Code of Conduct

Default im tkaing the costly, in my opinion neccesary plunge into the world of niche

ok hello folks, im 16 and have been so pleased with this site since joining and have greatly appreciated all the help given me. i wear fragrances correctly now as i used to over apply way too much and i have accquired a good amount of quality scents. but the thing is they are all designer and are not even the most complex of designers. i own very popular scents, ranging from d and g pour homme to chanel allure. i have decided it is time to go niche and get some truly quality scents that wont break the bank mad as my parents will be paying, lol, and that surpass my designers as favs. £80 maximum is good. ok so the scent i am kind of looking for is a rose scent. i want a scent which smells likes a valley, if that makes sense, with roses but not feminine. if you know of a niche like this then please let me know. also suggest some niches i could get based on my top 5 designers.
    chanel allure
    dolce and gabbana pour homme
    dolce and gabbana the one
    212 men
    chanel platinum egoiste
    thank you for any help fellow basenoters.

sorry about spelling mistake in title.
    Last edited by avfcdamian92; 21st February 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Default Re: im tkaing the costly, in my opinion neccesary plunge into the world of niche

A good masculine rose that will be under 80 pounds is Parfums de Rosine Rose d'Homme.

I don't know about the cost in pounds, but 50ml bottles of Montale Aoud Damascus might come in right around your limit.

Good luck! I took my niche plunge about 7 months ago and I've never looked back.

Default Re: im tkaing the costly, in my opinion neccesary plunge into the world of niche

Heyy! Another 16 yr old! Howdy

I went niche 4 months ago and I dont actually touch my designer frag anymore... (Im not sure whether or not thats a good thing...)

For a great niche at around £80/bottle... Check Montale- 50 or 100ml... Montales range and quality is fantastic.

Good luck Enjoyy
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Just a reminder: niche by no means signifies better quality in itself. Don't forget it's the same perfumers working with the same ingredients. If it's a good company like Malle, then they will have more time, money, and creative freedom in developing the fragrance - which still does no mean YOU will necessary like the result. But please be warned there is plenty of "niche" out there that is nothing but a scam - cheap dreck in expensive packaging and with a pseudo-exclusive aura.

In any event at those price levels you really should make an investment into decant from TPC or the like. No review or suggestion can guarantee that you will enjoy the fragrance.

Now as to rose:
    "like a valley" - if that means fresh, green, damp there's a thread going on where someone is asking for just that with many suggestions.

Here's some I think are worth trying:
    The Different Company Rose Poivrée - spicy fruity
    Acqua di Parma Colonia - a citrus cologne with a beautiful rose/ylang heart
    C&S No. 88 - a classic masculine rose
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie - beautiful rose&saffron.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

thank you so much for the answers folks. Great sounding suggestions, i will certainly look into them all. any other suggestions are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by avfcdamian92 View Post
    i have decided it is time to go niche
    You and me both, dude.

Just a few rose-involved scents I will sample over the next few weeks:

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Amouage Lyric for Men
    Czech and Speake No. 88
    Diptyque L'Ombre dans l'Eau
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Guerlain Imperiale
    Montale Aoud Damascus
    Montale Black Aoud
    Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet

Most of those are really expensive so even though I won't be purchasing full bottles in all likelihood, I feel that even just sampling them is a necessary step for my education in fragrance.

I couldn't tell you if any of them smell "like a valley" but sometimes in searching for one thing you find others you never knew you were looking for, so...

EDIT: I should add that I am 22, which may or may not make a difference with respect to the above scents and my interest in them. Jeez, I can barely remember being 16...
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 21st February 2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Curmudgeonly caveat

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Just a reminder: niche by no means signifies better quality in itself. Don't forget it's the same perfumers working with the same ingredients. If it's a good company like Malle, then they will have more time, money, and creative freedom in developing the fragrance - which still does no mean YOU will necessary like the result. But please be warned there is plenty of "niche" out there that is nothing but a scam - cheap dreck in expensive packaging and with a pseudo-exclusive aura.

In any event at those price levels you really should make an investment into decant from TPC or the like. No review or suggestion can guarantee that you will enjoy the fragrance.

Now as to rose:
    "like a valley" - if that means fresh, green, damp there's a thread going on where someone is asking for just that with many suggestions.

Here's some I think are worth trying:
    The Different Company Rose Poivrée - spicy fruity
    Acqua di Parma Colonia - a citrus cologne with a beautiful rose/ylang heart
    C&S No. 88 - a classic masculine rose
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie - beautiful rose&saffron.
    I agree completely with what you say about niche not equaling higher quality. I'm just wondering which niche houses you think put out a truly superior product versus which do not.

Back on topic! A second vote for C & S 88 though I'm not sure it smells like a valley. Still, it's a gorgeous, complex and somewhat masculine rose. I also like Le Prince Jardinier Bouton de Rose very much. AND it's not going to break the bank, so your parents will thank me!

Good luck. Such a sophisticated 16 year old you are!

Well for a 16 year old, I would definately suggest a citrus or at least definately on the sweeter/fruitier side of things. I know that when I was 16, I would never like a musky, heavy scent because it was what my dad wore and i would attribute that scent to an "old man's scent". The one I would suggest is Maitre Parfumer et Gantier's Bahiana. The summer is coming up and this is a tropical, fruity fragrance that I know any girl would love. It smells absolutely divine and would be the perfect fragrance for you.

If you would like more information, just give me a PM.