Code of Conduct

Default To juice or not to juice ; Montale

Did i make a mistake ? I ordered another White Auod from Montale with the extra juice added. The one i already own is the regular version AND my most complimented cologne ever !!!! every time out, i get the " how great i smell compliment" and is the main reason i am buying a second bottle. So if any basenoter who have smelled both version of White Auod chime in please.
    Last edited by cmax; 23rd February 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Default Re: To juice or not to juice ; Montale

well, IMHO extra doent mean BETTER! it just mean MORE witch is a different thing than plesure and quality.

that hepend to me with OUD LIME. i shouldint have orderd more juice.

actually the Red Auod that i purchased have extra juice, and it smells great but my Black and White doesn't. i just hope that i made the right choice on this one.

i have black with extra i bought off a basenoter......i like it better without the extra, but i could see how its ok with the black aoud.black aoud is aoud and rose pretty much end of story for the life of it. now my take on white aoud is waiting for the aoud to burn off so you get that nice powdery vanilla rose drydown. so by getting the extra aoud its almost like making a combo of black and white aoud. i think i want a white aoud but i wouldnt get it with the extra....kinda defeats the purpose....but thats just my opinion. i just had a choice of white aoud or royal aoud and i bought royal i wish i didnt. royal smells great till the total drydown then its like pure aoud. i wish i bought the white.
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 23rd February 2009 at 06:53 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

When y'all take about extra juice, do you mean extra oud or extra parfum? I used to think the option was to add extra parfum, but from this conversation it seems like it's just adding oud oil.

White Aoud, one of my favorites, is all about balance. Dredmahawkus is right - the transition from oud to amber is the key to the whole fragrance. I think extra oud would ruin that effect.

I'm not sure what a great idea adding just extra oud oil is to most of the fragrances. Black I could see, and maybe Cuir d'Arabie, but most of them are fairly well balanced. If you love oud and gotta have it, I guess it's nice to have the option.

Im really glad to see a thread on this, cause I've been wondering it myself for an age- What is the difference between Black Aoud and Black Aoud with the extra oils- is there ANY chance that anyone could possibly do a side by side or anything? I'm contemplating the extra conc for either BA or Aoud Roses Petals...

Also... if anyone has a sample of an Aoud frag with extra kick for sale pretty please drop me a P.M.

Thanks a million to all who reply!
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    When y'all take about extra juice, do you mean extra oud or extra parfum? I used to think the option was to add extra parfum, but from this conversation it seems like it's just adding oud oil.

White Aoud, one of my favorites, is all about balance. Dredmahawkus is right - the transition from oud to amber is the key to the whole fragrance. I think extra oud would ruin that effect.

I'm not sure what a great idea adding just extra oud oil is to most of the fragrances. Black I could see, and maybe Cuir d'Arabie, but most of them are fairly well balanced. If you love oud and gotta have it, I guess it's nice to have the option.
    yes i'm talking about extra oud

Quote Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
    Im really glad to see a thread on this, cause I've been wondering it myself for an age- What is the difference between Black Aoud and Black Aoud with the extra oils- is there ANY chance that anyone could possibly do a side by side or anything? I'm contemplating the extra conc for either BA or Aoud Roses Petals...

Also... if anyone has a sample of an Aoud frag with extra kick for sale pretty please drop me a P.M.

Thanks a million to all who reply!
    like i said earlier i have the Red with extra juice and i like it better than the original from a sample i had. to me it made it a more mature scent or the original was more for the younger. , if that makes any sense

also Angel i don't remember who it was on here, but they said they prefered the BA with the extra kick and sold his original one. hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

I think extra oud would ruin that effect.
    I agree, I think extra amber would be a better idea.

The "extra" refers to added perfume concentrate, not extra oud oil. They increase the perfume oil concentation by about 5% up to 25%-30%.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    The "extra" refers to added perfume concentrate, not extra oud oil. They increase the perfume oil concentation by about 5% up to 25%-30%.
    thanks for the clarifications. i always thought they added more auod, that's what i get for thinking .

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Exactly. If it were extra oud oil, not only would it drastically change the balance of the fragrance, it would increase the cost drastically, assuming they use real oud oil. I think they do use real oud though it is cultivated not wild harvested and the quantity of oud oil on the Aoud line is fairly minimal.
    HD, are you sure of the %'s? They are EdP to start so I would have thought the % to be higher to begin with.

I think you will be happy with the extra perfume oil because you already like the fragrance. IMO, it adds some extra depth but it doesn't necessarily make it overwhelming or too strong to wear and enjoy.

My bottle of BA has the extra concentration, and I love it. I don't see any dynamic difference in development from my sample, just a louder, more pronounced, extended kick. Amazing juice.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    My bottle of BA has the extra concentration, and I love it. I don't see any dynamic difference in development from my sample, just a louder, more pronounced, extended kick. Amazing juice.

mine does too i bought off a basenoter......all i can tell you is all you need is like 1 squirt and you can smell it for a week lol.

i think i have to get a white...it is an excellent fragrance how it changes from the aoud/rose to a amber aoud rose to vanilla amber.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Exactly. If it were extra oud oil, not only would it drastically change the balance of the fragrance, it would increase the cost drastically, assuming they use real oud oil. I think they do use real oud though it is cultivated not wild harvested and the quantity of oud oil on the Aoud line is fairly minimal.
    HD, are you sure of the %'s? They are EdP to start so I would have thought the % to be higher to begin with.

I think you will be happy with the extra perfume oil because you already like the fragrance. IMO, it adds some extra depth but it doesn't necessarily make it overwhelming or too strong to wear and enjoy.

Evogel, not certain of the %s. I do seem to remember being told they increased the concentration from 25-30% in my royal oud "extra". But then I wondered if it was actually 20-25%. I know there was a 25% in there somewhere , not sure if it was the start point or end point.

For most of the fragrances, I think it is likely to make them less flexible. Oud Lime is incredibly strong as it is and I think extra would mean I would worry about one spray being too much in certain situations.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks for the clarification hirsch - I didn't think it made any sense to just add oud, that would ruin the balance of the fragrance.

Given the clarification, I'd love a version of White Aoud with greater concentration of parfum, that would be neat. Ditto with Oud Cuir d"Arabie!

just a update, i received my White Auod today the extra concentrate smells better to my nose, just a little better all around.

Red Vetyver with the extra juice is awesome baby!!!!!!!!!

now i have to get the white with extra....like my black with extra......i am really starting to love white....i think it might be my favorite aoud. how much was it with the extra from montale?

my stuff for sale!

From moreda I understood you can ask for extras oil or more parfume oils. With Aoud Rose Petals I went with more perfume oil ( not changing the balance of aoud and other notes) and it has powerrrrr.

Id be careful asking for more aoud alone because it could change the balance but in some it might be more welcome than in others (royal)
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    now i have to get the white with extra....like my black with extra......i am really starting to love white....i think it might be my favorite aoud. how much was it with the extra from montale?
    nothing, as long as you order it direct.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Red Vetyver with the extra juice is awesome baby!!!!!!!!!
    in didn't know RV came with extra juice. now i am curious.

Hmmm,

Im on the verge of ordering 100ml w/extra oils but Im not sure- I like BA the way it is, but Im so curious as to what its like with the extra oils... Can anyone tell me- is there anywhere that sells samples with the extra conc? I know that Montale direct are very stingy with samples...

Thanks alot

Mike
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Guy, no i have join you herre

extra perfume oil is not alway a god thing to do.
    i have oud lime with extra perfume and it did lose something because of the extra ( sounds poetic )

with roses petals, attar, BA, WA, OA , Blue amber it is great to get is in higher concentration.

i have orderd Amber and spices wich is vert concentrated already and very very expanssive, and they adviced me not to add more oil because ther will be than not mutch alcohol... so it will not evaporate and u will not smell.

so, we always like MORE but more is not alway better. it is just more..... but not always more quality or plesure!

Quote Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
    Hmmm,

Im on the verge of ordering 100ml w/extra oils but Im not sure- I like BA the way it is, but Im so curious as to what its like with the extra oils... Can anyone tell me- is there anywhere that sells samples with the extra conc? I know that Montale direct are very stingy with samples...

Thanks alot

Mike
    well all i can say is that i'm 2 for 2 on the extra oils (Red and White Auod) and both smell better with the extra. i don't know about the Black because i have the regular version of that and never smelled the extra concentrated one.

I have White Aoud in normal concentration and I can't imagine a demand for it to be stronger. The other day I sprayed it one time onto a piece of paper to smell. Then ten minutes later, I rubbed the piece of paper onto my wrist one time. Then an hour later I took a shower. Then several hours later, I could still smell White Aoud very clearly on my wrist.

I love Aoud Lime, but I'm finding that I like the drydown much better than the beginning stages. And it takes so long for the topnotes to fade away. It smells perfect, say... 24 HOURS after application!

So with White Aoud, I think I like the opening better-- it's more transparent and vibrant at the beginning. As it goes on, it smells more like powdery vanilla and an antique shop. For me, White Aoud feels slightly less masculine as it wears on. Still, it lasts forever. Aoud Lime on the other hand, gets better once the medicinal Deep-Woods Off smell dies down and the patchouli dominates.

I need to get a bottle of Black Aoud at some point. I ordered some in the "Great Swiss Montale Frenzy", but got White Aoud instead. I didn't complain, because I got an extra Aoud Lime (still NIB) and a bottle of Steam Aoud (strange one).

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    in didn't know RV came with extra juice. now i am curious.
    I believe that you can get any of their perfumes with extra perfume oil. I enquired about Oud Cuir d'Arabie last week and got a polite reply telling me that "it is very strong already, trust me" warning against ordering the juiced up version.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    well all i can say is that i'm 2 for 2 on the extra oils (Red and White Auod) and both smell better with the extra. i don't know about the Black because i have the regular version of that and never smelled the extra concentrated one.

i have the black with extra its pretty awesome!!!! nothing like putting on 4 squirts of black with extra and going to work and aggrivating everyone!

i am dyin to smell the white with extra....i think i am gonna order it blind

i usually buy from theperfumeshoppe.com they are like 140 for white aoud 100ml how much is it from montale?

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I have White Aoud in normal concentration and I can't imagine a demand for it to be stronger. The other day I sprayed it one time onto a piece of paper to smell. Then ten minutes later, I rubbed the piece of paper onto my wrist one time. Then an hour later I took a shower. Then several hours later, I could still smell White Aoud very clearly on my wrist.

I love Aoud Lime, but I'm finding that I like the drydown much better than the beginning stages. And it takes so long for the topnotes to fade away. It smells perfect, say... 24 HOURS after application!

So with White Aoud, I think I like the opening better-- it's more transparent and vibrant at the beginning. As it goes on, it smells more like powdery vanilla and an antique shop. For me, White Aoud feels slightly less masculine as it wears on. Still, it lasts forever. Aoud Lime on the other hand, gets better once the medicinal Deep-Woods Off smell dies down and the patchouli dominates.

I need to get a bottle of Black Aoud at some point. I ordered some in the "Great Swiss Montale Frenzy", but got White Aoud instead. I didn't complain, because I got an extra Aoud Lime (still NIB) and a bottle of Steam Aoud (strange one).

if you like white aouds begining then you will love black aoud..... white aoud is like taking black aoud and turning it into blue amber.....black aoud is JUST the begining of white aoud but for like 20 hours str8
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 10th March 2009 at 11:27 PM.

my stuff for sale!

i have the black with extra its pretty awesome!!!! nothing like putting on 4 squirts of black with extra and going to work and aggrivating everyone!

i am dyin to smell the white with extra....i think i am gonna order it blind

i usually buy from theperfumeshoppe.com they are like 140 for white aoud 100ml how much is it from montale?
    i paid 121 for it 2weeks ago but who knows what the american dollar may bring tommorow. if you feel like waiting 2 weeks. LOL

JUST A WARNING if you order from Montale direct, make sure you use a credit card instead of debit because you have to pay a Fee of 8 dollars i think and it's not for sure that you will get it at the exchange rate at the time of ordering .

if you like white aouds begining then you will love black aoud..... white aoud is like taking black aoud and turning it into blue amber.....black aoud is JUST the begining of white aoud but for like 20 hours str8
    Yeah, I know. I have half a sample left of Black Aoud. It was the first Montale I tried. I liked Aoud Lime better. I recently revisited Black Aoud and it's grown on me. I'm really kind of ticked that I never got my bottle-- even though they sent me a couple freebies. I might have to try to swap my spare NIB Aoud Lime for some Black Aoud at some point. Ahh, still-- as much as I think the Montales are interesting and I like having a few in my collection, I don't know if they're necessarily "me" when I wear them.