good)

No,no...I wouldnīt blame you because I know the risk of that!

BTW, Iīve got Etro Patch yesterday (blind) and Iīm still trying to like it...but it smeels like Kourus for me. I like something more woody. Thatīs why I DO know the risks of blind buying

Patchouly Indonesiano
    by Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 is at luckyscent.com

Just dry, beautiful, patchouli. Airy but present. Too expensive for a blind buy in my opinion.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lothantique Patchouly is inexpensive and wonderful
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hindu Grass a different (green) take on the note...by Nasomatto

I don't know there are so many really.

Profumum Patchouly is beautiful but way pricey.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 20th February 2009 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks for your reply !

Les Nereides Patchouli Antique is a worthy contender and is relatively cheaper than the rest...

Montale Patchouli Leaves! is the bomb

I would have to say Patchouli Leaves as well. It is one of the few patchouli dominant fragrances that doesn't go rancid on me. It is quite expensive though.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

That Lothantique Patch is dirt cheap. Care to describe it, Jock_With_Scents? I can't find a review of it anywhere.

How much to you want to spend and how strong to you want it? I've tried a few dozen patchoulis, and they all have their own unique qualities. My 'holy grail' patchouli is Reminiscence Paris Patchouli Elixir EdP. It's very rich, very strong.

Montale's Patchouli Leaves is as strong as they come. If you want less punch, but good quality, try the entries from Santa Maria Novella, Etro, Mazzolari, or Farmacia SS Anunziata.

If you'd like a slightly lighter take on patchouli try Ave Luxe Sweet Patchouli, iDpF Dolce Patchouly, or Memoire Liquide Terre Noir Patchouli (which I'm sampling right now).

The smoothest patchouli ever is Jalaine Patchouli

For part patchouli/part other accords (i.e. rose, cocoa, etc.), there's SL Borneo 1834, Chanel Coromandel, Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengence, and Histoire de Parfums Noir Patchouli

How's that for recommendations?

Of course, it is up to you to do whatever you want. But I cannot stress strongly enough that buying blind is a source of great heartbreak and sorrow for a very large percentage of fragrance aficionados. I myself have suffered greatly from buying blind. It is true that buying blind does seem to work out alright for some folks, but for the majority of folks I do not think this is true.

That being said, a really wonderful patchouli fragrance that is favored by a great many Basenoters is Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The opening of Voleur de Roses smells of an earthly masculine rose following a rain shower, including the smell of the earth that the rose is growing in, and also the leaves of the rose bush, and also the plum tree growing next to the rose bush. All of this sits on a seamless base of patchouli, and when the rose disappears after a couple of hours, the patchouli that is still there in the dry-down is indeed very pleasing. I highly recommend Voleur de Roses.

Note there is another patchouli post that came online here a day ago with some good recommendations - you could check that out.

It's always best to test. Luckyscent caries many patchouli frags. Order up some samples and they will arrive in a few days to test away.

Some good patchouli to try are:

McCallef Patchouli
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Patchouli Patch
    Nerides Patchouli
    Nasomatto Hindu Grass
    Borneo 1834, Serge Lutens
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st February 2009 at 03:25 PM.

Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli and Profumum Thundra.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

One of my recent patchouli loves is Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. I also love Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe (amber, booze, patchouli, incense) and Bois 1920 Real Patchouly. Coromandel is a cleaned up patch--I love it, but sometimes it does not satisfy me if I want a really dark patchouli.

I have sampled Les Neriedes Patchouli Antique, and I agree it is a great value. Patchouli Leaves by Montale sometimes goes sour on my skin--I have not had consistent luck with any of the Montale line. L'Artisan does not impress me--most of their fragrances seem simple, weak and short lived (except for Dzing!), and I found Patchouli Patch to be rather boring but also extremely straightforward.

I haven't tried Mazzolari Patchouli, but Mazzolari Lui is also heavy on patchouli, even if it is not the primary ingredient. I have heard great things about Profumum Patchouli, but I have not tried it yet.
    Last edited by Asha; 21st February 2009 at 04:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Blind buy- Patchouli

I have to say that patchouli noire is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Patchouly Indonesiano
    by Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 is at luckyscent.com

Just dry, beautiful, patchouli. Airy but present. Too expensive for a blind buy in my opinion.
    I second this fragrance!!! I still can't get enough of it.
    (I bought it blind too!)

My personal favorite is Patchouli by Jalaine. The others just don't match the quality of this gem.

Smile Re: Blind buy- Patchouli

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    How much to you want to spend and how strong to you want it? I've tried a few dozen patchoulis, and they all have their own unique qualities. My 'holy grail' patchouli is Reminiscence Paris Patchouli Elixir EdP. It's very rich, very strong.

Montale's Patchouli Leaves is as strong as they come. If you want less punch, but good quality, try the entries from Santa Maria Novella, Etro, Mazzolari, or Farmacia SS Anunziata.

If you'd like a slightly lighter take on patchouli try Ave Luxe Sweet Patchouli, iDpF Dolce Patchouly, or Memoire Liquide Terre Noir Patchouli (which I'm sampling right now).

The smoothest patchouli ever is Jalaine Patchouli

For part patchouli/part other accords (i.e. rose, cocoa, etc.), there's SL Borneo 1834, Chanel Coromandel, Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengence, and Histoire de Parfums Noir Patchouli

How's that for recommendations?
    Love the Jalaine. It's really gorgeous. A little sweet, but definitely unisex. And I agree with Borneo 1834..I find it more patchouli than cacao. Wonderfully earthy.

Montale Patchouli Leaves as has been suggested (as well as others.. Nasomatto, Profumum, etc). I'd add Bois 1920 Real Patchouly. That line is really high quality. Beauty Encounter sells them for $20 less than LS, and often offers discounts like 20% off plus free shipping, that make the Bois line really pretty reasonable! (I got my Sushi Imperiale for $112 shipped)

On the other hand - I really dislike Comme des Garcons Luxe Patchouli. I'm not sure, but I think it has an Immortelle note in it that becomes more and more apparent in the dry down (and I'm finding that it's one of the only notes I can't agree with).

Thank you all for the new replies! I was out and haven't seem them. I will try some tips and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

I own Reminiscence Elixir and I donīt say itīs my Holy Grail due to its chocolate beginning smell but itīs a very nice perfume. I like strong Patchouli since I can put less and in the end save some money...

Maybe I`m still in the search of the Holy Patchouli! As I said in other thread, I love the following characteristics in a perfume: oriental,woody,incense,smoky...the problem is that I havenīt found patchouli that way. I love the incense smell of some "new age" stores but I was not able to find a fragrance with "that" scent. I love CDG incense line but I could not find any Patchouli perfume with a incense stick smell like