Code of Conduct

Default Eau D'Iparie by L’Occitane: A Review.

This one isn't in the BN directory. I've sampled Creed's Angelique Encens, and it was too "old fashioned," and didn't work with my skin chemistry. This one does. In fact, it provided what I hoped Egoiste would, and that is a nice fruit (meaning not super sweet) with something else of interest. The notes are: Red pepper, Rose, Patchouli, Ciste Labdanum, Myrrh, Incense, Vanilla, Moss, and the mix is just right. It's also better than Avon's Mesmerize for men, which apparently was trying for something similar, but decided to go "masculine," and is a bit too sharp and not as well balanced. I'm surprised I only found one online seller offering this (other than samples), but it's a good price (about $41 for 100 ml). I've read one review (elsewhere) that said it smelled like rotten fruit due to skin chemistry, and I wouldn't be surprised, but for mine, this is definitely FBW, if only I didn't have so many bottles already. I do have a large decant of this, and I'll be looking for a "steal" on ebay. Longevity was excellent and sillage good (2 sprays to chest).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd February 2009 at 03:47 AM.

Default Re: Eau D'Iparie by L’Occitane: A Review.

It just so happens I've got a mini (15ml) on my sale thread... not that it's a bad fragrance at all, in fact I quite like it. I just don't find myself reaching for it that often. Usually myrrh-heavy fragrances are bitter, but the labdanum and vanilla really brighten this up without being too sweet. It's really an amber/myrrh. Just want to make sure you also know you can always order directly from L'Occitane very inexpensively (that is, if you don't want my mini ;-) )

Well, I can see reaching for it once a month, and that's really all I look for in a frag these days. It's certainly unique enough, pleasant enough, and technically sound. If it was too similar to one of my other ones, I wouldn't be that interested. And I can probably get rid of Mesmerize now, because this is clearly better. Also, I find myself not thinking about "masterpieces" these days, but rather having a great variety of excellent frags. I'll have to sample again, but as I said, if I can find an ebay "steal deal," I'll be sure to grab it.

I really like this - bought a bottle on sale in a local l'Occitane store. I find it very similar to CdG EdP, though not quite as complex.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

On the L'Occitane website it isn't listed among the men's fragrances but as a woman's fragrance.

I picked this up on sale at L'Occitane in the local mall.
    I agree with Bigsly's review in many ways. The only exception is I don't get as much of a fruit aspect with it.
    The winner of this is the myrrh for me and then the vanilla feels just right in the base.
    I can't imagine why L'Occitane would market this solely under women's fragrance this is unisex trending toward masculine in my book.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 22nd February 2009 at 09:39 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I don't get the fruit either. It is a very lovely scent. I also like that L'Occitane website sells the travel size.
    Evenstar

As something of a L'Occitane fan can I recommend you try something very unusual.

Mix in a 50/50 blend L'Occitane's Ambre with L'Ipirie, it's astonishing.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    On the L'Occitane website it isn't listed among the men's fragrances but as a woman's fragrance.
    As SMM said, Eau d'Iparis is most definitely unisex, as nearly all the L'Occitane fragrances are. They probably list them under 'feminine' because that's their core consumer, but for fragrance aficionados their tea fragrances, citrus fragrances, and even some of the florals (ie lavender) are unisex. The masculines are very good and fairly underrated. Eau des Baux, my favorite, is fantastic. The 'Notre Flores' EdP line is good as well, particularly the Cedar EdP.

I like the idea of mixing the EdIP with Ambre, sounds like it would work well. Perhaps I'll try it with a different amber.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    As something of a L'Occitane fan can I recommend you try something very unusual.

Mix in a 50/50 blend L'Occitane's Ambre with L'Ipirie, it's astonishing.
    I´ll give this a go
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I have an "unlisted" (I'll call it that) frag that seems to be mostly amber, vanilla, and sandalwood, and it's very well blended. I'll try layering with that one at some point.

Getting interested in this frag. I like L'Occitane, they produce very wearable fragrances, but they're mostly subdued and don't have great longevity.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!