Code of Conduct

Default CHYPRE: a memorie....

Mexico , mid 80s

I remember it well , myself a kid , playing in the living room with his starwars action figures.....not minding anything around but just the story im imagining in where princess leia is gonna be rescued again from three mercifulless ghosts ( that by the way , were from another set of toys , jejejeje ghostbusters) .

My mom just got out of the shower and was getting ready to go out with dad , cuz my brother was graduating from high school , and the mass was schedule at 6 pm. dad had already shower and dress up , and wore a little dab of aftershave ( he has never been a perfume guy)...nevertheless it smell clean and great.

But then a very powerfull smell came from the room where my mom was......a scent full of power ,

a scent that altought it was femenine ( at that time) was more overhealming ( is that correct?? ) that the scent of my dad cologne ....

then a goodess emerged from the room....not a femine girly goodess , not aphrodite or a nymph.....no

it was Hera , or Athena clad in a ladylike attire , wearing a scent that reminded me that there are things in life that can give you a little power , a little command , or can impose over other people....

my dad knew this and greeted my mom with a smile...then , they parted away...and only the trail of that scent permated the room.....

the scent of Givenchy III.....

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

By the way my mom passed away two years ago...and i miss her a lot .....but the memorie of her is always hand to hand with the memorie of her perfume.....

that is why i became a fragance addict.....

oh..in her last days my mom wore Opium by YSL

favorites of her : Calandre , Givenchy III , No 19 , Opium , Rochas Femme , White Diamonds , Pavlova . Y by YSL

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

now im here in my late 20s almost getting to the 30s....and wearing a lot of fragances....but i always envied that kind of power she transmited when she used those perfumes....

give me your impressions.....

chypres i would like to wear

Givenchy III ( i have a vintage mini)
    Ysl Y
    No 19
    Femme ( altought i cant get past the name jejeje )

GOOD DAY TO ALL....

Default Re: CHYPRE: a memorie....

I have and love my vintage Givenchy III. The reformulation is good, but per JaimeB's review not as good as the vintage. It's worth hunting down a bottle, though they are getting pricey.

Very nice post, pescobarjl; thanks for shariing your memory with us. It's also touching that your list of chypres you'd like to wear is the same as your mother's. Wear them as a remembrance of her.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Great post, I love reminisences like this - about associations with perfumes and why they are important to us.
    Thanks for for sharing your story .

Have you tried the classic guerlains?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 21st February 2009 at 05:33 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Great post, I love reminisences like this - about associations with perfumes and why they are important to us.
    Thanks for for sharing your story .

Have you tried the classic guerlains?

Yes , right now i own Shalimar EDT and L'heure Bleue EDT...im looking to buy Mitsouko and L' heure in EDP concentrations...

Touching story and I'll bet most of us can relate. Thanks for sharing with us.

Such a concrete, real account of your memory. Thanks, beautiful post.

Basenotes Institution

Wonderful story.

You, sir, need to try Mitsouko by Guerlain. Try the Eau de Toilette or the Eau de Parfum. Get vintage juice if you can, but even if you can't the new on-the-shelf stuff is very good. This stuff is reference chypre.

I love the story, in part because it captures how I often feel when wearing Givenchy III.

Blog Entries

I feel the same way about 'Arpege' which is what my mother wore. It always was nice to see her dressed up & smelling so good. It's sad they don't make it that way any more. It just isn't the same. The vintage aren't the same either. I have one that is very good but it's from the wrong era. The one I need is from the 60's & under pressure.

Thank you for sharing!
    It's a beautiful moment in time...

Thank you for sharing. I hope you find the perfect Chypre and may it always transport you to that happy place of your childhood.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The first three you mention your Mom wearing, Calandre, Givenchy III, and Chanel No. 19 are beautiful. I have and wear them all. My mom had stuff from Myrurgia when I was a kid: the original Maja, Flor de Blasón, and Maderas de Oriente. The memories of the actual scents are faint, but of her wearing them and their effect on me at the time are still very strong.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Smile Re: CHYPRE: a memorie....

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    The first three you mention your Mom wearing, Calandre, Givenchy III, and Chanel No. 19 are beautiful. I have and wear them all. My mom had stuff from Myrurgia when I was a kid: the original Maja, Flor de Blasón, and Maderas de Oriente. The memories of the actual scents are faint, but of her wearing them and their effect on me at the time are still very strong.
    My mom used to buy Maja soaps and put them in her drower...so everytime she open it her clothes caught the smell of it....she also used the body powder.....

now that i think it ,,,,,i see that my mom was a perfume addict like me!!!!

Basenotes Institution

My grandmother still has Maja soap in her clothing drawers. Just smelling the scent instantly makes me think of her.

you had me at "Mexico"*
    Awesome story man.
    Maja soaps... oh the memories. I agree with hirch_duckfinder when he says that you should try the older guerlains. Other good chypres are Tiffany, and the best of them all, the discontinued Domenico Caraceni.

(I think the word you were looking for is "overwhelming")
    * See the first definition if you do not get it http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...e%20at%20hello
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by irish;1443581
    (I think the word you were looking for is "overwhelming")
    * See the first definition if you do not get it [url
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you%20had%20me%20at%20hello[/url]

that's the one...thanks

gracias amigo!