Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Antaeus review

It finally arrived! My "tester" bottle of Antaeus, "vintage", from eBay. Comparing to a more recent, "reformulated" bottle I got a few weeks ago - one on each arm.

These are my thoughts through the day:

1. The Vintage bottle sprays out much more EDT - probably 2-3X the volume per spray. It's a more... satisfying spray too. On the other hand, the newer sprayer is more "precise" - if you want less EDT on yourself, the new sprayer is your man. Top notes - vintage is somehow "greener" to me, more... perfumy. Contrary to what I was expecting, the Vintage Antaeus presents much more of a top-middle-basenote progression than the more linear "new" version.

2. 10 minutes in... the scents are starting to diverge noticeably. The New smells like what I think to be Antaeus, the Vintage smells more like... a man WEARING Antaeus. Does that make sense? I smell the Vintage, and my brain pictures/remembers what my father (who wore Polo) smelled like. Weird.

3. 20 minutes in... why is it that cologne smells MORE powerful after about 20 minutes?? Whatever the "wood" smell is in the Vintage smells drier to me, the New "wetter". DW's preference? At this point, New Antaeus. She kind of turns her nose up at both.

4. 40 minutes in. New Antaeus begins to smell slightly like my grandfather - an unattractive stage IMHO (sorry, grandpa). Vintage Antaeus smells... cleaner, like a freshly showered, musky, perfumed man in a clean crisp shirt. Like my dad getting ready for work. At this stage, to wear Vintage Antaeus, one would need to be a confident man displaying a confident fragrance (like my dad), rather than vice versa, to pull the whole thing off.

5. 6 Hours in. For the past several hours, the Vintage Antaeus has been losing a lot of its "oomph", and what remains is a pretty "classical" type of perfumy aura. A little more formal, a little more traditional. New Antaeus has maintained a greater depth and longevity, perhaps muskier and likely more noticeable?

At least, that's what I thought. I asked DW again what she liked, and without hesitation, she pointed at Vintage Antaeus over the New.

So what can I say? I'm keeping them both. Full-day wears of each fragrance are in my future...

At the end of the day... I say get whichever is cheaper. Other frags are likely much different vintage-vs-new than these two. They're both kick-ass.

Apparently in this case, they DO make 'em like they used to.

Default Re: Vintage Antaeus review

Thank you for your review and the comparison between the new and old Antaeus!

I happen to like both as well.

AromiErotici

Nice to know !!! I have only worn the vintage Antaeus and Sport Antaeus. The reformulation sounds good to go from your review.

Awesome, I don't think I've read a direct comparison of both here on Basenotes. I bought a new bottle a few months ago and wondered what the differences were. Whatever people say about the new one, it's an awesome scent with unparalleled longevity.

yeah hows the sillage on the reformulated antaeus. i really want a good sillage buster, and i smelt antaneus on a card and wow.

Great post. I get a lot out of this sort of comparison thing. Further impressions during and after a full wearing would be really interesting. I like the new, haven't had a chance to try the vintage. But it does seem to me that the new version is missing something in the low end that I don't have the expertise to pin down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Great post. I get a lot out of this sort of comparison thing. Further impressions during and after a full wearing would be really interesting. I like the new, haven't had a chance to try the vintage. But it does seem to me that the new version is missing something in the low end that I don't have the expertise to pin down.
    They are quite a bit different. The vintage is dirtier and more leathery as opposed to current one, which is more powdery/floral.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    They are quite a bit different. The vintage is dirtier and more leathery as opposed to current one, which is more powdery/floral.
    How much better do you prefer the vintage Mudassir ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    How much better do you prefer the vintage Mudassir ?

Quite a bit actually. I think it would have been better if Chanel released the new one with a different name. I prefer the older one because those kind of scents are more to my liking. There were some discussions a while back regarding how muc different the current Hermes Bel Ami is from the vintage one. I think the same applies to Antaeus as well. Antaeus' might as well me more different than Bel Amis are.

AromiErotici

Quite a bit actually. I think it would have been better if Chanel released the new one with a different name. I prefer the older one because those kind of scents are more to my liking. There were some discussions a while back regarding how muc different the current Hermes Bel Ami is from the vintage one. I think the same applies to Antaeus as well. Antaeus' might as well me more different than Bel Amis are.
    Understood. The newer Antaeus may appeal to guys who like a more floral fragrance. Since I've never tried it, I cannot say. I do love the original though. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 9 to me.

I think it's somewhat the same discussion as with the vintage Vetiver/reformulated Vetiver. Yet, at any rate, it seems that the old Antaeus should have never been reformulated and while I have no particular complaints about the new one, it seems that reformulation does an immense injustice to most great scents- it takes away the manly, elegant and unique notes and makes them more appealing to the mass- market.

I'll second the vintage being more herbal than the reformulated version--specifically the clary sage top. For what it's worth, I prefer the reformulated version.
    Last edited by gimpy; 24th February 2009 at 06:10 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Vintage Antaeus: Tried to be Van Cleef & Arpels pH then got reformulated (read watered down) Okay, okay, hurl only light rocks please
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

can anyone tell when did the reformulated version appeared?

i`m trying to get the old version to compare the two just like olafurson. I found couple of sales on eBay claiming their bottle is 10 years old (they don`t mention it`s vintage, or anything). would that be enough to consider testing one of those as probably being the original version?

I have both and it is really a puzzle: I find top notes are quite different, however, the dry down is similar but... the new version's drydown is more powdery. I can not help tracing some associations with my GrandPa. This does not happen with the vintage version.

I prefer the old version, is more complex and richer, and the leather notes were evident. I will be looking for one bottle in the months to come. Hope finding one.

Blog Entries

I promised a couple of you guys picutres of differences between Antaeus a while back. Sorry about the delay. The shrink-wrapped box on the left is vintage, and the one on right is the current one. The bottle on the right is vintage, and on the left is current one. Here they are:

AromiErotici

Nice comparison pics bro. The box is easier to tell since "Eau de Toilette" is above CHANEL, but the bottles themselves are a little tougher to discern.

Many thanks Mudassir. The photos are much appreciated.

Is there any difference with the spray mechanisms?

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 25th June 2009 at 03:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Nice comparison pics bro. The box is easier to tell since "Eau de Toilette" is above CHANEL, but the bottles themselves are a little tougher to discern.
    The cap's top area of vintage is metal as opposed to black on the current one. But you are right; it will be hard to tell if there is no cap. But then again, one says Eau de Toilette and the other doesn't
    Last edited by Mudassir; 25th June 2009 at 03:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Many thanks Mudassir. The photos are much appreciated.

Is there any difference with the spray mechanisms?

scentemental
    Scentemental,
    Unfortunately, I traded away my current Antaeus earlier this week, and don't recall the spray mechanism (whether it was plastic or metal). But the sprayer itself is all metal on the vintage one.

Scentemental,
    Unfortunately, I traded away my current Antaeus earlier this week, and don't recall the spray mechanism (whether it was plastic or metal). But the sprayer itself is all metal on the vintage one.
    Thanks for the follow up info. Mudassir. Perhaps someone who has a current bottle could tell us about the bottle's spray mechanism or even post a photo.

scentemental

I have a newer bottle of Antaeus, but I've had it for three or four years, so the sprayer design could have changed since then.

The sprayer on my bottle is silver colored, but I think it is coated plastic rather than all metal. It has a medium action, is smooth, and projects a goodly amount of juice.

I got a 1 oz bottle in a swap. It's clear glass with a black cap, splash style. Anyone know if this is vintage?

is anyone aware of a way to obtain vintage antaeus?

Last weekend I won an eBay-auction for a 50ml bottle of vintage Antaeus and it arrived today. Inital euphoria didn't last very long though because when I examined the (still) shrinkwrapped box I found several strange anomalies that make it seem like I have actually received a counterfeit product. Since I have never seen the original box so far, I'd love to here a second (or third) opinion about it before I go and complain about the (private) seller.

Please let me know what you think...
    Imageshack-gallery with 8 pics of the box

Last edited by Nasenmann; 1st October 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Looks like my vintage, less the whitestripe/patch. Hard to tell from the photo is it a patch? How does it smell?

The white parts are not patches, somebody seems to have cut out those parts of the box (just the surface-layer of the cardboard) while on the front (where it says "Chanel") it seems like if it was glued onto the box - fits very precisley though. Haven't smelled the juice because I'm not sure if it would be clever to open it, in case I have to send it back to the seller or to eBay, don't know yet.

On the pic of Mudassir's vintage box in this thread, it doesn't say "Spray" under the vord "Vintage". Is that just because it is for the 100ml-version?

I would open it and check the bottle for authenticity. It's pretty hard to open and then sealed a vaporisateur. If it was a splash, I'd be more concerned. You have every right to open it and check the bottle and scent itself given the suspicious nature of the outer cardboard.

Thank you for the answer, neal! You're probably right but I think I'll wait another day and see if there are some more replies on the matter before I go and open it.

Edit:
    Ok, all bets are off. I've contacted the seller and we agreed that I should open the box and smell the juice if it's the real deal and it is! That was kind of a relief although I have to say that a direct wrist-by-wrist comparison of vintage versus current has me leaning more towards the current version of Antaeus. I find it a bit more refined and more elegant but now I can certainly see where all those Tarzan/Rambo/hairy chest-analogies came from...
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 1st October 2010 at 11:57 PM.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eramix; 28th April 2014 at 11:32 PM.