Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gucci by Gucci pour Homme?

What is your guys' take on the new Gucci by Gucci pour homme scent?

modern, or boring? :P lol

Thanks,
    Cubby, Fragrance Talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gucci by Gucci pour Homme?

It is one of my favorites. I wouldn't call it modern, but I may have a different idea of what that means. It is a great scent though. Woody and church incense smelling, very dry. It is harder to find now though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love it, but I don't think it's anything really groundbreaking. It's interesting as a woody chypre - which to me means that it bridges the category I like on me (woody) and one of the ones that I like on women (chypre). Most of all, though, I think that the women's scent, Gucci by Gucci EDP (eau de parfum) really rocks on my wife. That scent is almost but not quite wearable by an "average" guy according to today's standards (it's probably too femme for most guys, but it's not that far over the imaginary line in current North American culture). I really like my wife's scent, and wanted something that I could wear that was like it. I feel that the men's retains enough homage to the women's scent that I still like it, but when I wear it, I don't draw funny looks at work. But beyond that, I think it stands on its own.

I should mention that it works really well with the shampoo and the aftershave. They seem to make the scent last longer and retain some of the notes that hold the chypre structure together. So the gift set is nice. I wouldn't buy this blind. You should definitely wear it a couple of times before deciding to drop coin on it. Some people don't like it at all, e.g., here. That reviewer doesn't think it's much of a chypre, but it works for me. I think I have a big C-spot.

Boring it smells too much like Zegna Intenso imo.. I mean the first spray of gucci is such a harsh chemical scent I can't stand it but the cool down is very sweet and reminds me a lot of Zegna Intenso minus the peppery note. I found gucci very poor when it came to lasting...

Now if you like the sweetness of gucci you might enjoy the smell of The One by Dolce Gabbana

Hillaire

I like it. The pencil-shavings smell is a big draw for me. It smells very young, though.

wayyyy boring, at least for me......

Post Thanks / Like

After reading comments, why do I have the feeling that most people confuse Gucci by Gucci por Homme (2008) with Gucci pour Homme (2003)? Well, we should not blame BNoters, rather PPR and Gucci's managers, since the name of Gucci's last launch is misleading... who had the bright idea? Was it on purpose? I just wonder.

Gucci pour Homme, launched in 2003: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html is a woody oriental that is great, wonderful, original, "does not smel like a recent launch", worth it, etc. etc.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme, launched in 2008: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129400.html is an acquatic fresh scent that is way way way way way way boring: the usual concoction, calone galore, with a twist: mint. Great if you are not into sillage and longevity and wish to smell like most people do.
    Last edited by Pollux; 26th February 2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Addition

Definitely not an improvement on Gucci PH 2.

Another bland safe scent that no one will remember in a year.

AromiErotici

This juice is like the hordes of other slightly synthetic wannabes grappling for your $$$.

Not terrible and not good either. Just very average in all aspects. I try and avoid spending my money on juice that blends into the woodwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree that this scent (the new one - "Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme") could have been much more in line with something that appeals to BNer types, rather than mass market. For instance, if they would have retained both the strength and the piercing sharp chypre of the women's EDP, but made it more masculine, with some serious homage to the one people are mistaking here ("Gucci Pour Homme"), I think it could have been a winner among serious fragrance fans. But unless you get a strong scent like that right over the plate (something as classic as Polo), it's unlikely to bring home the bacon, IMO. The reality of safe scents is, unfortunately, that light and inoffensive stuff sells.

Gucci (or really P&G) could correct this oversight by reversing what they did for the women's "by" scent (launching the EDP first, then the EDT) and coming out with the men's EDP version as something that BNers could appreciate. I can just imagine it now - a strong woody that has the ring of Rochas Lui, but instead moving out from the women's Gucci by Gucci EDP. Pencil shavings, for sure. And then throw in something novel that none of us expects. Bam! Something that we would all get excited about.

Well, we can dream, can't we?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the gucci.. the weird cap bottle.. but it's not my thing. A bit boring indeed.. no reall passion in it.
    unico grande amore.

Post Thanks / Like

nothing new under the horizon, I went through two 1 ml test and it puts me to sleep. a waste of money
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Gucci by Gucci pour Homme?

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    It is one of my favorites. I wouldn't call it modern, but I may have a different idea of what that means. It is a great scent though. Woody and church incense smelling, very dry. It is harder to find now though.
    I agree with you about Gucci pour Homme , but I think the original poster is referring to the short lasting new bottle called Gucci by Gucci pour Homme. Its got a pleasant opening and becomes almost like a musky and a bit of tobacco smell ( to me). But very short lived. Something I would not want to spend more than $15 on ( if even that).....and that is in Canadian currency. Too bad for Gucci.

AromiErotici

I apologize if I seemingly disrespected this particular fragrance, but I truly meant what I said in my above post. I'm also not trying to deter folks from trying or buying it. I simply offered my opinion, albeit it was on the negative side.

My measuring stick is the original....and even though I shouldn't do that since they're different scents, I can't help it. The new versions can't compete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I apologize if I seemingly disrespected this particular fragrance, but I truly meant what I said in my above post. I'm also not trying to deter folks from trying or buying it. I simply offered my opinion, albeit it was on the negative side.

My measuring stick is the original....and even though I shouldn't do that since they're different scents, I can't help it. The new versions can't compete.
    No offense intended - none taken!

I think that one of the greatest services we can do here for the industry is to be honest about what we like and don't like. They need that feedback. And we need to be honest with ourselves about what we like and dislike. I occasionally drop my money on "investment" fragrances, but most of the time it's something I'm going to be stuck wearing. If I like something that's unpopular, or don't like something that everybody thinks is great, I need to follow my nose and be happy, not try to meet other people's expectations.

People do like to ask what other people think, because it's a great way to get some advance information. To help them out, you've got to be honest. If you think it's a waste, you've gotta say it. It's the truth, and we owe each other that.

I was sniffing all three in Sephora today, and I was able to really see the progressive change in styles. The first is totally committed to a strong, woody style that is really pretty timeless, but it does seem like an older style. The version II really backs off from that commitment. You can see it getting lighter to suit a more modern taste, but it really loses something from the original, IMO. Finally, the "by" scent. It's light like a sport cologne, but they did add what I think are some novel chypre or pseudo-chypre features to it. Unfortunately, the longevity of those features is marginal or worse, and it's clearly because the style has been lightened to a level that doesn't really support them. For many folks, a waste of money. But I'm very sensitive to the chypre and the wood notes, and I'm really tolerant of synthetics, so it works for me.

Bottom line, I learned a lot from this thread, guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci by Gucci is aquatic? That's new to me.

All I get is a Pine scent that lasts for half an hour. The longevity is really disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear very often GUCCI POUR HOMME, the old formulation (the new one is different)...a woody- incensed parfume very linear, elegant, sophisticated.....I think it could be worn by a woman and I'm a woman and feel very comfortable wearing this scent....not boring at all, I like how incense is managed in it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As unique and innovative as the first two Gucci offerings were I was highly disappointed with Gucci By. We've definitely covered that particular ground before. Here's hoping Gucci pour Homme III is a kick in the pants back in the right direction.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had seen this thread earlier, I would've tried sniffing this fragrance instead of "Love and Luck for Men," the "new" fragrance from Ed Hardy, which, by the way, I already have on my vanity, it's called Unforgivable.

Anyway, I will go smell Gucci by Gucci and then bring an opinion back to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love and Luck was my "big loser" on my last trip to catch up on new smellies. I remembered it being a worse version of Guess Suede.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Post Thanks / Like

If you're buying it as a work or everyday frag. it smells nice enough. But if you want something more aggressive or attention grabbing I would look somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Love and Luck was my "big loser" on my last trip to catch up on new smellies. I remembered it being a worse version of Guess Suede.
    I've never smelled Guess Suede... If Dillards or Sephora doesn't sell it, I don't smell it (because I believe in having staff who are at least marginally knowledgeable about the product they sell).

Love and Luck sucking was disappointing because the original Ed Hardy actually had some unique stuff going on, as far as my price range (strictly designer) goes.

Anyway, back to Gucci by Gucci, I smelled it tonight, I found it very nice, not too heavy, but also not too light... Actually, now that I think about it... It reminds me of the Ed Hardy I was just calling unique...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The original Ed Hardy For Men was unique in that it took the likable characteristics of two popular fragrances and merged them. The two in reference would be Givenchy Pi and Dior Fahrenheit. Vanilla and pepper and those are the two biggest mainstream examples of those notes. It's quite interesting, much more than Love and Luck or, to get back to the OP, Gucci By.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp